Why does Portland want David Lee?

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
Im curious about this, they seem to have a real hard on for David. They have a number 1 overall pick at center, who is young and developing, and a number 3 overall pick at the 4 spot in Aldridge. Where are they gonna play Lee? Aldridge cant play the 3, so i dont get this.

Red

TYPE-A
Im curious about this, they seem to have a real hard on for David. They have a number 1 overall pick at center, who is young and developing, and a number 3 overall pick at the 4 spot in Aldridge. Where are they gonna play Lee? Aldridge cant play the 3, so i dont get this.

Oden is hurt again and hasn't been completely healthy. Aldridge along with others will be too expensive to keep. Like most teams they feel Lee can get the job done for cheeper, and will be a free agent at this summer if things don't work out. They have expiring contracts to move so they feel why not (rent) take a chance with Lee knowing they really have nothing 2 lose. The question is don't they want him enough to take on Curry or Jeffries. Walsh WILL NOT move Lee or N8 if teams are unwilling to take on Curry or Jeffries. He would rather keep them and either trade b4 July, sign and trade or just lose them completely which is better than hindering 2010.

Starks

Starter
I think they aren't confident in Greg Oden and feel more comfortable building around BRoy. Lee is a complimentary player that would really help propel a team in the standings.

Look at Oden's salary and what the Blazers are committed to, I think they are secretly shopping him around the league

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
So you think they are just renting him for the rest of this year? I dont get that, they have such a huge chip with Lafretz's expiring deal, its 80% insured, so its very attracitive to teams. I think they can do better than a 1 year rental for David. They should try and get a PG or a stud 3.

Starks

Starter
So you think they are just renting him for the rest of this year? I dont get that, they have such a huge chip with Lafretz's expiring deal, its 80% insured, so its very attracitive to teams. I think they can do better than a 1 year rental for David. They should try and get a PG or a stud 3.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b9atvz

Check this out:

Knicks get:
Greg Oden
L. Barbosa
R. Lefrentz

Blazers get:
Amare
David Lee

Suns get:
Stephon

Knicks get their Starting Center and LeFrentz expiring contract
Suns move Amare and have 20m off the books so that they can properly rebuild
Blazers get David Lee who they have a hard on for, and get Amare- a win now center.

I think this trade is gold. I should be a GM

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b9atvz

Check this out:

Knicks get:
Greg Oden
L. Barbosa
R. Lefrentz

Blazers get:
Amare
David Lee

Suns get:
Stephon

Knicks get their Starting Center and LeFrentz expiring contract
Suns move Amare and have 20m off the books so that they can properly rebuild
Blazers get David Lee who they have a hard on for, and get Amare- a win now center.

I think this trade is gold. I should be a GM

Why would the Suns do this? Its great for us and the Blazers, but the Suns would be stupid to do this.

Starks

Starter
The Suns want to move Amare becuase they are in a rebuilding mode. They are committeed to wayyyy too much of Amare's contract. With Steph's cotnract they rid themselves of Amare's contract and have 20 mil off the books as opposed to 3-4 more seasons of paying 20m to Amare.

Add the fact that he doesn't play any defense at all and that they realize his game is at its peak, they are best to move him now rather than later.

It's more of longterm organizational solution. Plus it seems as if the organization aren't that high on Amare as they used to be. Bringing in Shaq was a last ditch effort to win a ring. With Kerr, they are in complete disaray and need to blow it up when they have assets to move. Teams wait too long to move a guy, and then they end up like the Knicks paying 20 mil a season to a player everyone in the league is just waiting to become a FA

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Lee wont be back if the price is too high but if it's around 9 mil he'll be resigned Nate is without a doubt getting resigned.

so why not trade lee and get some great value in return?

Red

TYPE-A

I don't mean rent him ONLY for 1 yr. I mean it doesn't cost them anything to try him in their system w/ their players for the rest of the season and IF he doesn't work out then they lose nothing. If it does work they re- sign him (or match his offer) for what they will see as a bargain for what he offers. Its a win win in their eyes. Get rid of an expiring contract for one which might be an upgrade next season without any commitment

smokes

Huge Member
The Suns want to move Amare becuase they are in a rebuilding mode. They are committeed to wayyyy too much of Amare's contract. With Steph's cotnract they rid themselves of Amare's contract and have 20 mil off the books as opposed to 3-4 more seasons of paying 20m to Amare.

Add the fact that he doesn't play any defense at all and that they realize his game is at its peak, they are best to move him now rather than later.

It's more of longterm organizational solution. Plus it seems as if the organization aren't that high on Amare as they used to be. Bringing in Shaq was a last ditch effort to win a ring. With Kerr, they are in complete disaray and need to blow it up when they have assets to move. Teams wait too long to move a guy, and then they end up like the Knicks paying 20 mil a season to a player everyone in the league is just waiting to become a FA

Yeah but the Suns new (old) game tactics of run and gun are back and Amare fits perfectly in that system, they're only commited to him for 1 more season. I think they would rather move Shaq than Amare due to them playing the run and gun.

Starks

Starter
I think the trade still works out for everyone if Shaq is inplace of Amare. Still makes sense for all parties. Blazers would have Lee and Shaq this season, and I that would put them right there with the Spurs and Lakers

portega1968

El Cacique
I think Portland wants Lee for two reasons:

1. They know Greg Oden will always be injured cause the guy has one leg longer than the other. There is just no way that this guy ever plays a fullseason without getting hurt cause of this physical anomaly. Another 1st pick that will go down as a bust ala Joe Smith and Michael Olowakandi.

2. Having Lee would allow them to use him or Aldridge in a sign-and-trade this summer to go after Stoudamire (Suns would love to have Lee but refuse to do any deal with the Knicks) or another max player.

As for the 3way trade proposed above, I repeat, Suns aint doing no deals with the Knicks, directly or indirectly... just not happening.

20 is a CROOK

Benchwarmer
i read something interesting...I am not sure where could have even been on this board.

It was that since Lee is a restricted FA we would have to match a contract he is offered. Problem is that only one team in the league will have significant cap room to make him an offer: Memphis. Lee already stated he didnt want to play there before last yr's draft when we tried to trade him there.

Therefore teams can only offer him the MLE which we would glady match. Getting Lee at 6MM per would be awesome. I think the Knicks may luck out and be able to sign him for 7MM and change.

If memphis comes in with 10MM then u gotta let him go...unless he doesnt sign which is a possibility, i would certainly rather take 7ish and play in NY than 10 in memphis.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player

B/c they're smart! They want to get Lee and bring him off the bench and they know he will still get his double double.They are doing what the Knicks should and bring him off the bench when 2010 comes.Our lost and their gain!!

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
if we're gonna trade lee, at least make it a good deal.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=dlmbds

Knicks get:
Bayless
Oden
Camby
Ricky Davis

Blazers get:
Lee
Roberson
Al THornton
Mike Taylor

Clippers get:
Al Harrington
Quentin Richardson
S. Randolph

Knicks get Oden and Camby in the middle, Davis' contract expires after this year, Bayless gives Duhon true pg relief.

Clippers would never do this. Camby Bayless and Thornton, and all the get is Harrington? no way

B/c they're smart! They want to get Lee and bring him off the bench and they know he will still get his double double.They are doing what the Knicks should and bring him off the bench when 2010 comes.Our lost and their gain!!
they're smart becuase they have a hard on for david lee?
so you must be the most intelligent poster here.

Last edited:

Shonuff

Rookie
Knicks should not lose him under any circumstances that don't involve dumping Eddy Curry!

Want Lee? Lee + Curry only!