The Core and the Plan

nixon7

Benchwarmer
As I see it, the core of the team is Lee, Gallanari, Chandler, and Duhon. Since the desired 2010 additions - either DWade or Lebron - play in the SF/SG space, this is a good fit.

The clear missing pieces are a backup point guard and a shot-blocking rebounding monster center. Plan A is to draft Hasheem Thabeet which means the Knicks need to tank a bit and get lucky in the lottery (top 4???), or be willing to arrange a trade up in the lottery using their actual pick and any combination of non-core players. Plan B is to trade for Emeka Okafur (since we can assume that Andrew Bynum and Greg Oden will not be available).

Plan A for backup point is Steve Nash who has already indicated his love for D'Antoni. Can anyone imagine a better locker room presence and on-court teacher for a young talented core than Steve Nash during the declining years of his career? Plan B is to find a defensive-minded pass-first point out there somewhere (lacking in Nash's talent and know-how but Nash's defense is a liability). Carlos Delfino is my choice but this is the weakest part of my plan - so other suggestions are solicited (hint).

I would resign Ewing Jr (defensive stopper) and try to retain Al Harrington (off-the-bench offense with reasonable defense) if possible, but these are nice to have, not strictly mandatory considerations. This all does mean not pushing for the playoffs this year, and re-signing Lee (but not Nate - too expensive for a talented but low BB/IQ player) which some people seem to think is a cap killer (I do not agree - but I do blame Isiah for not starting Lee last year so that Donnie could have signed him to a cheaper extension last summer - it would have been irresponsible of Donnie to have done so without knowing how Lee would perform as a starter).

Obviously, if Isiah had drafted Bynum instead of going for Curry we would be in none of this mess, but the same goes for keeping Camby and Nene instead of trading for McDyess, and drafting Weis over Artest. Donnie cannot make up for a decade of mis-steps in half a season.

Comments?

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
great post i agree with you i would prefer Monroe to Thabeet only because Monroe is better all around then Thabeet Monroe has a good offensive game while Thabeet is limited, we should combine our draft pick(around 10) and a couple of fill in players or add this years second rounder as well. get Monroe (whos great defensivly as well) and then fill in the remaining roster spots and call Ewing JR back so he comes off the bench with Nate as a defensive stopper and someone who could get a good 6-10 points off the bench, then all we need after that is a good 2gaurd lke a Joe Johnson or DWade

As I see it, the core of the team is Lee, Gallanari, Chandler, and Duhon. Since the desired 2010 additions - either DWade or Lebron - play in the SF/SG space, this is a good fit.

The clear missing pieces are a backup point guard and a shot-blocking rebounding monster center. Plan A is to draft Hasheem Thabeet which means the Knicks need to tank a bit and get lucky in the lottery (top 4???), or be willing to arrange a trade up in the lottery using their actual pick and any combination of non-core players. Plan B is to trade for Emeka Okafur (since we can assume that Andrew Bynum and Greg Oden will not be available).

Plan A for backup point is Steve Nash who has already indicated his love for D'Antoni. Can anyone imagine a better locker room presence and on-court teacher for a young talented core than Steve Nash during the declining years of his career? Plan B is to find a defensive-minded pass-first point out there somewhere (lacking in Nash's talent and know-how but Nash's defense is a liability). Carlos Delfino is my choice but this is the weakest part of my plan - so other suggestions are solicited (hint).

I would resign Ewing Jr (defensive stopper) and try to retain Al Harrington (off-the-bench offense with reasonable defense) if possible, but these are nice to have, not strictly mandatory considerations. This all does mean not pushing for the playoffs this year, and re-signing Lee (but not Nate - too expensive for a talented but low BB/IQ player) which some people seem to think is a cap killer (I do not agree - but I do blame Isiah for not starting Lee last year so that Donnie could have signed him to a cheaper extension last summer - it would have been irresponsible of Donnie to have done so without knowing how Lee would perform as a starter).

Obviously, if Isiah had drafted Bynum instead of going for Curry we would be in none of this mess, but the same goes for keeping Camby and Nene instead of trading for McDyess, and drafting Weis over Artest. Donnie cannot make up for a decade of mis-steps in half a season.

Comments?
couldn't have said it better myself.:thumbsup:

Oldtimer

Rotation player

Our committed salaries for 2010 as matters now stand include Curry at $11.277M, Jefferies at $6.84M, Chandler at $1.775M and Gallinari at $2.754M. The total is just under $22.690M.

Our 2009 draft pick, depending on draft position, will have a 2010 salary of somewhere between $3M and $4M. That will put us at about $26M and the 2010 cap will likely be in the $60M to $62M range.

We do not want Curry and he will never fit into d'Antoni's style of play. Most of us do not want Jefferies but his 2010 price is only $6.8M and he can play a little in D'Antoni's system.

I do not think Curry is going anywhere this season. He is not ready to play for any one and who is going to take him before the trading deadline? He is out of shape and injured and he has had a recent personal tragedy. Perhaps he will reach a point before the end of the season where he will be able to show case some of his offensive prowess. Hopefully we will have some takers in the offseason.

We want to keep Duhon, but he will cost at least $7M. I would like to keep Lee, even at $10M. Harrington has a current salary of over $10M. Are we going to sign him? He has to be looking at $8M to $10M. Nate is likely to be in the $6M to $8M range. I would rather have Lee than either Nate or Harrington. I have never particularly liked Thomas, but maybe he can come cheap. What are we going to do with Q-Rich? Most of us do not like him, but apparently D'Antoni does.

Getting two big time free agents in 2010, depends more on getting rid of Curry's 2010 salary than it does on paying Lee $10M.

Lets see if anything changes before this year's trade deadline.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I'm hearing a lot about picking up thabeet or monroe in the draft, but its not guaranteed for us. We should see that pick as an extra benefit for us. Because even if one of those players comes to our team its gonna take them a couple of years to come into their own.

Proud Warrior

Benchwarmer
I think that Knicks don't need the best players as LBJ, Wade or someone else. To become competitve they need for a "shot-blocking rebounding monster center" as nixon7 and for good backups from the bench.
We have a young team, for example, my favourite starting players could become (after some months)

1 Duhon '82
2 Robinson '85 / Gallinari '88 / Chandler '87
3 Gallinari '88 / Chandler '87
4 Lee '83 / Gallinari '88
5 shot-blocking rebounding monster center / Lee '83

that is a young team and a good prospect for the future. For this reason I prefere a PG younger than Nash and a feasible "shot-blocking rebounding monster center".

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I think that Knicks don't need the best players as LBJ, Wade or someone else. To become competitve they need for a "shot-blocking rebounding monster center" as nixon7 and for good backups from the bench.
We have a young team, for example, my favourite starting players could become (after some months)

1 Duhon '82
2 Robinson '85 / Gallinari '88 / Chandler '87
3 Gallinari '88 / Chandler '87
4 Lee '83 / Gallinari '88
5 shot-blocking rebounding monster center / Lee '83

that is a young team and a good prospect for the future. For this reason I prefere a PG younger than Nash and a feasible "shot-blocking rebounding monster center".

No jordan-esque type player(to come thru under pressure) = no title

Kiyaman

Legend
By not given Lee and Nate an extension at the start of the season....the core and plan for the Knicks are to delete the team for 2010-11 season....only keeping the 2008 and the 2009 draft picks.

Walsh is doing the samething as Isiah....and Walsh's player for player trades are just as bad as Isiah Thomas. A 2010 Plan LOL....the Joke will be on us Knick-Fans thinking that the next team will let us get their healthy Franchise Super-Star player for nothing in return....like the Grant Hill signing with Orlando Magic did not teach us anything.
Anyone who set aside things they could do today for tommorow is a "JOKER" in my book. And the 2010 Plan is for JOKERS only.

