6th Man Race: Top 5 Candidates

N8's had a good season, should we hold onto him or trade him?

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
5. Anderson Varejao, Cleveland
Key stats: 77 games (38 starts), 8.7 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 54.2 FG%, 28.6 mpg.

4. Travis Outlaw, Portland
Key stats: 77 games (5 starts), 12.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 45.2 FG%, 27.9 mpg

3. J.R. Smith, Denver
Key stats: 78 games (18 starts), 14.9 ppg, 44.5 FG%, 39.2 3P%, 27.8 mpg

2. Nate Robinson, New York
Key stats: 71 games (11 starts), 17.5 ppg, 4.1 apg, 3.9 rpg, 24.8 mpg

Robinson may be vertically challenged, but his hops and stature on the Knicks are not. The reigning slam dunk king is on one serious tear in just his fourth season overall and first under New York boss Mike D'Antoni.
Robinson is averaging about 22 points, five assists, four rebounds, 32 minutes and shooting 45 percent over the last 28 games.

Included are 14 20-point performances, eight of at least 30 and another at 40. He's in the top 20 in scoring for all players after the All-Star break.
"Nate has been playing great," Hawks guard Joe Johnson said. "He gives the Knicks so much energy off the bench, and from what I've been seeing, he's been very efficient. He's making a good case for himself to get that Sixth Man award. He is making everyone take notice."

Even at 5-foot-9, Robinson is hard to miss. He tied the franchise record for most points off the bench (41) first set by Bob McAdoo in 1978. Robinson ranks second in bench scoring, and finished ninth in scoring for February at 23.9 points a game. He's also the first player since Magic Johnson in 1981 to record at least 30 points, 15 assists, nine rebounds and five steals in the same game, doing so against Denver on March 29.

1. Jason Terry, Dallas
Key stats: 70 games (11 starts), 19.6 ppg, 46.7 FG%, 88 FT%, 33.6 mpg

The clear-cut favorite all season has yet to slow down. After transitioning to sixth man on a semi-permanent basis last year, Terry is racking up big-time numbers in his first full season as Rick Carlisle's designated assassin off the bench.

"I'm fortunate to have a guy like this in the prime of his career who is not only willing to make the sacrifices, but embrace the challenge," Carlisle said.

The high-spirited 10-year vet is averaging more points than each of the last 18 Sixth Man winners. Milwaukee's Ricky Pierce was the last Sixth Man recipient to average more than 20 points a game (23.0), in 1989-90. Manu Ginobili and Leandro Barbosa, two of the players Terry uses as a guide in this role, averaged 19.5 and 18.1, respectively, in winning the award the last two years.

"I'm not really sure where we would be without Jason," Dirk Nowitzki said. "Averaging 20 points in this league is tough ... It's even tougher when you are doing it off the bench. Every time he shoots it, I think it is going in. He is having a phenomenal season."
Terry has scored at least 20 off the bench 31 times, including 21 on Wednesday when the Mavericks clinched a playoff spot in the win over Utah. He's single-handedly matched or outscored the opposing bench 24 times this season, with Dallas sporting a 17-7 record.
Add it up and Terry appears to be a lock to join Antawn Jamison (2004) and Roy Tarpley (1988) as the third Maverick to claim Sixth Man of the Year honors.

"It's more of a fans' award," Terry said. "I always feel part of them. They're the sixth man. It is my role for this team and I try to be my best I can be at it, knowing that if I'm good, the team is going to be good."

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Personally, I'm sick of Nate's ups and downs on the court and wonder whether or not his hopes of succeeding are team based, or just fuel for his antics. Every scream, dance and pistol whip shits me to tears.

I say trade, because even though he's had some great games, he's proven he can't be called upon to contribute consistently.

As a result, I'd love to see him take the award for exposures sake and put his name into more trade ideas and proposals.

No doubt Terry will take the award for being more consistent as well as being so on a winning team in a tough conference.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
but wins Terry owns Robinson at that

if we woulda had more wins or made the playoffs it woulda been Nate but since not theres no way i would give 6th man to a lottery team so Terry gets it.

Kiyaman

Legend
Nate Robinson did not have a chance in hell of winning the 6th-man contest unless he was a Super-Star on this Knick team.
The Knicks starting lineup changed on a weely basis, and the bench players were different every other game.

Coach Carlisle did not do that to Terry
Coach Karl did not do that to J.R Smith
Coach McMillian did not do that to Outlaw
Coach Brown did not do that to Varejao

All 4 coaches had/have the same rotation since the start of the season.
Having the same teammates on the court with u every game does help the team out.

TunerAddict

Starter
Nate Robinson did not have a chance in hell of winning the 6th-man contest unless he was a Super-Star on this Knick team.
The Knicks starting lineup changed on a weely basis, and the bench players were different every other game.

Coach Carlisle did not do that to Terry
Coach Karl did not do that to J.R Smith
Coach McMillian did not do that to Outlaw
Coach Brown did not do that to Varejao

All 4 coaches had/have the same rotation since the start of the season.
Having the same teammates on the court with u every game does help the team out.

Did you even read the first post?

It even shows the starts these guys had and Terry had the same # of starts as Nate, and Anderson had in the 30s.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Personally, I'm sick of Nate's ups and downs on the court and wonder whether or not his hopes of succeeding are team based, or just fuel for his antics. Every scream, dance and pistol whip shits me to tears.

I say trade, because even though he's had some great games, he's proven he can't be called upon to contribute consistently.

As a result, I'd love to see him take the award for exposures sake and put his name into more trade ideas and proposals.

No doubt Terry will take the award for being more consistent as well as being so on a winning team in a tough conference.

Absolutely correct!

Paul1355

All Star
They'll give it to Jason Terry

guaranteed......

1) The mavericks are a better team than the Knicks and awards are mainly won to players on good teams.

2) Jason Terry is more consistent than Nate Robinson.

3) Terry's numbers are slightly better.

4) Nate won the slam dunk contest and if he wins the 6th man award, people will use that as an excuse that he won.

ALSO....if Nate wins the 6th man award....he's going to ask for big bucks and the Knicks will never see him again in their uniform.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
besides all the other reasons people have posted, up and comers never get it. terry will most definitely win it this year.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
if you notice every one them teams is in the playoffs...and we're one the worst teams in the league...Nate aint getting nothing

Kiyaman

Legend
Combo-Guard Jason Terry earning $11M per while averaging 34 mpg, happen to be the best athletic energy-guard on the Mavs roster, plus having no problem comming off the bench so ancient (35 yr old) super-star PG-Jason Kidd could be the starting-point with Barea or Wright.....to earn a 50 Win season.

Yeah! Jason Terry 20 pt, 3 ast, 2 rb, 1 stl, 1 to, in 74 games this season earned the 6th Man award.

The only way Jason Terry would not have won the 6th man award this season....if the Knicks coach was'nt so personal with Marbury....and sticked to the game plan of bringing the "TRIO" of Marbury, Nate, and Chandler off the bench at the sametime throughout this 82 game season....NBA teams scouts would've been fixed on defending the Knicks bench trio this season.

Believe it or not...

Kiyaman

Legend
Questioning for.....the "New Regime"

Mardy Collins should have started some games alongside with Chris Duhon this season....especially when u have a "TRIO" of Marbury, Nate, and Chandler comming off the bench with a fast-passing transition game.
Collins & Duhon both (with help from Q.Rich) needed to prove together that their defense could win quarters of a game just as well as Marbury & Nate scoring offense can with Wilson Chandler.

The Crawful trade for Harrington was the perfect move....Zach Randolph should've stayed a Knick throughout the 82 game season or at least untill the trading deadline b/c he showed under Dantoni's coaching from Training-Camp to the 11 game of the season that he was a coachable player whom 20-10 stat performance can WIN GAMES.

Was Zach traded for the 2010 Plan????? or was Zach traded to save Donnie Walsh friend Dunleavy job who Clippers had a poor preseason and a 2-12 record at the start of the regular season?
Why was'nt the Zach trade denied after the $18.5M Mobley failure to pass a physical with a career ending injury? Only a friend would do this for another friend.

To except such an expensive lost in a trade should'nt we have receive a first round pick (Eric Gordon or 2009 pick)???