NY Yankees 2009 Season Thread

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Lol. Yea you're right. Yo, you ever catch a yankee game?

you know what? i never have, but im planing on it when i go to NY with some friends. i saw some tix for the yankees sox or yankees blue jays series that i might go to, in the beginning of august. so no, but i might real soon. it would be a fun experience! (just hope lines for jerseys and ishh arent amazingly long)

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
you know what? i never have, but im planing on it when i go to NY with some friends. i saw some tix for the yankees sox or yankees blue jays series that i might go to, in the beginning of august. so no, but i might real soon. it would be a fun experience! (just hope lines for jerseys and ishh arent amazingly long)

Cool. Yea, that should be one of the places you go if you're coming to NY. That and a Knicks game lol.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Won the last 7...rain delay is holding up our 8th straight

hope the yankees can keep this streak going.:crossfingers:

metrocard

Legend
Trade Matsui...bring up Jesus Montero as a DH.
I can't STAND Matsui...Mets could use another slugger with their depleted offense I'm sure.
PLEASE TRADE MATSUI.

Sabathia has been ass.
DB55 has been a major disappointment in the minors, but with his lack of control; its no suprise.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
Trade Matsui...bring up Jesus Montero as a DH.
I can't STAND Matsui...Mets could use another slugger with their depleted offense I'm sure.
PLEASE TRADE MATSUI.

Sabathia has been ass.
DB55 has been a major disappointment in the minors, but with his lack of control; its no suprise.
Matsui hasn't been that bad. He owned yesterday. Anyway Matsui isn't tradeable. He is only a DH now. Jesus Montero is no where near ready. He has only been at AA for a little bit. We should be happy if he gets a call up September 2010. But he will be great. I compare him to Victor Martinez.

CC has been great...dude 1 bad start...don't hate.
Dellin is an extreamly raw prospect. A lot of upside, but that is about it.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Betances is injury-prone and though we've talked for years about how he'll eventually develop some control and not be as wild, it's yet to happen. Better to trade him now and get what we can (given that the Yankees' minor league system is stacked with amazing pitching talent such as Zach McAllister, DJ Mitchell, Manuel Banuelos, Hector Noesi, just to name a few) than to gamble on him failing and/or his career ending due to excessive shoulder surgeries and/or elbow surgeries.

Matsui might be tradeable for any AL team that wants some Japanese market revenue not to mention some pop in the bat. He's still a decent player, but his role on the team has been superseded by Brett Gardner's amazing numbers as of the last month or so as well as Melky Cabrera's hot streak (which we'll see whether it lasts).

Montero should spend more time in the minors and maybe get better at defense. He's hitting .579 in his last 5 games with four home runs, but if he wants to be a catcher at the major league level we need to let him work behind the plate some more and get him some more experience and/or coaching that way.

Sabathia has been good...he's had a few bad starts but overall he's done great for us...even aces have their bad starts...

th3realicon

Rotation player
I am very excited about Montero. The dude can hit. I really hope they send him to triple A ASAP and give him a call for next seasons Spring Training. His swing is sweet and he can hit for power.

On a negative note i am starting to lose faith in both A-jack and Brackman. A-jack has speed and that is it. Nothing what we were hopping he would turn into. Brackman has been abysmal. His command is gone fishing and his velocity has dropped considerable. I really hoepe it is just too early and he gets back to his pre Tommy John form.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think they're keeping Montero in AA so he and Francisco Cervelli can both catch on a regular basis. Montero's bat is probably major league ready now but he needs to work on his defense if he's going to replace Jorge Posada down the line.

So far this year Austin Jackson in AAA has a batting average of .321 with four homers, a .386 OBP, and a .452 SLG in 305 At-bats.

He's not hitting for as much power as we'd hoped but he steals bases, has a good arm (he played Right Field today and threw out a runner), decent range in the outfield, and he hits well for average. The only knock on him right now is that he strikes out way too much (in 305 AB he has 78 Ks and that's only in AAA) but we'll see if he cuts down on that in the second half of the season.

Brackman...is probably injured, or something. In any case Brackman isn't really a big deal. There are prospects that we should be taking more note of.

For example:

AAA:
Ivan Nova. He's 22 years old, and this season has had 12 starts in AA and 2 in AAA. So far he's posting a combined 2.27 ERA with 73 hits in 83.1 innings, with 54 Ks and 35 BB.

AA:
We've got a 1B named Jorge Vazquez who's posting a .948 OPS right now. Since we have Teixeira odds are he's not going to be of any use to us, but he could be valuable trade bait.

Zach McAllister: 5-4 record, 1.87 ERA. 86.2 IP, 69 H. 72 K, 26 BB. Also 22 years old.

