New York Knicks @ New Jersey Nets Game Thread 3-10-09

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Harrington has played decent since coming here and it is true he can score alot of points.The problem that I have with him is that he thinks he can do it all and beat the whole team by himself and he can't hell nobody can.He gets in them zones were he won't play team ball at all and he shoots everytime he gets the ball.That bugs the hell out of me b/c they're four other TEAMATES out there thats on his side.

That brings me to Nate! Yes he can score in bunchs during a game but he also gets in that same zone that Harrington gets in and thinks he can beat the world by himself.I don't know if he got that from Harrington or he just plays like that too.I thought it was a good dicision by Dantoni to bench Harrington and Nate b/c they have gotten into a bad habit by not playing team ball.

metrocard

Legend
The kid's a little full of himself, demanding a New York area team; but he has potential. As a later pick - I would have been happy to have him. It's still too early, however, to start calling him the next Dirk or "even better" - something I've heard on this forum. Dirk is one of the best to ever play this game. Gallo can't do all of the things that Dirk can do: shoot, post, rebound, block.

Harrington is the best player on this team: he can score in bunches (something gallo can't do), he can create his own shot, he can drive and even post up a little. After him - it's Nate. Gallo has to play some more and establish himself as being this or that. As of now - he's unestablished and untested. Frye looked like he was going to be a big time player - something Gallinari - has never appeared to be - and he completely fell apart. Just wait a little, before naming this guy the savior.

Harrington is the PF version of Jamal Crawford...he isn't the best, he just gets the opportunity to shoot a high volume of shots at a low FG percentage...I rather take an efficient scorer who moves the ball better.

Harrington is too much one on one and all these dramatic ass three point shots.

You're 6"9

Keep your ass in the paint and get an easier basket.

You think in soccer dudes would prefer to take long shots over a shot in closer range?

Make the game easier for you.

Harrington isn't good at this.

Explain to me how Frye was going to look like a "big time player" when all he could do at the time was live off Marbury's pick and rolls that gave Frye his NBA career.

Now without Marbury, Frye's game completely stunk.

Frye got outrebounded every night.
One of the worst defenders on the team.
Offensively, he was one dimensional and slow footed.

I thought that dude was lame even when he was averaging 14 ppg.

TunerAddict

Starter
Harrington is the PF version of Jamal Crawford...he isn't the best, he just gets the opportunity to shoot a high volume of shots at a low FG percentage...I rather take an efficient scorer who moves the ball better.

You're 6"9

You think in soccer dudes would prefer to take long shots over a shot in closer range?

Explain to me how Frye was going to look like a "big time player" when all he could do at the time was live off Marbury's pick and rolls that gave Frye his NBA career.

Al is better than Jamal...

Harrington is shooting like 44% on the season while Crawful is like...41%

OGKnickfan

Enlightened

You're 6"9

At first, I thought Frye was just getting lucky; but as he continued - game after game - to hit these jumpers, I thought (as many others did) that he was a special player. Even if it had been his only weapon - it would have made him deadly: to be able to hit jumpers automatically - at 6'11. unfortunately - he stopped hitting them.

When he was first on the Knicks, he was averaging about 17 ppg, shooting jumpers at almost 60 percent. I should have known it was just a hot streak, but - like with Curry - the streak was so long that it fooled me.

My point - with Gallo - is that, even if he eventually ends up being a great player, he has to work on his game. Right now - he's one dimensional. Others have compared him to Dirk: one of the best (ever) - which is ludicrous.

Al - he's a good shooter, better than Craw. However - he lacks the late game heroics of a Crawford. Both guys are not going to be perfect - just like Marbury wasn't. The thing is that both need help. Players aren't going to be perfect... but that doesn't mean they're worthless. If Marbury had gotten help, just like if Craw or Harrington had gotten it, he would have been more successful in New York.

The main thing is getting a big man. I've coached and played enough ball to tell you that a guy that can get overwhelm the other team on the boards, help you on D (if you're beat), etc., makes life a million times easier for a player.

Either way - it's not a black and white issue: there are a lot of possibilities for these players - a lot of factors involved in their performance, present, past and future.

TunerAddict

Starter
At first, I thought Frye was just getting lucky; but as he continued - game after game - to hit these jumpers, I thought (as many others did) that he was a special player. Even if it had been his only weapon - it would have made him deadly: to be able to hit jumpers automatically - at 6'11. unfortunately - he stopped hitting them.

When he was first on the Knicks, he was averaging about 17 ppg, shooting jumpers at almost 60 percent. I should have known it was just a hot streak, but - like with Curry - the streak was so long that it fooled me.

My point - with Gallo - is that, even if he eventually ends up being a great player, he has to work on his game. Right now - he's one dimensional. Others have compared him to Dirk: one of the best (ever) - which is ludicrous.

Al - he's a good shooter, better than Craw. However - he lacks the late game heroics of a Crawford. Both guys are not going to be perfect - just like Marbury wasn't. The thing is that both need help. Players aren't going to be perfect... but that doesn't mean they're worthless. If Marbury had gotten help, just like if Craw or Harrington had gotten it, he would have been more successful in New York.

The main thing is getting a big man. I've coached and played enough ball to tell you that a guy that can get overwhelm the other team on the boards, help you on D (if you're beat), etc., makes life a million times easier for a player.

Either way - it's not a black and white issue: there are a lot of possibilities for these players - a lot of factors involved in their performance, present, past and future.

How the **** can you bring up Frye's height and being able to hit jumpers and then shit on Gallo? He is a big that can shoot.

Red

TYPE-A

Really?

1/2 of Gallo's threes are off a screen and shot, or off a crossover or hesitation dribble with a guy on him.

Gallo is water from outside, a pure shooter.
He is mediocre at creating his shot and tends to settle for the pull up.

He has below average ability driving and in the low post, which with size and coaching he can develop.

IMO He has what Chandler doesn't and vice versa, they compliment one another well.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
How the **** can you bring up Frye's height and being able to hit jumpers and then shit on Gallo? He is a big that can shoot.

Read the rest of the post - instead of just highlighting one section: a section that's convenient to your need to argue - and calm down. My point was simple... I had thought, in the past, that Frye was good, based on his one dimensional ability to shoot, which was much more impressive than Gallo's: he was more consistent and could execute at around 17ft., doing his damage in bunches. I learned I was WRONG - many others did, as well. I should have waited, before deciding on the guy's true skills, even though he looked so impressive, just like you guys should, when it comes to Gallo, who really hasn't been.

metrocard

Legend
Frye's one dimensionalness would of made him deadly?
Right.

Unforunately, he stopped hitting them?
Yea...its called when you're not that good to be deadly.

Gallo has a lot of work to do.

Mostly on his ball handling and agility.

He has problems like Duhon beat his man off the dribble with his lack of footspeed...but the skill and confidence is there, just not the physical attributes to do it...which can be depressing but with a good conditioning program, Gallinari can go places.

Gallo dribbles too high...guys like me and you can easily strip him off the ball in streetball, Gallo has to get LOW like Dirk...tall dudes can't dribble in the lane with the ball at a high level and expect to not get stripped. Keep it low and avoid a turnover.

Not saying Gallo is a turnover machine, but when he drives, he's very vunerable.

Gallo needs to work on his back obviosuly(you can't get at a low level with a bad back/core)

When Gallo is recovered, and if I was his strenght and conditiong coach, I would strickly focus on his core strength with squats, lunges, dead lifts, planks, bicycle crunches, plyometrics...just make it really dynamic and let it focus to strengthen his core to prevent another injury and

Give him the ability to get low when he dribble/drive to the paint...plus he can absorb contact more better....just make him a superior athlete.

I would also prescriped a shitload of agility drills to Gallinari, high intensity agility drills since he's in D'Antoni's system and needs to get to A to B in the quickest time capable.

Hopefully Gallo gets the best results.

Lopez and DJ Augustin look really good...potential all stars...

Shit, look at Anthony Randolph too...dude is already praised by Warrior fans as the franchise player...Eric Gordon who I despise is even producing at a high level.

We passed on too many talent for Gallo not to improve...but once he gets to that level, we'll have an all star in our hands...to replace Paul Pierce(3-4 years from decline/retirement) in the all star game)

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Frye's one dimensionalness would of made him deadly?
Right.

Unforunately, he stopped hitting them?
Yea...its called when you're not that good to be deadly.

Gallo has a lot of work to do.

Mostly on his ball handling and agility.

He has problems like Duhon beat his man off the dribble with his lack of footspeed...but the skill and confidence is there, just not the physical attributes to do it...which can be depressing but with a good conditioning program, Gallinari can go places.

Gallo dribbles too high...guys like me and you can easily strip him off the ball in streetball, Gallo has to get LOW like Dirk...tall dudes can't dribble in the lane with the ball at a high level and expect to not get stripped. Keep it low and avoid a turnover.

Not saying Gallo is a turnover machine, but when he drives, he's very vunerable.

Gallo needs to work on his back obviosuly(you can't get at a low level with a bad back/core)

When Gallo is recovered, and if I was his strenght and conditiong coach, I would strickly focus on his core strength with squats, lunges, dead lifts, planks, bicycle crunches, plyometrics...just make it really dynamic and let it focus to strengthen his core to prevent another injury and

Give him the ability to get low when he dribble/drive to the paint...plus he can absorb contact more better....just make him a superior athlete.

I would also prescriped a shitload of agility drills to Gallinari, high intensity agility drills since he's in D'Antoni's system and needs to get to A to B in the quickest time capable.

Hopefully Gallo gets the best results.

Lopez and DJ Augustin look really good...potential all stars...

Shit, look at Anthony Randolph too...dude is already praised by Warrior fans as the franchise player...Eric Gordon who I despise is even producing at a high level.

We passed on too many talent for Gallo not to improve...but once he gets to that level, we'll have an all star in our hands...to replace Paul Pierce(3-4 years from decline/retirement) in the all star game)

All of the exercises you mentioned would be excellent - as ways for him to build his explosiveness. As a coach - I used to have my players do those as part of a two month conditioning program, prior to the season. He has to fix that dribble - though. Because - like you said - he's trapping himself in between defenders, finding himself in bad situations. A lot of that is just bad decision making: he has to know when not to drive the ball.

A lot of it - with Gallo - is potential. It's a shame - because guys like Lopez or Gordon would have been giving us a lot more, right now.