18-10

Is .500 realistic?

• It would be nice....but naw it isnt gettin done this year

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • We'd have to dig down deep to do it, but it is somewhat possible!

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • An 18-10 record is highly realistic

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

New New York

Quiet Storm
This is the record needed for a .500 record. That is an average of two wins-I obviously rounded up- for every one loss. In looking at our schedule that does indeed look realistic. Lets just take the next 3 games Tor,Ind,Orl. We have a good chance of winning 2 of 3 with Orlando being the likely loss.

The problem is that we have been so eradict this season that there are no such thing as "should wins". I mean we are a team that went from beating Boston to losing to OKC and then three games later knocking off NO on the road. But, our condidence should be high after beating SA and we showed that last night.

The Good news is that our season series against Boston, SA, and LA are finished. And we only have one more game against The Cavs

The Bad news is that we havent started our season series against Orlando which could very well represent four losses in itself. We have 18 more road games and they are against some tough teams like Den and Utah. Plus the last game agains Clev is on the road-although that really doesnt matter either way I suppose-.

Bottom line we need the next two and I would love to see us steal one against Orlando. More wins now allow for a wider margin of error so we need to hit a nice win streak. Six would be nice to nulify the rough skid leading to The All Star Break.

smokes

Huge Member
I really think we can do a lot better with these 2 additions though. I was pretty down on this team before the deadline but this is definately some hope. Think about dream week, we were close in all those games with players like Kobe lighting us up. Hughes can definately help us there, and having a stronger guy at C who can actually add a few points instead of Jefferies should give us that edge. IMO "Should" wins really should be wins now, and tough games have the opportunity to be wins if we hold onto ourselves in the fourth. The next week should be a good indicator of what we are capable of, granted that Wilcox and Hughes can gel with our current team quickly.

:gony:

New New York

Quiet Storm
I really think we can do a lot better with these 2 additions though. I was pretty down on this team before the deadline but this is definately some hope. Think about dream week, we were close in all those games with players like Kobe lighting us up. Hughes can definately help us there, and having a stronger guy at C who can actually add a few points instead of Jefferies should give us that edge. IMO "Should" wins really should be wins now, and tough games have the opportunity to be wins if we hold onto ourselves in the fourth. The next week should be a good indicator of what we are capable of, granted that Wilcox and Hughes can gel with our current team quickly.

:gony:

Great Point about next week. Clyde said "Dream Week" wouldnt make or break the season, but, the losses to Portland,GS, and LAC after just compounded those losses. We have to have a serious sense of urgency this week. If we can finsish 3-1 this week then I like our chances.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
it's not out of the question, we have a better team now and we could get it done....if we continue to play well and avoid long losing streaks then its possible.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Hell yea that would be great. Going from 23 to 41 wins? That would show just how much of a cancer isaiah was as a coach/gm, and hopefully he won't get hired in the nba again...well, as long as its only for the celtics...I don't mind seeing them as a lottery team again.

johnstarky

Rotation player
There have been many games this season in which the Knicks were a couple of pocessions away from winning but messed up towards the end.The Knicks could of easily beaten the Lakers both times they played them,could of stold 2 games from the Celtics and could of had both games that they played against Portland.I never understood the reason behind their poor performances against Oklahoma City and Minnesota.I believe that this team is a lot better than what their current record is.What separates them from the teams that are ahead of them in the eastern conference standings is the lack of a superstar.The Knicks haven't had any of those on their team since Allan Houston,and no,Stephon Marbury was never a super star when he was with the Knicks.In order for the Knicks to make the playoffs they have to go on a winning streak of at least 6 wins or more without having any major losing streak for the rest of the season.The Bucks are too good of a team to fall any more behind on.Even with out Michael Redd they find ways to win tough games.I give the Knicks a 70% chance of making the playoffs, Infact I believe that they're good enough not to get swept in a playoff series.

