Analysis on David Lee

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer
lee is still young, did lebron develop that jumper of his overnight? no, not for 3 seasons....he will develop a jumper if he works hard at it. how can you say he lacks defense?? because he cant stop dwight howard or nene or any other big centre? name one pf in the league that can! he lacks playoff experience!?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA, UR GONNA HOLD THAT AGAINST LEE??? WHO PLAYED HIS ENTIRE CAREER WITH A DISFUNCTIONAL TEAM?? LMAO ur just searching for reasons to hate on dude....roll out

Everyone, i'm siding with Toons on this one! everything he said is 100% true. LEE is worth more to this team than anyone knows. Pay him the 8-10 mil, and for the record no younger knicks player on this team has playoff experience, Robinson doesn't, chandler doesn't, and as for the rest of the team, they really dont either! DONT BE HATIN ON LEE!!!!

Paul1355

All Star
I think People are wildly overrating David Lee because of this system. I feel if we get another hardworking Power Forward in the Draft he would put up similar numbers (maybe a little bit worse).

edit:

I honestly thought Balkman was a better overall player than Lee for this system.

Anyone who thinks Balkman is better than Lee in any system needs to re-watch the Knicks game that Balkman played in.

Balkman is horrible.

KnickfaninMA

Benchwarmer
Keep Dlee

I gotta agree with toons, I think Derek Lee is currently the best player on the Knicks. But what do I know, I only get to watch a few knicks games a year up here in beantown. The guy is a beast! Don't be fooled guys, putting a bunch of superstars or great players on our team will not equal a playoff team or even a great record. The wizards got their big three, and they aren't winning a championship with those guys. The Knicks need players like David Lee who play with passion. I would be happy having Lebron and then a good big man with our young guys and some role players. That would probably be more of a championship caliber team, because we will be hungrier.

CoolClyde

David Lee 3721

Is David Lee worth 8-10 million a year?
+Great rebounder
+Great teammate adds to team chemistry
+Great Hustle, hard worker
+Fits in D'antoni's system
+Very well-liked by all knick's fans.

-Lacks a consistent jumpshot or rage
-Lacks defense
-Lacks a consistent post-up game
-Lacks play off experience

...I said David Lee is not worth 8-10 million on this team. He could very well be worth that money on another team. He could be worth that as an individual player. He isn't worth that to the knicks. It isn't his fault, its more like Isiahs. If we didn't sign James, Curry, Jefferies, etc for all that money, then we could keep Lee and take a chance. But we did sign those people and we can't get rid of them easily. Sorry D Lee.

I think the DLEE pros outweigh the cons. Half the cons are invalid and weak. After trading our top rebounder and 2 top scorers to clear capspace for Lebron's 2010 eggs, I hope Donnie D'arko keep DLEE a Knick for the positive reasons named above. Losing contributing players in order to make up for past money mistakes has got to stop at some point. Lose the lesser players on this team and their respective contracts (everyone other than Harrington, Chandler, Duhon, Nate), and you've got the money to pay DLEE. Even if he's worth 5-7 million/per in your opinion, add on the positives you name (ie: how much better is DLEE than Jeffries/James and what they're making), and David Lee is worth the extra 2-3 million dollars that he brings to this Knick team. David Lee makes things happen, he is the man.

TunerAddict

Starter
lee is still young, did lebron develop that jumper of his overnight? no, not for 3 seasons....he will develop a jumper if he works hard at it. how can you say he lacks defense?? because he cant stop dwight howard or nene or any other big centre? name one pf in the league that can! he lacks playoff experience!?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA, UR GONNA HOLD THAT AGAINST LEE??? WHO PLAYED HIS ENTIRE CAREER WITH A DISFUNCTIONAL TEAM?? LMAO ur just searching for reasons to hate on dude....roll out

When the **** did LeBron get a jumper?

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
When the **** did LeBron get a jumper?

hahaha lmao

on topic, why is everyone suddenly comparing Lee and LeBron?
i mean, not only Lee isn't Lebron, but he's also almost 26.

u guys are telling me that Lee can develop at 26+, because Lebron developed at 20-24?
what kind of argument is that?

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Dammit,

I just read that Nuggets traded Atkins/'09 1st Round Pick to Thunder for Petro/'10 2nd Round.

This negates the trade of Lee to Denver and us getting 2 first round picks. Now with Carmelo's broken hand Nuggets might miss the playoffs and the '09 pick would have been a lottery or at least Top 20. That meant us having two picks instead of only one this year in the first round. Remember Knicks don't own a 2010 1st round pick so the Knicks trading Lee to Denver would have been smart. What the hell is Walsh thinking is going to a star for Lee? He is NOT a star yet so you basically you trade him for expiring contracts and picks.

Wow, I'm stunned and suprised that the Thunder beat us to this. As bad as OKC is their future is much brighter than ours. They have Durant, Green, Westbrook! They have another lottery pick next year combine with Denver's 1st round pick who might turn out to be in the Top 20. In addition, they have a bunch of second rounders for the next couple of years. Great move by Thunder and awful move by Knicks.

JayJ44

Starter
Dammit,

I just read that Nuggets traded Atkins/'09 1st Round Pick to Thunder for Petro/'10 2nd Round.

This negates the trade of Lee to Denver and us getting 2 first round picks. Now with Carmelo's broken hand Nuggets might miss the playoffs and the '09 pick would have been a lottery or at least Top 20. That meant us having two picks instead of only one this year in the first round. Remember Knicks don't own a 2010 1st round pick so the Knicks trading Lee to Denver would have been smart. What the hell is Walsh thinking is going to a star for Lee? He is NOT a star yet so you basically you trade him for expiring contracts and picks.

Wow, I'm stunned and suprised that the Thunder beat us to this. As bad as OKC is their future is much brighter than ours. They have Durant, Green, Westbrook! They have another lottery pick next year combine with Denver's 1st round pick who might turn out to be in the Top 20. In addition, they have a bunch of second rounders for the next couple of years. Great move by Thunder and awful move by Knicks.

Denver is still definitely gonna make the playoffs. They're still not bad, even without Melo. They beat Miami tonight. They're still gonna be top 6 in the west.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
Dammit,

and while Carmelo is out, Kleiza will start and get numbers like 21-7 tonight. and he only turned 24 last week. Yea, we should have pushed harder for that Kleiza,picks for Lee deal.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
and while Carmelo is out, Kleiza will start and get numbers like 21-7 tonight. and he only turned 24 last week. Yea, we should have pushed harder for that Kleiza,picks for Lee deal.

Donnie slept big time here,

What is he scare people won't buy tickets if Lee is traded? Give me a break, we need to built through the draft/free agency not by re-signing our own crap and put aside fans sentiments for Lee. He is not getting a star this year, as wide open as the NBA is this year. Anybody can beat anybody, so I see it as teams contending will give away draft picks/expiring contracts since they feel they're one player away. Donnie threw away the season by trading Crawford/Randolph and I thought those were really good moves to get under the cap in two years. However, he has to get future considerations for Lee/Nate/Rose and start from ground up. The more picks you have the better chances you have of moving up in the draft and getting your player.

Our franchise has been curse since Ewing Left:

Allan Houston's 100 mil stupid deal by Layden.
Antonio Mcdyess knee injury.
Hiring Isiah Thomas.
The trade of Curry for 2 unprotected lottery picks. With the pick in '06 could of had Brandon Roy or Rudy Gay.
The trade of Marbury/Penny that got us 142 mil from Suns and we gave up expiring contracts of Ward/Mcdyess/1st round pick/2nd round picks. The money that the Suns saved they got 2 time MVP Nash.
Gallinari's mysterious back injury.

Make the trade now or you risk a Lee injury and us not getting anything in return. Hate to be so pessimistic but is the way things have gone for us Knick fans.

clumsy

Rotation player
Balkman put up 4 blocks and 3 blocks when he got consistent time in Denver. I remember Balkman being awesome defensively when he was a Knick (could also be cuz we are a garbage defensive team). Granted he has no offensive awareness....but a lockdown defender is much more valuable role player. Why??? Cuz you can sign that dude for like 2 or 3 mil for many years. He could have been what Jared Jeffries real market value is (tho i guess Jared Jeff is 6'11'')

Lee will never put up 4 blocks. I mean....let's be real are you only watching him on the offensive side of the ball. He is Udonis Haslam. A bigman that can't block. A nice role player. Haslam makes 6.8 and i would be very happy if Lee got that sort of money. If he makes 6.8mil, he is NOT overrated, we are getting him at market value.

If you pay him 10 it is a terrible signing in the vein of giving Allan Houston that 100 mil contract.

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
Lee is currently overrated in New York and around the league because he's the best player on the Knicks (which is not saying much) and because current circumstances are ideal for him to excel and put up good stats.

