• Yes...tank this sh*t

9 42.86%
  • No...we need a playoff push

12 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft or Playoffs?

Hybrid View

Question Mark Draft or Playoffs?

Still haven't seen enough? 21-31 and Ten games under .500 . One of the worst Defensive teams in the league etc... . At first I was all for making a playoff push and developing our youth, and showcasing our talent to the league and giving Walsh and Mr. Pringle an upfront look at who we had to better asses our assets. But now I say...tank this motherf*cker! I've seen enough and 4 extra games as the 8th seed isn't gonna make that much of a difference in terms of experience, also a draft pick can help us more at this point. *The worse our record is, the more value our pick has for a potential trade. State your case.
    Last edited by Red; Feb 12, 2009 at 09:49.

Im on the fence with this one. A lottery pick would be nice if we get lucky! Knicks have not been lucky since Ewing so we may be over due.

That said, its hard to increase the value of players if we are tanking the rest of the year and this may hurt our ability to move Curry of Jefferies.

In the end I think they should just play hard, give more minutes to Gallo and let the chips fall where they may.

I say keep pushing for that 8th spot. If they tank the rest of the season it would mean that they gave up. People that give up are losers that don't need to be apart of this NYK team. We gotta start now and develop a positive attitude that hasn't been present in the last couple of years.

Mike D wont tank the season... Who do you think he is? Isaiah?

Originally Posted by Giants89FLY
    Mike D wont tank the season... Who do you think he is? Isaiah?
    I felt the same way but after what happened in the end of the Portland game I'm not so sure now.

Originally Posted by SLY1984
    I say keep pushing for that 8th spot. If they tank the rest of the season it would mean that they gave up. People that give up are losers that don't need to be apart of this NYK team. We gotta start now and develop a positive attitude that hasn't been present in the last couple of years.
    But pushing for the 8th seed could have an adverse effect on confidence if we don't make it. By making the playoffs it gives us a false sense of security and makes us believe we are better than we are. I'm not saying throw games away I'm saying I would rather get a high pick over the playoffs at this point. By targeting the draft we are acknowledging we need more pieces. By not we are saying we are content with who we have. After 50 games if u can't tell what we have (and don't) what is another 30 plus gonna change. Are we all of a sudden gonna play D or become clutch? I doubt it. We have peaked, we prob. will not be much better, but hey u never know. Please state your reasons for wanting to make the playoffs.

some people here think the magic dust a decade ago that sprinkled on the team all the way to the Finals will be here again.

maybe not making the playoffs is better than getting swept by Boston.

at the end of the day id rather see my team make an effort to win games and make a playoff push. Id rather lose games where weve put 110% in than games were we lose because we just want a high draft pick

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

i dont wanna tank i want us to be competitive but we should look at the draft now, were 3.5 games out of the 8th seed on monday we were one game out now its 3.5 look at guys like earl clark or dajuan summers or Mullens guys who will be major upgrades and have plenty of potential

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

if there was a season to tank it was in 2003 or last year... I just puke at the thought that a team being paid so many millions goes out to lose.

They should focus on defense and push for that 8th seed with every breath they have.

Mike Antoni, thats his name... No D until he realizes that the best way to score more than your opponents is to stop them from getting to the rim. He should stop being so stubborn and get an assistant that helps him focus on defense.

Originally Posted by Red
    But pushing for the 8th seed could have an adverse effect on confidence if we don't make it. By making the playoffs it gives us a false sense of security and makes us believe we are better than we are. I'm not saying throw games away I'm saying I would rather get a high pick over the playoffs at this point. By targeting the draft we are acknowledging we need more pieces. By not we are saying we are content with who we have. After 50 games if u can't tell what we have (and don't) what is another 30 plus gonna change. Are we all of a sudden gonna play D or become clutch? I doubt it. We have peaked, we prob. will not be much better, but hey u never know. Please state your reasons for wanting to make the playoffs.
    Red, I don't think they will have an adverse effect because they will know that they tried their best if they push for that 8th spot. The talent level is not there and they know it. So trying to overachieve will definitely boost their confidence, wehter they make playoffs or not. If they "gear" up for the draft their pretty much saying they suck. And if the players and coaches are gearing up for the draft, then we might as well get rid of every player and coach for next year because of that type of mentality.

Originally Posted by SLY1984
    Red, I don't think they will have an adverse effect because they will know that they tried their best if they push for that 8th spot. The talent level is not there and they know it. So trying to overachieve will definitely boost their confidence, wehter they make playoffs or not. If they "gear" up for the draft their pretty much saying they suck. And if the players and coaches are gearing up for the draft, then we might as well get rid of every player and coach for next year because of that type of mentality.
    You're right. Targeting the 8th should be the goal. Trying and not making the playoffs is better than not trying at all.

Now Toronto will be competing with us with this new trade. We see them after the Spurs next week I believe.

I would like the Knicks to win as much as possible for record sakes.

Of course we should try to win as many games as possible. If we don't end up making the playoffs, then fine at least we tried. We've been the laughing stock of the NBA for years, we need to get some respect.

Anyway, this years draft isn't really even worth it. Greg Monroe will be good. Thabeet will be pretty good. Since Rubio probably won't enter it, no other players are really worth tanking.

Default Do the math!...Excuse the long post.

Miami is 7 games ahead of us. It is obvious that we cannot catch them at #7. So the only teams we can hope to catch are Bucks, Nets, Bulls (all ahead of us right now)
    Milwaukee is at #8 has a record of 26-29. They also have a winning streak of 2. Lets for a second visit their record 3 games ago. (since that works in our favor and mathematically it works against them)
    They would have a record of 24-28 three games ago having played 52 games and we would have a record of 21-31 with 52 games completed.
    Let us assume that both teams remain fairly injury free till the end of the season since that also works only in our favor.
    Assuming that Milwaukee proceeds roughly at the same pace....
    If they have won 24 out of 52 games, then they will win (24/52) * 82 games by the end of the season = 37.8. Again, giving ourselves some slack.....let us assume that they win 37 games.....not 38.
    We are currently at 21 wins out of 52 games. In order for us to beat Milwaukee for the 8th spot, we have to win 38 games (not 37), because they have already won the tiebreaker against us. They are 3-0 against us this season.
    So out of the remaining 30 games, we have to win at least 17. That is a winning percentage of 56.6 when our current winning percentage is 40.4!!!!! Out of these 30 games, we have 15 home games and 15 road games left.
    On the road, we are 7 of 26 = a winning percentage of 27% and at home we are 14 of 26 which is roughly 54%. Let us increase the winning percentage home AND on the road by 10% each (which would seem to be the best case scenario).
    So out of the remaining 15 road games, we would win 37% of 15 = 5.55 games
    And out of the remaining home games, we would win 64% of 15 = 9.6 games
    That puts us at 15 wins......when what we need is 17.
    Time to play Chandler, Gallo and Roberson (probably) major minutes and bring back Patrick Ewin Jr.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]