Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KO basketball game

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    As a kid, I was pretty good: all-city, played AA ball, with a few different coaches, even made it into the PSAL newspaper. However, I lost most of those skills, by about 25, with lack of use. I lost my hops, my shooting touch, etc. I'm still a good freethrow shooter, though and have trained a lot of my players in that area.

I played in a summer league, and I can still play tight D and set people up, and I can knock down an open jumper, though that's still a streaky area; but I really have to get down in weight, if I'm to reach my full potential. I'm about 200 lbs., 6'1, which is too heavy for me, if I'm to play good basketball. My game weight needs to be about 170-175. I'm sure that, if I get down in weight, I'll be good to go.

I hope that, by summer time, we can get a list of people, a meeting place: I know a few and then get it going: 5 on 5, with subs, etc. I wear goggles, too, so that should add to the novelty of a KO game.
    why dont you coach? you'll be helping plenty of kids get that extra support/push...

sorry guys, JPZ can't do this.. lol I do not live in NYC. Anyway, I'd love to see the results. One team can be new guys another old guys. (not by age, date joined the forum) I'm def. a guard, even though I'm 6'4. I can pop threes all day, but I quit bball since I always got pushed around. But by the 4th quarter I was the only one who could still run around the court

Originally Posted by jpz17
    sorry guys, JPZ can't do this.. lol I do not live in NYC. Anyway, I'd love to see the results. One team can be new guys another old guys. (not by age, date joined the forum) I'm def. a guard, even though I'm 6'4. I can pop threes all day, but I quit bball since I always got pushed around. But by the 4th quarter I was the only one who could still run around the court
    I don't live in NYC and I'd still probably show up lol

Originally Posted by jpz17
    LMAOOOO

ive thousands of miles away and i might show up lol

lol I'm more than 3 hours away, and just can't take the effort :P

I'll be back at home in the summer

Originally Posted by DaTPRiNCE
    why dont you coach? you'll be helping plenty of kids get that extra support/push...
    I was an assistant coach, for a couple of years, at the PSAL A division level, as well as for an AA team.

I was an assistant coach, for a couple of years, at the PSAL A division level, as well as for an AA team.
    thats cool, never got the chance to be a head coach or you dont want to?..what school u coached anyways

I'd rather not say, because it would automatically allow anyone to look me up, since I'm still listed as one of the coaches for the team, even though I'm no longer involved. It would also allow my former players to look up the KO site. Trust me, they can do it: I signed up for facebook, and they all tried to add me.

It's a school located in the Manahattan A North division, and we've had a few players actually get scholarships to big schools, though none have become big time college players. Last year, we had a kid get a spot on the Jayhawks.

The way things work, with head coaches, is that they're usually running a team for years, it's their spot, even if, as is sometimes the case, they don't truly do the coaching and instead delegate that to others. In fact, as a HS assistant, many times I've filled in for the real head coach: a long time assistant;

It takes a lot of work to become a coach or assistant, for the PSAL, by the way. I had to take hours of CPR and first aid training, conflict management, etc. Once you get in, though, it's a lot of fun: you become like the head of a family. We've done a couple of halftime shows for the Knicks, battled in the playoffs, played all sorts of teams and eaten at countless restaurants, all over the city. For the players, it's really meaningful, because many of them, though I've had problems with their classroom behavior, don't have a supportive family. Films haven't really done it justice, except for the locker room cursing and the crying.

I'd rather not say, because it would automatically allow anyone to look me up, since I'm still listed as one of the coaches for the team, even though I'm no longer involved. It would also allow my former players to look up the KO site. Trust me, they can do it: I signed up for facebook, and they all tried to add me.

It's a school located in the Manahattan A North division, and we've had a few players actually get scholarships to big schools, though none have become big time college players. Last year, we had a kid get a spot on the Jayhawks.

The way things work, with head coaches, is that they're usually running a team for years, it's their spot, even if, as is sometimes the case, they don't truly do the coaching and instead delegate that to others. In fact, as a HS assistant, many times I've filled in for the real head coach: a long time assistant;

It takes a lot of work to become a coach or assistant, for the PSAL, by the way. I had to take hours of CPR and first aid training, conflict management, etc. Once you get in, though, it's a lot of fun: you become like the head of a family. We've done a couple of halftime shows for the Knicks, battled in the playoffs, played all sorts of teams and eaten at countless restaurants, all over the city. For the players, it's really meaningful, because many of them, though I've had problems with their classroom behavior, don't have a supportive family. Films haven't really done it justice, except for the locker room cursing and the crying.
    sounds cool, but annoying ( going through all the training )....from my understanding you stopped right

Originally Posted by DaTPRiNCE
    sounds cool, but annoying ( going through all the training )....from my understanding you stopped right

It definitely can get annoying. Training is required, every so often, by the year, or every other year, etc., which is why I decided not to do it anymore. You have to get AED certified, which involves learning how to use this machine to resuscitate people, every year. They also make you take first aid and CPR, seperately, every year, in addition to other courses. All of them are about 16 hours long. I was going to take ref. classes, for the extra cash: about 50 dollars, per game; but I didn't want to deal with the hassle, because they also want you to take these classes.

If it's your thing, though, you make it happen. It's definitely exciting, gives you a sense of belonging. The older guys, some of them former NBA players, like Charles Smith, some former ABA players, even Theresa Weatherspoon, from the liberty, love to come around, or even serve as coach-for-the-day, because of their love for the game.

sounds cool, thanks for the info, i might get into it when im old( in my 50's ) and retired i may consider coaching in a private league...but still got a long time before i get to that time lol.

so i guessing you know all the rules, you wont be mad strict during the KO game right?....lmao jk

yo, when is this going down? I've been ballin' the last couple of weeks. i'm ready. all you *****z are gettin' destroyed!!!

I call NYKnicks126 as my first pick.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by GetRealistic
    I call NYKnicks126 as my first pick.
    Damn.
    Low blow.

Plus i would only play if i was guaranteed Kiyaman was on the opposite side so i could beat him and then have to listen to his rational that the Hustle and teamwork of OGKNICKSFAN AND KIYA warrant them recieving 10 milliion dollar extensions.