Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Termination clause could land Steve Nash in NY?

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Default Early Termination clause could land Steve Nash in NY?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

According to the NY Post Steve Nash's contract has an early termination clause which would save Phoenix $7 million on his 2009-2010 salary. Nash would have to play for the $5.9 million mid-level exception but [speculation] is that he wants to come to New York.

I don't buy in to the Labron James hype, [but] should Nash come to NY this increases the chances of James folloing him to the Garden. If I were Kerr I'd never cut Nash, not in a million years. Good PGs are hard to come by, but Kerr is the same twit that traded for Shaq's bloated contract so I wouldn't put it past him.

Immediate plan B for the Knicks must be to get Bosh.
    Make an offer of Lee/Curry for Bosh and see what happens.

Nash/Duhon
    Hughes/Robinson
    Harrington/Chandler
    [Bosh?]Gallinari
    Wilcox (I guess)
    Last edited by donchris; Mar 14, 2009 at 11:02.

Having nash would be great. He would not only lure lebron but also all FA's to be. Finally we would have a true pass first point guard, who would increase our win total by ten wins.

maybe im alone on this but i find steve nash so overrated....he's a good offensive player but defensively he is very pathetic, i would rather us draft a PG this year

I'm not that sold on Steve Nash either. He's getting older and have back problems.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Theoretically we could get Nash for just over 5 mill. We paid Jerome James more then that just to rot on the bench and fold towels. Nash isn't the best defender but he's a hell of a floor general. That's a quality you don't really lose once acquired. Look at John Stockton, he played until he was 40. I think Nash is worth the risk.

nash is good for a quick fix. maybe a year or 2. after that we need a young guy that we could pick up in this year or next years draft.

Superstar

1 reason I think which eliminates the possibility is that Phoenix has already traded their 2010 1st round pick to Oklahoma back from the Kurt Thomas trade.

So if their plan is to rebuild by getting rid of Nash, they won't benefit from being a bad team by getting a better pick. When healthy their team is good enough to be in the same class as Dallas, Portland, Houston, Denver etc.. so they might as well go for it 1 last time in 2009/2010 and then rebuild after that when Nash, Stat, Shaq all leave.

Originally Posted by GoKnIcKsDLEE42
    nash is good for a quick fix. maybe a year or 2. after that we need a young guy that we could pick up in this year or next years draft.
    Agreed. Sign Nash, trade up in the draft (1st round pick plus players, i.e. Duhon or Chandler) and draft Ricky Rubio. I can't think of a better mentor for Rubio than Nash in D'Antoni's system. Then we will be set at the PG position for the next 12 years.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Agreed. Sign Nash, trade up in the draft (1st round pick plus players, i.e. Duhon or Chandler) and draft Ricky Rubio. I can't think of a better mentor for Rubio than Nash in D'Antoni's system. Then we will be set at the PG position for the next 12 years.
    If Rubio comes out he falls no lower than 3 from all the reports I see, so it would take more than Wilson to move that far up, probably would have to bring Nate to the table just to begin discussions. But, I do agree that would be a great plan to draft Rubio and sign Nash as his mentor, maybe Nash even becomes an assistant for us when he hangs it up.

We could trade Duhon for a player like Antonio Daniels to replace Nate in the short term.

Nash/Rubio
    Hughes/Daniels
    Wison/Danillo
    Harrington/Jefferies
    Lee/Jefferies

Good enough to get the 8th seed next year -baring some unforseen major moves in The East.

Superstar

Nah I think Rubio would be a terrible idea..The minimum I would think would be 2 future 1st round picks, + 1 of Chander/Gallinari..not worth it to me. Things are going fine the way they are. We'd have to start from scratch investing so much in an unproven player like Rubio.

I'd rather just make a smart pick at #9-15 whatever we wind up with and let that be the only significant change this off season.

I'm no basketball genius, but I say there are worse things than having Nate Robinson as your starting point guard for next 5 or so years. He may not be the most consistent player, but I think the positives outway the negatives.

I keep thinking that this team reminds me potentially of the 99-2005 Sacramento Kings without Chris Webber. The closest thing to Chris Webber that we can realisticly get is Chris Bosh. I think he would make the team jump from a 35-40 win team to a 45-50 win team.

To sum it up - no Nash for me, no trade the world for Rubio for me..Nate Robinson is good enough. Go after Chris Bosh in 2010.

Default Nate is no starting pg in this league

Well, he may start but he is not decent pg material. He is a scorer best suited for coming off the bench. No team would trade the pick that gets Rubio unless they are set at that position. He has a chance to be special AND be a big entertainer. He won't get traded.

i like the idea of getting nash for 2 reasons. 1 - hes an awesome pg. although old i think he can still lead a team night in night out. 2 - when he does get old and ****, he can become a mentor to the young guys and be a positive role model in the locker room.

He would have to sign for the MLE. If he would agree, I'm all for it. That would be the same price as Duhon, and Nash is 100x better than him. People talk about his defense, but Duhon's isn't much better.

Originally Posted by alphad0gz
    Well, he may start but he is not decent pg material. He is a scorer best suited for coming off the bench. No team would trade the pick that gets Rubio unless they are set at that position. He has a chance to be special AND be a big entertainer. He won't get traded.

The Clippers or Grizzlies would be a team willing to do so. The Knicks even with this recent run will likely miss the playoffs and end up with the 10th or 11th pick, package that pick and Nate in exchange for the pick that would land them Rubio.

No pleese no, Nash 2 old, is like Granpa; what is age of Nash 50? in 2 year leg of him will fall off he need weelchair is too old for Knick wil not be able to do the fast running of Datoni style, 3edy curry will be in beter fitness > Nash

2010 Curry > Nash