We need a Big Man more than anything!

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Thabeet

All work and not play make Thabeet a dull boy.

Sincerely,
The Caretaker

Red

TYPE-A

Sincerely,
The Caretaker

We're gonna need lots of luck and major tanking for that. A top 5 pick is better than we had last year. But I vow...if there is a quality big on the board that we pass over I might have to stop being a knick fan- I'm not sure how much more I can take.

Red

TYPE-A
Protecting the house
It's been a major issue all season long for the Knicks and amazing that it hasn't been exploited by opposing teams more than it has. In the loss to the Nets on Sunday, there was a point in the game -- let's call it the entire second quarter -- where Jersey seemed to score at will on drives, dunks and layups.

Nine of the Nets' 12 field goals in the quarter were either on drives, dunks or layups and, in fact, all nine came in succession betwen a drive by Devin Harrish with 8:51 left in the quarter to make it a 36-32 Knicks lead until an alley-oop layup by Harris with 1:15 left to make it a 49-48 Knicks lead. Harrish, who finished with 35 points, actually had five of the nine baskets.

The Knicks keyed a little more on stopping Harris' dribble penetration in the second half by using more of the quicker Nate Robinson against him. But while the Nets were busy swatting eight blocked shots as a team (pogo stick Sean Williams had four), the Knicks, who were without 6-10 Jared Jeffries (sore knee) for a third straight game, had zero presence in the paint.

Jeffries also gives them some better options on defense because he can usually defend opposing point guards and switch off to the bigs in pick-and-roll situations. Without him, and without a shot-blocker in the paint to deter intruders, the Knicks tend to drop off on the perimeter and try to give up low percentage jump shots.

"The way they play defense, they try to bait you into shooting jump shots and you don't want to settle, especially on the pick and rolls, the switches and the mismatches," Harris said. "We wanted to be aggressive and try to get points in the paint, get to the foul line so we could slow down their break on one end and try to make them play a halfcourt game."

The Hawks did this through most of Wednesday's game, but then, as Harris said, fell for the bait and suddenly turned more and more to the easy jumper, which failed to drop with the same frequency. The 76ers were another team recently that just continually got right into the heart of the Knicks defense with dribble penetration. Andre Miller knew he could get there any time he wanted to . . . and did.

It's no secret the Knicks will be in the market for a veteran presence in the paint to address their interior defense issues and there will be some interesting options to consider this offseason. Both Marcus Camby and Rasheed Wallace are two possible candidates, along with Mikki Moore, that the Knicks could target, depending on whom would be willing to come for a reasonable price.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
This is what I meant.

Athletically he doesn't stand out, he is actually not even average athleticism in college. He doesn't have the speed/strength to get his own shot off.

Redick comparison in that regard is dead on.

lol i compared him to reddick a long time ago, im not convinced he'll be a great player like some ppl say

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
If we do pick up a big man in the off-season it should be someone young. Camby and rasheed are too old. Drafting a big man would be the best choice.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Greg Monroe......dude will help us out alot

he could pass out the post with excellence, he has a developing offensive game (he's good in the post and improving his range)

his defense is good, he blocks shots

and his rebounding is better then advertised

having him at C will make us that much better.

Red

TYPE-A
Who's it gonna be?

I should say 75% chance we don't acquire a big man via draft, FA or trade this off-season. It's sad.

Top ranked bigs?:

College...
Griffin
Monroe
Hill
Thabeet
Blair

NBA FA...
Boozer
Varejao
O'Neal

RFA...
Lee
Millsap
Villanueva

Wallace

Other notables:: Channing Frye, Blazers; Kings; Sean May, Bobcats; Glen Davis, Celtics.

Last edited:

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Hoopsworld has us picking Thabeet at #10 :smokin:
Monroe is #8, going to Indiana.

In Round 2 we're projected to take Terrence Williams out of louisville

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i would like that, Thabeet and Williams we could be looking at this lineup

Duhon

Williams

Chandler

Lee

Thabeet

* hopefully Williams can become a go-to-guy, i feel he could become a good player in the league he has the tools now his ceiling isn't that high but he can become a good player. like a Iggy mold.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul

Duhon

Williams

Chandler

Lee

Thabeet

* hopefully Williams can become a go-to-guy, i feel he could become a good player in the league he has the tools now his ceiling isn't that high but he can become a good player. like a B.Roy mold.

Williams would be nice, he can be a major role playing guard. I believe he also plays a point forward role in college, he is a projected swingman though.

I'd alternate starting Wilcox and Thabeet if hes resigned and we do get Thabeet.

Red

TYPE-A

Duhon

Williams

Chandler

Lee

Thabeet

* hopefully Williams can become a go-to-guy, i feel he could become a good player in the league he has the tools now his ceiling isn't that high but he can become a good player. like a Iggy mold.

Please...

No more Duhon in the starting line up!

Nash OR Sessions OR Rookie?? / Duhon

Hughes / N8

Gallo:crossfingers:??? / Chandler

Harrington / Sign & Trade Lee

Rookie?? / Wilcox

Rid us of Curry-Q-Jeffries PLEASE!!!!!!!

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
well i put duhon based on the fact that we dont have a PG loll, i dont like having him start anymore than you do.

Red

TYPE-A
Beating a dead horse...

Defense rank: Pts (28), Reb (29), Asst (21), Fg% (28) AWFUL! Now I know there aren't a plethora of quality bigs out there (draft or fa's). And I know we signed a few to fill our roster in the D league and hope to get Curry back into shape (good luck w/ that). Also I realize the lack of talent in the draft dictates most teams take the best player available (BPA). Here's my [reiterated] point: If the Knicks don't do everything humanly possible to fill this GLARING NEED we will continue to avg. 32 wins for the 6th straight year. We Do need guards. And a slashing guard who can either facilitate the offense or get to the hole is a must. But without the ability to play sound fundamental, consistant Defense will make such a move null & void. A Big man is oh' so important and adding a guard with that is perfect, but to put the guard before the big will lead to the following: More interior abuse, inconsistancy, less time and patients for our youth to develope and most of all MORE FRUSTRATION AND LOOSING (like some of you posters). I get it... choosing either Curry, Derozen, Holiday or Lawson is the consensus as they will probably be the BPA. But we are at a point where all of us, Walsh and Knick mangmt. Need to stress acquiring a Big as our next major move Over Anyone we could possibly draft at #8!!!! No more which pg or sg we should take, that is just ignorance and denial at it's purist! Who cares who we will select to prob. be a back up next season when we need a Starting Big Man. Why debate who's secondary? Look at our rankings above. Will Any rookie guard impact those numbers? Aren't most our issues exacerbated by no big man and Lee possibly being to expensive for his talent or lack there of. I know the flashy shooters are nice and featured on sportscenter but its the Bigs that get it done. Have we not figured this out yet? All those blown leads we had, the swiss cheese/matador was in full effect, while we got shooter after shooter. Gallo, Harrington then N8 exploded etc... and what happened? Cont'd.....

Red

TYPE-A
Cont'd... We got shatted on! Where's the pressure from the fan base for a big instead of a rookie guard? Why aren't the experts screaming get NY some interior players? Why are we wasting our time/energy courting 180lbs. sophmores? Have you seen the stats? Like Kyiman said Dantoni inherited Amare, Johnson, and Marion. Why are we supporting SSOL when we clearly don't have the same talent. Why isn't defense our #1,2 & 3 Priority? Without Lee guess who's our leader by default? Duhon no, Harrington no, N8 (doesnt even know where he will be) no, it's Chandler and Lee and David is in limbo. So now we have Sg/Sf Chandler and who? Can't say Gallo or anyone else. So why aren't we discussing a defensive leader? I know we need a floor general (pg) but a rookie without a quality core in place especially for support. What's our defensive or team identity? We can win and outscore any one as long as they miss shots and we don't get too tired from running ourselves into the ground? I guess to sum it up. stressing Off. & SSOL was a mistake, compounded by the overating of small players and neglect of what wins.... DEFENSE

Kiyaman

Legend
Well well well....it was a good thing to get rid of Isiah Thomas b/c he showed no strong leader qualities as a President, so as a headcoach the coaching-staff and players took to him as a joke.

However, Isiah's replacement as Knick President and at the Headcoaching helm is a Bigger JOKE.
Especially with the 6th draft pick of ice cream Gallo, and this 2010 Plan of lowering the salary cap by trading for short term crappier players than Isiah players to tank two straight seasons.
I'm hoping assistant manager Allan Houston dont let Walsh & Dantoni make this team worse than worse.

The Knicks needing a couple of Bigmen is nothing new when Isiah traded all the Laydens bigmen (Mutombo, Mcdess, Kurt Thomas, Weatherspoon) for guards rather than trade for young bigmen.
And then Isiah tried to make up for his foolish lost of Bigmen by signing FA C-Jerome James and FA C-Eddy Curry to long term contracts.

What Isiah did do great for this Knick team was drafting two Combo-Guards in Nate & Collins, two SF in Balkman & Chandler, and two PF in Frye & Lee.
All six drafted players are hard hustling winning back-up players to have on your bench as great assets b/c they challenge each other in practice to play at the NBA level...

Kiyaman

Legend
The Detroit Championship Bigman rotation used C-Okur and PF ???, for 20 mpg along with Ben and Rasheed during there regular and postseason Championship. Letting C-Okur and PF-??? go to the next team the Detroit Pistons did'nt have any chance at repeating for a Championship the next season, especially when Isiah gave the Spurs C/F-Nazr for Malik Rose and the Spurs first round draft pick (Lee).

The Knicks have to trade for two proven veteran Bigmen this offseason plus resign Lee & Wilcox.
I'm sorry Walsh-Fans, but Walsh have to trade ending contract players Hughes, Q.Rich, or Harrington, with Jefferies to get us a two decent Bigmen.
Duhon & Nate need a better 6.5 SG than Larry Hughes next season b/c Hughes is in a world by himself on the court.

With this 8th pick we have to draft a BIG-Guard "SG" to mix it up with Wilson Chandler on offense & defense to get a 41 win season.

Red

TYPE-A
If you support the idea of getting any of these guards i.e. Curry, Jennings, Lawson like "its what the knicks need" over a big than what are you saying? For instance say a rookie comes in and is a star in the making and puts up N8's numbers 17pts 5assts what will happen w/o a big. Wouldn't the results from last yr be the same? Out with 1 in with another? So why are we hyped again for players we could use but don't need? What -it will be a step in the right direction? So let's ignore our real needs? C'mon either trade the pick or speak on what big fa's the knicks are looking to acquire but don't gas us w/ the guards being the answer to our problems. I could easily see a rookie guard adding to our problems as helping.