Knicks can't sign 2 max contracts in 2010

found this on another board
There is so much speculation out there that I thought I would post the facts about where NY stands as far as the 2010 salary cap goes. Before we start, there are a few things to understand...

1. I am assuming a salary cap of $58.8 million. Right now the cap is $58.6 million and David Stern said that number will go down for 2009. Assuming a regular bump up for 2010, which actually may not happen, we will probably get it up to $58.8 million. There is a chance that the number will be slightly higher but an even bigger chance that the number will be lower.

2. I am assuming NY's 2009 first round pick is in the 9-13 range. That is where I get my salary cap number for that player.

With that being said, here we go...

1. Right now NY has $25,638,384 in cap-space taken up for 2010. That counts these 5 players...

1. Danilo Gallinari
2. Eddy Curry
3. Jared Jeffries
4. Wilson Chandler
5. 2009 1st round pick

2. Since my 2010 salary cap number is $58.8 million, a max contract for 2010 will start at 30% of the salary cap, which is $17,640,000.

3. So after New York signs 1 max-contract free agent, the Knicks will be at a cap number of $43,646,404.

4. This is where it gets a little bit complicated. In the NBA you must have 12 roster spots filled. Since New York is so far below the roster spot minimum, they will be assigned a phantom player cap-hit for every roster spot that is open. A phantom player cap-hit is the rookie min which is $473,604. Right now, under my current scenario, New York has 6 players signed on the roster....the previous 5 and the 1 max-contract signing. So in order for New York to have the most money available to sign a 2nd max-contract free agent, the Knicks will have to sign 5 players to the phantom player salary. This raises the cap number to $45,646,404.

5. So New York now has 11 players signed, 1 below league minimum. New York will then have $13,153,596 available to sign their last free agent. That number is still a little bit over $4 million less than the max.

So what does this all mean? Well the bottom line is that unless New York can move Eddy Curry, it is pretty unlikely that New York will be able to sign 2 true max-contract free agents come 2010. Even if they move JJ I don't think they will have enough money because I do not see the Knicks filling almost half of their roster with minimum salary rookies.

If you have any questions on the cap, just let me know and I can try to answer.
A little hard to understand at first but i got it after 2 times through. Remember this is all without the signings of nate and lee. What this says is without signing nate and lee, they cant sign 2 superstars. So resign them both for 2010 and beyond!!!!!:peace:

JayJ44

Starter
The idea of getting 2 superstars is nice to think about, but it's unrealistic. But, we could get them in a sign and trade, if the team felt like the player was going to leave and they wanted to get something back. Otherwise, we should be happy if we get one superstar and a good lower level star that would take less money. Who knows if 2 superstars would work anyway?

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
As long as we get a James, i don't think we necessarily need a Wade or especially a Bosh, if it means no other good players...I wouldn't mind seeing a high end, but not max player, idk who, maybe like tyson chandler or gasol type status, idk...anyway, people need to get off the dlee robinson train...yea they both 'true' knicks, got the heart of ny, but they aren't championship quality players, at least right now, and unless we get LbJ, they're just not going to cut it in this league..i'd rather keep em both and sign LbJ and get a few non max good players...idk who would be open though.....tbh idk if Dlee or Nate will be around any way though, Donnie isn't like blind to trading either one of them, if the right deal comes, or they ask for too much money, i think either can be gone..

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
exactly when you have something dont get greedy, put it this way:

you go to Atlantic City, and you want to win( our 2010 plan before the season) so you go in with say $200 you win and your now at $400( NY after trading Zach and Crawford) so you get greedy ( want to sing two superstars) so you risk all you got, or go all in( Not resigning Nate and Lee in hopes of getting 2 superstars) o you end up losing everything and you leave empty handed,

unno if i explained it well enough

so in other words dont risk losing Nate and Lee on a plan of getting 2 superstars, when the reality is we might not get any.

moral is RESIGN Nate AND Lee

Red

TYPE-A
This information has ALREADY been documented many times over on ESPN and
other sites, and everyone knows in order to sign two max contracts we must get rid of Curry & Jeffries. That's it. Close thread.

Sorry. :cool:

Bernard_King

Benchwarmer
Listen we have the whole offseason to trade Curry or Jeffries, going to be a interesting time in New York this offseason.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Get rid of everybody and get two superstars!!! Can't stand this roster as constructed. We need to draft Griffin from Oklahoma and trade everyone else! That's how I feel with this team, I love my Knicks but I don't like it that ShowBoat Nate and Simple Lee will probably lead the charge going forward. I want a championship not an 8th spot every year.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
As long as we get a James, i don't think we necessarily need a Wade or especially a Bosh, if it means no other good players...I wouldn't mind seeing a high end, but not max player, idk who, maybe like tyson chandler or gasol type status, idk...anyway, people need to get off the dlee robinson train...yea they both 'true' knicks, got the heart of ny, but they aren't championship quality players, at least right now, and unless we get LbJ, they're just not going to cut it in this league..i'd rather keep em both and sign LbJ and get a few non max good players...idk who would be open though.....tbh idk if Dlee or Nate will be around any way though, Donnie isn't like blind to trading either one of them, if the right deal comes, or they ask for too much money, i think either can be gone..

#1. Gasol and Chandler are not the same type of player: one guy is a two time all-star, career 18 and 9, with clutch and the proven ability to lift a team like the Grizzlies into the playoffs, the other was almost just traded in exchange for nothing. Gasol has a +24 EFF rating, while Chandler has a +14. If we could land Gasol, in 2011, which is unlikely, because he currently makes 16 mill. a year and would want something in that area, he'd make a great centerpiece, whom we could surround with talent. On the other hand, Chandler is just a roleplayer.
#2. Just like Lee and Nate aren't God, neither is James. If you're talking championship level play, Lebron has disappeared, on numerous occasions, during the playoffs. The Cavs' most consistent playoff player has been their big man, Ilgauskas.
#3. Wade is the best choice for the Knicks, IMO, for 2010. He singlehandedly beat the Mavs, in '05, to bring the title to Miami, with the most Jordan-like performance I've seen since Jordan. We can follow that up with a 2011 signing of Gasol, who, since his arrival in LA, has given Kobe the help needed to lift the Lakers from one of the league's worst to the number one franchise.

Last edited:

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
yea i just threw out those two names, I have no idea who we would/should get/who'd be available, in addition to a James...but as i said, unless we get James i don't think we'd get very far keeping Dlee and Nate around..there's no one in the league i'd pick over LeBron to come here...but now that i think about it, i think it would prob be most ideal to get him, and keep Dlee and Nate, and just get a few other names, not max (unless we get rid of jefferies/curry)....Id only want that if it were James though... I just don't think Wade is that good myself...ya he's up there 25 pg or w/e, but he'll never have the presence, the ability to keep a team in a game the way James does...yea he's won a championship, James will have many many more when all is said and done...

this would be the best line up obviously (If we can get rid of curry/jefferies)

LeBron
Dlee
Nate
another max player
Chandler/Gallo

if not

LeBron
Dlee
Nate
another player (s) (not max)
Chandler/Gallo

LeFlume

All Star
How many of the FA 2010 can get a max contract? It's not that many. Knicks might be smart and sign a player to 6-7 years instead of 5 and get under the salary cap that way. It's very common in NHL and teams get under the cap by signing them to longer contracts.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
i dont see james coming to NY at all IMO, especially if the cavs keep playin well, hes really on the third best team in the league, and they got it all from good shooters to zidrunas

i wonder if wade is an FA next year or in 2010, a guard like that i think is needed more than james since we already have 2 solid SF's.....we get enough 3's from duhon, nate, harrington, etc, wade would be that extra deadly slasher near nate...

with that said if the knicks can sign a solid defense BIG guy next draft, we'd be set for a long time

dave2138

Rotation player
I agree with that..Wade or James + draft a center like Mullens. Sign Marcus Camby to midlevel exception.

Robinson
Wade/James
Chandler
Gallinari
Lee
Mullens
Camby
Jefferies
Curry
2010 2nd round pick

metrocard

Legend
**** Griffin...he doesn't make his players better.

Number 1 overall pick should be a superstar who improves the team, not his stats.

Griffin is a more rugged Beasley without the jumper.

portega1968

El Cacique
Screw the signing of two max players for 2010... if we get lucky and rid ourselves of Jeffries AND Curry by then, well hoorah hooray let's go 4 it!!!

But right now we should focus on having cap space for one max in 2010 (Dwyane Wade is my pick), plus Lee, plus Nate, plus Gallo, plus Wilson, plus a smart pick for the middle of the paint in the next draft (BJ Mullens) and the rest of the practice squad.

If Walsh tries to accomplish too much he may end up with a crazy mix of pieces that won't fit.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
i dont see james coming to NY at all IMO, especially if the cavs keep playin well, hes really on the third best team in the league, and they got it all from good shooters to zidrunas

i wonder if wade is an FA next year or in 2010, a guard like that i think is needed more than james since we already have 2 solid SF's.....we get enough 3's from duhon, nate, harrington, etc, wade would be that extra deadly slasher near nate...

with that said if the knicks can sign a solid defense BIG guy next draft, we'd be set for a long time

I agree and I have been saying this all along. I truly believe LaBron will stay with Cleveland. I hope the Knicks don't go after Wade or Kobe either!! The 2 guys I would love the Knicks to go after are:
Chris Bosh and Joe Johnson
I think that is a more realistic approach. If we can sign James, then go for it bit if we can't Joe Johnson is the guy I would want!!

dre48ny

Rotation player
Sign Lee, Robinson, and LeBron. If we can't move Curry or Jefferies we wait for 2011 and resign another superstar!! Dont sleep on the class of 2011!!!!!