Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Analysis on David Lee

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Analysis on David Lee

    Is David Lee worth 8-10 million a year?

    Here is a list of starting PFs doing better then Lee this season. We will use this season because this is Lee's best season:

    Dirk Nowitzki
    Amar'e Stoudemire
    Kevin Garnett
    Rashard Lewis
    Al Jefferson
    Nene Hilario
    Antawn Jamison
    Carlos Boozer (before injury)
    Chris Bosh
    Pau Gasol
    Rasheed Wallace
    David West
    Tim Duncan
    Paul Millsap
    Zach Randolph (before injury, arguable)

    His career growth on Lee's apparent strengths (points per minute, rebounds per minute)

    05-06 0.31 p/m 0.27 r/m
    06-07 0.36 p/m 0.35 r/m
    07-08 0.37 p/m 0.31 r/m
    08-09 0.43 p/m 0.32 r/m

    There has been some growth, and some improvement statistically.

    Here is some things about Lee most people agree on:

    +Great rebounder
    +Great teammate adds to team chemistry
    +Great Hustle, hard worker
    +Fits in D'antoni's system
    +Very well-liked by all knick's fans.

    -Lacks a consistent jumpshot or rage
    -Lacks defense
    -Lacks a consistent post-up game
    -Lacks play off experience

    My take on this:

    David Lee is an overrated power forward for some knick fans and a VERY underrated power forward to the rest of the NBA. I cannot tell you how many times that a basketball fan has said to me David who? David Lee fits very well in this system and we should make every attempt to keep him; however, David Lee is not worth 8-10 million on this team.

    Come 2010, David Lee will not be the number one guy. He will not be the number two guy. He may not even be the number three guy. Come 2010, David Lee may be coming off the bench and playing 15-20 minutes depending who we sign, that is not worth 8-10 million. I can very well see us getting Lebron, Bosh, or Amare and with chandler developing quickly, who looks like a better defender, there might not be room for David Lee in the starting line up.

    David Lee has not grown very much in his NBA career. He has gotten a little better. He has improved more on his strengths; however, he has yet to make any strides at his weaknesses. Where is that jumpshot he has been working at? Where is his offensive and defensive post game? Where is his overall defense?

    8-10 Million will keep us from getting two superstars. We will get one superstar and have David Lee. David Lee is not a superstar. Why would I want one superstar and David Lee vs Two superstars?

    8-10 Million might keep us from signing Nate Robinson, Chris Duhon, Wilson Chandler, Gallo, or a young talent. We could probably get two of those guys for 8-10 million a year.

    We do not need David Lee to attract basketball players to NYK. Players want to play in NYK and they want to play for D'antoni. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Joe Johnson, etc. aren't going to this "Well, sh*t the knicks got rid of D.Lee, F this!".

    Note in the beginning I said David Lee is not worth 8-10 million on this team. He could very well be worth that money on another team. He could be worth that as an individual player. He isn't worth that to the knicks. It isn't his fault, its more like Isiahs. If we didn't sign James, Curry, Jefferies, etc for all that money, then we could keep Lee and take a chance. But we did sign those people and we can't get rid of them easily. Sorry D Lee.

  2. #2
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I think People are wildly overrating David Lee because of this system. I feel if we get another hardworking Power Forward in the Draft he would put up similar numbers (maybe a little bit worse).

    edit:

    I honestly thought Balkman was a better overall player than Lee for this system.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    0

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by clumsy
    I think People are wildly overrating David Lee because of this system. I feel if we get another hardworking Power Forward in the Draft he would put up similar numbers (maybe a little bit worse).

    edit:

    I honestly thought Balkman was a better overall player than Lee for this system.
    David Lee is overrated by Knicks fans and also around the league. He is worth about 8 million tops as a sixth man. The only way the Knicks should keep him is IF they can sign him for no more than 8 million AND they can trade Curry AND Jeffries. For an analysis on this, please see [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    That's the only way to keep Lee and still have it fit into the long term plans. Paying him any more than that means paying a sixth man star money, and last I checked, Isiah isn't the GM anymore.

    As for Balkman, how can a a bricklayer fit into this system? I guess Jeffries is one, and maybe Balkman has Jeffries potential, but Balkman also doesn't have a brain in his head, or any work ethic. To compare Balkman to Lee is just...just...

  4. #4
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    [As for Balkman, how can a a bricklayer fit into this system? I guess Jeffries is one, and maybe Balkman has Jeffries potential, but Balkman also doesn't have a brain in his head, or any work ethic. To compare Balkman to Lee is just...just...[/quote]

    well. balkman would be the knick's best defensive player. He's pretty athletic. And i feel he would get transition buckets with an up tempo offense. Also i'm not sold on Lee's shot anymore. He's not confident enough in it.

