Knicks get Hughes and Wilcox

Good move?

• Total voters

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

It is not immediately clear if this would be two separate trades or a three-way exchange, but I'm hearing that Oklahoma City's Chris Wilcox -- who went back to the Thunder on Wednesday night when the Tyson Chandler trade was rescinded -- and Chicago's Larry Hughes are New York-bound.
To complete the transaction(s), Oklahoma City would get Malik Rose and Chicago would receive Tim Thomas, Jerome James and Anthony Roberson.
Trying to nail it all down for you.

Thoughts?

smokes

Huge Member
Not bad, not really exciting though. Thomas and Wilcox are more or less a trade off, Wilcox not great but he has potential. Getting Hughes fills a bit of a gap but would rather have someone consistent. Getting rid of James is nice though.

diesel1984

Rookie
does it really matter i meanwe get an "ok" sg but does this mean we free up another spot so we could bring up patrick ewing jr. do you really think this would help us?

diesel1984

Rookie
wow we did a deal espn has it on a breaking news hughes for thomas and james damn!!!! we stilll can ship out rose we got 20 min lets do it donnie!

GetRealistic

Starter
I think its way more major then you people make it out to be. Larry Hughes is far from a great player but he is a shooting guard with size that can defend. He would immediately be one of our best perimter defenders. Also his contract is off the books after 09 and it frees up a roster spot for us to bring in another player. Hughes also has enough experience at the point guard position that he can fill the role as a backup point.

Chris Wilcox is a atheltic shooting blocking big man. He's been buried on the bench in Seattle but he has some game. He give us more rebonding and some shot blocking. Not to mention the fact he can atleast play some minutes something that Malik Rose coudln't do.

quiggle

Starter
doesn't Hughes replace one of the three players traded spots?

at least now we can finally call up Ewing Jr.

GetRealistic

Starter
Donnie did exactly what he siad he was going to do. He improved the team (maybe only slightly) while not mortaging the 2010 plan.

hughes expires after this year, so does jeromes, and thomas' and roberson's contracts come off the books by 2010 so it really does nothinfg to help or hurt us in 2010. And before this trade, the knicks roster had 1 openspot because of Mobely retiring. Now the knicks just did a 3 for 1 deal-opening up 2 more spots. I might be wrong but im pretty sure thats how it works.

Ewing

Benchwarmer
Wilcox is a proven rebounder and a decent presence on D, while Hughes can ad 10/15pts a game for us.
Two good moves in my opinion.

Shonuff

Rookie
For us, it shouldn't be about getting more players but getting rid of certain toxic cash eating players.

While I like the trade for Wilcox and Hughes, I think the Knicks needed to find a way to dump Jeffries & Curry.

New York has two players (Eddy Curry at $11.3 million, Jared Jeffries at $6.9 million) under contract for 2010-11, plus player options for Wilson Chandler ($2.1 million) and Danilo Gallinari ($3.3 million). Also, they'll be committed to paying their 2009 draft pick somewhere from $5.6 million (if they miss the playoffs and win the draft lottery) and $1.8 million (if they finish eighth in the East, make the playoffs and draft 15th.)
They have to find a way to eliminate Jarred Jeffries and Eddy Curry because of their contracts!

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
The wilcox deal is still not official but i think both trades are good. Hughes is a decent roll player...we dont really have a true shooting guard so it will be nice to have one again. Wilcox will give us some nice highlights on some nights but hes a disappointment in my opinion. He should be a better shot blocker and all around player then he is...smh @ Wilcox only blockin .3 shots per game

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
This also fress up time for gallinari and chandler by getting rid of tim thomas. We should see both their numbers rise.

smokes

Huge Member
Yeah it's nice trades, we improve our team without losing out anywhere. Nothing special but definately an improvement, I guess people were hoping for a lot more with Tyson Chandler being shopped and stuff, still, can't complain :peace:

Asimov

Benchwarmer
Hughes is basically a shorter Tim Thomas....both are bums

I like the Wilcox, atleast he's not dead weight- can give the knicks some sort of inside presence finally and maybe someone else other than D-Lee can rebound the ball.

Thank god we didn't get Shaq