Draft or Playoffs?

Draft or Playoffs?

• Total voters

Red

TYPE-A
Still haven't seen enough? 21-31 and Ten games under .500 . One of the worst Defensive teams in the league etc... . At first I was all for making a playoff push and developing our youth, and showcasing our talent to the league and giving Walsh and Mr. Pringle an upfront look at who we had to better asses our assets. But now I say...tank this motherf*cker! I've seen enough and 4 extra games as the 8th seed isn't gonna make that much of a difference in terms of experience, also a draft pick can help us more at this point. *The worse our record is, the more value our pick has for a potential trade. State your case.

Last edited:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Im on the fence with this one. A lottery pick would be nice if we get lucky! Knicks have not been lucky since Ewing so we may be over due.

That said, its hard to increase the value of players if we are tanking the rest of the year and this may hurt our ability to move Curry of Jefferies.

In the end I think they should just play hard, give more minutes to Gallo and let the chips fall where they may.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I say keep pushing for that 8th spot. If they tank the rest of the season it would mean that they gave up. People that give up are losers that don't need to be apart of this NYK team. We gotta start now and develop a positive attitude that hasn't been present in the last couple of years.

Red

TYPE-A
I say keep pushing for that 8th spot. If they tank the rest of the season it would mean that they gave up. People that give up are losers that don't need to be apart of this NYK team. We gotta start now and develop a positive attitude that hasn't been present in the last couple of years.

But pushing for the 8th seed could have an adverse effect on confidence if we don't make it. By making the playoffs it gives us a false sense of security and makes us believe we are better than we are. I'm not saying throw games away I'm saying I would rather get a high pick over the playoffs at this point. By targeting the draft we are acknowledging we need more pieces. By not we are saying we are content with who we have. After 50 games if u can't tell what we have (and don't) what is another 30 plus gonna change. Are we all of a sudden gonna play D or become clutch? I doubt it. We have peaked, we prob. will not be much better, but hey u never know. Please state your reasons for wanting to make the playoffs.

quiggle

Starter
some people here think the magic dust a decade ago that sprinkled on the team all the way to the Finals will be here again.

maybe not making the playoffs is better than getting swept by Boston.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
at the end of the day id rather see my team make an effort to win games and make a playoff push. Id rather lose games where weve put 110% in than games were we lose because we just want a high draft pick

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i dont wanna tank i want us to be competitive but we should look at the draft now, were 3.5 games out of the 8th seed on monday we were one game out now its 3.5 look at guys like earl clark or dajuan summers or Mullens guys who will be major upgrades and have plenty of potential

portega1968

El Cacique
if there was a season to tank it was in 2003 or last year... I just puke at the thought that a team being paid so many millions goes out to lose.

They should focus on defense and push for that 8th seed with every breath they have.

Mike Antoni, thats his name... No D until he realizes that the best way to score more than your opponents is to stop them from getting to the rim. He should stop being so stubborn and get an assistant that helps him focus on defense.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
We don't currently own a 2010 draft pick who belongs to UTAH via Phoenix (2004 Marbury trade), so I want a HIGH draft pick in 2009. I also want us to trade Lee/Nate for picks and expiring deals. I have been saying this for weeks and a bunch of Lee fans come to his defense. Lee is a garbage man, someone who recovers someone's miss or turnover. His defense is horrible and I want him traded. Tank the freaking season !!!

Do you actually think that with this roster that we will win 40 games and make the playoffs? The reason we won 6/7 was because teams took us for granted. No more playoff talk until next season...Enough already!

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
I just puke at the thought that a team being paid so many millions goes out to lose.

this is new york. We dont go out like bitches, we fight on no matter who the hell plays for us. Tanking is an excuse for being lazy and setting in a negative state of mind.

JayJ44

Starter
Of course we should try to win as many games as possible. If we don't end up making the playoffs, then fine at least we tried. We've been the laughing stock of the NBA for years, we need to get some respect.

Anyway, this years draft isn't really even worth it. Greg Monroe will be good. Thabeet will be pretty good. Since Rubio probably won't enter it, no other players are really worth tanking.

Red

TYPE-A
Do the math!...Excuse the long post.

Miami is 7 games ahead of us. It is obvious that we cannot catch them at #7. So the only teams we can hope to catch are Bucks, Nets, Bulls (all ahead of us right now)
Milwaukee is at #8 has a record of 26-29. They also have a winning streak of 2. Lets for a second visit their record 3 games ago. (since that works in our favor and mathematically it works against them)
They would have a record of 24-28 three games ago having played 52 games and we would have a record of 21-31 with 52 games completed.
Let us assume that both teams remain fairly injury free till the end of the season since that also works only in our favor.
Assuming that Milwaukee proceeds roughly at the same pace....
If they have won 24 out of 52 games, then they will win (24/52) * 82 games by the end of the season = 37.8. Again, giving ourselves some slack.....let us assume that they win 37 games.....not 38.
We are currently at 21 wins out of 52 games. In order for us to beat Milwaukee for the 8th spot, we have to win 38 games (not 37), because they have already won the tiebreaker against us. They are 3-0 against us this season.
So out of the remaining 30 games, we have to win at least 17. That is a winning percentage of 56.6 when our current winning percentage is 40.4!!!!! Out of these 30 games, we have 15 home games and 15 road games left.
On the road, we are 7 of 26 = a winning percentage of 27% and at home we are 14 of 26 which is roughly 54%. Let us increase the winning percentage home AND on the road by 10% each (which would seem to be the best case scenario).
So out of the remaining 15 road games, we would win 37% of 15 = 5.55 games
And out of the remaining home games, we would win 64% of 15 = 9.6 games
That puts us at 15 wins......when what we need is 17.
Time to play Chandler, Gallo and Roberson (probably) major minutes and bring back Patrick Ewin Jr.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2009/02/bottom-line-knicks-are-soft.html

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Knicks should play to win. Tanking does not guarantee a top 5 pick. Remember last year? The Knicks only won 23 games, and who got the #1 pick? The 33-49 Chicago Bulls. The Knicks need to just be as competitive as they can. As hard as it may seem to believe, there are plenty of quality players that can be drafted, even with the 10th, 15th, or 20th overall pick.

Examples: 10th overall-Brook Lopez(2008), 14th overall-Al Thornton(2007), 17th overall Danny Granger(2005), 15th overall Al Jefferson(2004), 18th overall David West(2003), 10th overall Caron Butler(2002), 19th overall-Zach Randolph(2001)

I do not feel the Knicks have any shot at making the playoffs this year, because they do not have enough talent to consistently win games, but that does not mean that the Knicks have to lose all of their games on purpose.

Red

TYPE-A
The Knicks should play to win. Tanking does not guarantee a top 5 pick. Remember last year? The Knicks only won 23 games, and who got the #1 pick? The 33-49 Chicago Bulls. The Knicks need to just be as competitive as they can. As hard as it may seem to believe, there are plenty of quality players that can be drafted, even with the 10th, 15th, or 20th overall pick.

Examples: 10th overall-Brook Lopez(2008), 14th overall-Al Thornton(2007), 17th overall Danny Granger(2005), 15th overall Al Jefferson(2004), 18th overall David West(2003), 10th overall Caron Butler(2002), 19th overall-Zach Randolph(2001)

I do not feel the Knicks have any shot at making the playoffs this year, because they do not have enough talent to consistently win games, but that does not mean that the Knicks have to lose all of their games on purpose.

Good point. I said "tank" and it was mis-leading. What I should've said was should the Knicks gear up for the Draft or Playoffs. Not giving all out effort is NEVER an option win or lose.

Unfortunately I'm predicting a trade for probably another PG, another poor finish and, a top ten pick in this years draft. Actually I'm predicting a Top 5 Pick- Book it!

metrocard

Legend
eh, you play to win the game.

Knicks should focus on winning and improving as a team...but trades need to be made...you can't win with a roster of losing players or players with a lot of losing experiences.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
if a trade isn't made before the deadline were heading to the lottery but if we do a trade we ave a fighting chance......bottom line a change is needed

Red

TYPE-A
I repeat: Stephen A Smith said "Amare really wants to come to NY" and Shaq isn't a bad move for the next 2 yrs. I gave up on him but I'll stay patient till the deadline.