Knicks sign Courtney Sims

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Knicks Sign Courtney Sims To 10-Day Contract
Mar 23, 2009 10:26 AM EST

The New York Knickerbockers President of Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh announced today that free agent center Courtney Sims has been signed to a 10-day contract.

Sims, a member of the Iowa Energy, became the 16th GATORADE Call-Up of the 2008-09 NBA Development League season.

Sims, 6-11, 245-pounds, was undrafted out of the University of Michigan and has played a total of 13 minutes in four NBA games with Indiana and Phoenix over the last two seasons. The Roslindale, MA-native was signed as a free agent by Indiana on Oct. 2, 2007 and played in three games last season with the Pacers before being waived on Dec. 19, 2007. Sims spent the remainder of the 2007-08 season and the beginning of this 2008-09 campaign with the NBA Development League?s Iowa Energy. He signed two 10-day contracts with the Phoenix Suns beginning on Jan. 20, 2009 and appeared in one game for the Suns this season.

Cheikh Samb's 10-day contract had expired and the club elected not to re-sign him. The Knicks roster stands at 14 players.

Via Press Release
http://realgm.net/src_wiretap_archives/58062/20090323/knicks_sign_courtney_sims_to_10_day_contract/#

He's played really well in the D-League. Hopefully he'll get some minutes. It's time to tank the season and try out some other players.

I think it's also important to get Curry playing again. We need to increase his trade value somehow.

Kiyaman

Legend
I was hoping we keep both Samb & Sims to practice and run with Curry for the remainder of this season....Curry have to go to Camp this summer in July.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
finally but unlike Samb i hope Sims actually plays, cause he has some potential, nothing special but could ge a good role player if given the minutes and support.

Paul1355

All Star
He's played really well in the D-League. Hopefully he'll get some minutes. It's time to tank the season and try out some other players.

I think it's also important to get Curry playing again. We need to increase his trade value somehow.

Samb is a 7 foot waste and i hope this new guy can play some defense....if we can get a big man that plays decent defense then Jared Jeffries is going to watch games as a DNP.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Courtney Simms averaged 22.8 pts, 11 rebs and 2 blks per game this year in the D-League. Hopefully he can produce in the NBA.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
This time around, they've got to play the guy, if they're going to bother signing him. Samb might have been a bum, but they didn't even play the guy, so we'll never know.

Red

TYPE-A
It was stated the signing was to fill the practice squad and emergencies only. Glad to see Walsh is "thinking big" but not big enough. Another subversive knock on poor pick Gallo.

These 10day practice squad contracts mean nothing.

Red

TYPE-A
Tryouts for next season?

With the Knicks, Sims might actually get some burn here down the stretch, especially considering his terrific numbers in the D-League with Iowa -- 22.8 points per game, 11.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game and shooting 60.5 percent from the field. He had a triple-double in November for Iowa, with 22 points, 17 rebounds and 11 blocks in a D-League win over Sioux Falls.

Demetrius Nichols' second 10-day contract runs out on Friday, which is when the Knicks have to decide whether to keep D-Knick around for the rest of the season or invite another player (likely a guard) in for a look-see.

-Newsday