So the Knicks maybe fukkked up untill the 2012 season when both Walsh and Dantoni contracts are ended.

GetRealistic

Starter
By not given Lee and Nate an extension at the start of the season....the core and plan for the Knicks are to delete the team for 2010-11 season....only keeping the 2008 and the 2009 draft picks.

Walsh is doing the samething as Isiah....and Walsh's player for player trades are just as bad as Isiah Thomas. A 2010 Plan LOL....the Joke will be on us Knick-Fans thinking that the next team will let us get their healthy Franchise Super-Star player for nothing in return....like the Grant Hill signing with Orlando Magic did not teach us anything.
Anyone who set aside things they could do today for tommorow is a "JOKER" in my book. And the 2010 Plan is for JOKERS only.

So the Knicks maybe fukkked up untill the 2012 season when both Walsh and Dantoni contracts are ended.

You are the worst. Your post make absolutely zero sense and they change every day. I don't understand what you want. From what i gather all you basically want is to keep the core of Lee and Nate. They both are good players but without superstars they are nowhere near the core of a championship team. Lets be honest there both in their 4th year and are having career years yet we are still a team that at best can be a 8th seed. So if that don't make they case you need a superstar in this league to succeed i don't know what else does.

Wilson Chandler is a nice player who could potentially be a good 3rd option in this league but he's a side piece not a serious building block. And hey i'm not complaining about Chandler at all. Theres plenty of players who are selected 21st overall who aren't half the players Chandler is so i'm very happy with his performance.

From what i gather you would be perfectly happy with a team that looked like this.

Nate with an extension
Lee with an extension
Mardy Collins
Eddy Curry being a featured player
Balkman
Book Lopez who you wanted over Gallo
plus some spare parts

Oh yea and i forgot you also wanted Marc Jackson to be the head coach. The same Marc Jackson who has never even been an assistant coach in this league was going to bring this team a defensive side we haven't seen in years. How is a player who played zero defense in his NBA career (Childs and Ward blew by him constantly) going to teach a bunch of guys who have no interest in playing defense (Lee, Nate, Curry) to play defense?

Now is not the time to be down on the Knicks. Its the time to be optomistic. It may not show in the record but its pretty obvious in my book that this team is 10 fold better then last year. They have some solid young nuclues and cap space coming. In a league driven by the salary cap there is honestly nothing more important then having cap space and a great market to play in. We have NY and now we a good coach and the money to land a star.

You can't win in this league without stars. Its that simple. Put Lebron or Wade on this roster right now and we are a team with a chance to win the East.

Now you put Lebron and a co-star on this team with the young core and not only are we going win the East we are going to win numerous championships.

P.S. lets drop the David Lee stuff he's going to resign so people need to back off that, we have his bird rights and Walsh has gone on record saying he wants to bring Lee back.

dre48ny

Rotation player
I don't see Curry being moved this season at all. We can only hope he opts out (very unlikely). He has only played 2 minutes and his conditioning is terrible, not to mention his emotional turmoil he is going through. Perhaps he can play in the final 20 games and showcase that he can still ball and me moved in the off season. If not we just have to suck it up until his contract expires. Unfortunately these are the consequences when management makes the wrong moves. We should only sign DLee, Nate's scoring is replaceable. We all luv Nate, but unfortunately we have 2 bad contracts in Curry and Jefferies that **** everything up. The NYK should only choose one.

As far as the draft, let's see where we end up. I want the NYK to be close to the playoffs so that those big names look at us as a team that is very close to being at the top, so that when they do sign here they will be at the top.

It woud be great to land a great defensive Center, but nothing is guaranteed. I know the NYK will look at the upcoming draft and try to obtain a C or a PG, as we obviously need a big man and someone to backup Duhon as I don't think Robinson will be here.

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
Im sorry, but how good would it be to have DeAndre Jordan right now. I couldn't believe he slipped that far last year, i would have sworn he was going to be a late first. I really hope the Knicks made a play to get a 2nd round pick to take him. He would be a great peice for this team right now.

Im sorry, but how good would it be to have DeAndre Jordan right now. I couldn't believe he slipped that far last year, i would have sworn he was going to be a late first. I really hope the Knicks made a play to get a 2nd round pick to take him. He would be a great peice for this team right now.

Would have rather taken Javeal MaGee last year if we were going to do any trading :cool:

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
You are the worst. Your post make absolutely zero sense and they change every day. I don't understand what you want. From what i gather all you basically want is to keep the core of Lee and Nate. They both are good players but without superstars they are nowhere near the core of a championship team. Lets be honest there both in their 4th year and are having career years yet we are still a team that at best can be a 8th seed. So if that don't make they case you need a superstar in this league to succeed i don't know what else does.

Wilson Chandler is a nice player who could potentially be a good 3rd option in this league but he's a side piece not a serious building block. And hey i'm not complaining about Chandler at all. Theres plenty of players who are selected 21st overall who aren't half the players Chandler is so i'm very happy with his performance.

From what i gather you would be perfectly happy with a team that looked like this.

Nate with an extension
Lee with an extension
Mardy Collins
Balkman
plus some spare parts

Oh yea and i forgot you also wanted Marc Jackson to be the head coach. The same Marc Jackson who has never even been an assistant coach in this league was going to bring this team a defensive side we haven't seen in years. How is a player who played zero defense in his NBA career (Childs and Ward blew by him constantly) going to teach a bunch of guys who have no interest in playing defense (Lee, Nate, Curry) to play defense?

Now is not the time to be down on the Knicks. Its the time to be optomistic. It may not show in the record but its pretty obvious in my book that this team is 10 fold better then last year. They have some solid young nuclues and cap space coming. In a league driven by the salary cap there is honestly nothing more important then having cap space and a great market to play in. We have NY and now we a good coach and the money to land a star.

You can't win in this league without stars. Its that simple. Put Lebron or Wade on this roster right now and we are a team with a chance to win the East.

Now you put Lebron and a co-star on this team with the young core and not only are we going win the East we are going to win numerous championships.

P.S. lets drop the David Lee stuff he's going to resign so people need to back off that, we have his bird rights and Walsh has gone on record saying he wants to bring Lee back.

I've been saying the same thing. We need that superstar.

We should all remain optimistic about the future of our Knicks team. Its better to remain positive, then to criticize the team and then back track when they prove you wrong.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Monroe vs. Thabeet

I realize that Greg Monroe is a more well-rounded overall talent. However, I am not sure he is a center and I am already worried about a potential glut at forward.

Also, Monroe would likely require a top-three pick, whereas Thabeet is in the four to seven range, which is more attainable via luck or a trade, and has less of a salary-cap implication down the road.

Even if we had a top-three pick, can Monroe really be a true NBA center?

Also, Thabeet is getting way more blocks and rebounding slightly better. Shot-blocking is much more of a need than is offense from the center position, especially since Lee's defensive weakness is against faster players.

As far as Nate, no one says I don't love the guy's energy, effort, and toughness. I just would not go past 6M with him.

As far as Curry, the assumption was that he would be part of the draft deal if we don't score a top-five through luck.

This would probably require that he be in shape and producing by March/April but this seems possible if they can get him on P90X. :)

Kiyaman

Legend

Nate with an extension
Lee with an extension
Mardy Collins
Balkman
plus some spare parts

The players that we have now are the same players from last season....the only difference is Duhon....every Knick-Fan been asking for a pass-first PG since Layden signed Eisley.

The Knicks were in need of a coach and a coaching-staff....Charlie Brown was o.k. but he had personal conflict with Isiah.....Isiah lost the respect of his players the day he was given an extension....Dantoni is a LIAR and has a personal grudge with Marbury (He's lucky Marbury has only one year on his contract).

Mark Jackson was the MAN for the Knicks coaching job....it does not matter about his zero coaching experience.....Mark Jackson & Mullin took St. Johns to the playoff each year....Mark Jackson was a late late first round pick that put the Knicks back on the playoff map by winning ROY.....Mark Jackson average 14 assist with David Robinson on the Spurs....Mark Jackson put the Donnie Walsh losing Pacers on the playoff map with coach Charlie Brown....Coach Phil Jackson had to assign Scottie Pippin to defend Mark Jackson throughout the entire playoff series of Chicago vs Bulls.
Mark Jackson was the only guard that would back his defender into the paint and score on them.
The best part of Mark Jackson skillz & talent was his leadership at the point as being one of the top pass-first PG.

If Isiah, Skiles, Porter, and Cheeks can get a job as a Head-Coach in the NBA then I know Mark Jackson could do a much better job than all of them.

Politicians and Pimps sells people future Dreams....which one is Donnie Walsh???

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
The players that we have now are the same players from last season....the only difference is Duhon....every Knick-Fan been asking for a pass-first PG since Layden signed Eisley.

The Knicks were in need of a coach and a coaching-staff....Charlie Brown was o.k. but he had personal conflict with Isiah.....Isiah lost the respect of his players the day he was given an extension....Dantoni is a LIAR and has a personal grudge with Marbury (He's lucky Marbury has only one year on his contract).

Mark Jackson was the MAN for the Knicks coaching job....it does not matter about his zero coaching experience.....Mark Jackson & Mullin took St. Johns to the playoff each year....Mark Jackson was a late late first round pick that put the Knicks back on the playoff map by winning ROY.....Mark Jackson average 14 assist with David Robinson on the Spurs....Mark Jackson put the Donnie Walsh losing Pacers on the playoff map with coach Charlie Brown....Coach Phil Jackson had to assign Scottie Pippin to defend Mark Jackson throughout the entire playoff series of Chicago vs Bulls.
Mark Jackson was the only guard that would back his defender into the paint and score on them.
The best part of Mark Jackson skillz & talent was his leadership at the point as being one of the top pass-first PG.

If Isiah, Skiles, Porter, and Cheeks can get a job as a Head-Coach in the NBA then I know Mark Jackson could do a much better job than all of them.

Politicians and Pimps sells people future Dreams....which one is Donnie Walsh???

Kia your hate towards Walsh and D'Angoni makes you trash the Knicks and this season. It also blinds you and make you look silly.

Example: ''Coach Phil Jackson had to assign Scottie Pippin to defend Mark Jackson throughout the entire playoff series of Chicago vs Bulls.'' That s a big egg you layed.

Now:

1) Mark Jackson was not the right coach for the knicks but only the sentimental choice ( even there ewing was my first choice) If the knick had not picked Dangtoni , Avery Johnson was still a better choice than Mark Jackson.

2) Just because Mark Jackson was a good player that dont make him an automatic good coach. Usually history say otherwise ( only few good players ever got to be good coaches)

3) Duhon is a big part of our play but he s not the only difference from past season. Lee Nate Chandler Gallinari ( since coming back knicks are 4-0 when he plays and 4-1 overall) even Harrington and Thomas and the way they play under Dangtoni is also a big part.

4) Last but not least Dangtoni coaching experince and style is maybe the biggest difference about this season. Last year we beat the west a whole 3 times, this year we have a better record against the west (9-10) than east(10-15) with the last 3 coming against west playoffs teams(hornets, suns, rockets). Coincidence that Dangtoni was a west team coach the last few years? Also Nash was an ok player in Dallas but became a superstar under dangtoni, Duhon was a back up in Chicago but he s becoming a star under dangtoni. Coincidence?

5) Knicks already have a better season than in past years( maybe since 2000) and if we make the playoffs this yar is only because: a) Walsh trades and pick-ups D'Aangtoni, Duhon, Gallinari. b) D'Angtoni coaching experience. c) Our young players playing good and showing heart and potential.

Last edited: