Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: "The Message"...influences of hip-hop/rap music

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Listen to his three albums.
    Then speak to me.
    I listened to all of his albums the day they came out, even to mixtapes back when he started. He ain't the G.O.A.T. probably the greatest Latino MC, but that about it.

Streetdreams, that's a good assessment. 8th to 12th place is where many people have put him in.

this is my top ten (in order):

1- Nasty Nas
    2- Rakim the God MC
    3- Notorious
    4- Tupac
    5- Jay-z
    6- KRS-ONE
    7- Q-tip
    8- eminem
    9- common
    10- ice cube

I would have put mobb deep and Wu-tang in the list but they are groups.

awesome thread, but what do you guys think about d-pryde? a 15 year old using youtube to get publicity to try and get a record deal

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

theres one of his betta songs

u guys think hes a star in the making or a wanna-be artist? jst curious on otha opinions, i obv like the stuff he makes

Originally Posted by dpryde
    awesome thread, but what do you guys think about d-pryde? a 15 year old using youtube to get publicity to try and get a record deal

theres one of his betta songs

u guys think hes a star in the making or a wanna-be artist? jst curious on otha opinions, i obv like the stuff he makes
    StreetDreams presents: a review

1. the HATERS MAKE ME FAMOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS= Gay!

2. No need for autotune. its so overused and so overrated, but its "meh" here

3. "your lines is too used like that auto tune ****"- AND THE DUDE IS USING AUTOTUNE!!!!!

4. If you want to fit in with the crowdhomeboy's doing it.

3. the phrase itself "still fly" is overused all by itsellf. if there are any rappers on this forum whos not MSG, myself, or Sly, yall should know and yall better know, be original.

2.5/5 Props
    Doesn't TOTALLY suck, but try again.
    Last edited by StreetDreams21; May 18, 2009 at 23:05.

Originally Posted by StreetDreams21

3. "your lines is too used like that auto tune ****"- AND THE DUDE IS USING AUTOTUNE!!!!!

4. If you want to fit in with the crown, homeboy's doing it.

3. the phrase itself "still fly" is overused all by itsellf. if there are any rappers on this forum whos not MSG, myself, or Sly, yall should know and yall better know, be original.

2.5/5 Props
    i dont know as much as you guys (SLY, streetdreams, etc.), but this review is pretty much dead on. ill admit i thought the kid was a joke at first look, but he does have talent. i agree almost completely with streetdreams. id give him a 3/5 though.
    Last edited by knickzrulezH20; May 19, 2009 at 04:56.

Originally Posted by knickzrulezH20
    i dont know as much as you guys (SLY, sweetdreams, etc.), but this review is pretty much dead on. ill admit i thought the kid was a joke at first look, but he does have talent. i agree almost completely with sweetdreams. id give him a 3/5 though.
    Thank you. 3 would have been my 2nd thought. dudes 15, he still has potential. but man, its ok to write a songl ike that, but you have to be original. damn actually, i keep it a 2, because Drake wrote the chorus and original song, i didnt realize it was a cover, thats whyi keep it a 2.5.

"haters this, hater that"
    -yawnnn-

and uhmm, did you call me sweetdreams?!?!?!?

for reference

for any of yal rappers who wanna jack these here rhymes, its cause yall jealous that theres some people keepin it real.

radio disgusts me, cept for kid cudi

Thank you. 3 would have been my 2nd thought. dudes 15, he still has potential. but man, its ok to write a songl ike that, but you have to be original. damn actually, i keep it a 2, because Drake wrote the chorus and original song, i didnt realize it was a cover, thats whyi keep it a 2.5.

"haters this, hater that"
    -yawnnn-

and uhmm, did you call me sweetdreams?!?!?!?
    lmao ma b bro, thts wat happens when im typin at like 12 and tired as ****, i changed it lol

SLY's old-school Tuesdays:

Joint Of The Day:

Mobb Deep ft. Nas- It's Mine

Classic Joint. Rap music at it's finest.

4. If you want to fit in with the crowdhomeboy's doing it.

2.5/5 Props
    i dont know as much as you guys (SLY, streetdreams, etc.), but this review is pretty much dead on. ill admit i thought the kid was a joke at first look, but he does have talent. i agree almost completely with streetdreams. id give him a 3/5 though.