The Knicks have no rebounding and little inside scoring since the Randolph trade. Combine that with the faster pace the Knicks are playing at and you have a recipe for Lee putting up some very good rebounding numbers and better than his typical scoring average.

On a good team with a solid rebounding center, Lee would be more or less a 10 and 8 guy. Not that that's terrrible, but he's still just a very solid backup PF that can also fill in as a starter on a bad team or if there's an injury etc...
Look around the league. It's really not that hard to find a PF that can average 9-10 rebounds "per 36 minutes". It's also not that hard to find one that's a pretty efficient scorer around the basket. What's difficult to find is someone that can do those things plus block shots, play great defense, post up well, shoot well from the outside shot etc.... (some combination of those other things)

If Lee stays around for 2010 beyond, that would be fine. But right now his price is so high relative his real value, it probably makes some sense to try to trade him instead of signing him for 10 million or letting him walk. If we could get him for 6M-8M, that would be a different story.

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
Anyone who thinks Balkman is better than Lee in any system needs to re-watch the Knicks game that Balkman played in.

Balkman is horrible.

Balkman's fans like him because he's an efficient scorer around the basket, an above average rebounder for a SF, and a good defender. I guess that's a lot to like for a role player. But his fans tend to overrate him. He's such a terrible outside shooter and offensive thinker it's easy for defenders sag off him and double team other players. That doesn't show up in his stats. It shows up as weaker stats for some of his teamates. It's very hard to play basketball 4 against 5 on offense unless that 5th guy brings immense talent to the defensive end or the team has some extraordinary offensive talent to go along with him.

There is a reason Isiah didn't play him much, Walsh and D'Antoni didn't even want him, and right now in Denver he gets garbage minutes or DNP Coach's Decision almost every night.

Paul1355

All Star
Balkman put up 4 blocks and 3 blocks when he got consistent time in Denver. I remember Balkman being awesome defensively when he was a Knick (could also be cuz we are a garbage defensive team). Granted he has no offensive awareness....but a lockdown defender is much more valuable role player. Why??? Cuz you can sign that dude for like 2 or 3 mil for many years. He could have been what Jared Jeffries real market value is (tho i guess Jared Jeff is 6'11'')

Lee will never put up 4 blocks. I mean....let's be real are you only watching him on the offensive side of the ball. He is Udonis Haslam. A bigman that can't block. A nice role player. Haslam makes 6.8 and i would be very happy if Lee got that sort of money. If he makes 6.8mil, he is NOT overrated, we are getting him at market value.

If you pay him 10 it is a terrible signing in the vein of giving Allan Houston that 100 mil contract.

One big difference about Lee and Balkman is that Balkman is consistently horrible while Lee improves weaknesses in his game and it's only a matter of time were he starts getting some blocks.

He can block shots he just NEVER puts his hands up or attempts a block. Mike Dantoni has to engrave fundamental defense on this team if he wants to see anyone get a block.

And Lee is a poor defender. Any guy he defends turns into an offensive weapon. If Lee improves his defense...his value soars.

DanL

Rookie
David Lee averages 17 and 13 rebounds per 40 minutes while shooting .565 from the field and posting a PER of 18.02. He’s known for his hustle, rebounding, and solid finishing skills around the basket. Lee is expected to command an average annual salary in the range of $10 million a year when he becomes a free agent this summer.

Carl Landry is averaging 16 points and 10 rebounds per 40 minutes while shooting .565 from the field and posting a PER of 17.71. He’s known for his hustle, rebounding, and solid finishing skills around the basket. Carl Landry signed a 3 year contract this past off season at $3 million per year.
What’s the difference between David Lee and Carl Landry?

http://www.knicksfan.net/?p=368

clumsy

Rotation player
Do you honestly want this question answered (i am going to wait for everyone to call me a racist).

He is white. Playing in the biggest market. And he is GOOD. (There is A LOT of money to be made marketing him) There you go.

oh yah he's american too.

rollingstone

Benchwarmer
The difference is that Landry never actually played 40 minutes a game.
He's one of those statistical wonders that look good when u calculate 'per 40', but not so good when u really make them play 40

Renaldo Balkman is a 15-10, .551, 17 PER guy too if u calculate his "per 40". but that's because he's playing garbage minutes and gets DNP-CD in close games

Last edited:

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
rollingstone,

Can you get a different picture of the Oak man please? He is chest bumping Ewing, but he's wearing a suit! I'm such a Patrick fan but seeing him in suit reminds me of down time here in New York.

:thumbsup: