Knicks looking for an upgrade at PG

Who would be the best option to replace Duhon?

• Total voters

JayJ44

Starter
Chris Duhon was an unexcused no-show in February when the Knicks' charter flight returned home from Miami the morning after their loss to Dwyane Wade and the Heat.
When Stephon Marbury went AWOL in November of 2007, his disappearance became national news. Duhon's error in judgment, however, barely caused a ripple outside of the Knicks organization.
The official word was that Duhon overslept, which is entirely plausible. But the incident did raise additional concerns about Duhon's lifestyle - which were first broached last summer before Duhon joined the Knicks on a two-year, $12 million contract - and whether his affinity for the nightlife is directly linked to the point guard's rapidly declining play during the second half of the season.
As Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni evaluate 2008-09 and begin building next season's team, Duhon's future will be one of the main topics. According to a source, the Knicks will try to upgrade at the position with the idea of making Duhon the backup, which appears to be a more suitable role for him.
A trade is not out of the question since Duhon is entering the final year of his contract. However, Duhon has a strong supporter in D'Antoni, who, on the advice of Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, lobbied Walsh to sign the point guard last July.
The move paved the way for the Knicks to begin divorce proceedings with Marbury, the incumbent starter who never played a minute this season before negotiating a buyout two months ago.
D'Antoni had enough confidence in Duhon that he anointed him the starting point guard before training camp began and demoted the more accomplished Marbury. For a time, the controversial decision appeared to be the proper move. In the Knicks' first 46 games, Duhon averaged 12.7 points, eight assists and 2.85 turnovers. Plus, the Knicks were in the thick of the playoff hunt, going 21-25 through January.
But as Duhon has fallen off, so too have the Knicks. Since Feb.1, Duhon has averaged 10.1 points, 6.1 assists and 2.87 turnovers while the Knicks have gone 10-24 and managed to go from playoff contender to irrelevant.
Duhon has acknowledged that his body has felt the impact of averaging a career-high 37 minutes per game. Duhon enters tonight's final road game, against the Heat, having already played 2,849 minutes, shattering his previous high of 2,177 set during his rookie season of 2004-05 with Chicago.
Duhon clearly looks a step slower and that became apparent two weeks ago against the Utah Jazz when Deron Williams easily beat him to a loose ball even though Duhon was at least three feet closer to it. Scouts have also noticed that D'Antoni's renowned running game has become a jogging game over the last few months with Duhon running the point.
Once D'Antoni determined that Marbury didn't fit into his plans, the Knicks suffered because they didn't have a suitable backup to limit Duhon's minutes. Nate Robinson is more of a scoring guard whose poor decision-making drives D'Antoni crazy. Signing Anthony Roberson over the summer was a mistake since he was a shooting guard who never found his stroke, and he was eventually traded to the Bulls in the Larry Hughes deal.
This summer the Knicks may explore the possibility of acquiring Steve Nash, the maestro of D'Antoni's "Seven Seconds or Less" offense in Phoenix. According to sources, the Suns want to sign Nash to a contract extension but would honor his request for a trade if he was looking to move on. Whether the Suns would agree to a deal with the Knicks, however, remains to be seen.
There is also talk of the Charlotte Bobcats looking to move Raymond Felton. Philadelphia's Andre Miller would be an ideal fit, but the Sixers are expected to re-sign him.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ote_chris_duhon_to_bench_for_next_season.html

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i would love that, Duhon just isnt a starter in this league even though he make think he is.

i still say go for Rubio or Lawson, and trade for T.Chandler

JayJ44

Starter
I would love to draft Lawson or Rubio. It would be ideal if we could get Nash over here, so he could tutor either one. Nash could teach Lawson or Rubio the system their rookie year. Then come off the bench for them in his later years.

smokes

Huge Member
Yeah, release or sign+trade Nate, draft/trade or sign a MLE PG, and whack Duhon on the bench. I think he'd be pretty effective as a backup.

ANU

Starter
jennings or rubio.trade duhon and bring in nash to mentor either rubio or jennings.nate will end up with the magic, and lee probably with the kings or the trailmix.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Nash makes [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$12,250,000 in 2009/2010 season so it wouldn't be imposible to trade for him. I think he has two more good years left, so I'll say pull the trigger and get him. We currently do not own a first round pick in 2010 draft so making the playoffs next year is crucial. Nash contract has team option at 13 mil after next season so if we could pick that option and get another free agent we are set. The notion of re-signing Lee and Nate is one we should not even consider. That would only leave us on payroll for 2010 with Chandler, Gallianari, Jeffries, Curry, and 2009 pick. Those five players will give us a combined payroll of 27 million. Depending on the salary cap who will probably drop, would give us 20 million under the cap or so. Dammit but if we pick Nash option in 2010 that would only leave us with 7 million to spend. Man I'm trying to make sense and am already confused. Help!!!
[/FONT]

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Duhon is the player that reminds me the most of Howard Eisley. They both play exactly alike, very conservative and both role players. Yes we need an upgrade at pg.

JayJ44

Starter
Yeah, I agree we shouldn't resign Nate and Lee. Both are replaceable, especially Lee. He gets garbage points, can't play defense, and can't create his own shot. He's not worth nearly the amount of money he's asking for. Hopefully we can get a sign and trade with him.

Nate is better, and would probably come cheaper, so I wouldn't mind seeing him stay. He's a handful for D'antoni, very immature at times. But he can score. When he's hot, he can carry us offensively. He would be a good player off the bench when we get a good team. I could go either way with Nate.

We've done nothing since they've been here. Why pay these guys so much money, when they're obviously not difference makers? Their stats are inflated, and we could easily replace them.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
A Nash deal could work. Next season is the final year of his contract and we can resign him for about what we're paying Duhon in my opinion. The big deal is 2010/2011 season, the season in which coincidentally Curry's contract expires.

Regarding Nate and David, these are both good players that are expendable for the right return. I'd love to see Lee along side Bosh, or even Robinson beside Bosh, but one must go. Since rumor has it that Lee will demand 10 million a year, I say lowball him and offer him 5 million per year. If that aint good enough package him with Curry or Jeffries and waive bye.

Back to Nash: Can we get Nash? Possibly but the question is at his age would he be ok with playing for a re-re-building team? A Nash/Duhon tandem would finally solve our point guard problems and enhance ball movement.

Forget Chandler, get Bosh! Even if it takes trading Lee/Robinson/Curry and Star Jones, get Bosh!

Bosh (Not a natural center but many teams are starting forwards at center. We did with Kurt Thomas for years.)
Harrington (He's taller and heavier then Gallo. I'd start him at PF.)
Gallinari/Chandler
Hughes
Nash/Duhon

richtree

Rotation player
we need an upgrade at every starting position.

Bottom line is one of the SF's can start if we surround the team with 2 stars.

jimkcchief88

All Star
See this is what makes the Gallinari pick such a glaring mistake. You have a the 6th pick last year in a draft deep with PG's, but you draft a project swingman who just happens to be your godson. Now you figure out maybe you need another PG. Its hard to rebuild a team when you throw away draft picks.

TunerAddict

Starter
See this is what makes the Gallinari pick such a glaring mistake. You have a the 6th pick last year in a draft deep with PG's, but you draft a project swingman who just happens to be your godson. Now you figure out maybe you need another PG. Its hard to rebuild a team when you throw away draft picks.

Rose was the only decent PG in the draft...Don't know what you're smoking...

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
if we wanna replace D.Lee we could just draft Tyler Hansbourogh (spelled that wrong) in the second round or something, he does exactly what lee does except he actually plays defense.

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer

Westbrook is nice too. But neither one were available so its a moot point. Augustine i am not sold on at all.
Galinari is 2 years away from proving if he was or was not worth the pick, he is a project, so we are just going to have to deal with the wait.
If he's Turkoglu, its an alright pick. If he's Dirk, its a great pick. And if he's Matt Bullard, it sucks.

I know no one likes this, but im praying Thabeet falls to us. There is no Defensive big man available except T. Chandler. Thats our biggest need. The paint is wide open for other teams, if we get an eraser in ther, we are a playoff team.

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
if we wanna replace D.Lee we could just draft Tyler Hansbourogh (spelled that wrong) in the second round or something, he does exactly what lee does except he actually plays defense.

Tyler is a try hard hustle type guy. Lee is straight fundamental around the basket. Not the same type player at all in my opinion. Tyler shoots from his hip, and will get swatted a lot in the pros, Lee does sometime, but not as much as Tyler will.
I like Lee, his defense is some of the worst i have ever seen for a 4, but i think with a shot blocking 5, he would be ok.

Paul1355

All Star
I picked Andre Miller....Miller won't cost as much as nash and has the same offensive awarness on the court....Miller can give you more assists then Duhon and is a better veteran player.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
I'm not really concerned with our point guard situation: Duhon passes, can knock down an open shot and, every once in a while, get a layup, in traffic. You can do better, but that's not very important, at this stage. For years, we played with Ward and Childs, and we were competitive. Those guys aren't half of what Duhon is, but we were winning. If you want a championship, you might have to get someone better; but, then again, the Lakers were winning titles with Ron Harper at the point.

What we truly need is a competent center. Pau Gasol would have been ideal, but Isiah was only offering Malik Rose and Nate Robinson. Brook Lopez is already a good center, with a lot of upside; but, we let him go for Gallinari. It's over and done with, but we should still pursue a center, in this year's draft. I doubt there's anyone as good as Lopez in there, but we should get the best possible big that we can. We definitely need two guards: a point and a shooting guard; but a center has to be our focus, when it comes to the draft.

Ricky Rubio should definitely not be an option for this team. We've already dipped into the pool of Euro talent, let someone else take him. If we choose to blow our draft pick on a point guard, who won't make us a competitive team in the short run (only rookie point that's done that is Paul), I'd rather take Lawson, whoever he is: an NCAA player, than roll the dice on a guy that's unproven and hyped up on his performance in a 16 and under league.

TunerAddict

Starter
Westbrook is nice too. But neither one were available so its a moot point. Augustine i am not sold on at all.
Galinari is 2 years away from proving if he was or was not worth the pick, he is a project, so we are just going to have to deal with the wait.
If he's Turkoglu, its an alright pick. If he's Dirk, its a great pick. And if he's Matt Bullard, it sucks.

I know no one likes this, but im praying Thabeet falls to us. There is no Defensive big man available except T. Chandler. Thats our biggest need. The paint is wide open for other teams, if we get an eraser in ther, we are a playoff team.

I don't like Westbrook's offensive game. Kid shoots lower than Crawford. He is good on defense. I'll concede that fact. Plus he has a lot of upside form his immense athleticism. I don't know about his court vision though...

jimkcchief88

All Star

Here is a list of point guards who were availible with the 6th pick of last year's draft and their averages in points/assists this season: Eric Gordon 16/3, DJ Augustine 12/3.5, Westbrook 15/5, even Mario Chalmers at 10/5. That doesn't include Rose and Mayo who were already off the board. And your point is??????