New York Knicks @ New Jersey Nets Game Thread 3-10-09

the portable man

Benchwarmer
It is obvious that Walsh told D'antoni to tank the season right after dream week.The real purpose behind the acquisitions of Hughes and Wilcox was to get rid of salary cap space right away and not be stuck with the problem of having to get rid of both Jerome James and Eddy Curry this summer or during the middle of next season.

YA THINK? just cuz we got hughes doesnt mean we have to play him...thats no excuse

11 pts in 35 minutes...im 100% positive gallo wouldve contributed a lot more with that amount of time

the portable man

Benchwarmer
Hughes sucks ass. He's terrible. He never passes the ball and he has a low b-ball IQ.

Q-Rich should be getting zero playing time. He can't shoot for shit, can't play defense anymore, and makes stupid decisions. Like trying to get a rebound and letting the ball go out of bounds.

There's really no chance of making the playoffs anymore. We should start Gallo and just play the young guys.

ive been sayin this for a month and nobody's tryna hear it

funny thing is if gallo starts along with robinson @ pg we still might make the playoffs, but if danphoni plays the same starters we'll be struggling to win every time....i mean who cares if we blew out the grizzlies lmao
:barf:

i just dont get it tho, considering these MUCH OLDER guys are pro staff coaches, how can they not see the problem with giving hughes, chandler, and duhon too much time? but really i only got a problem with hughes

he reminds me a lot of AI in terms of bball IQ, taking contested shots and gambling WAY too much in passing lanes, well at least AI wasnt sloppy with his dribble...this guy will make a 3 once in a blue moon and danphoni keeps him in for the whole game cuz of it....truly sickening shit

johnstarky

Rotation player
YA THINK? just cuz we got hughes doesnt mean we have to play him...thats no excuse

11 pts in 35 minutes...im 100% positive gallo wouldve contributed a lot more with that amount of time

D'antoni wouldn't want Gallo to make the Knicks anymore competitive so he makes us believe that the reason behind him not playing a lot of minutes is his undevelopement as an NBA player.

johnstarky

Rotation player
ive been sayin this for a month and nobody's tryna hear it

funny thing is if gallo starts along with robinson @ pg we still might make the playoffs, but if danphoni plays the same starters we'll be struggling to win every time....i mean who cares if we blew out the grizzlies lmao
:barf:

i just dont get it tho, considering these MUCH OLDER guys are pro staff coaches, how can they not see the problem with giving hughes, chandler, and duhon too much time? but really i only got a problem with hughes

he reminds me a lot of AI in terms of bball IQ, taking contested shots and gambling WAY too much in passing lanes, well at least AI wasnt sloppy with his dribble...this guy will make a 3 once in a blue moon and danphoni keeps him in for the whole game cuz of it....truly sickening shit

Coach D'antoni likes to play his favorites.The guy would probably play Boris Diaw over Dwight Howard.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
D'antoni wouldn't want Gallo to make the Knicks anymore competitive so he makes us believe that the reason behind him not playing a lot of minutes is his undevelopement as an NBA player.

u mean hes purposely playing the worse players to get a high draft pick? i hope thats the case cuz a coach with a great playbook and a clueless rotation formation doesnt make sense to me

paris401

Starter
just watched a bit of the game... zepole can def shoot, but scoring 15 or 20, and giving up 20 or 25, wont win many games... he plays little "D", but i guess thats a good fit for the knicks as no one else plays "D" either..

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
The Knicks stink, but it would have made a difference to have played Harrington and Nate in the 4th. I really don't know why they got so few minutes: perhaps bad coaching rotations.

As for Gallo - he can shoot threes, if left open, but he needs to develop the rest of his game and become a defensive force - if he plans on being a top player.

Brook, and the rest of the Nets front line, really exposed us. Once again, our lack of a solid front line becomes painfully obvious.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
just watched a bit of the game... zepole can def shoot, but scoring 15 or 20, and giving up 20 or 25, wont win many games... he plays little "D", but i guess thats a good fit for the knicks as no one else plays "D" either..

Forever calling him zepole, huh paris? Yea I agree, has little defense. But that's to be expected with his snail-like quickness. Building up his muscles would improve that as well as improving the Big Cock's strength when he takes it to the hole. The Cock's stroke would also be deadlier when he shoots it in the defenders face. -no homo-

Kiyaman

Legend
Nate and Harrington should have been put back in the game with six minutes left in the game.....the season inwhich we had we owe the WIN or LOSS to these Knick Players: PG-Duhon, SG-Nate, SF-Chandler, PF-AL, and C-Lee as our crunchtime finishers....these 5-players earned to be Knick finishers for the rest of this season.

TunerAddict

Starter
I was at the game. One thing stuck out the most out of everything. Gallo.

Every time he is on the court, he is calling out mismatches, pointing to guys and calling switches defensively. He is a leader. A rookie leader. Plus he played a fantastic game tonight.

CoolClyde

PG-Duhon, SG-Nate, SF-Chandler, PF-AL, and C-Lee as our crunchtime finishers....these 5-players earned to be Knick finishers for the rest of this season.

agreed. i'd like to see this lineup start as well.

more time for Gallo, less for P-Hughes.

JayJ44

Starter
I think the reason D'antoni decided not to play Nate and Harrington, is that they never move the ball. Both of them tend to chuck up shots and try to win the game themselves, rather than staying to what works which is moving the ball around and finding the open man. The problem with that is, why was Hughes out there? He's the biggest black whole of them all.