  5. #5
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    wrong.....

  6. #6
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by jeckomaru
    Is David Lee worth 8-10 million a year?

    Here is a list of starting PFs doing better then Lee this season. We will use this season because this is Lee's best season:

    Dirk Nowitzki
    Amar'e Stoudemire
    Kevin Garnett
    Rashard Lewis
    Al Jefferson
    Nene Hilario
    Antawn Jamison
    Carlos Boozer (before injury)
    Chris Bosh
    Pau Gasol
    Rasheed Wallace
    David West
    Tim Duncan
    Paul Millsap
    Zach Randolph (before injury, arguable)

    His career growth on Lee's apparent strengths (points per minute, rebounds per minute)

    05-06 0.31 p/m 0.27 r/m
    06-07 0.36 p/m 0.35 r/m
    07-08 0.37 p/m 0.31 r/m
    08-09 0.43 p/m 0.32 r/m

    There has been some growth, and some improvement statistically.

    Here is some things about Lee most people agree on:

    +Great rebounder
    +Great teammate adds to team chemistry
    +Great Hustle, hard worker
    +Fits in D'antoni's system
    +Very well-liked by all knick's fans.

    -Lacks a consistent jumpshot or rage
    -Lacks defense
    -Lacks a consistent post-up game
    -Lacks play off experience

    My take on this:

    David Lee is an overrated power forward for some knick fans and a VERY underrated power forward to the rest of the NBA. I cannot tell you how many times that a basketball fan has said to me David who? David Lee fits very well in this system and we should make every attempt to keep him; however, David Lee is not worth 8-10 million on this team.

    Come 2010, David Lee will not be the number one guy. He will not be the number two guy. He may not even be the number three guy. Come 2010, David Lee may be coming off the bench and playing 15-20 minutes depending who we sign, that is not worth 8-10 million. I can very well see us getting Lebron, Bosh, or Amare and with chandler developing quickly, who looks like a better defender, there might not be room for David Lee in the starting line up.

    David Lee has not grown very much in his NBA career. He has gotten a little better. He has improved more on his strengths; however, he has yet to make any strides at his weaknesses. Where is that jumpshot he has been working at? Where is his offensive and defensive post game? Where is his overall defense?

    8-10 Million will keep us from getting two superstars. We will get one superstar and have David Lee. David Lee is not a superstar. Why would I want one superstar and David Lee vs Two superstars?

    8-10 Million might keep us from signing Nate Robinson, Chris Duhon, Wilson Chandler, Gallo, or a young talent. We could probably get two of those guys for 8-10 million a year.

    We do not need David Lee to attract basketball players to NYK. Players want to play in NYK and they want to play for D'antoni. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Joe Johnson, etc. aren't going to this "Well, sh*t the knicks got rid of D.Lee, F this!".

    Note in the beginning I said David Lee is not worth 8-10 million on this team. He could very well be worth that money on another team. He could be worth that as an individual player. He isn't worth that to the knicks. It isn't his fault, its more like Isiahs. If we didn't sign James, Curry, Jefferies, etc for all that money, then we could keep Lee and take a chance. But we did sign those people and we can't get rid of them easily. Sorry D Lee.
    lee is still young, did lebron develop that jumper of his overnight? no, not for 3 seasons....he will develop a jumper if he works hard at it. how can you say he lacks defense?? because he cant stop dwight howard or nene or any other big centre? name one pf in the league that can! he lacks playoff experience!?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA, UR GONNA HOLD THAT AGAINST LEE??? WHO PLAYED HIS ENTIRE CAREER WITH A DISFUNCTIONAL TEAM?? LMAO ur just searching for reasons to hate on dude....roll out

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    0

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by clumsy
    [As for Balkman, how can a a bricklayer fit into this system? I guess Jeffries is one, and maybe Balkman has Jeffries potential, but Balkman also doesn't have a brain in his head, or any work ethic. To compare Balkman to Lee is just...just...
    well. balkman would be the knick's best defensive player. He's pretty athletic. And i feel he would get transition buckets with an up tempo offense. Also i'm not sold on Lee's shot anymore. He's not confident enough in it.[/quote]

    I don't think Balkman would've been completely useless. He's a good push man and dunker. He also plays some D. But he's not comparable to Lee. Like I said, maybe he'll be a nicer version of Jeffries one day.

