Celtics clearly showing strong interest in Stephon Starbury

Akamu

The King
It seems most likely that Steph will join Boston, this is as hard as you can get:

Celtics seem OK with potential Marbury addition

Posted Jan 4 2009 10:24PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Boston Celtics are aware of Stephon Marbury's reputation. They're also aware they may need more depth to win another title.

<!-- FINISH 'inlineAds' -->So if general manager Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers decide the banished New York Knicks guard can help them, the Celtics players sound willing to go along with it.

Even Kevin Garnett, whose promising partnership with Marbury in Minnesota was wrecked when Marbury wanted out, said he'd give the OK if Marbury "was about making this team better."

"I'm not opposed to Steph. I feel like Steph has a lot of basketball in him and his IQ is very, very high," Garnett said Sunday after the Celtics' 100-88 loss to the Knicks. "He is one of the best point guards I've ever played with. I wouldn't be opposed to that. If Steph came to this team and made it better, I'm all for that."

The Celtics sure look like they could use some help, having lost four of their last six games following a 27-2 start.

"He's been a great talent in this league for a long time," All-Star Ray Allen said before the game. "I don't know the situation that happened with him in New York, but I know he's got a lot of basketball left in him."

It won't be played in New York, though. The Knicks haven't used Marbury this season and have ordered him to stay away while they work toward a buyout. It still hasn't been completed, because Marbury has refused to give up much or any of his nearly $21 million salary in negotiations, and there were no discussions during the holidays.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh and Marbury's representation from the NBA players' association could resume talks next week toward a divorce. If that gets completed, ESPN.com reported last week that the Celtics would be interested in signing him, confident they could deal with any questions about Marbury's character.

"People may think it's a bad idea, but I think that they could help you," point guard Rajon Rondo said of bringing in help. "Anybody that is a great player in this league that could help out -- we are 15 strong but this is a business and that's how it goes. I'm new in this league and I heard a little bit about his reputation, but I'm not going to judge him."

If the Celtics' potential pursuit of a malcontent like Marbury seems confusing, try listening to Rivers talk about it.

"I can't answer the question," he said when first asked about Marbury. "I can, but I'm not. Actually I don't think I can, but if I could, I wouldn't. So I'm just going to leave it alone."

The Celtics added veteran help late last season with the additions of P.J. Brown and Sam Cassell, who helped them win their 17th NBA championship. However, they were respected leaders, while Marbury has feuded with coaches and alienated teammates during his five years in New York.

Rivers said he didn't know Marbury, but a few Celtics do. Allen was traded for him on draft night in 1996, instead sending Marbury to the Timberwolves and the partnership with Garnett that he eventually wanted out of.

Rivers saidhe would discuss bringing in any player with his team. He would likely find support in the locker room.

"Stephon is very talented, definitely," Paul Pierce said. "I've had a chance to see him in face (to face) since I was in the 10th grade or so. It's an unfortunate situation that he's not able to be on the court right now."

-NBA.com

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Celtics seem to be disintegrating already, they seemed to get pissed with each other at times in today's game, screaming at each other.
deffinitely away from the confidence and unity they had in the beginning of December

if i was GM of the Celtics, i wouldnt risk right now. but then again, it's hard to pass on Steph, there aren't better options to improve their bench right now

Akamu

The King
I disagree, If you watched their games they are not afraid of placing blame on each other and voicing their opinions, that's a reason why they are such a good team, they have strong communication flowing between the team.

