Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We need a Big Man more than anything!

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

i would like that, Thabeet and Williams we could be looking at this lineup

Duhon

Williams

Chandler

Lee

Thabeet

* hopefully Williams can become a go-to-guy, i feel he could become a good player in the league he has the tools now his ceiling isn't that high but he can become a good player. like a Iggy mold.

Originally Posted by DaTPRiNCE

Duhon

Williams

Chandler

Lee

Thabeet

* hopefully Williams can become a go-to-guy, i feel he could become a good player in the league he has the tools now his ceiling isn't that high but he can become a good player. like a B.Roy mold.
    Williams would be nice, he can be a major role playing guard. I believe he also plays a point forward role in college, he is a projected swingman though.

I'd alternate starting Wilcox and Thabeet if hes resigned and we do get Thabeet.

Originally Posted by DaTPRiNCE

Duhon

Williams

Chandler

Lee

Thabeet

* hopefully Williams can become a go-to-guy, i feel he could become a good player in the league he has the tools now his ceiling isn't that high but he can become a good player. like a Iggy mold.
    Please...

No more Duhon in the starting line up!

Nash OR Sessions OR Rookie?? / Duhon

Hughes / N8

Gallo??? / Chandler

Harrington / Sign & Trade Lee

Rookie?? / Wilcox

Rid us of Curry-Q-Jeffries PLEASE!!!!!!!

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

well i put duhon based on the fact that we dont have a PG loll, i dont like having him start anymore than you do.

Default Beating a dead horse...

Defense rank: Pts (28), Reb (29), Asst (21), Fg% (28) AWFUL! Now I know there aren't a plethora of quality bigs out there (draft or fa's). And I know we signed a few to fill our roster in the D league and hope to get Curry back into shape (good luck w/ that). Also I realize the lack of talent in the draft dictates most teams take the best player available (BPA). Here's my [reiterated] point: If the Knicks don't do everything humanly possible to fill this GLARING NEED we will continue to avg. 32 wins for the 6th straight year. We Do need guards. And a slashing guard who can either facilitate the offense or get to the hole is a must. But without the ability to play sound fundamental, consistant Defense will make such a move null & void. A Big man is oh' so important and adding a guard with that is perfect, but to put the guard before the big will lead to the following: More interior abuse, inconsistancy, less time and patients for our youth to develope and most of all MORE FRUSTRATION AND LOOSING (like some of you posters). I get it... choosing either Curry, Derozen, Holiday or Lawson is the consensus as they will probably be the BPA. But we are at a point where all of us, Walsh and Knick mangmt. Need to stress acquiring a Big as our next major move Over Anyone we could possibly draft at #8!!!! No more which pg or sg we should take, that is just ignorance and denial at it's purist! Who cares who we will select to prob. be a back up next season when we need a Starting Big Man. Why debate who's secondary? Look at our rankings above. Will Any rookie guard impact those numbers? Aren't most our issues exacerbated by no big man and Lee possibly being to expensive for his talent or lack there of. I know the flashy shooters are nice and featured on sportscenter but its the Bigs that get it done. Have we not figured this out yet? All those blown leads we had, the swiss cheese/matador was in full effect, while we got shooter after shooter. Gallo, Harrington then N8 exploded etc... and what happened? Cont'd.....

Cont'd... We got shatted on! Where's the pressure from the fan base for a big instead of a rookie guard? Why aren't the experts screaming get NY some interior players? Why are we wasting our time/energy courting 180lbs. sophmores? Have you seen the stats? Like Kyiman said Dantoni inherited Amare, Johnson, and Marion. Why are we supporting SSOL when we clearly don't have the same talent. Why isn't defense our #1,2 & 3 Priority? Without Lee guess who's our leader by default? Duhon no, Harrington no, N8 (doesnt even know where he will be) no, it's Chandler and Lee and David is in limbo. So now we have Sg/Sf Chandler and who? Can't say Gallo or anyone else. So why aren't we discussing a defensive leader? I know we need a floor general (pg) but a rookie without a quality core in place especially for support. What's our defensive or team identity? We can win and outscore any one as long as they miss shots and we don't get too tired from running ourselves into the ground? I guess to sum it up. stressing Off. & SSOL was a mistake, compounded by the overating of small players and neglect of what wins.... DEFENSE

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Well well well....it was a good thing to get rid of Isiah Thomas b/c he showed no strong leader qualities as a President, so as a headcoach the coaching-staff and players took to him as a joke.

However, Isiah's replacement as Knick President and at the Headcoaching helm is a Bigger JOKE.
    Especially with the 6th draft pick of ice cream Gallo, and this 2010 Plan of lowering the salary cap by trading for short term crappier players than Isiah players to tank two straight seasons.
    I'm hoping assistant manager Allan Houston dont let Walsh & Dantoni make this team worse than worse.

