View Poll Results: What grade would you give Donnie Walsh for his performance thus far with the Knicks?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

8 26.67%
  • B

16 53.33%
  • C

5 16.67%
  • D

1 3.33%
  • F

0 0%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: With one year on the job, Donnie Walsh has put his stamp on Knicks

Dude your a tool.

1... Marbury sucks and has done nothing positive for this team since his arrival. You feel otherwise for some reason so whatever you can live under the assumption that him being here would make a difference.

2... Have you seen todays economy? Do you honestly think Crawford would be foolish enough to walk away from guaranteed money? You also praise Al Harrington consistantly so without trading Crawford how would we have landed the great Al Harrington. Crawford was a marginal player who made alot of money and his contract extended past 2010. If you listened to Donnie Walsh's first press conference he said the main goal was to get under the cap for 2010 not to become the 8th seed.

3. Zach Randolph is a top 10 PF. That is the first thing you've said right thus far. But he's more of a 7-10 PF who plays no defense, is in bad physical condition, never been on a winning team in his career, and most importantly makes much more money then he's worth. We should have never traded for him in the first place. We got very little in return for him on the court but off the court we gained salary cap space. Which by now everybody should realize is the key to winning in the NBA. Also if Zach was such a hot commodity why weren't we getting bombarded with trade offers? The answer is because he makes way to much money.

4. In my opinion I'd take Gallinari over Lopez right now. I can see people making the arguement that we should have taken D.J. Augustine but i don't think Brook Lopez is as special as you people make him seem. Gallinari can shoot the lights out, pass the ball, communicate on both offense and defense, and knock down 90% from the free throw line. Lopez can do none of those things. I'm not impressed that a 7 footer can block shots. If Jerome James plays 30 minutes a night he'd block shots, that doesn't mean hes a good defender.

Some people act as if we can't get a big man in this years draft. Griffin, Hill, and Thabeet have as much upside if not more then Brook Lopez. And if we can't get a center this draft is filled with promising point guards.

We could possibly come out of last years draft and this years draft and free agency period with Bosh, Gallinari, and point guard like Jeff Teague, Brandon Jennings, or Tyreke Evans.

But ABCD feel free to fire back with insults instead of a logical response thats what your known for.

Competing for a Championship in 2010 and beyond > better then slipping into the playoffs and getting swept in 2009

I think you should take some of your own advice and get realistic. You're calling ABCD out on supposed insults, when you came out and called Kiyaman slow, for simply stating his opinion? What a hypocrite. And, by the way, it's you're, not "your," which is how you wrote out "your a tool." Go look up some homophones, so that YOU'RE not making yourself look dumb.

Let's put some definitions up here, to help you understand what we meant, when we said that the Knicks would make it into the playoffs, with a real center in the middle:

Championship:
    1. The position or title of a winner.
    2. Defense or support; advocacy: her championship of the elderly and their rights.
    3. A competition or series of competitions held to determine a winner.
    Playoffs:
    1. A final game or series of games played to break a tie.
    2. A series of games played to determine a championship.
    The playoffs aren't the championship, and you aren't guaranteed the title, when you're a competitive team. All most Knick fans want, right now, is to be competitive. After a few years, if we carefully add pieces to our team, we'll be a contender. For the past few years, after establishing Johnson, for example, the Hawks have been competitive. If they acquire another major piece, they'll likely be contenders. You have this fantasy about 2010. What exactly do you think will happen in 2010? After another 30 win season, in 2009-2010, you think James and Wade will leave cities prepared to pay them, wherein they're worshipped, to come to the Knicks? Ha!!!

You, and some other nuts on this forum, worship D'Antoni and Walsh, as well as Gallinari, and won't even criticize them. A guy who plays a handful of games and shows little skill, outside of the open 3 pointer, is better than a guy who has played productive big minutes, the whole season, without injury? This is ludicrous: even your idols, D'Antoni and Walsh would laugh at that! And as for the Randolph trade, trading Randolph for a guy who can't even play is good business practice?

For those of you who can practice common sense, this is how our team might have been good: when we had the chance, Gasol should have been acquired for Curry, back when he was at 19 ppg. Memphis was ready, but Isiah said that Curry was untouchable. It didn't happen, fine, so what we should have done is to sign Lopez, a guy with a similar skills set and tons of upside. You keep Crawford and Zach, two elite scorers: that's their job: scoring, don't worry about whether you think they're not great on D or any personal stuff on them. You provide them with a guy that can protect the basket, and you let them work to protect the perimeter, collapse on inside guys and score, then you'd have seen the power of a complete team, at all positions. Marbury can be kept, as long as he acts properly, and you waive him, if he tries to start anything. You bring Duhon, Lee, Balkman and Nate off the bench, as a second unit.