Gallo needs to be a focal point of this offense. He's by far our best shooter, and he has the highest b-ball IQ on this roster.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Don't Push Your Luck

I think the reason D'antoni decided not to play Nate and Harrington, is that they never move the ball. Both of them tend to chuck up shots and try to win the game themselves, rather than staying to what works which is moving the ball around and finding the open man. The problem with that is, why was Hughes out there? He's the biggest black whole of them all.

Gallo needs to be a focal point of this offense. He's by far our best shooter, and he has the highest b-ball IQ on this roster.

The bottom line is that those two guys are our lead scorers. To play them 23 minutes (apiece) is ludicrous and inexcusable. Sure, they chuck up shots; but they can also hit them.

Gallinari has not proven himself to be capable of being a focal point, when his main weapon is the long range, wide open jumper. If he proves capable of hitting those type of shots, in the long run, while guarded and with consistency, he might end up being a good 3rd or 4th option on a mediocre team.

I don't think I was the only one that noticed how much we needed to have him sub out - so that Harrington and Nate could breathe some life into our team. Gallo simply cannot make things happen on his own: he's basically a guy that hangs around, waiting for open shots. He can't rebound, drive, defend, post up, or block shots; and his ball handling skills make me nervous.

metrocard

Legend
The bottom line is that those two guys are our lead scorers. To play them 23 minutes (apiece) is ludicrous and inexcusable. Sure, they chuck up shots; but they can also hit them.

Gallinari has not proven himself to be capable of being a focal point, when his main weapon is the long range, wide open jumper. If he proves capable of hitting those type of shots, in the long run, while guarded and with consistency, he might end up being a good 3rd or 4th option on a mediocre team.
I don't think I was the only one that noticed how much we needed to have him sub out - so that Harrington and Nate could breathe some life into our team. Gallo simply cannot make things happen on his own: he's basically a guy that hangs around, waiting for open shots. He can't rebound, drive, defend, post up, or block shots; and his ball handling skills make me nervous.

He'll be better.

You've been hating on Gallo since draft night...now you look pretty silly giving him a little dap.

The offense just looks more fluid with Gallo on the floor...I'll take him down the stretch over Harrington 100 times out of 100. I mean he's only shooting 48% percent, what makes you think Harrington could do better?

Gallo can rebound, drive, defend, post up and block shots. Just not at a high rate because of his back, he's came back quickly from an injury, did your brain failed to remember that?

Gallo is 6"10...how many guys at 6"10 do you know handle like Gallinari? Crossing up guys and getting to the basket with fluidity and complete flow.

As he gets more experienced, his ball handling will improve.

You act like this guy reached his peak.

Gallo has work ethic and wants to be the best he can be and be a WINNER for New York.

Euro dudes have a lot of dedication to their club which is a plus for us aftr the express of low expectation losers we've had in the last 5 years. Gallo is a fresh of bresh air and you just need to calm and breathe...because all this indirect hating is really pointless since our hopes for the playoffs are DEAD and Danilo is the only thing worth watching and an occasional Chandler or Robinson dunk.

TunerAddict

Starter

Really?

1/2 of Gallo's threes are off a screen and shot, or off a crossover or hesitation dribble with a guy on him.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
it was a depressing final 5 minutes. clyde said it best when he asked why harrington and nate wasnt there. i was really impressed with gallo, and if what tuner said is true it only makes me more confident in him. he said hes only 60% healthy so i cant wait to see him in full strength. hughes didnt play terrible like u guys are sayin, he actually was decent in every quarter but the fourth. when harris stole the ball from hughes, i cudnt believe he jsut stood there. but im hopin robinson starts over duhon or somethin, cuz im tired of seein him struggle

alphad0gz

Rookie
Nice recognition, Tuneraddict...

Unlike most of the Bball morons here, you seem to actual see what is going on and why. He has flaws but Gallo is the best player on the team. For a guy that can't drive, he goes by guys every game that are smaller and quicker. Josh Smith, VC, Iggy. For a guiy that can't board, he gets the big ones when needed. Very good defender. He can pull up. He moves the ball. He gets caught covering for other guy's defensive mistakes. If he comes in 100% healthy next year, it will be his team. Chandler will be his wing man. Mark it down.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Unlike most of the Bball morons here, you seem to actual see what is going on and why. He has flaws but Gallo is the best player on the team. For a guy that can't drive, he goes by guys every game that are smaller and quicker. Josh Smith, VC, Iggy. For a guiy that can't board, he gets the big ones when needed. Very good defender. He can pull up. He moves the ball. He gets caught covering for other guy's defensive mistakes. If he comes in 100% healthy next year, it will be his team. Chandler will be his wing man. Mark it down.

The kid's a little full of himself, demanding a New York area team; but he has potential. As a later pick - I would have been happy to have him. It's still too early, however, to start calling him the next Dirk or "even better" - something I've heard on this forum. Dirk is one of the best to ever play this game. Gallo can't do all of the things that Dirk can do: shoot, post, rebound, block.

Harrington is the best player on this team: he can score in bunches (something gallo can't do), he can create his own shot, he can drive and even post up a little. After him - it's Nate. Gallo has to play some more and establish himself as being this or that. As of now - he's unestablished and untested. Frye looked like he was going to be a big time player - something Gallinari - has never appeared to be - and he completely fell apart. Just wait a little, before naming this guy the savior.