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
There have been many games this season in which the Knicks were a couple of pocessions away from winning but messed up towards the end.The Knicks could of easily beaten the Lakers both times they played them,could of stold 2 games from the Celtics and could of had both games that they played against Portland.I never understood the reason behind their poor performances against Oklahoma City and Minnesota.I believe that this team is a lot better than what their current record is.What separates them from the teams that are ahead of them in the eastern conference standings is the lack of a superstar.The Knicks haven't had any of those on their team since Allan Houston,and no,Stephon Marbury was never a super star when he was with the Knicks.In order for the Knicks to make the playoffs they have to go on a winning streak of at least 6 wins or more without having any major losing streak for the rest of the season.The Bucks are too good of a team to fall any more behind on.Even with out Michael Redd they find ways to win tough games.I give the Knicks a 70% chance of making the playoffs, Infact I believe that they're good enough not to get swept in a playoff series.

I agree about Mil. they have not let up since losing Redd, and the most difficult part of their schedule is behind them. They face Den. today which is a team that they could lose to but the type of team they have been knocking off all seaon, only making it more important that we get a win today!

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks next 10 games....we have the ability to go 8-2 or 7-3 all depending on how well Larry Hughes turnover/assist ratio affects our team chemistry.

We have a 23-31 record now inwhich being 30-34 in the next 10 games will give us the leverage to fight for the 6th spot in the remaining 18 games of this season. Later for the 8th or 7th spot we do not want to face a veteran playoff team like Boston or Cavs in a series when we could go 7 games with the Orlando Magic in the first round. Seven Postseason games is a great preperation to start the 2009-10 season off with.

This is where the February trades kick in to enhance our endurance throughout the 2nd half of the season.

We were in dire need of a SG that can take some pressure off of Duhon & Nate in the backcourt to have fresh legs in the 4th Qtr..

We were in dire need of a Big strong rebounder that will score downlow and work on his FT % so our double-double machine David Lee and our young offense/defense Chandler could have that 4th quarter hustle energy to bring home the game.

Kiyaman

Legend
28 game schedule

Our next 10 games will show how desperately the Players & Coach want to have a winning season (In the next 10 games we must beat every oponent that is making the playoffs).

Rap -
Indy -
Orl -
Phi -
Mia -
Atl - MARCH 4th
Cha -
NJ -
Mil -
Det - 10 games
Minn -
Clev -
NJ -
Sac -
Orl -
Orl -
LAC -
NO -
Cha -
Utah - 20 games
Den -
Rap - APRIL 4th
Rap -
Chi -
Det -
Orl -
Mia -
NJ - 82nd game

Last edited:

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
I stronly agree. The next 10 games are crucial. I think in total we can come out of this 20-8 depending on how our trades turn out. I would like to steal 2 out of 4 against Orlando. Wilcox helps us with Dwigght. We would've had no chance otherwise.

johnstarky

Rotation player
If the Knicks don't make the playoffs this season I wouldn't be disappointed at all because they would get a better draft pick.Maybe they can get as lucky as Chicago did in last year's draft by landing themselves a high pick.Next season has to be the season that they can't afford to miss the playoffs cause if they do and finish with a losing record they will not get anything for it in the draft, since they already traded away their pick.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i agree, our next ten games will likely determine how our season ends, lottery or playoffs,

we started off these 10 games with a loss to the raptors, we have to bounce back tomorrow and beat Indy, we cant afford any losing streaks.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
we should go about 6-3 over our next 9 games, hopefully......5-4 will be ok but at this point we need all the wins we could get.

dave2138

Rotation player
If the Knicks don't make the playoffs this season I wouldn't be disappointed at all because they would get a better draft pick.Maybe they can get as lucky as Chicago did in last year's draft by landing themselves a high pick.Next season has to be the season that they can't afford to miss the playoffs cause if they do and finish with a losing record they will not get anything for it in the draft, since they already traded away their pick.

I agree that I also wouldn't be disappointed if the knicks didn't make the playoffs as no one expected it from them all season. It would be a nice surprise if they did, but can't cry if they don't.

Knicks have pretty much no chance of getting a top 3 pick next year..I think its something crazy like .3%..I wouldn't get your hopes up.

jpz17

Starter
if Larry Hughes doesn't work out, bench him no loss. We gave up Timmy, and thats it. so I don't see chemistry affecting this. Our current squad has a good flow to their game. No selfish players.. I can see this team being a 50 win team in say 2 seasons with the added chemistry

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Neither outcome

We are not going to tank, nor are we going 18-10.

We probably finish strong but miss the playoffs.

I hope we then get lucky and land Thabeet in the draft (probably need to win the fourth pick).

If we draft 10-12 (more likely) then we will need to trade up to get Thabeet. I would do that trade so long as we keep Gallo, Chandler, and Lee. Anyone else is tradeable in my book including Nate and Duhon (although I like aspects of both of their games and would prefer not to involve them).

I might include Wilcox in that do not trade list, depending on what happens with him. I also like Harrington's explosiveness, although he is inconsistent. I really like having three scrappers (Lee, Wilcox, and Nate) if we can afford all three along with the fancy talents (Chandler, Gallo, and Lebron).

I would use the two roster spots for Pat Ewing Jr and Carlos Delfino, and Starbury for the draft pick (Thabeet or a point prospect). Greg Monroe is good but a duplicate talent on this team. We need a shot blocker and a playmaker (although Nate is starting to be a better assist man and is trying to cut back on the turnovers).

New New York

Quiet Storm
We are not going to tank, nor are we going 18-10.

We probably finish strong but miss the playoffs.

I hope we then get lucky and land Thabeet in the draft (probably need to win the fourth pick).

If we draft 10-12 (more likely) then we will need to trade up to get Thabeet. I would do that trade so long as we keep Gallo, Chandler, and Lee. Anyone else is tradeable in my book including Nate and Duhon (although I like aspects of both of their games and would prefer not to involve them).

I might include Wilcox in that do not trade list, depending on what happens with him. I also like Harrington's explosiveness, although he is inconsistent. I really like having three scrappers (Lee, Wilcox, and Nate) if we can afford all three along with the fancy talents (Chandler, Gallo, and Lebron).

I would use the two roster spots for Pat Ewing Jr and Carlos Delfino, and Starbury for the draft pick (Thabeet or a point prospect). Greg Monroe is good but a duplicate talent on this team. We need a shot blocker and a playmaker (although Nate is starting to be a better assist man and is trying to cut back on the turnovers).

It is not possible for us to get the 4th pick with a strong finish. The way the lottery works it is either you are a top 3 team or you finish according to your record. But, I would rather us in the lottery so we have a shot (even a small shot) to get a top 3 pick.

I know you may like Wilcox but this cat won't be a Knick past this season even if he averages 20 and 10 to finish the season.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
if Larry Hughes doesn't work out, bench him no loss. We gave up Timmy, and thats it. so I don't see chemistry affecting this. Our current squad has a good flow to their game. No selfish players.. I can see this team being a 50 win team in say 2 seasons with the added chemistry

and Jerome James don't forget that he was a huge loss, literally lmao

..naw but on the serious side, everyone knows this is just a pit stop for Hughes theres no way he resigns with us, and he could be traded next year at the deadline since his contract will be up.

all we need is a superstar( like a B.Roy, hopefully we draft one) and a defensive C. our role players are set in Lee, and Nate( will be resigned) and Chandler, hopefully Gallo too

johnstarky

Rotation player
I just knew that Denver was going to lose to the Bucks.Now that I think about it, I wouldn't want to watch the Knicks get swept by Boston or Cleveland in the first round of the playoffs.Remember 2004 when the Knicks finally made the playoffs after 3 years but got swept by Jason Kidd and the Nets? If they make it this year,it's not like they're as good of a team as the 8th seeded Knicks of 10 years ago.Even if they surpassed Milwaukee and finished the season at the 8th seed, it wouldn't be exciting at all to watch them lose.I'd rather watch them in the playoffs as a contender with a chance to win it all than to watch them as a team that happened to make it there, just for the sake of watching playoff basketball at the Garden.