Draft or Playoffs?

Draft or Playoffs?

• Total voters

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I repeat: Stephen A Smith said "Amare really wants to come to NY" and Shaq isn't a bad move for the next 2 yrs. I gave up on him but I'll stay patient till the deadline.

Do it Donnie.........STAT will make us instant playoff contenders

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
But pushing for the 8th seed could have an adverse effect on confidence if we don't make it. By making the playoffs it gives us a false sense of security and makes us believe we are better than we are. I'm not saying throw games away I'm saying I would rather get a high pick over the playoffs at this point. By targeting the draft we are acknowledging we need more pieces. By not we are saying we are content with who we have. After 50 games if u can't tell what we have (and don't) what is another 30 plus gonna change. Are we all of a sudden gonna play D or become clutch? I doubt it. We have peaked, we prob. will not be much better, but hey u never know. Please state your reasons for wanting to make the playoffs.

Red, I don't think they will have an adverse effect because they will know that they tried their best if they push for that 8th spot. The talent level is not there and they know it. So trying to overachieve will definitely boost their confidence, wehter they make playoffs or not. If they "gear" up for the draft their pretty much saying they suck. And if the players and coaches are gearing up for the draft, then we might as well get rid of every player and coach for next year because of that type of mentality.

Red

TYPE-A
Red, I don't think they will have an adverse effect because they will know that they tried their best if they push for that 8th spot. The talent level is not there and they know it. So trying to overachieve will definitely boost their confidence, wehter they make playoffs or not. If they "gear" up for the draft their pretty much saying they suck. And if the players and coaches are gearing up for the draft, then we might as well get rid of every player and coach for next year because of that type of mentality.

You're right. Targeting the 8th should be the goal. Trying and not making the playoffs is better than not trying at all.

Now Toronto will be competing with us with this new trade. We see them after the Spurs next week I believe.

smokes

Huge Member
You're right. Targeting the 8th should be the goal. Trying and not making the playoffs is better than not trying at all.

Now Toronto will be competing with us with this new trade. We see them after the Spurs next week I believe.

Yep, back to back. Say hello to the bottom of the Atlantic lol.

Kiyaman

Legend
D'Antoni and Walsh have stated their focus is on being good this season, not snoozing until 2010. but that statement can be questioned.

The Knicks are currently in the 10th/11th pick slot, tied with the Bobcats. Tanking isn't really an option.
The Wizards, , Kings, Clippers, Thunder, Grizzlies and the Wolves without Jefferson are all just so bad that unless the Knicks lose nearly every game, they won't get into a good enough lottery position to make it worth it. The Knicks are a full 8.5 games ahead of the 3rd worst record in the NBA. And 4th worst for that matter since the Clippers/Thunder are tied there. Whereas they are 3.5 games behind the 8th seed.
So Tanking will not get us a low pick....especially vs the 10 lowest teams right now.

I think the Knicks will fall short of the playoffs and end up with a pick in the 12 to 16 range. While getting pick 8 to 9 would obviously be a nicer range, I think the young players will benefit more in the long run from working hard, being competitive, developing chemistry and really trying to be a good team that can be even better in the future.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Ok I voted for the "tank the season" option because it was the closest thing to what I want to see happen.

Truthfully I do not want to see us "tank" because it is embarassing to be a perinal loser each year. Plus, I think Mike needs a strong finish to keep the ever fickle New York City media and fans behind him.

With all that said, I'd still like a lottery pick this year over the playoffs. Currently we are in a crazy four team tie for 8th worst record in the league. Lets just say that we finish with the 8th worst record, then we would draft anywhere between 8th and 11th ( mind you 11th is highly improbable, it is more likely we get a top 3 than 11th with 8th worst record) we make the playoffs and it is 13th for sure. We are talking about missing out on 5 projected better players all for a first round sweep.

Now I'm no draft expert the extent of my knowledge is from NBA Draft Express, but it looks like there are some players who could fill our SG and Center needs in the lottery.

I look at the playoff as a consolation prize if you have a losing record. Really making the playoffs with a losing record makes you a playoff team by default. Not that you played good, it's just that the rest of the feild was so bad!

Now consider that by missing the playoffs there is a chance-albeit pretty slim with the 8th worst record- of winning the lottery or even just sliding into the top 3. Now the top 3 projected players from NBA Draft Express are.....

1.Griffin
2.James Harden
3.Greg Monroe

Picks two and three certainley fill a void, add Rubio to the mix and now missing the playoffs doesnt seem too bad.

I want to see us really become a winner not just a team that is looking good compared to the low expectations that the Isiah era has bought about. And that is going to take time and rebuilding. And it is much better to rebuild with lottery picks.

Now if this draft was projected to be as deep as the Oden/Durant class and we could snag a lottery caliber player with the 14th pick then yeah that would be the win win. But even that scenerio doesnt get us a crack at the talent at the top of the draft.

smokes

Huge Member
Honestly I wouldn't care if we lost every game for the rest of the season, as long as we played hard and stay competetive. Dream week was not too bad, close games all of them, could have gone our way with a bit of luck. The 3 games after were proper busts though, one game thrown by a coach, one game thrown by a player and one game total blowout.

8th would be nice but it's not realistic unless we get some new blood, especially since Toronto *should* overtake us in the Atlantic and the Nets *should* pull away considering their roster is considerably better than ours.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I voted for the tanking of the season.

The poll should have read:

Would you prefer a decent pick or a playoff birth?

Considering our lack of ability in the waning moments of a close one & our bi-polar team personality, a playoff birth just seems vain.

A team plays with the common goal of every other team; to win.
We're not winners yet. Look at our team.

I'd keep none bar Lee, Chandler & Gallinari if given the option to do some spring cleaning. Maybe Duhon.

An inevitable first round, 4 game flogging isn't inspiring. A potentially top 5 pick at least has a bit of hope behind it.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Honestly I wouldn't care if we lost every game for the rest of the season, as long as we played hard and stay competetive. Dream week was not too bad, close games all of them, could have gone our way with a bit of luck. The 3 games after were proper busts though, one game thrown by a coach, one game thrown by a player and one game total blowout.

8th would be nice but it's not realistic unless we get some new blood, especially since Toronto *should* overtake us in the Atlantic and the Nets *should* pull away considering their roster is considerably better than ours.

But would you really want an 8th seed if we are 38 and 44? It would still represent yet another losing season for us. And again we are just benefiting from being in a weak Conference if we made the playoffs not at all indicating a talented team.

If we were in Phoenix,Utah's or Dallas' position then I'd say yeah it's playoffs or bust. Because those are teams that are truly good enough to be in the playoffs. Truth of the matter we are not a playoff team yet.

I love the progress we have made this year, Mike Dantoni and Donnie Walsh have given us something to be excited about again, and really that is good enough.