In the off-season, you add some more pieces, compete, until you have the cap space to sign a big player, which is how we got Allan Houston, back in the day. It might not turn out perfect, because their are always unforseen events, but you don't just tear down a whole team of professionals. You act intelligently, add players at positions of need, remove the ones that are hindering progress. The Knicks were bad because they needed a new coach, one they could respect, and stability in the middle, so that guys could feel comfortable on defense. The players never got that.

So, you guys are satisfied with just making the playoffs?

If not, then enlighten me on how to realistically build a championship caliber team by 2010 with Crawford and Zach on the roster.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay

If not, then enlighten me on how to realistically build a championship caliber team by 2010 with Crawford and Zach on the roster.

First off, a team's caliber is not static. Boston, this year, IMO, is not championship caliber. Dallas was, but it no longer is. In the 90's, the Knicks went back and forth, between being a contender and being a playoff team, with no real chance of capturing the title. And by 2010, I want to know how you're so sure, as I've asked, over and over again, that we'll be a championship caliber team, when Lebron and Wade have said they're not coming here and the team currently lacks a quality SG, and has guys expiring, at a number of key positions: PF, SF, SG, all by 2010. Are they going to sign 8 players, in 2010? Please, even if this works, it'll take about 5 years, just to be competitive, the way they're doing things.

How you're really supposed to do things is by keeping what's good and changing pieces intelligently, to strengthen all areas. You then replace players, as they break down or when someone a lot better comes around, i.e. Starks for Sprewell trade. Crawford and Randolph do what they do. You improve by getting players that can make up for what they don't do as well. This is what you guys don't get.

Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    First off, a team's caliber is not static. Boston, this year, IMO, is not championship caliber. Dallas was, but it no longer is. In the 90's, the Knicks went back and forth, between being a contender and being a playoff team, with no real chance of capturing the title. And by 2010, I want to know how you're so sure, as I've asked, over and over again, that we'll be a championship caliber team, when Lebron and Wade have said they're not coming here and the team currently lacks a quality SG, and has guys expiring, at a number of key positions: PF, SF, SG, all by 2010. Are they going to sign 8 players, in 2010? Please, even if this works, it'll take about 5 years, just to be competitive, the way they're doing things.
    You're assuming Lebron or Wade will not come here. Besides, there are many very good free agents available to us in 2010. None of which would be available if we had kept Crawford and Zach, and all of which are better than Crawford and Zach.

You're assuming it would take 5 years for the 2010 team to be competitive. I don't know where you got that estimate. The Celtics won a championship in 1 year.

The forward positions seem fairly solid to me. It's feasible to sign Nash to the mid-level, and have Tyson Chandler at Center and D-Wade at SG (or some other variation of equally valuable and talented peices).

The only thing that bothers me about Walsh's plan is how much it is riding on being able to trade Curry for an expiring contract. If he can do it, he gets an A+++ from me.

Basically, we have much more flexibility to build a very good team if Walsh's plan works out. With your plan, we stay with mediocrity and very little flexibility for many years and miss out on signing any of the free agents available in 2010.

Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    How you're really supposed to do things is by keeping what's good and changing pieces intelligently, to strengthen all areas. You then replace players, as they break down or when someone a lot better comes around, i.e. Starks for Sprewell trade. Crawford and Randolph do what they do. You improve by getting players that can make up for what they don't do as well. This is what you guys don't get.
    I guess we will just have to disagree about Crawford and Zach. I don't think they are good. In fact, I think they are awful and am glad they are gone. I don't believe you can have a very good team with those guys on the roster, especially both. And I definitely don't believe you should build a roster around both of those guys, which is what you just suggested.

yeah i would take a playoff appearance over a draft pick of 8 and above

yeah marbury puts up d league numbers in 6th man minutes since joining the celtics. good job walsh.

any way.

how are you going to grade this guy for rearranging a puzzle missing half its pieces.

give him a grade when his set plan for 2010 is finished.

end of story

Originally Posted by datruth
    yeah i would take a playoff appearance over a draft pick of 8 and above
    But would you take the 8 seed against a 1 seed who has lost one game at home all year and a 0% shot at the #1 pick or a 1% shot at the #1 pick? What good does being an 8 seed and getting embarrassed do, really, in the long run?

Veteran

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay

Where is everyone getting the word "Championship" and Donnie Walsh from?

This is a thread about Donnie Walsh....not Championship Pat Riley.
    u have 20 years in Indiaina why the word Championship does not go in front or in back of the name Donnie Walsh.

Drafting Brook Lopez was the start of this teams rebuilding-mode.
    Both Zach & Curry could have "tandem" with Brook Lopez defensive talent.

Wilson Chandler started making his mark offensively & defensively on this team last year at this time, was our best player in the SL games, and in the preseason his all-around perfomance fitted this system to well to deny him playingtime this season.
    Balkman should have remained on the team for defensive purposes or best used in a trade on draft night for a lower pick.

Duhon was the right guard to tandem with Marbury or Nate.
    So the signing of Duhorn was one of the reasons why I gave Walsh a passing grade of C-minus b/c Walsh lost big points on his grading from his draft pick, signing Roberson, trading Balkman for nothing, DNP Marbury, and doing nothing from October to now to get Curry into game shape.
    Mardy Collins was a great piece to have on the bench for defensive assignments.

Having a Defensive players at C-Lopez, SF-Balkman, and PG-Collins would have gave our bench a defensive depth.
    Trading Crawful almost gave Walsh a grade B....but when he traded Zach & Collins for nothing his grade stayed at C-minus.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Drafting Brook Lopez was the start of this teams rebuilding-mode.
    Both Zach & Curry could have "tandem" with Brook Lopez defensive talent.
    Hindsight is 20/20, we also could have drafted Amare Stoudemire in 2002 or Andrew Bynum instead of Channing Frye. Bye-gones are bye-gones. If he could have seen how well Lopez had adjusted to the NBA, I'm sure the Knicks wouldn't have made the Gallo pick.

DNP Marbury
    D'Antoni's decision.

and doing nothing from October to now to get Curry into game shape.
    Curry, to his defense, had to deal with a lot of **** this year. It's not on the GM to get the guy in playing shape, that's on the trainers and the coaching staff. In any case, Eddy Curry went through a lot this year, from ridiculous allegations of sexual harrassment to the mother of his child getting murdered. He's had a lot to deal with, none of which can be attributed to Donnie Walsh but all of which affected Eddy Curry getting into game shape.

Veteran

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    But would you take the 8 seed against a 1 seed who has lost one game at home all year and a 0% shot at the #1 pick or a 1% shot at the #1 pick? What good does being an 8 seed and getting embarrassed do, really, in the long run?
    This 2008-9 season had twice as much weak teams than last season did....and the Knicks had the jump on everyone b/c there was no more Isiah Thomas calling the shots that's and automatic 35 win season....drafting a defensive-center Brook Lopez gives us 5 more games to add with the 35....giving Duhon all of Crawful playingtime and keeping Balkman would've gave us 5 more games to add to the 40....a 45 win Knick team would not be a 8th seed.

This 2008-9 season had twice as much weak teams than last season did....and the Knicks had the jump on everyone b/c there was no more Isiah Thomas calling the shots that's and automatic 35 win season....drafting a defensive-center Brook Lopez gives us 5 more games to add with the 35....giving Duhon all of Crawful playingtime and keeping Balkman would've gave us 5 more games to add to the 40....a 45 win Knick team would not be a 8th seed.
    This is beyond speculation, this is absolutely ridiculous. You just are attributing more wins blindly. You have no evidence, statistical, consequential, circumstantial, NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that any of these "estimates" are even in the ballpark of what would happen, none the less accurate. You can't just say that having no Isiah means we win 35. You can't just say that Brook Lopez adds 5 more wins. You can't just say playing Duhon, sitting Crawford and Balkman adds 5 more wins. That's not even close to being anything resembling rational, appropriate or accurate. At all. In any way.

It's funny that so many think they know so much. When in reality they know so little. Let's face it guys. "OUR" New York Knicks is 48 x 82. That's what we get. That's what we see. 48 minutes x 82 games.

D'Antoni and Walsh have to be leaders. They have to get a group of, RICH, SPOILED, IDOLIZED, professional athletes that are used to get what they want, when they want, and have them work together. Does that sound easy?

At the same time you have to earn their trust and respect. An easy thing to do in this day and age when players have the media on speed dial #1 and just love to tell their story everytime something is not done their way.

That Marbury was kept in the cold and later let go was for the greater goods. Had they kept him, they would, most likely, have lost the respect from the other players. Then you're done as a leader. You will never get where you wanna go if you don't have your men behind you.

A leader without respect is doomed. Isiah had a playoff team on paper but he never came close to making it. I don't think it was because of his basketball. I think it was because his leadership. I think he lost the respect from his players. What D'Antoni and Walsh have done with the team might be above our pay grade. It might be a leadership thing that we don't have access too.

We shouldn't act like WE know whats best for the team when we don't know **** what's going on outside of 48 x 82.

i gave him a C and I agree completely with Kiyaman's post

Why is it an auto 35 win season without Isiah?

And how would we have possibly accumulated 45 wins with this team or the pre-trade team? Lopez or no that's a huge call. Can we stop talking about a Nets player on a Knicks site please? It's blasphemous & pointless.

Another thread choc-full of more assumptions from the nay sayers.
    Last edited by Crazy⑧s; Mar 31, 2009 at 20:18. Reason: what's it to you?