Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Danilo Gallinari vs Wilson Chandler

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    \
    good points and i didnt know that Gallo actually played the SG spot so your combination can work.

Gallinari is showing the ability to defend players and block shots so to say he is a abd defender is wrong.

Gallo and Chandler can both defend.
    And can both be a dangerous combo in the future.
    Sure... in fact he is 2,08 m, but if you see he hasn't a so strong body to play hard physically, he doesn't jump too much to take all the rebounds, but he has a good technique, rapidity in movements, good penetrations abilities and, above all, a good 3pt shoot, characteristics of a SG and SF.
    The height will help him to do everything better

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by datruth
    chandler, just because he's 20 times better defender
    Gallo's defense has been flawless.

Proud Warrior, NBA isn't that physical either. I mean look at Wade and how easy he gets to the free throw line. Many would say Euroleague has been more physical/their game is similar to how NBA was played in the 80's.

Kiyaman, I respect your post.
    I guess I'll let Gallo's performance take the place of me presenting an argument.

I'm normally accurate with predictions.

Gallo has all star potential, seriously.
    I'm not too sure about Chandler. Just reminds me of Bobby Simmons with his production and efficiency.

Bobby Simmons with a lesser jumpshot.

Chandler shoots 30% from 3pt...and 41% from FG. Those are some Crawful numbers.

I'm not too confident about Chandler being given a big role on this team.

Chandler's intensity isn't there all the time too, sometimes he could get lost in he game. I mean, when he's on, he's obviously an impact. But theres a reason why he was picked in the late first round. Not many scouts expected him to be anything special. He's actually peaking above expectations right now...14 ppg isn't really something to wow about. Huge imporvement from last year, but still...Knicks nation are putting too much stock into him. I know he's 21...but just because someone is young gives them the pass all the time. A lot of young dudes just stay at a certain throughout their careers unless their name is Dwight Howard or Lebron James.

Can we agree Wilson Chandler isn't as aggressive as he should be?

I mean Paul hit it right on head in the Big **** thread.

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    If Chandler doesnt play aggressive basketball, drive the lane and get to the foul line then you will eventually see Gallo take over his spot.

Before Gallo played this year..Chandler had ALOT of game were he shot horribly from the field and didnt even played aggressive and just chucked up shots.

Chandler still has some things to learn.

The talent is there for Chandler but the discipline to know what your good at is still a challenge for him. He does the wrong things too much...example he shoots to many three's when he is obviously a better 2 point shooter.

The one thing that stand out between both players is their basketball IQ on the court. After seeing Gallo play two games I know already that he is a pretty smart player were Chandler needs work.

Gallo knows when to shoot and when not to shoot were Chandler just rolls the dice on his talent every time.

Both guys have HUGE upside and playing together one day can be something to look forward to...they can be a dangerous combo at the 2,3 or 3,4 spots.

Chandler and Gallo both show to be good on both sides of the court and posses the ability to change momentum in a game easily and single handily....Chandler just needs to know his game a little better.

For now Chandler should start over Gallo but over time we are going to see Gallo take his spot if Chandler doesn't go back to the old aggressive, driving the lane type of basketball he played during the summer league and at the end of last season.

Great post, Paul.

I just feel like Gallo offers so many from so many different dimensions.

Mainly

Passing
    Slashing
    Shooting

Gallo is really elite for his age at these three attributes.

Then you add his agility, 6"10 and still growing frame.
    Then you add his confidence, awareness, IQ, swag, aggressiveness, assertiveness...

You just have a really matured developed prospect, not a project, but a TRUE prospect who can produce right away.

Wilson Chandler is 2nd on the team in FGA

Question to you guys.

How far do we expect to go when our secondary option is a 14 ppg 41% FG scorer?

When Chris Duhon has a higher FG than you, then you know its a fail.

I'm not that IMPRESSED with Chandler, I was in the hype; but now I'm out after watching Chandler play 30 NBA games.

Chandler should be producing Shawn Marion type numbers, but I don't think he has the agressiveness to do be that productive.

I guess its the right thing to be happy with his 14/5/41% FG?

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Proud Warrior, NBA isn't that physical either. I mean look at Wade and how easy he gets to the free throw line. Many would say Euroleague has been more physical/their game is similar to how NBA was played in the 80's.
    In fact Wade is not a PF.
    In Euroleague the game is more physical because there are less spaces for moving while in NBA there are huge spaces. But contacts in NBA are undoubtedly harder, for this reason if Gallinari is not so able to play like a PF

Originally Posted by metrocard
    I just feel like Gallo offers so many from so many different dimensions.

Mainly

Passing
    Slashing
    Shooting

Then you add his confidence, awareness, IQ, swag, aggressiveness, assertiveness...

You just have a really matured developed prospect, not a project, but a TRUE prospect who can produce right away.
    more or less is what i'm trying to say

When it's all said and done, I think Gallo will be the much better player. But, I don't think you can judge Chandler on his stats, namely his PPG and FG%. This is basically his rookie year, and he's very coachable. Once he learns to be more aggressive, and not take so many 3 pointers, he can be a very good player. Look at Kevin Durant, in his rookie year his fg% was around 40 too. It has improved this season, and will only continue to improve. Granted, he has much more talent, but shot selection is something that comes in time for some players. But his ball handling and passing aren't very good, and they will probably never get to the level Gallo's is now.

props to metro for another thought provoking post, but i agree completely that chandler is coachable, and i think his overal humble nature will allow him to develop into a much better player. i dont think chandler has that killer instinct that the great ones do. when he talks he seems passive, and that might be reflected onto the court a little. from what i hear from u guys im guessin gallo does indeed have that killer instinct. eitha way im happy with chandler, nd gallo has done well these past 2 games

Superstar

I'm not ready to give up on Chandler as of yet because he is playing D but he is very inconsistent... But Gallo seems to have a very high potential.

Also Dwayne Wade gets ghost fouls all the time.......The NBA refs are certainly more generous with superstars (which is why we need at least one...we need players that draws fake fouls).

the only doubt is about Gallo's back.
    if it's ok, there's no match.

I agree with metro 100% on all the facts about both players. With that being said I really think ( and hope)we can and going to keep both of them.

Gallinari is a special player, a point forward, at 20yr old 6.10'' and 225 that can already play 4 position SF, SG and sub for PG and PF. In about a year or two if he's still growing and put about 20-25 pouns and another inch on his frame he can also sub for C when we play small. Now that s something that our team never had ( somebody that can play 4-5 positions) and he s the only player on our team (right now)with the potential to be a perenial all star. Best case scenario a smaller Dirk, worse case Hedo Turkoglu.

Wilson Chandler I think is going to be a very good player with the potential to have 1-2 all star apearances but his potential is more limited then Gallinari. We already traded something as good ( if not better ) in Trevor Ariza. I think that Ariza is the better player today (but that could change) as a better defender, hustle, more consistent shooting, steals, better rebounder, all that with Chandler starting, playing about 10 more min and being our team 2 or 3 option while Ariza 2-3 option coming of the bench.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=210 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE class=playerInfoGridPlayerInfoBorders cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=110> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Trevor Ariza
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Position: F
    Height: 6-8 Weight: 210
    College: UCLA
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=gSGSectionTitleStatsPlayerGrid vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2>2008-09 Statistics</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>PPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>9.2</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>RPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>5.1 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>APG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>2.1</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>SPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>1.8</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>BPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.3</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>FG%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.479</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>FT%</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.698</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>3P%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.316</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>MPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>24.7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=210 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE class=playerInfoGridPlayerInfoBorders cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=110> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Wilson Chandler
    New York Knicks
    Position: F
    Height: 6-8 Weight: 220
    College: DePaul
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=gSGSectionTitleStatsPlayerGrid vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2>2008-09 Statistics</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>PPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>14.6</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>RPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>5.3 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>APG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>1.9</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>SPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.9</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>BPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.8</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>FG%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.420</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>FT%</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.822</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>3P%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.306</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>MPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>33.5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    So if we have to choose betwen Chandler and Gallinari I think the choice is pretty easy.
    <!-- Copyright IBM Corporation, 2001-2005 --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1>var SA_ID="nbapix;nba";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="//stats.surfaid.ihost.com/sacdcv3_nbapix_nba.js" type=text/JavaScript></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- Copyright IBM Corporation, 2001-2005 --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1>var SA_ID="nbapix;nba";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="//stats.surfaid.ihost.com/sacdcv3_nbapix_nba.js" type=text/JavaScript></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

Does that not apply to Chandler because Chandler is still growing, agreed that Gallo is a great player but also he has played professional ball before, Chandler though has only played a handful of games last year under Isiah and is doing much better in this system, Gallo needs to get stronger and reports indicate while working out in the gym Gallo got the back issur, I think. But anyways Chandler is better and has more potential than Gallinari

Veteran

Originally Posted by ____I♥NY____

Gallo is a great player

wow.. zepole cannoli has played a total of maybe 1 game... 48 total mins, and he is already 'great'

i prefer to see him playing maybe 3 or 4 games before granting him the status of 'great'.. maybe by the end of the week.

Originally Posted by paris401
    wow.. zepole cannoli has played a total of maybe 1 game... 48 total mins, and he is already 'great'

i prefer to see him playing maybe 3 or 4 games before granting him the status of 'great'.. maybe by the end of the week.
    ahahaha zeppole e cannoli
    You're right, you have good reasons to be skeptical. I know him since he start playing professional basketball and, if he will feel good, I assure you that Danilo will demonstrate to be a great player

Veteran

Originally Posted by Proud Warrior
    ahahaha zeppole e cannoli
    You're right, you have good reasons to be skeptical. I know him since he start playing professional basketball and, if he will feel good, I assure you that Danilo will demonstrate to be a great player
    no body hopes he is 'great'... more then us long-suffering knicks fans...

Veteran

Im not saying Gallo will be great at all. He is very skinny, and who knows with this back thing of his. Chandler is the more gifted athlete, while Gallo may be the better basketball player. And two games, 1 vs the Bulls shows me nothing.

For this offense, because Gallo is a better shooter, he fits better. But realistically until the Knicks get a real play maker at pg, we won't be able to see the full potential of either Gallo, or Chandler. Not to mention, this is basically Chandler's first year, and I won't count this year for Gallo, unless he plays the rest of the way, without being limited much by injury.

I don't think Chandler really knows how good he can be yet. Gallo, he knows he can be really good.

Good problem to have though. Bout time the Knicks have a good problem.

Default Two things that are not mentioned

There two attributes that Gallo has that Chandler does not: "Leadership" and "Dependability (aka being the man)."

Circumstances have put Gallo into a position to have these qualities, who knows if Chandler was under the same situation he could have developed such qualities.

But he didn't, and it doesn't look like they are developing in him right now.

Gallo is a leader especially in how he plays. He is showing our Knicks how to play Defense, Court Awareness, Ball Handling, Ball Movement, and Shot Selection. The only player on our team that might have all of these attributes is Duhon (it is a stretch).

Gallo has the experience of being dependable in Italy and it will be more evident with the Knicks as he plays more games and gets more playing time. He will take over our team and he might be our other piece in attracting those superstars here.

Why else take so long in making sure his back is ok before letting him play? I really believe that Walsh and D'antoni saw these qualities, wanted to be cautious, and are going to invest heavily in him.

Veteran

Sure we can play both. As Paul said one is coming off the bench anyway. Both can run the floor and defend so it just gives our line-up more versatility. Gallo is definately a better pure shooter, but Wilson is a much better slasher and has the athletism to finish. Once Wilson learns to be more consistent with his favorite three from the corner, he will be deadly. There is plenty of room on this roster for both. I see D'antoni just likes to have skill guys out there that can run and gun, so there is room for both Wilson and Gallo on the team.