liquid347

Rookie
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3810443

Of course, Marbury remains the property of the Knicks, who are not exactly enamored of the idea of Marbury joining an Eastern Conference rival and remaining relevant well into June -- a good two months after the Knicks' own 2008-09 relevancy will have long since expired.
New York is even less enamored of Marbury possibly joining the Miami Heat -- one of the teams the Knicks expect to be contending with for one of the final playoff spots in the East. That is why team president Donnie Walsh was planning to check into the legality of whether NBA rules permit him to make a deal -- whether a handshake deal, or something in writing-- with Marbury in which New York would offer a larger buyout sum if Marbury agreed to sign with a Western Conference team. The Chicago Bulls had a handshake agreement of that sort with Tim Thomas three years ago when they bought him out and allowed him to sign with Phoenix, but it is questionable whether an outright pre-arranged divorce agreement designating which conference the bought-out player would relocate to would be allowable under NBA guidelines.
In speaking with ESPN.com prior to the game, Walsh made it clear that he plans to take his time moving forward on any Marbury resolution -- even going so far as to say he wouldn't be completey surprised if some team comes to him in the next six weeks and makes him a trade offer for Marbury in order to clear long-term salary. (To date, he said no team has made a trade offer of any sort for Marbury).

TunerAddict

Starter
Knicks should sit marbury the entire season. If he joins the Celtics, they'll be PAYING him to play against them.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
I'd love to see Boston die a slow death so I hope this happens. Stephon Marbury would destroy that franchise like he has every team he's been on. It's what he does best.

But if I were Donnie Walsh, I would not even allow this to happen. Since Marbury cannot keep quiet and continues to mock the organization by attending games and posting in blogs, he can stay in Los Angeles or whever he is for the rest of the season.

KnickfaninMA

Benchwarmer
I think its a good idea to get rid of Marbury as soon as possible so then the Knicks can move on. The knicks need more guard help.

I think that the Knicks should keep Marbury until he is fed up with the talks and just decides to take a minimum buyout.

STILL THE KNICKS NEED HIM, WHEN THEY GIVE HIM AWAY THE BIG 3 BECOMES THE BIG 4

Starks

Starter
good. put an end to this nightmare. The faster he signs with them, the faster all of you can leave ko.com and join a celtics fan site

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
good. put an end to this nightmare. The faster he signs with them, the faster all of you can leave ko.com and join a celtics fan site

If he does get bought out, im no longer a Knicks fan. But hes gonna be with us the rest of the year, I guarantee it. Donnie's a stubborn old man. Hes like Eddy Curry in a recliner with ice cream and burger King....he wont budge.

Starks

Starter
-MSG,

Are you serious about renouncing the Knicks? All those years of being a fan thrown away?

Is this the sentiment on the site?

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
-MSG,

Are you serious about renouncing the Knicks? All those years of being a fan thrown away?

Is this the sentiment on the site?

:lol:

nah im not serious. I dont consider him part of the team now. He'll be inactive until hes after this year. Ill follow him wherever he goes but Im a knicks fan til Im 6 feet deep and even then...:gony:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Marbury and Boston

Boston's trading Cassell for a future pick and opening up a roster spot is significant.

The silence for some time now of both Marbury and the Knicks about his future and a buy-out is also significant. There must be some tacit understandings.

Something is going to happen, probably right after 3:00 p.m. on Thursday when the trading deadline is passed. There will likely be procalmations that the Knicks tried to trade Marbury's expiring contract, but were unsuccessful.

Torp

Benchwarmer
Yeah what is up with that Sam Cassel trade... Is this freeing up space for Marbury? And what would we get in return?

smokes

Huge Member
Yeah what is up with that Sam Cassel trade... Is this freeing up space for Marbury? And what would we get in return?

Nothing, they aren't trading for him they're gonna pick him up out of free agency if we release him. At the moment there's no reason to release him. Hopefully we can pull of some trade with another team but doubtful.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Marburys going nowhere til after this year. Its a waste of time to talk about this.

Rady...please close this thread and all other threads concerning Starbury.

portega1968

El Cacique

they obviously intend on signing someone soon.. could be marbs, could be PJ Brown, maybe even Reggie Miller or Charles Barkley, who knows!!!!

what we get in return? the priviledge of having paid Marbury $20 million for zippo, zero, nada!!!