James and Wade are not likely 2010 acquisitions

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
*I posted this on the Knicks-Heat game thread, but I decided it should get its own. Feel free to debate the possibility of one, or both of, these guys coming here. We can also just get someone else. Personally, I prefer a big man. Gasol, I think, will be available.

Dwyane Wade has said that he wants to play his whole career in Miami. He has also said that New York does not seem like a possibility, here's a link to the article where he says it, not too long ago. Lebron has also said he hasn't said he wants to play in New York, or leave Cleveland, where he's grown up, and here's an article where he says that.

http://www.scoresreport.com/tag/dwyane-wade-knicks/

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28953994/

Personally, I'd prefer we build the team up, little by little, this time with a little more intelligence: sign some young, hungry talent, a couple of veteran bigs, who can serve as a strong foundation to what we want to do, a couple of good backcourt guys. Signing big names is not what worked for us, back when we drafted Ewing. It's all about having a good big man, in this league. If we get D-Wade, we still won't have that, and we'd simply become a mediocre team, instead of a horrible one.

Case in point, the Lakers. Prior to the Lakers obtaining Gasol, Kobe was even talking about getting traded out of LA, the team was floundering, missing the playoffs once and getting bumped a couple of other times. Enter Gasol, and they're all of a sudden a juggernaut, rolling over most of their opponents. What's the difference in their lineup, other than the addition of a great big like Gasol? Nothing. Gasol, though not a great shot blocker, is competent and works hard to alter shots, he's also great in the post and facing the basket. He's given Kobe the help he needs.

If we don't want the same thing that happened to Marbury to happen to another talented guard (if we can get one), though if we get James or Wade, we will at least get into the playoffs, we better get some support for him. Marbury could have done better, during his time in the NBA, but he always played for crap teams, who gave him very little support. Even Crawford has had that problem. As can be seen from the Allan Houston era, a good guard cannot help you win, if he has no help. <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________

Kiyaman

Legend
We have to get our own Super-Star Player and stop begging for the next team super-star...

It's PATHETIC!!!

dave2138

Rotation player
The way I see it, we are trying to build like the 98-05 Kings..all is needed is a star player to build around - what Chris Webber was to the kings. If Wade/James becomes unlikely, I see no reason not to give Bosh or Stoudemire a max contract.

You make it seem like there is no talent on this team..Robinson, Lee, Chandler, Gallinari is a great supporting cast and will only get better by the time 2010 comes along. Throw in the #9 - #13 pick in the 09 draft and there is your solid core.

+ with 18 mil of expiring contracts with Curry + Jefferies I'm sure they will try and make good value of that and bring in either a veteran overpaid pg or a veteran C.

Things aren't as bad here as a lot of people seem to think. Whoever it is James/Wade/Bosh/Stat will have to turn down more money and a more desirable place to play in. I can't see all 4 turning that down.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
What's the matter guys? I thought we didn't need a 2010 plan. Isn't Gallinari DESTINED to be the next Dirk Nowitzki? lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni have sold this team out for the sake of a 2010 plan. The Knicks could have made the playoffs this year, had it not been for the Marbury buyout, Gallinari drafting, and the Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford trades.

The Knicks better get Dwyane Wade or Lebron James, or the plan will have failed.

I'm waiting for Lebron and Wade, like those people who were waiting for Y2K. :lol:

quiggle

Starter
the only reason the marquee free agents would consider coming to New York 2010 is if the market will bring them to the next level of stardom. understand their main priority it not to come here to play for you fans and help the organization win you a championship but it has to be a what's-it-for-me mentality as well.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
the only reason the marquee free agents would consider coming to New York 2010 is if the market will bring them to the next level of stardom. understand their main priority it not to come here to play for you fans and help the organization win you a championship but it has to be a what's-it-for-me mentality as well.

It just makes me upset that the Knicks are only 3 games out of the 8th spot, and the Knicks most likely would have been in the 8th spot right now, had they drafted the Shot blocking Brook Lopez, and had a backcourt of Duhon and Starbury, instead of Duhon and Quentin Richardson, and most recently Duhon and Larry Hughes. Everyone is so concerned with winning a championship, but in order to win a championship, you have to first get playoff experience. This year would have been a great year for Chandler, Robinson, and Lee to have gotten playoff experience.

Paul1355

All Star
Most likely going to happen

Bosh will probably be signed with us come 2010....we can give Lee a sign and trade and hopefully pick up a shot blocking Center by then.

Bosh and a shotblocker in the front court....trade Lee eventually for a good SG to put with Duhon.

Or just keep Lee and sign Bosh...the way Donnie is making trades lately, it seems possible for us to keep Lee and still have enough for an all star in 2010.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
There are lots more guys, than just Bosh, Stoudamire, Wade and Lebron. I know Gasol's available, and a lot of things can happen, between now and two playoff runs. I look at how he pulled a supporting cast of Battier, Miller, and Chucky Atkins into the playoffs, with 50 wins, and how his acquisition boosted the Lakers, from a perrenial 8th seed, and I really think he could be a good guy for us to pair with a great backcourt guy, if we can get one. I think, if we had offered Memphis anything they wanted, we would have been doing well. Too bad Isiah wouldn't offer Lee, Jamal, or Eddy, when he was flashed.

There are a few good possibilities: here's a link to a list of possible 2010 FA's:

http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2010/

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
There are lots more guys, than just Bosh, Stoudamire, Wade and Lebron. I know Gasol's available, and a lot of things can happen, between now and two playoff runs. I look at how he pulled a supporting cast of Battier, Miller, and Chucky Atkins into the playoffs, with 50 wins, and how his acquisition boosted the Lakers, from a perrenial 8th seed, and I really think he could be a good guy for us to pair with a great backcourt guy, if we can get one. I think, if we had offered Memphis anything they wanted, we would have been doing well. Too bad Isiah wouldn't offer Lee, Jamal, or Eddy, when he was flashed.

There are a few good possibilities: here's a link to a list of possible 2010 FA's:

http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2010/

A Lot of terrific role players, and borderline superstar players stick out in my mind when i saw that list, such as Tayshaun Prince, Caron Butler, Sam Dalembert, etc etc. If we do get only one superstar we could get one of those guys.

Wait, isn't Ray Allen supposed to be on that list?

JayJ44

Starter
I don't think Pau Gasol is available in 2010. At least according to hoopsworld and espn:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9168

Plus, I don't see him leaving the Lakers. Assuming nothing major happens with them between now and then.

There's a lot of other options though. If not Wade, Lebron, Bosh, or Stoudemire. There's also Joe Johnson, Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobli. Another interesting option is Yao Ming. Doesn't seem to be working out in Houston, maybe he would come here. I was never a huge fan of his, but you can't teach height.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Yeah, Jay, these sites have some screwed up info. Before seeing this info. on a real GM site, I could have sworn that Gasol is under contract through 2011, but I thought I might have been mistaken. I guess I was not.

I'm not a big Yao fan, but I wouldn't be against it. Joe Johnson, I'm a big fan of. However, I'd have to see us get a good big, too. For me, it's all about big men. I'm not a big Stoudamire or Bosh fan, though.

JayJ44

Starter
I like Amare and Bosh's offensive ability, but both need work defensively. Of the 2, I think Bosh is the better defender. In the olympics he played very well defensively.

smokes

Huge Member
Wade is the least likely, I pointed this out a few weeks back in my rant thread and no one paid any attention to it since they were too busy bashing my rant (understandable).

Lebron is just up in the air really, it's about 50/50 as far as I see it. Sure the Cavs are doing great this season, but I'm not convinced they have enough to make it through the playoffs, we'll know soon enough.

But yeah, there's a load of FA's in 2010 we could take advantage of. Joe Johnson is one of my favourites, a real solid SG who can do just about everything on offense and defense. He won't be too old by 2010 either. Manu will be going past his prime at that stage so I would be reticent about taking him on as our "superstar".

Any good 2010 FA combined with a solid bigman is our obvious target, the FA pool is rife with talent and we will almost certainly capitalize on that, the problem is where we get our big man. If we don't get a good draft pick we're going to struggle, plus most people seem to be of the opinion we're looking at getting a replacement for Duhon. We don't have a 2010 first rounder, and the value of quality defensive bigs in this league is so high that our chances of landing one are slim. We just have to hope.

TunerAddict

Starter
I don't really care. I'm more toward cutting cap and just signing solid guys to fill in while we build as a team.

I don't want a superstar. I want a team.

Knicks teams that won championships, they weren't just one superstar with role players, they were teams. Complete teams that worked in unison, that passed the ball.

That is what I want. A team. Screw LeBron, screw Wade, screw them all. They are just men. What we need is a group of guys that equal something greater than just the sum of their parts.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
sorry i don't have time to wait / hope for Danilo or Chandler to be the stars of this team, or other plays that aren't even in the league and 'built from scratch'....i don't think we should do what issah did and spend all are money on a bum semi star like marbury, but we NEED an all star...hopefully James... Lee / Robinson/ Danilo / Chandler will NOT be a championship line up themselves. accept it...we need a big player or two