The Incredible Mismanagement Of Stephon Marbury

Because I can't think of a player that has been more destructive to the franchise and how much better the Knicks would have been if Mebury/Isiah had never come to New York.
Nohting starbury did in his years here was destructive to the franchise. Nothing. As much as you'd like to believe it, its not true. Sorry, get over it.

TunerAddict

Starter
I am using that to prove a point....

Bulls fans still cheered for Jordan as a Wizard

Packer fans still cheer for Favre as a Jet

Heck, Hoosier fans still cheered on Bobby Knight as a Texas Tech coach

Let's face it the Knicks were bad over the last 8 years or so ....

Marbury was 1 of the few good things around here

It is a TERRIBLE comparison.

Jordan won the bulls 6 rings.

Favre won a SuperBowl and numerous league MVPs, bringing a downtrodden Packer team into a perenial contender.

Bobby Knight won a national championship and built one of the premier college teams of this half of the century.

Stephon was an above average player on a bad team that never went anywhere or accomplished anything.

How the **** can you justify comparing those greats, all hall of famers in their respective sports/careers, to Steph? Not even remotely close.

richtree

Rotation player
Nohting starbury did in his years here was destructive to the franchise. Nothing. As much as you'd like to believe it, its not true. Sorry, get over it.

.thank you

He is different because he is one of the greatest PSAL players of all time...

Lew Alcindor was obvisouly the best but Marbury was one of the best, if not the best in last 20 years

richtree

Rotation player
And, if David Lee was traded before the deadline, you wouldn't be rooting for him either / right ?

LJ4ptplay

Starter

Are you serious? Nothing? The franchise is still recovering from him abandoning the team last year. Sorry, get over your love affair for Mebury. No other player in franchise history has caused as many problems as Mebury.

But honestly, who really cares anymore? He's a Celtic. And his legacy as a Knick will go down as one of the worst. Hands down. Only to a few, small groups of fans (that have an odd homosexual love for the guy) will he be remebered as good for the Knicks. He has done more harm to this franchise than any other player, and that's a fact.

richtree

Rotation player
Here's a quick look --

Marbury haters proves the media corrupts the average stupid sports fan. Marbury got to the Knicks in 2003-2004 when they were 12-22. Knicks record was 21-19 after Marbury's arrival and they made the playoffs. The Suns went down the toilet after Marbury left. They got better the following year, because they made Joe Johnson a feature player, signed Nash, and Amare played an entire season. The Nets traded Marbury and got Kidd in return the following year- as well as Kittles back after 2 years on the DL, drafted Jefferson and Collins, got back Van Horn and Kmart from injuries. Stupid Knick fans think it was the Marbury trade that made the Nets better..lmfao. KG post-Marbury got no further than rd 1 in the playoffs for 3 years until Cassell and Spree got there. After they leave, KG DOESN'T EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS! Marbury has not played for the Knicks since December of 2007. What's the Knick record since that time? In the last 5 years, the Knicks are playing .300 ball when Marbury doesn't play....

an old quote showing Marbury's worth -- ^^^^

richtree

Rotation player
Only to a few, small groups of fans (that have an odd homosexual love for the guy) will he be remebered as good for the Knicks. He has done more harm to this franchise than any other player, and that's a fact.[/quote]

Name what harm he is done to the Knicks -- ?

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
I don't care how many points he put up or what his stats were, he brought us nothing and his large salary weighed us down further then he ever came close to bringing us anywhere worth a damn. yes it's Issiah's fault too, but the two have kept this team at a standstill for far too long and wasted numerous years when we could have been doing exactly what were doing now. Marbury's a bum, and a celtic.

Are you serious? Nothing? The franchise is still recovering from him abandoning the team last year. Sorry, get over your love affair for Mebury. No other player in franchise history has caused as many problems as Mebury.

But honestly, who really cares anymore? He's a Celtic. And his legacy as a Knick will go down as one of the worst. Hands down. Only to a few, small groups of fans (that have an odd homosexual love for the guy) will he be remebered as good for the Knicks. He has done more harm to this franchise than any other player, and that's a fact.
No, that would be your oppinion, if you can even call it that. Opinions need to be backed up by facts.

Marbury left because he was being benched for Mardy Collins. Everything was cleared up when he came back, and that was that.

You keep saying he's done harm to the franchise. No details. Just a myth you'd like to believe.

Stephon Marbury is not the bad guy. Remember, he sacrificed his season last year to get surgery, in order to be ready for the knicks this year.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Name what harm he is done to the Knicks -- ?

Reread my post. Abandoning the team because he didn't want to be benched and then blackmailing his coach. That act alone sent the entire franchise spiralling down to the laughing stock it has become. Only now, because both Isiah and Mebury are gone, is the franchise becoming somewhat respectable.

You should be celebrating the fact that the worst Knick in franchise history is finally gone. Not bitching and moaning about media bias. Which is a load of crap. I've given many examples, many times of multiple players publically calling out Mebury and claiming he is the worst teammate they've ever had. That's not media bias. That's fact.

richtree

Rotation player
Abandoning the team because he didn't want to be benched and then blackmailing his coach.

Never abandoned team...explain this

I've given many examples, many times of multiple players publically calling out Mebury and claiming he is the worst teammate they've ever had.

1. 90% of the Knicks Steph played with are losers that think they are good..
Q-Rich is a loser/ J. Craw = Loser/ Z.Rand = Loser / Curry = Loser

This is where a bunch of losers need someone to blame -- Because Steph didn't join their little crew of not working out and being lazy he is a bad teammate?

2. KG wants to play with Marbury KG = Winner

KBlack25

Starter
I am using that to prove a point....

Bulls fans still cheered for Jordan as a Wizard

Wrong, my old roomate, a Bulls fan, felt betrayed the Jordan tarnished his legacy by going to the Wizards..

Packer fans still cheer for Favre as a Jet.

Wrong, my aunt is a shareholder in the Packers and she hates how Brett Favre held the franchise hostage. I know of many Packer fans celebrated his collapse.

Heck, Hoosier fans still cheered on Bobby Knight as a Texas Tech coach

Wrong, many Hoosier fans hate Knight for the way he ran his team, the guy was basically run out of town for abusing kids.

And even still, you are comparing Stephon Marbury to Jordan (6 time champ), Brett Favre (super bowl champ and 3 time LEAGUE MVP) and Bob Knight (one of the winningest College Coaches of all time).

Idiotic comparisons...

Please stop posting and save yourself some embarassment.

KBlack25

Starter
No, that would be your oppinion, if you can even call it that. Opinions need to be backed up by facts.

Marbury left because he was being benched for Mardy Collins. Everything was cleared up when he came back, and that was that.

You keep saying he's done harm to the franchise. No details. Just a myth you'd like to believe.

Stephon Marbury is not the bad guy. Remember, he sacrificed his season last year to get surgery, in order to be ready for the knicks this year.

The harm he's done:

Feuding with Larry Brown
Feuding with Isiah Thomas
Feuding with Mike D'Antoni
Feuding with his teammates
Leaving the team high and dry
Refusing to take a cheaper buyout and held his team hostage for the $20 million
Refusing to play when the Knicks were short handed
Asking to speak with other teams before training camp started this year

Do you want more?

The harm he's done:

Feuding with Larry Brown

Do you want more?
Larry Brown had it coming to him when he made those comments about Marbury.

Isiah Thomas has an unusual personality to say the least. He could have easily avioided the arguments by being rational-as could Brown.

Stephon Marbury never fueded with Mike D'antoni. D'antoni never had any intentions of putting him in a basketball game this year-and never let Marbury know. Marbury never had a problem with Mike D'antoni.

Marbury, as a knick, has had no confrontations with any teammates, in fact just the opposite. David Lee, Nate Robinson, and other knicks have all said in the past he s a good guy and good teammate.

Why would he give money back to the knicks? His contract says he will recieve $20.8 million. The team promised him that money, then they want to take it from him?

Marbury could not play in those games if he wanted to. He had a empty locker.

Toons

is the Bo$$
are the new york knicks responsible for the media as well?
metro, when a player is off our roster, we as kicks dont discuss them anymore.
as a crawford supporter while he was here, i backed dude up....when he left, my siggy changed with him. If marbury torches the knicks, you all will still have his signature up, supporting the ass. wack ass niggas, cant stand this site now with the stanbury shit.

richtree

Rotation player
The harm he's done:

Feuding with Larry Brown
He was right -- Brown brought in Steve Francis for no reason except to try to make himself look like he wasn't to blame (which he was)

Anyone who wants to say Isiah was right or not to blame, go right ahead trying to win that one

Steph came into the season willing to compete, come of the bench, and had no problems - Mikey D did the wrong thing here and when Mikey D abonded Steph after leading him on by playing him all pre-season, Steph simply said, "I respect that they don't want me here, so I will leave."

Who, when? -- Q-rich is a punk, he can't ball always hurt and if his contract wasn't so big and long he would be battling for 5mins a game on any team.

His Dad died and was injured last season -- and was taking all the blame for the Knicks and never but the blame on the horrible teammates he was paired with

He did take a cheaper buyout & how was he holding team hostage ?
He wanted to play and they told him we don't want you here. If they would have told him this before the season, he probably would have left for less.

He never refused -- didn't have a uniform at some games, and most importantly Knicks released him before it went to players union hearing because they knew they were in the wrong

Who, when ? He wanted to play for the Knicks and played for the Knicks in the pre-season. The man came in great shape after injury and was ready for a season with the new coach -- then the coach says no (either because Dolan told him too, or because he was too weak to handle the situation himself)

Lastly, don't tell me about your Aunt, Mailmen, and Turtule and how they are fans of the Bulls, Packers, and IU

richtree

Rotation player
are the new york knicks responsible for the media as well?
metro, when a player is off our roster, we as kicks dont discuss them anymore.
as a crawford supporter while he was here, i backed dude up....when he left, my siggy changed with him. If marbury torches the knicks, you all will still have his signature up, supporting the ass. wack ass niggas, cant stand this site now with the stanbury shit.

Firstly, what does your "Sig" have to do with anything ?

I have Charles Oakley in mine...Is that wrong because he played for the Raptors after ?

Secondly, did you only back Crawford because he was a Knick ?

You should back someone because you know what is right and wrong.

Crawford sucked before he was here, during when he was here, and after he is gone....

Your bad right from the start

KBlack25

Starter
The harm he's done:

Feuding with Larry Brown
He was right -- Brown brought in Steve Francis for no reason except to try to make himself look like he wasn't to blame (which he was)

Brown and Marbury feuded before that, when Marbury refused to play in the system Brown had installed.

Anyone who wants to say Isiah was right or not to blame, go right ahead trying to win that one

I didn't say Isiah was right, but you asked what detriment he caused, and the fact that he couldn't get along with his coach caused detriment to the team. He threatened the head coach of the team in the media, that's a distraction and a problem for the team.

Steph came into the season willing to compete, come of the bench, and had no problems - Mikey D did the wrong thing here and when Mikey D abonded Steph after leading him on by playing him all pre-season, Steph simply said, "I respect that they don't want me here, so I will leave."

He certainly had a problem when he wasn't put on the court. It was evidenced when he said that he basically did not want to play for Mike D'Antoni. I'll quote you Marbury lovers when I say "Would you want to play for a guy that benched you?" Marbury had a problem.

Who, when? -- Q-rich is a punk, he can't ball always hurt and if his contract wasn't so big and long he would be battling for 5mins a game on any team.

Whether or not Q-Rich is a punk is immaterial. He feuded with him, Malik Rose, Tim Thomas, Jamal Crawford. Regardless of what you think of these players, he feuded with all of them which caused a detriment to the team.

His Dad died and was injured last season -- and was taking all the blame for the Knicks and never but the blame on the horrible teammates he was paired with

I feel sympathy for his dad, but he left the team abrubtly in the middle of a road trip. It's irresponsible as a "leader" and a detriment to the team to do that.

He did take a cheaper buyout & how was he holding team hostage ?
He wanted to play and they told him we don't want you here. If they would have told him this before the season, he probably would have left for less.

No, he said BEFORE THE SEASON that he was going to collect the $20 mil due to him. Any normal player would have an agent and negotiate a buyout, especially if he worked so hard in the offseason. Marbury was willing to give a million back or take the entire $20 knowing he would sit on the bench. He refused to participate in discussions that had him earning less than $19 million.

He never refused -- didn't have a uniform at some games, and most importantly Knicks released him before it went to players union hearing because they knew they were in the wrong

He was asked to play, he said he didn't want to. He refused.

Who, when ? He wanted to play for the Knicks and played for the Knicks in the pre-season. The man came in great shape after injury and was ready for a season with the new coach -- then the coach says no (either because Dolan told him too, or because he was too weak to handle the situation himself)

Sources are coming out now from people not named Mike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh that Steph asked to talk to the Celtics before training camp began. Read something.

Lastly, don't tell me about your Aunt, Mailmen, and Turtule and how they are fans of the Bulls, Packers, and IU

Don't make inherently false statements of which you have no proof or anecdotes. I just showed how what you said was wrong, and you obviously have no proof if you just don't want to hear it. Fact is a lot of Packer fans booed Favre, a lot of Bulls fans booed Jordan and a lot of IU fans booed Knight. Your statement is false, I showed it to be false, you just shut your ears like a 2-year-old brat.

You got ethered, you are wack, you are wrong....deal with it.

Here's another detriment Marbury brought:

After being asked to leave, he bought a courtside ticket to the Knicks game. Obviously he wanted to make a scene and be a distraction, which is exactly what he was. Even when he wasn't dressing, he was a distraction and a problem for this team.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
The harm he's done:

1 Feuding with Larry Brown
2 Feuding with Isiah Thomas
3 Feuding with Mike D'Antoni
4 Feuding with his teammates
5 Leaving the team high and dry
6 Refusing to take a cheaper buyout and held his team hostage for the $20 million
7 Refusing to play when the Knicks were short handed
8 Asking to speak with other teams before training camp started this year

Do you want more?

For numbers 1 to 3, is there any strong evidence that suggests that Marbury started the feuds? Because i see just as much evidence as for the opposite.

I dont see how you can bring up Larry Brown. Lets get the situation straight. Marbury had very little of a supporting cast that year. If you look at the 2 biggest names playing alongside of Marbury, you can see what Im talking about. Eddy Curry and Jamal Crawford.

What were the chances of the Knicks winning 30 games with that roster? Very slim, to none.

Of course Marbury would get the blame, with him being the star player but is that fair to do? Look at Paul Pierce, who struggled all those years in Boston by himself. KG couldnt do it in Minnesota by himself.

Now, onto Isiah. There are several conflicting reports as to what happened on that plane going to Phoenix, so is it fair to hold that against Marbury? Isiah destroyed that team with bad decision making...had he never chosen to bench Marbury, who knows what our situation would be now.

Last, Mike D'antoni. Im suprised a poster like you would even bring this up. It couldnt be more clear that D'antoni held a grudge against Marbury from the Phoenix days.

#4 The only teammate to recently speak about Marbury was Q-Rich. David Lee summed up what I have been saying for a while...

"I never had an issue with Steph. From my experiences, I think a lot of things were blown out of proportion . . . In our minds, we've sort of moved on. Not in a bad way or a good way, but just the issue is dead."

#5 Like i said, theres several conflicting stories about what happened in Phoenix when Marbury "left the team." Its unfair to make an opinion on this.

#6 And why should he? Marbury is one of the most charitable athletes in all of sports, more money made = more money to donate

And also, look at the way the whole team betrayed him. After Mike D told Q-Rich that Marbury wasnt gonna play in the opening game of the season, Richardson told the rest of the team. Everyone on that team knew Marbury wasnt going to play....except Marbury. Thats betrayal in the purest form brother. Marbury sat there on the bench waiting for his number to be called in front of the home crowd...and as we know, that never happened. Must have been very embarrassing, think of all his friends and family members that were watching.

#7 So Mike D'antoni says the Knicks are moving in a different direction without Marbury, that the team has "moved on." And lets not forget what i just said in number six about how the whole team betrayed him. So then crawford and z-bo get traded, and they need Marbury to play. They asked him to play, but he says his jersey wasnt even in his locker. Mike D'antoni and Donnie Walsh never denied that.

#8 I dont blame him to asking to speak with other teams, he had been told that he might get bought out. What do you expect any player to do when they're told they might get bought out?