To me, that **** was garbage. He sounds like the wack rappers that are out now. Not original at all. Clearly he idolizes the **** that's out these days.

it's very simple. if you're influences are ****ty rappers, then you will become a ****ty rapper.

Yeah, that is true. No matter when genre, you always sound like your inspirations. I honestly think my own style sounds alot like Big L, Nas, and Common, three of my biggest inspirations that made me want to pick up a pen and write.

ALso, i think intellectuality should be common in rap. All these rappers ran out of ideas of have none. I hate to admit it, but Lil Wayne before 2006 was decent. Then the media took over and made him the hip pop king. And soulja boy, making millions to say TURN MY SWAG ONNNN YOUUUUUU!! Smart rappers have more ideas, and know exactly what they're doing. For example, in school, Nas said himself that he sucked at everything except reading and writing. ( cant remember which site).

That explains alot, doesn't it?

We need smart rappers to come out and burst on the mainstream, it cant stay underground. Hiphop needs a new movement. i cant stand this stuff,

Yeah, that is true. No matter when genre, you always sound like your inspirations. I honestly think my own style sounds alot like Big L, Nas, and Common, three of my biggest inspirations that made me want to pick up a pen and write.

ALso, i think intellectuality should be common in rap. All these rappers ran out of ideas of have none. I hate to admit it, but Lil Wayne before 2006 was decent. Then the media took over and made him the hip pop king. And , making millions to say TURN MY SWAG ONNNN YOUUUUUU!! Smart rappers have more ideas, and know exactly what they're doing. For example, in school, Nas said himself that he sucked at everything except reading and writing. ( cant remember which site). soulja boy

That explains alot, doesn't it?

We need smart rappers to come out and burst on the mainstream, it cant stay underground. Hiphop needs a new movement. i cant stand this stuff,
    please dont insult this thread by mentioning you-know-who. hes on a one way road to destroy hip-hop

please dont insult this thread by mentioning you-know-who. hes on a one way road to destroy hip-hop
    Hes been mentioned several times before. about when he said nas killed hiphop.

What a retard. he should just call himself a pure pop artist, and be done.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by SLY1984
    I listened to all of his albums the day they came out, even to mixtapes back when he started. He ain't the G.O.A.T. probably the greatest Latino MC, but that about it.

Streetdreams, that's a good assessment. 8th to 12th place is where many people have put him in.

this is my top ten (in order):

1- Nasty Nas
    2- Rakim the God MC
    3- Notorious
    4- Tupac
    5- Jay-z
    6- KRS-ONE
    7- Q-tip
    8- eminem
    9- common
    10- ice cube

I would have put mobb deep and Wu-tang in the list but they are groups.

I don't see why a MC gotta be judge on his back ground.

Q-Tip Eminem and Common on a top ten is questionable.

knickzrulezH20, no one can destroy Hip Hop since its a culture within. You live it or you don't.

Can he water down the quality of rap entertainment?
    Yes.
    The watering down of rap has been exclusive since Pun's death.

Heres whats in my list
    Beatnuts
    Big Pun
    Busta Rhymes
    Company Flow
    Dead Prez
    Del
    DMX
    Heiroglyphics
    Eric B and Rakim
    Fabulous
    Fat Joe(90's ****....you guys stay ****ing sleep...too attached to TRL's/BET's top 10)
    Gangstarr
    Grandmaster Flash
    Ice
    Immortal Technique
    Jay-Z
    KRS One
    Ludacris
    Lox
    Mystikal
    Mobb Deep
    Nas
    NWA
    BIG
    Outkast
    Pharcyde
    Planet Patrol
    Royce 59
    Souls of Micheif
    Tempo
    Too Short
    Vico C
    W-Tang

imo, 97-2001 was my favorite era....

These are 2 great songs:

It's Dark and Hell is Hot is one of the greatest albums ever. DMX is underrated, IMO.

Him and Nas make a good duo:

They should make a cd together.

Always loved my hip-hop music although must admit I'm slowly drifting away from it as it hasn't got that feel to it anymore.

The 90's was easily the best era of hip-hop, so many big names who rapped and sang about 'real' issues with the main focus on flow and rhyme. These days its just rappers peddling the same old **** (The mainstream ones anyway), but I suppose that's the business it has become.