  8. #8
    Superstar WVKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    655
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Toons
    lee is still young, did lebron develop that jumper of his overnight? no, not for 3 seasons....he will develop a jumper if he works hard at it. how can you say he lacks defense?? because he cant stop dwight howard or nene or any other big centre? name one pf in the league that can! he lacks playoff experience!?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA, UR GONNA HOLD THAT AGAINST LEE??? WHO PLAYED HIS ENTIRE CAREER WITH A DISFUNCTIONAL TEAM?? LMAO ur just searching for reasons to hate on dude....roll out
    Toons,save your breath b/c you are just wasting time trying to convince some of the people on here that Lee deserves to be on this team.

  9. #9
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by DanL
    well. balkman would be the knick's best defensive player. He's pretty athletic. And i feel he would get transition buckets with an up tempo offense. Also i'm not sold on Lee's shot anymore. He's not confident enough in it.
    I don't think Balkman would've been completely useless. He's a good push man and dunker. He also plays some D. But he's not comparable to Lee. Like I said, maybe he'll be a nicer version of Jeffries one day.[/QUOTE]

    balkman is not a good defender in my book, a good defender does not rack up fouls an curse out refs n airball free throws....(sry, i had to add the other 2, cuz balkman sucks )

  10. #10
    Member Arod2k9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    447
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    We are not picking on Lee, he is in a tough situation. We are talking about Walsh, who is consider one of the best GM's in the league, making this desicion. There is absolutely no chance he gets re-sign by Knicks, but I think he will flourish in Portland a team that is already built to contend. Thing is signing Lee prevents us from getting 2 great players do you get me now? Or you want to be a cheerleader of the this great 25 win Knick team? Common freaking sense bro, this argument shouldn't be taking place.

  11. #11
    Member rollingstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I like Lee, and I think that he has put as much effort into his career as anyone.
    For him as a person, I wish he gets paid big money somewhere, because it would simply be just. This league is overpaying too many bums with no heart.

    But Knicks have suffered a lot in the last 10 years because of poor cap management, and I wish every cap decision for the next 5 years is a winner for us.
    Lee at 8-10 mil is a risk, because that decision would be based more on potential - that he develops defence, that he develops range, that he adaps well to June pressure, that he isnt another Diaw inflated by D'Antoni. And I'm not sure he would develop much more tbh.
    At best, he would be worth those money. At worst, he wouldn't live up to it and be overpayed. Almost surely, he wouldn't exceed that contract.

    I believe that in 2010 Walsh can bring us players that won't depend on potential. A few superstars with good playoff experience and a bunch of hard-nosed veterans.
    Let Memphis, Minnesota, Indiana, Cleveland and all the other small market teams bet their futures on potential. We here are in position to be the bad guys and attract the players they develop for reasonable and sometimes even cheap prices.
    Lets use it.

  12. #12
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    whats so hot about having 2 stars? personally i dont think we need 2. Iverson and melo didnt work....

  13. #13
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    duhon
    chandler
    lebron
    Lee
    Draft pick (thabeet or camby)

    you dont think that is a championship calliber starting 5?

  14. #14
    Veteran GetRealistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,370
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Toons
    duhon
    chandler
    lebron
    Lee
    Draft pick (thabeet or camby)

    you dont think that is a championship calliber starting 5?
    No i don't at all. I think his cleveland 5 is superior to that starting five.


    I'm with all of your guys, if Lee wants 6-8 million then bring him back. But if he wants 10 million plus, its time for us to explore trades and get the most assets we can for him. Theres not even any rush to trade him this season because we can trade him in the offseason in a sign and trade move (like the crawford trade).

    Same goes for Nate if he wants 4-6 million bring him back but if some team tries to throw aound 8 million at him you have to let him go as well.

  15. #15
    Veteran JayJ44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,700
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Toons
    whats so hot about having 2 stars? personally i dont think we need 2. Iverson and melo didnt work....
    AI and Melo didn't work because they both need the ball in their hands to be successful. Which is why we need to get 2 players that complement each other. Such as Lebron and Bosh/Amare, or Wade and Bosh/Amare.

Similar Threads

  1. Is Now the right time to trade David Lee?
    By New New York in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Nov 17, 2008, 19:59
  2. Religulous
    By LJ4ptplay in forum Hangout
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2008, 14:10
  3. ESPN ANALYSIS: START DAVID LEE and NATE
    By CoolClyde in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Jan 15, 2008, 11:18
  4. David Lee New Dimension
    By Kiyaman in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Oct 15, 2007, 12:21
  5. One Day I can see David Lee
    By Kiyaman in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Sep 12, 2007, 14:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •