Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 60 of 60

Thread: Melo a Knick?

  1. #46
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by LeFlume
    Joe Johnson is great but he is too old 2010. Knicks need to go after younger players so we can keep them for a number of years. Like San Antonio, keep the team intact and don't do too many changes that can mess up the on court chemistry.
    Joe Johnson will be too old - if you're interested in a ten year run - much like that of Kobe. However, if you're looking for a guy that can give you 3-4 good years - Joe Johnson is not a bad player to go with.

    Either way, we have to pick someone up. Right now, we're just not very competitive.

  2. #47
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    we are competing, we just dont have the tools to win games. Mike D seems like he is shuffling the cards allot with line ups, and what not, I think hes still holding try outs for who will be here next year and the year after. It seems like he coaches as if he is giving players a look, and if he likes what he sees hell leave you out, then hell shift some one else into the spot light for a while. RIght now I think hes really giving gallinari a good look, you might see wilcox starting tomorrow, who knows. if any one really expected us to be that good with out a center, one pf and like 10 sg/sf's your crazy.

  3. #48
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I don't know what Frank Isola is thinking with this one. Carmelo is a bum and I wouldn't want him in NY.

    Thoughts?
    This is ironic, I had mentioned a few months ago in a previous post when talking about waiting to get LaBron that I felt the Knicks would go after Carmelo. To tell you the truth, I like Melo more in Mike D's system than LaBron. I know I will get nailed on this, but before you tell me that I am crazy; go back a watch the games from the Olympics. Both Kobe and LaBron struggled more than not. It was Melo who was dominating the games. Look at where the NBA is going, how they are restructuring the game to be more offensive.... LaBron and Kobe are the best when it come to man on man D, the have the ability to dominate anyone who defends them; for the most part. Both LaBron and Kobe did not play college ball so they seem to have trouble when teams play trapping defenses; like they do in college and European leagues. I think the Knicks are doing the right thing by being patient and waiting to clear cap space. I think not making moves until you are able to get the person you want is smart. That being said, I do not think they should go after Amare OR LaBron. I think the Knicks should go after Bosh, but if they can't get him they should hold out and go after Dwight Howard. Yes, it is one more year but that is the guy!! I also like Carmelo and/or Joe Johnson. I like Carmelo because he can read trap defenses as well as beat his man when playing against man to man D. Yes, technically he is a notch down from LaBron, but where Melo falls short to LaBron is the Super Star category he still his a Star and someone who has already shown that he can be the leader on a team of leaders; like he did at the Olympics. He exceled in the run and gun and was able to play team D. Dwight did struggle as well, but Dwight is the athletic Center piece that Mike D would froth at the mouth to get. I say be patient and make the play for Dwight; forget about Amare!! Like I said earlier, I like Bosh and if we could get him... Get him but that's it. Trade for Melo (I agree with the article that trading for him is do-able), wait the extra year and go after Dwight!!

  4. #49
    Veteran LeFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    3,662
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Dwight Howard would be a dream but I can't imagine that Orlando would give him up. They gave up Shaq once. Big mistake, They won't do it again. Howard isn't going anywhere.

  5. #50
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,688
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicker23
    Because i think he cares almost as much about being the first billionaire athlete then he does about winning that championship, which he knows it's only a matter of time before he does...he comes to NY he'll prob. immediately have the same chance of winning that championship...after all, cavs have that chance because of him...he likely won't have the opportunity again to play in such an environment/venue as NY, where he'll become even more of sa superstar not just because it's NY, but because it's the Knicks and he'll have the chance to show his greatness again by turning this franchise around...in addition to the likeliness that he'll have another semi or all star next to him (better then Mo), that will make it much easier to win that championship....LeBron is going to win a championship, it's only a matter of time, I don't think he's too worried about that..coming to NY will just make it that much more bigger when he does...after all, look at their loss against Boston last night (with out Garnett), there by no means the best team in the league.. I think there's a good chance he comes to the Big Apple
    I think this is a good argument but it's based on speculation. James wont be a legend because he has a 200 million dollar contract, he'll be a legend by winning multiple titles and right now I don't see that being something he will accomplish in NY. His best title shot is right where he is in Cleavland.

    Should something catastrophic occur and the Cavs get wiped out in the first or second round, then I'd see a move to NY or anywhere as a greater possibility. Right now fans are banking on media hype and speculation.

    Originally Posted by chandlerlee4
    I'm not too sure about AI at the point... Do you think D'Antoni could rlly turn him into a distributor??
    Good question. A.I. is far from the traditional point guard but he averages 6.7 assists per game and can score anywhere or time he wants. In reality this trade probably wont happen (just my suggestion), but I think it could work. In this scenario Wade and James are out of reach and we go to very next best things which are Bosh and Joe Johnson. But this clearly isn't enough to be a title contender so what's missing? Another guy that can torch your opponent at any given time and that's A.I. As A.I. ages and slows down he will still be able to make passes and drive inside n dish the ball out to make some aggressive plays.

    Although I don't see king James coming to NY it can't be off of the table, which makes signing Iverson that much more difficult. Still, we need a back up plan. What do the Knicks do if they don't get James or Wade?

  6. #51
    Member chandlerlee4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by donchris
    Good question. A.I. is far from the traditional point guard but he averages 6.7 assists per game and can score anywhere or time he wants. In reality this trade probably wont happen (just my suggestion), but I think it could work. In this scenario Wade and James are out of reach and we go to very next best things which are Bosh and Joe Johnson. But this clearly isn't enough to be a title contender so what's missing? Another guy that can torch your opponent at any given time and that's A.I. As A.I. ages and slows down he will still be able to make passes and drive inside n dish the ball out to make some aggressive plays.

    Although I don't see king James coming to NY it can't be off of the table, which makes signing Iverson that much more difficult. Still, we need a back up plan. What do the Knicks do if they don't get James or Wade?
    yeah its a good idea, I was asking because I'm a big A.I. fan and him coming to the Knicks would be a dream come true lol. I think the only way he can win a championship now is if he tried to become a pass first point guard (very difficult) or a scorer off the bench.

  7. #52
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    How would Carmelo help our defense and ball movement?

    Always seem to contradict ourselves.

    Then again, Carmelo would be a huge upgrade over Harrington...but I wouldn't build the team around him unless we have a bunch of guys who move the ball efficiency for a high FG% and low TO rate.

    We don't have that yet, sorry.

  8. #53
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    How would Carmelo help our defense and ball movement?

    Always seem to contradict ourselves.

    Then again, Carmelo would be a huge upgrade over Harrington...but I wouldn't build the team around him unless we have a bunch of guys who move the ball efficiency for a high FG% and low TO rate.

    We don't have that yet, sorry.
    Carmelo is a decent defender. I wouldn't put him on the all defensive team but he doesn't just let his man waltz by him either. I truly do not believe LaBron is coming here, or leaving Cleveland at all! Just like Kobe is not leaving LA either so the dream about getting one of the 2 top super stars in the NBA is just that.... a dream!! I think Carmelo is an option if played right by Walsh. I think we could get him and I would want him! Why wouldn't you?? He is a top 10 player in the league right now and he would excel in Mike D's system.

    For the people that think Dwight in not a possibility; no one stays in Orlando!! If history has taught us anything it has shown that every player eventually leaves! Why wouldn't Dwight want to pay in NY or LA??? If the Knicks start building this team properly, then Howard might want to come knowing he would be the final piece to a team that could end up dominating the NBA for many years. Dwight, Carmelo and maybe even Bosh if the Knicks go about it correctly?!?!?! If Wilson Chandler keeps developing the way he is; especially on D, and Hughes get's back to the form that he was just a little over a year ago??? Nate off the bench?? Maybe even Lee if they can keep him and not go over the cap for future signings.... They draft properly over the next few seasons and you have a team that could roll over anyone... You think Boston dominated this year and last..... It would be nothing like the Knicks would be if they went in that direction!!!

  9. #54
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I don't know...trouble always seems to follow Carmelo...and he's the type of player who could become really one dimensional as he gets older(potential injury that can set him back)

    The safe bet is bid for Ricky Rubio and build through the draft...if these Superstars was to extend their contracts in 09...then **** them....lets just build with what we good. Have cap space is still a positive because we will sign someone good...just stay positive and enjoy this decent rebuilding process that has some hope.

  10. #55
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,053
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    I am sooooooo tired of guys playing out of position. STOP TRYING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL YOU STUPID MF'S. Forwards running the point, Guards/Forwards manning the paint, Centers/PF shooting 3's!!!! Enough already!!!! If a player cannot excel at his "NATURAL" position then stop playing him!! No more point forwards (what do we have a pg for?), motherf*ckin power guards and point centers!!!! D'Antoni, this is why you can't decide a line-up, because you can't make up your mind as to what position does a player play. If a guy cannot get it done at both ends of the court, stop the innovative sh*t and find someone else. This goes back like 10 years now w/ D'Antoni and others...it's ridiculous. Either play your natural position or get the f*ck out.
    Thats real talk right there!!!

  11. #56
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    I don't know...trouble always seems to follow Carmelo...and he's the type of player who could become really one dimensional as he gets older(potential injury that can set him back)

    The safe bet is bid for Ricky Rubio and build through the draft...if these Superstars was to extend their contracts in 09...then **** them....lets just build with what we good. Have cap space is still a positive because we will sign someone good...just stay positive and enjoy this decent rebuilding process that has some hope.
    Agreed. We should consider trading up in the draft this year (if Rubio is in this year's draft). Our 1st (9th pick?) and 2nd rounder, plus a player (Chandler?) to get the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft would be worth it if we get Rubio.

    F*** Lebron and Bosh/Wade/Amare if they don't come here. We can still build a very good team that can compete for a championship without them (especially if we draft Rubio). Plus, we can probably get 2 good players for the price that Lebron/Wade will be asking for. If we can trade Curry for an expiring, we can get many good players 2010.

    I wouldn't mind a 2010 lineup like this:

    PG-Rubio
    SG-Raja Bell
    SF-Gallo
    PF-Nowitski
    C-Tyson Chandler

  12. #57
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    I am sooooooo tired of guys playing out of position. STOP TRYING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL YOU STUPID MF'S. Forwards running the point, Guards/Forwards manning the paint, Centers/PF shooting 3's!!!! Enough already!!!! If a player cannot excel at his "NATURAL" position then stop playing him!! No more point forwards (what do we have a pg for?), motherf*ckin power guards and point centers!!!! D'Antoni, this is why you can't decide a line-up, because you can't make up your mind as to what position does a player play. If a guy cannot get it done at both ends of the court, stop the innovative sh*t and find someone else. This goes back like 10 years now w/ D'Antoni and others...it's ridiculous. Either play your natural position or get the f*ck out.
    It is ridiculous to criticize Mike D for changing his lineup when both Brown and Isiah did the same thing!!
    The problem the Knicks have right now is that they do not have a pure center (neither Lee or Wilcox is a center) and they are struggling to find consistency at the 3 spot. Neither QR or Chandler has stepped up to solidify the position. All you get from these guys is 1 or 2 games where they excel and then they look lost. Chandler has an excuse, he is young and still learning so his play is exactly what is to be expected from a player with his experience. But QR is another story and he has shown that he is now and will forever be a bench player and not a starter.

  13. #58
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Agreed. We should consider trading up in the draft this year (if Rubio is in this year's draft). Our 1st (9th pick?) and 2nd rounder, plus a player (Chandler?) to get the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft would be worth it if we get Rubio.

    F*** Lebron and Bosh/Wade/Amare if they don't come here. We can still build a very good team that can compete for a championship without them (especially if we draft Rubio). Plus, we can probably get 2 good players for the price that Lebron/Wade will be asking for. If we can trade Curry for an expiring, we can get many good players 2010.

    I wouldn't mind a 2010 lineup like this:

    PG-Rubio
    SG-Raja Bell
    SF-Gallo
    PF-Nowitski
    C-Tyson Chandler
    I'm not sure why Walsh didn't go after Chandler instead of Wilcox. I was surprised and the only thing I could come up with is Chandler's contract would go against the cap in the 2010 free agency market. I am a fan of Raja Bell but if Huges can get his NBA legs back, we have that type of player in Huges.
    I'm so/so on Nowitski. If Gallinari continues his development and can bulk up a little more, we would have that type of player.
    If you can get Rubio fine but I think everyone is givening up on Duhan a little to early here. He has been playing more minutes than he has ever in his career and I think he is hitting a wall; I think his body is not used to it. We saw what he can do and this off season conditioning will be huge! I think Duhon can be a decent PG in this league.

  14. #59
    Lurker AZ_Knicks_FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    look were probly gonna get lebron in 2010 and things will get alot better

    personally I cant stand melo and think that he wouldnt work in dantonis system

  15. #60
    Member Dirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    trade cury for expiring contarct? trade cury is like if someone say put **** of you in food blender and swich it on is not gona happen you are not gona do this

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jan 10, 2011, 07:59
  2. Dirk is fix knick
    By Dirk in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jan 05, 2009, 09:45
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Dec 17, 2007, 09:01
  4. More likely to be in a Knick Uniforom on Opeining Night
    By Isiah's Advocate 33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug 24, 2007, 17:12
  5. Knick Concerns
    By mrj18 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan 04, 2005, 14:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •