Early Termination clause could land Steve Nash in NY?

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03142009/sports/knicks/duhon_on_shelf_159521.htm

According to the NY Post Steve Nash's contract has an early termination clause which would save Phoenix $7 million on his 2009-2010 salary. Nash would have to play for the $5.9 million mid-level exception but [speculation] is that he wants to come to New York.

I don't buy in to the Labron James hype, [but] should Nash come to NY this increases the chances of James folloing him to the Garden. If I were Kerr I'd never cut Nash, not in a million years. Good PGs are hard to come by, but Kerr is the same twit that traded for Shaq's bloated contract so I wouldn't put it past him.

Immediate plan B for the Knicks must be to get Bosh.
Make an offer of Lee/Curry for Bosh and see what happens.

Nash/Duhon
Hughes/Robinson
Harrington/Chandler
[Bosh?]Gallinari
Wilcox (I guess)

Last edited:

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Having nash would be great. He would not only lure lebron but also all FA's to be. Finally we would have a true pass first point guard, who would increase our win total by ten wins.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
maybe im alone on this but i find steve nash so overrated....he's a good offensive player but defensively he is very pathetic, i would rather us draft a PG this year

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Theoretically we could get Nash for just over 5 mill. We paid Jerome James more then that just to rot on the bench and fold towels. Nash isn't the best defender but he's a hell of a floor general. That's a quality you don't really lose once acquired. Look at John Stockton, he played until he was 40. I think Nash is worth the risk.

nash is good for a quick fix. maybe a year or 2. after that we need a young guy that we could pick up in this year or next years draft.

dave2138

Rotation player
1 reason I think which eliminates the possibility is that Phoenix has already traded their 2010 1st round pick to Oklahoma back from the Kurt Thomas trade.

So if their plan is to rebuild by getting rid of Nash, they won't benefit from being a bad team by getting a better pick. When healthy their team is good enough to be in the same class as Dallas, Portland, Houston, Denver etc.. so they might as well go for it 1 last time in 2009/2010 and then rebuild after that when Nash, Stat, Shaq all leave.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
nash is good for a quick fix. maybe a year or 2. after that we need a young guy that we could pick up in this year or next years draft.

Agreed. Sign Nash, trade up in the draft (1st round pick plus players, i.e. Duhon or Chandler) and draft Ricky Rubio. I can't think of a better mentor for Rubio than Nash in D'Antoni's system. Then we will be set at the PG position for the next 12 years.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Agreed. Sign Nash, trade up in the draft (1st round pick plus players, i.e. Duhon or Chandler) and draft Ricky Rubio. I can't think of a better mentor for Rubio than Nash in D'Antoni's system. Then we will be set at the PG position for the next 12 years.

If Rubio comes out he falls no lower than 3 from all the reports I see, so it would take more than Wilson to move that far up, probably would have to bring Nate to the table just to begin discussions. But, I do agree that would be a great plan to draft Rubio and sign Nash as his mentor, maybe Nash even becomes an assistant for us when he hangs it up.

We could trade Duhon for a player like Antonio Daniels to replace Nate in the short term.

Nash/Rubio
Hughes/Daniels
Wison/Danillo
Harrington/Jefferies
Lee/Jefferies

Good enough to get the 8th seed next year -baring some unforseen major moves in The East.

dave2138

Rotation player
Nah I think Rubio would be a terrible idea..The minimum I would think would be 2 future 1st round picks, + 1 of Chander/Gallinari..not worth it to me. Things are going fine the way they are. We'd have to start from scratch investing so much in an unproven player like Rubio.

I'd rather just make a smart pick at #9-15 whatever we wind up with and let that be the only significant change this off season.

I'm no basketball genius, but I say there are worse things than having Nate Robinson as your starting point guard for next 5 or so years. He may not be the most consistent player, but I think the positives outway the negatives.

I keep thinking that this team reminds me potentially of the 99-2005 Sacramento Kings without Chris Webber. The closest thing to Chris Webber that we can realisticly get is Chris Bosh. I think he would make the team jump from a 35-40 win team to a 45-50 win team.

To sum it up - no Nash for me, no trade the world for Rubio for me..Nate Robinson is good enough. Go after Chris Bosh in 2010.

alphad0gz

Rookie
Nate is no starting pg in this league

Well, he may start but he is not decent pg material. He is a scorer best suited for coming off the bench. No team would trade the pick that gets Rubio unless they are set at that position. He has a chance to be special AND be a big entertainer. He won't get traded.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
i like the idea of getting nash for 2 reasons. 1 - hes an awesome pg. although old i think he can still lead a team night in night out. 2 - when he does get old and shit, he can become a mentor to the young guys and be a positive role model in the locker room.

JayJ44

Starter
He would have to sign for the MLE. If he would agree, I'm all for it. That would be the same price as Duhon, and Nash is 100x better than him. People talk about his defense, but Duhon's isn't much better.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well, he may start but he is not decent pg material. He is a scorer best suited for coming off the bench. No team would trade the pick that gets Rubio unless they are set at that position. He has a chance to be special AND be a big entertainer. He won't get traded.

The Clippers or Grizzlies would be a team willing to do so. The Knicks even with this recent run will likely miss the playoffs and end up with the 10th or 11th pick, package that pick and Nate in exchange for the pick that would land them Rubio.

Dirk

Benchwarmer
No pleese no, Nash 2 old, is like Granpa; what is age of Nash 50? in 2 year leg of him will fall off he need weelchair is too old for Knick wil not be able to do the fast running of Datoni style, 3edy curry will be in beter fitness > Nash

2010 Curry > Nash

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I'd rather Nate at the point than Nash at this point in his career.

Not me not yet anyways b/c Nate still has a ways to go to become a legit PG.If Nash would happen to come here to play a couple years then he can learn Nate how to run this offense.Then Nate career would really take off in this kind of system b/c the best(Nash) tought him.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
lmaoooo

its prolly gonna cost more or just as much to get nash and have nate leave

in that case it'd be the dumbest move ever made in history of team sports

nate has WAY better dribble and speed and defense + his shot is gettin better and at times its automatic

not to mention nate gets to the line EASY, nash would need a whole game to score 40

NO NEED for nash, nate and duhon are fine

ya'll act like that's where the team's problem is

best thing would be to get a pure shooter SG and some interior D

have nate run the team, gallinari could be 6th man, harrington also has to start

CoolClyde

Nash @ MLE? GOFORIT!

Nash for MLE is GREAT deal. Losing N8 for Nash, not gr8.
I'd rather see N8 as Knick4Life than have Nash for a couple
years tops... As Dirk says, his legs may fall off before long.
However, Nash will knock Knicks up a level, and make every
Knick a better player. Watch DLee average even more with
a true PG who knows the No-D'ant offense. LeBron will have
to think twice...
:2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents: