all about the N.Y. JETS

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Swag Dripping Out His Buttcheeks

Rex Ryan would be 'shocked' if New York Jets lose to Indianapolis Colts in AFC Championship Game

BY GARY MYERS
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 4:00 am

Rex Ryan fired the first shot of Jets-Colts championship week by not even attempting to disguise his expectations going into the AFC title game, insisting he would be "shocked" if the Jets don't win and get to the Super Bowl.

He may have looked a little tired after the Jets got back from San Diego at 4 a.m. following their 17-14 victory over the Chargers, but Ryan's bravado was in midseason form as he stood in a hallway talking with the Daily News yesterday about his confidence level going into Sunday's game.

"I'm confident. There is no question about it," he said. "We're going into the game expecting to win. I'd be shocked if we don't. Absolutely would be."

Ryan's brash talk has made him a cult hero to Jets fans, who have been this close to the Super Bowl only twice before in the 41 years since the Jets shocked the Colts in Super Bowl III. Now they are trying to shock the Colts again in the conference championship game after losing to the Dolphins in the '82 season game in Miami and the Broncos in the '98 game in Denver.

But "shocked" if the Jets can't beat Peyton Manning and the Colts in Indianapolis in a playoff game? Not many people would be shocked by not winning under those circumstances.

"Well, that's okay," Ryan said. "We're taking our football team in. It's not just about one guy. It's about the entire football team. We'll see. I feel great about our football team."

Remember, the Colts were 14-0 before throwing in the towel on their undefeated season nearly three quarters of the way through Game No.15 against the Jets. The plan was to put the emphasis on giving the Colts the best chance to win the Super Bowl, not going undefeated, although those two are certainly not mutually exclusive.

The Colts led the Jets 15-10 on Dec. 27 in Indy when coach Jim Caldwell pulled Manning and many of the starters with 5:36 left in the third quarter. Manning was replaced by rookie Curtis Painter - he had yet to take his first professional snap - and he fumbled on the first play of his second series, with the Jets recovering for a touchdown. They went on to win, 29-15.

If the Colts had allowed Manning to keep playing, which he clearly wanted to do, and they won the game, they would have eliminated the Jets from the playoffs. Now they get them with the Super Bowl on the line.

"With us, it wasn't a given they were going to beat us. That's how I look at it," Ryan said. "You got to prove it through the course of 60 minutes. It's true they were ahead of us 15-10. Again, there was no guarantee they were going to beat us."

Instead, the Jets beat the equally uninspired Bengals in the final game of the regular season to earn a playoff spot. Three days later, Ryan proclaimed that the Jets should be the postseason favorites. "I mean in the whole tournament," he said.

Ryan is two victories from producing his promised visit to the White House. He's trying to do it in the first year of his administration and the second year of President Obama's.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Rex Ryan is a confident man to say the least. The Jets definetely play with a swagger thanks in large part due to this guy. Look at the difference with Ryan as your coach and Eric Mangina. If Mangina was your guy's coach you'd probably be right down there witht he Browns lol.

johnstarky

Rotation player
The Jets making it all the way to the AFC championship game is one of the reasons why the NFL is light years ahead of the NBA.It is rare to see in the NBA an underdog team eliminating a contending team.Unless you're the Lakers, Cavs, Celtics or Magic your team has an 80 percent chance of not winning a championship.For the past 5 years we've seen NFL teams such as the Seattle Seahawks,Chicago Bears,NY Giants, Arizona Cardinals, and NY Jets make it past the first 2 rounds of the playoffs.You never see the same teams make the playoffs every season in the NFL the way you do in the NBA.I always believed that the NBA should have the same kind of salary cap that the NFL has.I know it's a bit off topic but every time I think about the Jets and their Cinderella run it reminds me of how much better the NFL is compared to the NBA in terms of the overall competition within each league.

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
Going on the record, right now, 1:54 PM on Sunday, an hour before game time...after looking at it and thinking about it all week, I have a feeling the Jets win this one. I don't know why, call it a hunch, call it destiny...it's just a feeling.

LeFlume

All Star
We're in for a nailbiter. Jets have shown up for work. Colts have to be on top of their game to pull this one off.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Colts- 30
Jets- 17

Great postseason for the Jets, the game was much closer than the score indicated. In the end Peyton Manning was to good. For the most part Revis took Wayne out of the game. Pierre Garcon really got a great game. Everytime the Colts needed a first down in that fourth quarter, the ball seemed to always go to Garcon.

The Jets have been a nice Cinderella story, but that all changes next year. Teams will start giving the Jets respect, we'll see how the Jets build on this year's success for next year. Having Mark Sanchez and Shonne Greene as building blocks for an offense is probably making many other teams envious.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
FUKK!!!!!!!!!!! I thought we had this one after halftime!!!!

Tough loss for us. We played hard but were not able to execute when we needed it most. Even though we were up by 4 at the half, I heard one of the announcers say that the colts had around 200+ yards on offense. That right there told me that the colts were one or two plays short of busting this game wide open. The third down plays that we were stopping them in the first half were being completed by the colts in the second half.

We did not make it to the superbowl but it was still a great season. I'm proud of my JETS for accomplishing so much this year. Like H2O said, we have good building blocks in Greene and Sanchez, not to mention a number 1 defense that will have the services of Kris Jenkins next year. The JETS are headed for greatness, there's no doubt about it.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
Congratulations to the Colts and Peyton Manning. There is no shame in losing to the greatest QB of all time.
I hope they draft a CB. There is a real drop-off between Revis and everyone else,

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
This is real tough to take, but the Jets exceeded my expectations. Prior to the season I told myself that going 8-8 would be a success. We have far exceeded that. But as soon as Shonn Greene left the game i knew we would lose. Thomas Jones was terrible out there.

So we have 2 solid RBS in Washington and Greene....

dpryde

Benchwarmer
I basically feel the same way as you guys. Sad at the loss, but hopeful for a great future. Rex Ryan was such a great hire.

On a side note: Colts vs Saints. Should definetely be a good Super Bowl.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
The Super Bowl was pretty good. I would give it an 8 out of 10. The Saints did their thing last night. Peyton could of cemented his status as the greatest QB of all time, but failed. I wish my Jets would of played against the Saints in the super bowl. We would of shut down brees like we did early in the season.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
The Super Bowl was pretty good. I would give it an 8 out of 10. The Saints did their thing last night. Peyton could of cemented his status as the greatest QB of all time, but failed. I wish my Jets would of played against the Saints in the super bowl. We would of shut down brees like we did early in the season.

Lol its true your defense held down Brees, but didn't Sanchize throw five picks?

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
This is the guy I'm hoping the Jets draft (best available by the time the Jets are on the clock) :

DE/OLB- Jerry Hughes- TCU

jerry-hughes1.jpg

Jerry Hughes (6'2'', 257 lbs.) had 58 tackles, 11 sacks and 1 forced fumble while playing for TCU last season. He helped lead the horned frogs to a 12-1 record last year.

Hughes plays with a lot of intensity coming off the edge. He will cause match-up problems in the NFL because of his combination of strength and quickness.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Jared is also a guy that we can pick up...He figures to be a late first to mid second round pick...

This coming draft is packed with a lot of talent at the WR, DE and LB positions, so we'll have many options to choose from.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I don't really watch football all that much, but can someone explain to me why we released Lito Sheppard? He seemed pretty good for us.