2009 Knicks vs. 1999 Knicks (Eerily Similar) - My Editorial

Scribbles

Rotation player
10 years ago, though it was a brief and shortened season, we were a long shot to make the Playoffs. Then fortune kind of changed our luck when we picked up a man by the name of Latrell Sprewell around the trade deadline.

Gradually, we started competing more as a unit and were luckily able to clinch the final seed. We were a Knicks team that could win or lose on any given day to any given team.

To add fuel to the fire, we were up against the team's hated rivals; the Miami Heat in the first round.

Fast forward 10 years.

As we approach the trade deadline, the team is playing just below .500 like the '99 Knicks. On pace, to clinching one of the bottom seeds in the Playoffs.

Interestingly enough, we could very well be going up against this year's Knick rivals and defending champions - the Boston Celtics! Whether that's with or without Marbs. Barring any setbacks due to injury.

Or better yet, the Cleveland Cavaliers who bear the branded LBJ who we are scapegoating two years for. Interesting.

That could very well be just what the Knicks need to help propel them deeper into the playoffs.

Just like the '99 team, we are a Knicks team that could win or lose on any given day to any given team.

As frustrating as that seems, it could very well be the gift of this team.

This season scripts as a perfect story line that can sway in two ways.

Let's hope we are still talking playoffs, come two months from now.

JayJ44

Starter
I've been thinking about this for awhile. Problem is, that '99 team is 20x better than this team. But anything's possible, if any team could pull an upset, it's definitely this one.

quiggle

Starter
99 team was more a lucky team, the only opponent they really beat was Atlanta. if Houston's runner didn't bounce or that foul wasn't called on Antonio Davis then Phil Jackson would have probably been the head coach of the Knicks and the Isiah error era would never have happened.

portega1968

El Cacique
all we need is to trade for a Sprewell-type player so history can repeat itself...

and how sweet would it be to send LBJ and the Cavs home in the first round after Lebron trashed our defense (rightfullly so) in GQ!!!

and I have the trade that may get that done (passed in RealGM):

To Detroit:
David Lee
Quentin Richardson
Al Harrington
Stephon Marbury

To NY:
Allen Iverson
Rasheed Wallace
Will Bynum
Kwame Brown

AI and Wallace (those are two Sprewell-type players) expire this year and the other two deals expire next, so this wouldnt affect our 2010 plans. Detroit has not gotten much out of AI nor Rasheed, so they would benefit by having a crack at resigning Lee this summer, whereas Harrington and QRich could fit in nicely with their current team without compromising their caps.

Now, let's see what you guys think of this madness we are living before Feb. 19th.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Hell No!

Are you CRAZY? 99 had our greatest player, EVER, Patrick Ewing, in the lineup. That season was skewed, by the media. NYK's were not a true 8th seed: Ewing was injured, all year, which led to our poor play, until his return, at the end of the season. He came back and led us past the Heat, the Hawks, the first Pacer game, before the Knicks squeezed past Indiana and lost to SA, a series they would have won had Ewing not been injured by a dirty Pacers play.

That team had LJ, Spre, Houston, Ewing: some of our best players, ever, on the team. If this current team gets an 8th seed, which is unlikely, they're getting swept. This team has no center, no clutch, no consistent outside shooter, except for Nate, no inside D, no team D, no help D, limited offensive options and limited rebounding, if it comes to having to play an amped up playoff team, not an injured, yao-less Rockets squad or a low-ranking sixers team.

Anyway, now, everyone's riding on Nate's shit; but, as soon as he plays badly, you're all gonna start hating again. Same thing with Hairy-ngton and the rest of these bums. Only true ace on that team is Duhon and Nate. The rest are overrated or actually bums, like Q-Snitch.

Good Luck with that pipe dream!

Scribbles

Rotation player
Negative-minded Knicks fans are the worst, I swear.

They are the downfall of this team, why don't you start rooting for the team instead of bashing them.

True Knicks fans live and die by the team they have.

metrocard

Legend
I'm with Scribles here.

But I also realize we have to MAKE a trade or two to launch this team into the playoffs.

Look at the BOBCATS...imagine Diaw and Bell in this system...we couldn't grab those guys.
But they would of held back from getting under the cap.

portega1968

El Cacique
Scribbles... I dont understand you... you were talking about how bringing in Sprewell changed 99, but now you bash me for talking about how a similar move could be good for the Knicks?

I predict Phoenix will trade Amare before Feb19th... if that happens, you wouldnt want him on our team?

Good to see the wack jobs at knicksonline are still going strong. '09 Knicks a lot like the '99 Knicks? Ok, yeah :barf:

Patrick, Spre, LJ, Houston and Camby are all better than anybody on the current Knick roster, lets not forget about the coach either.

Scribbles

Rotation player
When I'm comparing both teams, I'm comparing their playing.

Don't be fooled. The '99 Knicks were not drama-free. They also had their fare share of unendorsed exposure.

The fact of the matter is that they all came together and put everything aside to win when it was most needed.

I can see that happening with this squad.

Scribbles... I dont understand you... you were talking about how bringing in Sprewell changed 99, but now you bash me for talking about how a similar move could be good for the Knicks?

I wasn't speaking about you or your trade proposal when I said this:

Negative-minded Knicks fans are the worst, I swear.

They are the downfall of this team, why don't you start rooting for the team instead of bashing them.

True Knicks fans live and die by the team they have.

But I can see why you thought that was targeted at you. LOL. It was the last sentence right?

Well, that wasn't in response to you. :afro:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
_______√ictory_______;82198 said:
i know we can make some noise if we get camby.i would love bounce the celtshits out of the playoffs.

I would too but i would put my bank account on the smelltics. We might be able to steal a game...maybe even two. Mabye the celbricks will struggle on the road again, who knows. But one thing I know is that theres no way we would bounce them from the playoffs, although if it happened that would be the biggest highlight of my life so far.