A+ (Tampa):

Austin Romine (C): Better defense than Jesus Montero. .799 OPS with 11 HR...and even 7 SB. Needs to learn how to take a damned walk and he'll be a great player.

DJ Mitchell: 22 years old. Combined 3.05 ERA in A and A+. 92 K, 28 BB. 94.1 IP, 79 H. He's adjusting to Tampa, but other than that has been pitching great.

Hector Noesi: In 12 starts and 6 relief appearances combined for A+ and A, 2.57 ERA in 80.2 IP, 83 K, 12 BB (!!!), 68 H.

A-ball:

David Phelps: 17 GS, 100.2 IP, 106 H (kinda high, yeah), 78 K, 22 BB, 2.77 ERA. (also 22 years old)

And the kid I'm most ecstatic about...

Manuel Banuelos: 15 GS, 77.2 IP, 2.20 ERA, 61 H, 68 K, 17 BB. Get this:

Banuelos's Date of Birth? 03/13/1991. That's right. We have a kid who's 18 years old who's wiping the floor with the rest of Single-A. And he's left handed.

Paul1355

All Star
Very Few Teams can stop us

Just think Yankee fans....in the playoffs we have one of the best rotations in baseball with CC, Burnett, Pettite and an inconsistent Joba who can be on or off..........and one of the best bullpens in the majors ranking 1st in many stats since the all star break...

On top of great pitching...our players couldnt be hot at a better time.......Derek Jeter has hit .500 in the past 13 games and on his way to a possible MVP along with Texiera who might win MVP....a healthy A Rod who can carry this team if he heats up....along with Matsui, Posada, Cano, and Damon who have been having good years.

I dont know many teams that can beat the Yankees in the playoffs....only teams are Boston, the Angels, and the Dodgers(Manny is a Yankee killer).

Yankees are red hot at the best time of the year while Boston has been struggling lately, fortunately, and battling a good Texas Rangers team and fighting for a wild card spot.

Best case scenerio.....Rangers win the wild card and knock out Boston.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
It may be early to say this....:alert:

:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

need some more finger crossing...
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

CC Sabathia, you are my hero.

th3realicon

Rotation player
AJ pitched well too. Hopefully he is past his struggling days. A 1,2,3 punch with CC, AJ and Pettitte sounds good to me. Lets hope them bats keep it going as well. In the play offs there is always good pitching so we need to stay focused.

Joba is worrying me. He has lost it. He can't push more than 91-93 on the radar gun and his pitches are very hittable.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
AJ pitched well too. Hopefully he is past his struggling days. A 1,2,3 punch with CC, AJ and Pettitte sounds good to me. Lets hope them bats keep it going as well. In the play offs there is always good pitching so we need to stay focused.

Joba is worrying me. He has lost it. He can't push more than 91-93 on the radar gun and his pitches are very hittable.

This whole Joba Rules thing is weird.....

IT worries me he's going up against Lester and the sox tomorrow, i dont think he'll pitch well.

i honestly think he should be more of a closer than a starter. When mariano retires, joba should be the man. When he was a reliever, he beasted. Now look what happened.

Damn, i also wonder what would be happening if Moose was still playing..

Paul1355

All Star

Joba has been limited to his pitching which I think makes it harder psychologically to perform good because he only has a few innings instead of 7 or 8 like a normal starter would have. That reason is still no excuse for him getting crushed in some games and not locating his fastball.
I was one of the fans that wanted Joba to start this year. I think he will improve over the years but IF Joe Girardi is really going to treat Joba like a baby all the time with this inning limit thing, then you might as well make him a bullpen pitcher again and put Phil Hughes back in the starting spot=switch Joba and Hughes....Girardi has made it clear that he doesn't really know what to do with Joba and this is hurting Joba overall.

Make up your mind Joe, and if Joba is going to be a starter then give him the innings a starter should get. He has to get use to the role even though he is young.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Playoffs in a couple days. Yankees looking real strong. Even though we got blasted by tampa last night :lol: don't see many teams going toe to toe with us.

I didn't go to the parades back in the day, but I'm looking forward to going this year. :afro:

th3realicon

Rotation player
It is a little too quick to think of parades, especially since we have been thrown out in the first round quite a bit as of lately.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Dear Mr. Alex Rodriguez, I know you've been through a lot in the past few months, and I know most of us Yankee fans hate you and gave up because you have done absolutely nothing in the playoffs when we needed you most. But with the way you played today, I actually was.... impressed. So PLEASE, win us a ring, shut all the haters up, then I will be proud to buy your jersey. Thank you.