The Knicks needing a couple of Bigmen is nothing new when Isiah traded all the Laydens bigmen (Mutombo, Mcdess, Kurt Thomas, Weatherspoon) for guards rather than trade for young bigmen.
    And then Isiah tried to make up for his foolish lost of Bigmen by signing FA C-Jerome James and FA C-Eddy Curry to long term contracts.

What Isiah did do great for this Knick team was drafting two Combo-Guards in Nate & Collins, two SF in Balkman & Chandler, and two PF in Frye & Lee.
    All six drafted players are hard hustling winning back-up players to have on your bench as great assets b/c they challenge each other in practice to play at the NBA level...

Veteran

Nyk Logo

The Detroit Championship Bigman rotation used C-Okur and PF ???, for 20 mpg along with Ben and Rasheed during there regular and postseason Championship. Letting C-Okur and PF-??? go to the next team the Detroit Pistons did'nt have any chance at repeating for a Championship the next season, especially when Isiah gave the Spurs C/F-Nazr for Malik Rose and the Spurs first round draft pick (Lee).

The Knicks have to trade for two proven veteran Bigmen this offseason plus resign Lee & Wilcox.
    I'm sorry Walsh-Fans, but Walsh have to trade ending contract players Hughes, Q.Rich, or Harrington, with Jefferies to get us a two decent Bigmen.
    Duhon & Nate need a better 6.5 SG than Larry Hughes next season b/c Hughes is in a world by himself on the court.

With this 8th pick we have to draft a BIG-Guard "SG" to mix it up with Wilson Chandler on offense & defense to get a 41 win season.

mullens should be the second pick if there is one.he's got upside.

If you support the idea of getting any of these guards i.e. Curry, Jennings, Lawson like "its what the knicks need" over a big than what are you saying? For instance say a rookie comes in and is a star in the making and puts up N8's numbers 17pts 5assts what will happen w/o a big. Wouldn't the results from last yr be the same? Out with 1 in with another? So why are we hyped again for players we could use but don't need? What -it will be a step in the right direction? So let's ignore our real needs? C'mon either trade the pick or speak on what big fa's the knicks are looking to acquire but don't gas us w/ the guards being the answer to our problems. I could easily see a rookie guard adding to our problems as helping.

Default No Bigs in the No-D'antoni Dee

if only we drafted Brooke Lopez instead of No-D'Antoni's godson... hindsight is 20/20..

seems every playoff team has a couple of bigs on the floor at any given time:
    LA: Gasol/Bynum/Odum
    Denver: Nene/Martin/Anderson
    Cleveland: Ilgaukus/Varejao/JoeSmith
    Orlando: Howard + no one else needed (tho Martian Gortat is not bad)

However, in the 7 second or less, offense is first and foremost, and No-D'antoni has been missing the basic formula for success from Day 1: defense wins championships. He's lucky he had Amare Stoudamire in Phoenix. Without Amare, Phoenix lost...

How do you even formulate a team without a center is beyond reason... making David Lee the center? If only DLee played his true F position next to a true C... will we see that transpire? and now we're in a position to lose DLee because we can't afford him come Plan 2010?

This Knicks organization is bordering on lame by not committing to having at least a couple of bigs. Jerome James was not the answer by any means, and Eddy Curry will never block more than 10 shots a season...

We should go after Sean Williams and proven shot-blockers as our number one priority... glad Red brought this thread back to life...

Ty Lawson, Brandon Jennings, Tyreke Evans, Ricky Rubio, Johnny Flynn, and Stephan Curry are leaps and bounds above Nate Robinson and Chris Duhon. If either Kiya or Red could dispense some knowledge on us and let us know who this magical bigman sitting at the 8th spot to be drafted is i'd love to hear it. Because frankly unless Hill (not sold on) or Thabeet slide to the 8th spot there are no bigs worth drafting at the 8th spot. Also Kiya Terrance Williams is nowhere near 8th pick talent. If we traded down to somewhere around 18-24 maybe i could understand your reasoning but if not there is absolutely no reason to even consider Terrance Williams at the 8th spot. I have no problem wtih taking a guard with size at the 8th spot. I would gladly consider Gerald Henderson or Jeff Teague at 8 but for my money i'd rather roll the dice on one of the talented point gaurds in the draft.

The plan is the 2010 plan not the 2009 plan. WE obviously won't be able to obtain everything this offseason because we don't have the cap space. But if we can land a point guard of the future (Duhon is gone after 2009 and Nate is gone as of now) I'm sold on the idea. We can address our point guard and swing positions this season by drafting a young point guard and further devolping Chandler and Gallinari. Then during the season where the expiring contracts of Hughes, Duhon, Richardson, and Harrington become extremely valuable to other teams that have fallen out of the race we can land a PF/C of the future. Once Toronto realizes they have no chance of resigning Chris Bosh they'll be looking to obtain expiring contracts and the Knicks have that.

I completely understand that we need big men, but there simply aren't any quality bigs available. In all honesty there are only 3 PF's that are free agents. Boozer and Milisap aren't typical PF's and Rasheed is too old and is looking to join a contender.

The 2010 plan in my view is in motion and i have no doubts in what Donnie Walsh has done thus far. I also have no doubts Gallinari will be very nice player for years to come. We basically will be adding two lottery picks to a team that despite the record last year wasn't all that awful.

2009 Offseason

1st Draft pick
    Gallinari (we will call last year a wash since he rarely played)
    Resigning of Lee (unless we somehow pull a miracle and get a big man)
    Eddy Curry (I'm sure it won't happen but if he was in shape hes an asset)
    MLE (not sure who but we will pick up somebody using the mid level exception. It would most likely be a veteran big man.)

Out
    Robinson (unless we get a bigman and in that case Lee is gone)
    Wilcox

Get real: If we are planning on trading our expiring contracts (which is almost guarenteed) i.e. Harry, Hughes, Q, or Mobley etc... then why aren't we considering a package w/ our pick and either moving up to get a rookie C (magically) or acquiring a seasoned quality big? Look at it like this: we only have but so many assets (expirings & #8) plus our 2010 plan includes signing 2 max contracts which means we will be selling (trading) why would we wait and take a chance that someone will... 1. want these scrubs 2. Not try and LOWBALL us 3. get injured and become untradeable 4. lower their value bt. now and then ???? Plus to attract smart "superstars" we have to put a quality product on the court and change negative perception by attempting to make the playoffs. As of now we are the laughing stock and anyone we attract will just be looking to get paid and not think seriously about winning! That's our pedigree. So in response it doesn't have to be a rookie but it HAS to be a big man or bust! And if not can you picture next season what will happen when we want (and can afford a star) BUT we settle for someone else b/c we didn't address the "compliments" when we had the chance like drafting Shaved Vertibre Gallo instead of the perfect role player in Lopez. I'm going out on a limb but I bet if we did get Brook he would of been Better than Lee, less expensive and would of allowed us to trade Lee for a true pg before he expired! These moves scream inefficient use of assets and money... sound familiar?

Originally Posted by Red
    Get real: If we are planning on trading our expiring contracts (which is almost guarenteed) i.e. Harry, Hughes, Q, or Mobley etc... then why aren't we considering a package w/ our pick and either moving up to get a rookie C (magically) or acquiring a seasoned quality big? Look at it like this: we only have but so many assets (expirings & #8) plus our 2010 plan includes signing 2 max contracts which means we will be selling (trading) why would we wait and take a chance that someone will... 1. want these scrubs 2. Not try and LOWBALL us 3. get injured and become untradeable 4. lower their value bt. now and then ???? Plus to attract smart "superstars" we have to put a quality product on the court and change negative perception by attempting to make the playoffs. As of now we are the laughing stock and anyone we attract will just be looking to get paid and not think seriously about winning! That's our pedigree. So in response it doesn't have to be a rookie but it HAS to be a big man or bust! And if not can you picture next season what will happen when we want (and can afford a star) BUT we settle for someone else b/c we didn't address the "compliments" when we had the chance like drafting Shaved Vertibre Gallo instead of the perfect role player in Lopez. I'm going out on a limb but I bet if we did get Brook he would of been Better than Lee, less expensive and would of allowed us to trade Lee for a true pg before he expired! These moves scream inefficient use of assets and money... sound familiar?
    Then like i said... Give me a viable Trade option... Who are these big men that we can optain right now? Even if everyone of those "so called" scrubs gets hurt and doesn't play a single game this upcoming season they still come off the books. There are plenty of big men on the Market in 2010. Plenty of big name big men and plenty of role playing big men. We don't need to obtain anything right this second. I'm going to break the news to everybody WE ARE NOT GOING TO WIN THE TITLE NEXT SEASON. At best we will have a early playoff exit. The goal is to build a team that not only contends for one season but has a 5 year window where we can win a championship.

I'm all for adding a big man but you have yet to give me anything concrete evidence that there is a quality bigmen for us to get. If you want to trade the 8th pick and Lee for Chris Bosh i'm all for it. If you want to trade the 8th pick and other stuff for Amare i'm all for it. But you have to show me that these players are actually on the trade market before you come out with this rant that has no factual background.

I'm sure the Knicks would love to have a big man but right now there is none out there. (Sean Williams is nothing). Also Galllinari will be a better career pro then Brooke Lopez

Not sure why people have given up on the idea of Tyson Chandler, after watching the Hornets get dominated in the post season I'm sure they will be looking to re-shuffle this offseason.

Not a hard guy to match up contracts with and a really solid defensive big if healthy.