gallo's surgery was successful.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
That's great news. If he can be 100% for next season, I think he will have a very good year and hopefully quiet the people too eager to call him a bust.

He's one of our most talented players and has a very high basketball I.Q. The only question is his health. If he's injured next year and misses the majority of next season, I will call him a bust. Until then, I'm hoping for a successful recovery and breakout year next season.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
nice....now if by the summer he could start working out so he could come back next season stronger and the experience should be a +

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
that's great to hear. he should definitely take it easy for a little while. after a short rest he should start working out though. Being in great physical shape will prevent future injuries. Gallo does not want to end up like this guy:

shaunlivingstonknee.jpg

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
that's great to hear. he should definitely take it easy for a little while. after a short rest he should start working out though. Being in great physical shape will prevent future injuries. Gallo does not want to end up like this guy:

shaunlivingstonknee.jpg

that looks like Marcus Camby with braids!!

Is gallo playing in the summer league? I hope he is. Would be good for him.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
that looks like Marcus Camby with braids!!

Is gallo playing in the summer league? I hope he is. Would be good for him.

lol its shaun livingston, and when i saw tht youtube video, well it was terrible. young talent who had potential to be something special. he'll never have his previous athletism but i hope he makes an impact for the thunder

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gallo's "Successful" Surgery

"Successful" is a fluid term. I wish there were a little more detail. Did they find more damage than expected? Or was what they saw and corrected precisely what was expected?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Knicks’ Gallinari Has Successful Surgery

By HOWARD BECK
Published: April 7, 2009

The back surgery performed on Danilo Gallinari on Tuesday is a low-risk procedure that should have no long-term consequences for the Knicks rookie, according to a New York-based spine expert.

The Knicks announced Tuesday morning that Gallinari had successful surgery, with a full recovery expected in six to eight weeks. During the procedure, known as a laminotomy, doctors shaved down a bony plate that was irritating a nearby nerve.

Although a back injury raises concerns for an elite athlete, Gallinari should not have any chronic problems based on this surgery, said Dr. Sheeraz Qureshi, an expert in cervical spine and lumbar disc surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center. He has not examined or treated Gallinari.

“There’s no reason to think that he won’t be able to get back to full capacity, assuming that they’re doing the correct procedure,” said Qureshi, who is also the chief of spinal trauma at Elmhurst Hospital Center.

Gallinari, the sixth pick in the 2008 draft, is considered the Knicks’ most promising prospect in two decades, so his health is of paramount concern to the franchise. Dr. Patrick O’Leary of the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan performed the surgery.

Team officials believe Gallinari’s back problems stem from a bulging disc, presumably caused by a collision with Robert Traylor in a summer league game in July. Although the disc later receded, the pain persisted, causing Gallinari to miss training camp. He played briefly in the first two games of the season, then missed the next two months while undergoing a rigorous rehabilitation program.

Gallinari rejoined the rotation in mid-January, but he was never more than 60 to 70 percent healthy, by his own estimates. He decided to shut himself down in mid-March and began contemplating surgery.

According to Qureshi, the surgery Gallinari had has a 90 percent success rate. The question now, he said, is whether the injury and the surgery were as limited as the Knicks have announced. It is not uncommon for the team to withhold details about player injuries.

Whether Gallinari will have some chronic pain as a result of the back surgery “is sort of like flipping a coin,” Qureshi said. “However, in the age group that Danilo Gallinari is in, in his 20s, I would expect that he’s likely not going to have chronic symptoms, at least for the time of his playing career.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/sports/basketball/08knicks.html?_r=1&ref=sports

It's still a "wait and see" but it seems like he should be able to come back at 100% without any recurring pain. It's good news but I'm still crossing my fingers.

HotDog

Rookie
UPDATE April 12th

The operation was aboslutely ok.
The doc was happy with what he found inside Gallo's back.
First days' recovery absolutely fine.
He'll be back in the gym in the first days of May and plans to be ready to play in the summer league.

:)

video interview

dre48ny

Rotation player
Oh man that is definitely great news!!! He has the whole off season to work out and practice!!!

HotDog

Rookie
Update June 3rd

Gallo is in his 4th week back in the gym.
Everything running smooth in the recovery.
Expect him to be in acceptable condition for Summer League.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I read that he'll not be playing in the summer league this year. It seems rather pointless to me to over do it with Gallo after being the Knicks biggest disapointment this year. Chandler should give it a miss as well.

Just throw in some D leaguers and do them the favor of allowing them some much needed exposure. Throw in Ewing Jr, Dennis Rodman & Chiek Samb just for shits n' giggles.

JayJ44

Starter
I read that he'll not be playing in the summer league this year. It seems rather pointless to me to over do it with Gallo after being the Knicks biggest disapointment this year. Chandler should give it a miss as well.

Just throw in some D leaguers and do them the favor of allowing them some much needed exposure. Throw in Ewing Jr, Dennis Rodman & Chiek Samb just for shits n' giggles.

Yeah, I agree. The point of summer league is to see if the player belongs in the league. We all know Gallo and Chandler belong in the league, so why risk anything?

smokes

Huge Member

Do we still have rights on Ewing Jr? I read somewhere about some other team involving him in a trade but I don't remember the details.