What if Rubio refused to workout for any team other than The Knicks could we get him?

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look with a 2.8% (I think that is it) chance of landing the number one and like a 4 o5% chance of cracking the top 3 at all our chances of landing this kid seem remote. We have no pick next year so even if he withdrew his name this year, we still have no shot. So does he pull a Danillo? I would love him if he did, but, would seven other teams pass on that sort of talent? Doesnt seem likely until you consider this former Spanish lottery pick..........
Francisco V?zquez Gonz?lez!

Remeber him? he was selected 11th by Orlando and was supposed to be Robin to Dwight's Batman on Orlando's frontcourt, he didnt want to play in Orlando and decided to go back to Spain to play. Catch my drift? If Rubio refuses to workout for a team and they draft him anyways, all he has to do is pull a Vazquez and resume playing in Spain. Unlike College kids, these guys are already making money and are already stars in their own country, now are they making NBA bank, no, but point is that they are not as thirsty to get into the NBA.

Q. 1.Would this be enough to scare teams off from Drafting Rubio?

Q.2.Is this a fair Practice

Q.3. Kinda off the subject, but how high do yall think Danillo gets Drafted if he doesnt refuse workouts last year?

The Newness' Answers:

A. 1) I would be pretty leary of wasting a lottery pick considering the teams that have the most chance to getting him can ill afford it. I guess Washington could take the risk, because with Gilbert back next season they should be back to playoff ball again, but still a gamble nonetheless for them even. So I would say yeah, if Rubio appears not to want to go to a team, then it would be foolish for that team to draft him and risk losing the pick. Getting a less talented player is better than not one at all!

A. 2) Hell No this is not fair! Look we are Knick fans and for the most part a lot of Rookies would love to end up in NY. But, if you are a team like OK, then this sucks for you, and ultimatley the NBA when players refuse to workout for teams. Still I hope Rubio does it before The New CBA forbids it!

A. 3) Danillo might have gone as high as 5, Memphis worked him out, Minny and OKC (then The Sonics) wanted to, so no reason to think they might not have taken him. Before The Lottery order was set, he was thought to be a 3rd or 4th pick -which really says nothing considering Mayo was thought to be 7th and Westbrook a late lottery/early first rounder- so, no reason to think he would not have gotten drafted before 7th.

Sound Off!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I think we can trade up for the 2 or 3 pick. I would offer Chandler and our 8th pick for garbage and the # 2 or 3 pic from either LA or Washington.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
There must be more to this kid then what i've seen in these youtube little mixes, cause he doesn't look like anything special from those..i mean if he's projected to go over these other players from ncaa he must be good, but looking at these videos he looks like Gallo or something...i don't understand why people are so stuck on getten him? Also, why would you think he would pass on these teams, or wants to come to NY? has he said he only wants to play in NY or something or??

New New York

Quiet Storm
There must be more to this kid then what i've seen in these youtube little mixes, cause he doesn't look like anything special from those..i mean if he's projected to go over these other players from ncaa he must be good, but looking at these videos he looks like Gallo or something...i don't understand why people are so stuck on getten him? Also, why would you think he would pass on these teams, or wants to come to NY? has he said he only wants to play in NY or something or??

Naw he never said he wants to come to NY, but, you have to think that it would be a preferred destination, now would he take it that far as to manipulate workouts, I don't know.

Here is why I am high on him; I read a scouting report that stated his basketball IQ and potential is off the charts! Now I too wasnt blown away by his highlights either, but highlights arent going to really show potential and won't really too much show how intelligent a player someone is. He is thought to be the one of the only lottery picks with an upside, and his upside is major!

9.8 pts 5.8 ast 2.3 TO's, not much to write home about until you consider he is just 18 playing w/ above Division 1 talent. The second best Euroleage pg talent is Brandon Jennings and he is older and not producing as well.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened

Luckily, some dumb ass GM is going to draft Rubio at 2 or 3. We will, hopefully, not get a high pick, so that we at least get an NCAA player: the unpopular choice, these days. Funny thing is that some dumb team is probably going to pass on Blake Griffin, the next Dwight Howard, for this guy. If we did get a high pick, I wouldn't trust Walsh and D'Antoni to not blow it on Rubio.

And what will some unlucky team's fans say, the minute he sucks? He's only 18. Remember that, from this year, as well as all the Italians that started coming to this site? Whoever wins the Rubio sweeps will have a bunch of Spaniards flooding their forums, as well, with propaganda.

Like you said, he has a youtube mix, and the mix isn't even that good, which is shocking: it's so easy to make a guy look like Jordan, by collecting every decent move he's made and creating a mix, yet they can't even get one together that's as good as Gallo's. Now, I've actually watched him play in the ACB league, as well as in the Euroleague. I also saw him in the Olympics. This is my analysis: he has a lot of fancy dribble moves, kind of like a young Jayson Williams, a poor jumpshot, very little jumping ability: probably as much as Duhon's, which he's been able to get away with in the ACB: the interior defense is horrible in this league, and he can pass: big deal.

In tougher leagues, his lack of jumping ability prevents him from scoring inside: I've seen this from him in Euroleague. I don't remember whether he had trouble with this in the Olympics. In the Olympics, he made bad decisions and was turnover prone, in the presence of defense tougher than the ACB stuff he had been used to.

When all is taken into consideration, it's not really clear why he has received all this hype. He lacks offensive skills: can't shoot, can't score inside, except against the softest of defenders, because of his lack of lift; he lacks speed, he lacks power: inability to jump, inability to shed defenders with his body, alla Deron Williams or Stephon Marbury in his prime. Seriously, having watched him play, he reminds me of a taller version of Chris Quinn. He's not in the same category, or "even better," contrary to what tuneraddict once said, as, or than, the best Spanish guard out there: Jose Calderon.

Frankly, this guy might turn out to be good; but I don't think you draft people based on what they might be, leaving out more deserving guys. He should be playing some more Euro basketball, proving, and improving, himself, especially outside of the ACB. But I don't blame the kid: he's taking the hype, spread by a media who don't actually take the time to watch players (do you think Jill Martin actually watches sports?), before repeating what they heard from someone else, and is running with it.

Last edited:

alphad0gz

Rookie
Nothing personal

But if you can't see the BBall genius in Rubio, you have no eye for talent at all. You must be one of those guys that digs Jennings, who by the way, doesn't have half the ability and skill level Rubio does. Keep Chandler and Gallo but give up anyone else to get him. We'd be lucky if he is as good as Gallo. That kid is going to be a star.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
But if you can't see the BBall genius in Rubio, you have no eye for talent at all. You must be one of those guys that digs Jennings, who by the way, doesn't have half the ability and skill level Rubio does. Keep Chandler and Gallo but give up anyone else to get him. We'd be lucky if he is as good as Gallo. That kid is going to be a star.

No, it's YOUR opinion that, because I have no respect for Rubio's game, as it is in its current form, that I have no eye for basketball talent: your opinion doesn't make something true. And it is personal, because one of your main points is my ability to analyze talent.

Furthermore, most people who watch Spanish basketball agree that he's not NBA ready. I wonder if you even watch ACB basketball. I'm Hispanic, speak Spanish and have friends from Spain, and they all believe he's not good enough, as of yet, for this league. It's mostly all of the uninformed people, who only have second hand knowledge of Rubio, and his game, who think he is.

And Gallo sucks, so, if he is as good as Gallo, he sucks. I won't say anything about your "eye," as I don't know you. But you should not be as presumptuous, when it comes to others, in the future.

alphad0gz

Rookie
So neither of you have an eye for talent?

By the way, I have Polish friends and can speak it. It doesn't make me an expert on kielbasa. Rubio has virtually no weakness other than being young. His shooting has improved dramatically, he was DPY in his league, his passing ability is unsurpassed, he makes the game easier for his teammates and his floor vision is one in a million. What is it you see? And Gallinari has big time skills even a blind man could see. Mind telling me what he liabilities are? He will be a 20/7/4 guy who makes his mates better. Why not tell me who you like. Derozan? Jennings? Evans? Nate?

LeFlume

All Star
We don't need a rookie PG. We need a proven PG. I'm sure Ricky Rubio will be a good solid PG but I don't want that. I want a GREAT PG and I don't think Rubio has greatness in him. Solid for sure. Better than Calderon? most likely, but that's not good enough for me. I want a great PG to run my beloved Knicks. A Deron Williams, Chris Paul kind of guy.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Knicks' number one weakness is their lack of interior defense. If the Knicks think drafting Ricky Rubio is going to make up for the team's inability to block a shot, then the same thing that happened this year will happen next year. The Knicks will once again finish with 50 losses. The Knicks were supposed to draft Brook Lopez, last year, but they didn't. They need to draft a shotblocker this year, or they are really going to be in for another lottery season. Only this time, the lottery pick will end up going to the Utah Jazz. The Knicks should take Hasheem Thabeet or Blake Griffin, depending on how low they fall. However, drafting Rubio, a guy who averages 9.8 points per game in the ACB is not a guy you should draft in the top 10, in my opinion.

dave2138

Rotation player
Why do you guys care if we lose 50 again next year? The pick should have nothing to do with what is best for us next year. It has to do with what we need 2010+ since that is the main priority of the team. There will be centers available through trade/FA, there will be Point Guards available through trade/FA.

The draft pick should be focused on who they think is the best player available long term. Obviously, that was the goal last year and they felt long term Gallinari is a better player than Augustin/Lopez. I hope they use the same mentality for this draft instead of drafting for needs.

This team needs a lot, so drafting a center because they need a center isn't the smartest thing to do. Neither is trading Chandler/Gallinari + the pick for a higher pick because then you just add another hole that needs to be filled.

alphad0gz

Rookie
Agree, Dave

I could not care less what Utah gets. It has nothing to do with our future development.

You ALWAYS draft the best player available unless the talent gap is narrow, in which case it is OK to draft by need. Although we need a shotblocker, there isn't a can't miss guy in this draft. Thabeet just plain sucks. He will get punked in the NBA. I've seen him countless times and he is SOFT. There are no others worth drafting in our slot. Rubio has the chance to be better than Nash and who wouldn't want that kind of guy running your team. Nice to want an established star PG but we are not getting one as there are none available. This team is too young to compete for a year or two so what difference does it make if our draft pg needs a couple of years? None. Who cares what Rubio averages? He is a PG, not a SG. His job is not to lead the team in scoring but just lead the team. Jennings numbers are worse yet everyone drools over his "potential". Lopez got passed over because for some reason he dropped. Nine teams were wrong. Nice player but I am not sorry Gallo is a Knick. I see something in him.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
By the way, I have Polish friends and can speak it. It doesn't make me an expert on kielbasa. Rubio has virtually no weakness other than being young. His shooting has improved dramatically, he was DPY in his league, his passing ability is unsurpassed, he makes the game easier for his teammates and his floor vision is one in a million. What is it you see? And Gallinari has big time skills even a blind man could see. Mind telling me what he liabilities are? He will be a 20/7/4 guy who makes his mates better. Why not tell me who you like. Derozan? Jennings? Evans? Nate?

It's ludicrous to compare the fact that I have watched, and am able to comprehend, Spanish language ACB games, read Spanish sports articles, and talk to people who closely follow Spanish basketball, on forums, as well as personally, to your ability to knowledge of ethnic sausages.

Rubio is, as of now, athletically challenged, probably can't even dunk, shoots a set jumpshot, which will get killed in the NBA, overdribbles and, as a result, loses the ball. When in the Olympics, he got exposed for his lack of skills.

And, again, Gallinari stinks, as many people have said on this forum, as well as on others: many of them Italian (another language I speak), where people have said that he was not NBA ready. Clearly, he's a bust. I said that from draft night, and the fans did, too, when they rained boos down on this prima donna, who demanded to be drafted to a place of his choice: NY, as David Stern introduced the pick. Some of you still believe, and that's your future disenchantment to bear, not mine. I'm sure you'll have some defense mechanism to help you deflect the I-told-you-so's that you'll have to hear, when the truth becomes unavoidable.

And lol@Gallinari averaging 20/7/4. This guy's going to disappear in a couple of years, when it becomes clear just how bummy he is. And these are his liabilities, which I've listed on this site, many-a-time: he can't post up, he can't shoot while under pressure, he coughs the ball up, when being guarded, his defense is so bad to the point that he's a liability, he's unable to guard the 4 because of strength issues, unable to guard the 2 or 3 because of speed issues. He is, at best, going to end up a spot up shooter, alla Cappono, on limited minutes.

And, how about you not tell me who I like, from amongst a list you've selected, and, instead, just ask me who I like? If I had the decision, I'd choose the best big man in the draft. Ideally, that'd be Blake Griffin. Thabeet would be the next choice. If they don't end up being that great, fine: my issue would be to die trying to finally get someone that can at least give us some of what big Pat gave us: post presence, size, rebounding and interior D, as well as help D.

First, Isiah refused to do this by not pulling off a trade for Gasol, a guy who led a shitty Griz team to three straight playoffs and could have led us, had we given him better scorers, like Jamal, Steph and Zach, deep into the playoffs. Then, D'Antoni and Walsh got Failurnari: a true bust, with no athleticism, stiff, weird movements and 6'10 with no post game, instead of a real stallion in Brook Lopez.

And Leflume, Calderon is a top 10 point guard. The only guy that matches his foot speed and ability to penetrate is, maybe, Tony Parker.

Last edited:

alphad0gz

Rookie
Your arrogance is astounding

Do you really believe that I have to read spanish news papers and talk to spanish people that watch the games to judge talent? God, how did we ever do it before? We must have depended on people from the country of origin for their analysis. Gasol is very good, not great. Kobe makes all his teammates better.

The fact you would take Thabeet after Griffin says all I need to know about your bball sense.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
It's ludicrous to compare the fact that I have watched, and am able to comprehend, Spanish language ACB games, read Spanish sports articles, and talk to people who closely follow Spanish basketball, on forums, as well as personally, to your ability to knowledge of ethnic sausages.

Rubio is, as of now, athletically challenged, probably can't even dunk, shoots a set jumpshot, which will get killed in the NBA, overdribbles and, as a result, loses the ball. When in the Olympics, he got exposed for his lack of skills.

And, again, Gallinari stinks, as many people have said on this forum, as well as on others: many of them Italian (another language I speak), where people have said that he was not NBA ready. Clearly, he's a bust. I said that from draft night, and the fans did, too, when they rained boos down on this prima donna, who demanded to be drafted to a place of his choice: NY, as David Stern introduced the pick. Some of you still believe, and that's your future disenchantment to bear, not mine. I'm sure you'll have some defense mechanism to help you deflect the I-told-you-so's that you'll have to hear, when the truth becomes unavoidable.

And lol@Gallinari averaging 20/7/4. This guy's going to disappear in a couple of years, when it becomes clear just how bummy he is. And these are his liabilities, which I've listed on this site, many-a-time: he can't post up, he can't shoot while under pressure, he coughs the ball up, when being guarded, his defense is so bad to the point that he's a liability, he's unable to guard the 4 because of strength issues, unable to guard the 2 or 3 because of speed issues. He is, at best, going to end up a spot up shooter, alla Cappono, on limited minutes.

And, how about you not tell me who I like, from amongst a list you've selected, and, instead, just ask me who I like? If I had the decision, I'd choose the best big man in the draft. Ideally, that'd be Blake Griffin. Thabeet would be the next choice. If they don't end up being that great, fine: my issue would be to die trying to finally get someone that can at least give us some of what big Pat gave us: post presence, size, rebounding and interior D, as well as help D.

First, Isiah refused to do this by not pulling off a trade for Gasol, a guy who led a shitty Griz team to three straight playoffs and could have led us, had we given him better scorers, like Jamal, Steph and Zach, deep into the playoffs. Then, D'Antoni and Walsh got Failurnari: a true bust, with no athleticism, stiff, weird movements and 6'10 with no post game, instead of a real stallion in Brook Lopez.

And Leflume, Calderon is a top 10 point guard. The only guy that matches his foot speed and ability to penetrate is, maybe, Tony Parker.

1. Hes only a rookie. i may not be a fan of him either, but u should give him time,

2. Devin Harris is a faster PG than Jose as well....

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
1. Hes only a rookie. i may not be a fan of him either, but u should give him time,

2. Devin Harris is a faster PG than Jose as well....

I can look at him, right now, and tell you that he will be a bust, for the simple fact that he's the #6 pick and will never justify the choice made.

And, having watched both guys, Devin Harris, in no way, matches Calderon in speed. He's probably the better player, though.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Why do you guys care if we lose 50 again next year? The pick should have nothing to do with what is best for us next year. It has to do with what we need 2010+ since that is the main priority of the team. There will be centers available through trade/FA, there will be Point Guards available through trade/FA.

The draft pick should be focused on who they think is the best player available long term. Obviously, that was the goal last year and they felt long term Gallinari is a better player than Augustin/Lopez. I hope they use the same mentality for this draft instead of drafting for needs.

This team needs a lot, so drafting a center because they need a center isn't the smartest thing to do. Neither is trading Chandler/Gallinari + the pick for a higher pick because then you just add another hole that needs to be filled.

You seem to be confident in Donnie Walsh's 2010 plan, so you automatically assume that it is going to work. Just because Walsh says he wants to do a 2010 plan does not mean it is going to be effective. I heard Donnie Walsh talking about not filling needs last year, and apparently you seem to be repeating the exact same thing verbatim.

Drafting a center is not just "filling a need." The Knicks need a center, so that they can become a better shotblocking and rebounding team.

Shotblocking and rebounding is essential to a winning team. Without shotblocking and rebounding, you cannot compete. That is a fact.

The Knicks have no 2010 first round draft pick. The Knicks need to take advantage of their opportunity to draft a center, because there aren't that many quality centers in the NBA. That is why most of the starting centers in the NBA are signed to either long contracts and/or expensive contracts.

Danilo Gallinari has one dimensional talent.

Brook Lopez is going to be one of the best centers in the NBA.

DJ Augustin is going to be one of the best point guards in the NBA.

Drafting Gallinari was a poor move made by management, and that is why Walsh got rid of Balkman and did not keep Patrick Ewing Jr. He wanted to hide the fact that his drafting of a 7th small forward was unnecessary.

1. SF Wilson Chandler
2. SF Renaldo Balkman
3. SF Jared Jeffries
4. SF Quentin Richardson
5. SF Danilo Gallinari
6. SF Patrick Ewing Jr.
7. SF Al Harrington

How many centers do the Knicks have? None of them get any playing time, and one of them is out of shape.
Eddy Curry :lol:
Mouhammad Sene Does he even play?
Courtney Sims Who's that?

Last edited:

LeFlume

All Star
Calderon is not bad, I just don't think he is great, He ranks at #13 according to his numbers at 82 games.Com.

Chris Paul #1, Tony Parker #2, Andre Miller #3 Rajon Rondo #4 and Billups #5

Stats and stats only, Roland Ratings etc etc...

Chris Paul is The Man...

alphad0gz

Rookie
Yep, seven SFs

And Gallo has more talent than all of the rest of them. No response needed. Gallo will show all this coming season.