Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Gallinari overrated?

Default Is Gallinari overrated?

We have people, on this forum, talking about this kid running the point, saying that he can do anything, that he can be a Nowitzki or Torkgolu. We have people, here, constructing lineups, with Lebron James, Stoudamire, Wade and, of course, Gallinari, right next to them, as a starter.

Outside of a few threes, no post up moves, sloppy, out-of-control drives to the basket, what has this guy done to deserve all the hype? He's not even on some Frye sh%t, where Frye was automatic from the perimeter and then cooled off. This cat has nothing to cool off from.

What's the greatest part of his game? Threes. No one can say anything else: 1 dimensional. I bet some of you freaks think he should be rookie of the year and on the rookie-sophomore game.

Prepared for the hate....

I think its his potential and attitude more than any one accomplishment. He is so young but does not look intimidated by anyone. Further the mechanics of his jump shot are as good as anyone's and he has great handling for someone his height.

I agree that at this point he hasn't done much but his ceiling is as good as any rookie in the league.

Well, it's tough for him to show all of his skills when he's only getting about 15 minutes a game. Also, he's still very young (only 19) so he's not gonna be nearly as good now, as he will be in a couple years. And, he's still getting used to the NBA game, coming from euroleague. So you can't expect him to come in and play like Turkoglu or Dirk all of a sudden.

The "hype" comes from people being excited about what he will become. It's obvious he has a lot of potential. I don't think anyone thinks he should be ROY.

He can do more than shoot threes...He just doesn't get the chance with how his teammates play off him.

Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    We have people, on this forum, talking about this kid running the point, saying that he can do anything, that he can be a Nowitzki or Torkgolu. We have people, here, constructing lineups, with Lebron James, Stoudamire, Wade and, of course, Gallinari, right next to them, as a starter.

Outside of a few threes, no post up moves, sloppy, out-of-control drives to the basket, what has this guy done to deserve all the hype? He's not even on some Frye sh%t, where Frye was automatic from the perimeter and then cooled off. This cat has nothing to cool off from.

What's the greatest part of his game? Threes. No one can say anything else: 1 dimensional. I bet some of you freaks think he should be rookie of the year and on the rookie-sophomore game.

Prepared for the hate....
    At pick 6 in any draft you should expect a player to be better than hedo turkolou, thats not asking much and I think thats right baout where he'll end up. Based on what he does the natural evolution of his game seems more to me like Turkolou than anyone else in the game. Dirk is a really bad comparison as Gallo looks to do anything but post up or get good position for rebounds. If he ever rebounds its gonna be like guards rebound where they swoop in and grab it.
    As for saying he could start amoungst great players, its actually very likely that he could and be good at it. But I think the reason that that statement surprizes you is because you feel that all starters are worthy of being the main guy on a team. Saying Gallo can start with them has less to do with feeling he is great than the way his game compliments those guys. Wade and Lebron are superstars who are unselfish and get to the rim at ease, Bosh is a post up operator while Amare is a paint finisher. Either way you look at it Gallo fits perfectly as the guy you can kick it out to. Doesnt mean he's great just means he'd excell at all things that a Jason Kapono would or Wally Szerbiak . Those guys on paper arent starters but they might start because of the way they compliment your superstar.

Get it?

Every player gets overrated by some and underrated by others. I do think that Mike D'antoni was too fast to put Gallinari in the starting lineup. But I think we all need more time before we can say whether or not hes overrate/underrated. I like what I have seen so far.

Come back to this topic in 5 years.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

putting Gallo in the starting lineup was way to early i understand D'Antoni is a big fan of Gallo but he shouldn't be starting yet maybe towards the end of the year when he's in better game shape...but whats the point to start him when he played only 13 mins?.....at least QRich was out the Starting Lineup though loll

Originally Posted by OGKnickfan

Outside of a few threes, no post up moves, sloppy, out-of-control drives to the basket, what has this guy done to deserve all the hype?
    He got drafted by the Knicks!lol

Seriously what are the plans for him? Is he a SF, if so why are we targeting LBJ? Is he a PF? If so he better start practicing his post moves and gain some weight, not worry about threes plus step his D up. Too big to be a SG, so what's the deal. Is he a Sixth man, etc...what is he?

Veteran

zepole is slooooow... a "D" liability... so he better have an outstanding
    "O" game... jury is out, but i think we could have done better with the 6th pick...

The guy reminds me of a young Keith Van Horn.He's a high draft pick, a good 3 point shooter and has some good ball handling.

I think gallinari is a better prospect than nowitski was when he came in the league. Remember that dirk didn't blossom until his third year in the L. He was drafted ninth by the bucks and people in dallas were groaning when they traded tractor traylor for him.

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by SLY1984
    I think gallinari is a better prospect than nowitski was when he came in the league. Remember that dirk didn't blossom until his third year in the L. He was drafted ninth by the bucks and people in dallas were groaning when they traded tractor traylor for him.
    So are you saying that Danilo Gallinari is going to be the next Dirk Nowitzki?

I'm sorry, I just had to laugh. No offense.

Danilo Gallinari reminds me of Tim Thomas. He has an excellent 3 pt accuracy(especially from the corners). However, he has little defense, no post up, and very little rebounding ability, for a guy his size. I see Gallinari as a good role player, but not a star, or even a good 3rd option.

I'm willing to give Gallinari a chance, but this is based on what I have seen so far.
    I hope I'm wrong, because if Gallinari turns into a Tim Thomas, then it was a wasted draft pick. Especially considering the fact that Brook Lopez and DJ Augustin were both available.

Good edit, abcd. Because I was gonna mention that thomas was more of a 7th overall, and not the 20th like you mentioned.

What I meant was that he has the potential to become as good as nowitzki or even better. We'll have to wait and see.

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by SLY1984
    Good edit, abcd. Because I was gonna mention that thomas was more of a 7th overall, and not the 20th like you mentioned.

What I meant was that he has the potential to become as good as nowitzki or even better. We'll have to wait and see.
    Okay, we shall see if Gallinari becomes a 25 ppg player like Nowitzki.