Donnie end of yr interview (4/17)

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
here's a an audio from interview today with Donnie... a lot discussed..

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=4076814

talks about the season and this off season etc...i'm still listening to it but he was asked which players he thinks fits into Dantoni's system...and he said there's a couple...it's the players that can make their own shots...and listed of Gallo and Chandler....then he sorta threw in Nate and Harrington...then he goes on to say we need defensive minded guys, shot blockers etc...

He's also asked what it means for this off season with 2010 in mind...and Donnie said the closer we get the more 'restricted' it becomes to signing long contracts, becaue that means less for 2010...i (me) don't think we'll be signing any big players this off season...i was thinking we'd sign some young talent this off season, get the foundation going, which i guess is still possible, but it seems Donnie doesn't want any big restrictions, unless as he says, he knows for sure that's who he wants and the right deal comes...then anything is obviously possible.

They talk about Curry, and Donnie says 'his career is on the line'...Donnies is posed a Q 'Lee is a more important player to the team [then Nate]..do you agree' and he basically said, 'not in the way you said it...but big men seem to be harder to come by in the league'...and that Donnie would like to sign both of them, but 'the number has to be right'...

he finished up asking Donnie 'would you feel you didn't accomplish something you needed to accomplish this off season if Duhon is your starting pg come season opener'...Donnie said 'if that were true...he's gotta have more playmakers around him' .. so with that seems like we'll be trading for a possible new pg, or at least some new talent that can create for themselves..

'are you open to moving up on draft night and trying to get up in to top 2 or 3 spots if you don't get it in the lottery' ... Donnie : 'yes. we'll explore everything.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
He also mentioned Iverson as an example of a guy that can make plays outside of the point guard position. I wonder if that was a hint that he may try to sign A.I. or was it just a Freudian slip? A.I. is a guy you could sign to a three year deal and be comfortable with that, even with 2010 approaching. It's not like we can't trade him if it doesn't work out.

Regarding Curry, let's say best case scenario he actually loses 50 lbs and gets in good shape, the most he can be at this point is a reserve player. An in shape Curry would be a nice back up for Mr. Bosh and Danilo. Speaking of Bosh, there's a good chance that he'll be traded a year early. If so, waive bye to Lee.

paris401

Starter
A.I. is a guy you could sign to a three year deal and be comfortable with that, even with 2010 approaching.

AI comfortable... he wasn't in his prime in phila, i'm not sure about denver, but they saw fit to trade him, and i didn't see any smiles when he was coming off the bench with the pistons...

maybe he has mellowed???

Paul1355

All Star
here's a an audio from interview today with Donnie... a lot discussed..

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=4076814

talks about the season and this off season etc...i'm still listening to it but he was asked which players he thinks fits into Dantoni's system...and he said there's a couple...it's the players that can make their own shots...and listed of Gallo and Chandler....then he sorta threw in Nate and Harrington...then he goes on to say we need defensive minded guys, shot blockers etc...

He's also asked what it means for this off season with 2010 in mind...and Donnie said the closer we get the more 'restricted' it becomes to signing long contracts, becaue that means less for 2010...i (me) don't think we'll be signing any big players this off season...i was thinking we'd sign some young talent this off season, get the foundation going, which i guess is still possible, but it seems Donnie doesn't want any big restrictions, unless as he says, he knows for sure that's who he wants and the right deal comes...then anything is obviously possible.

They talk about Curry, and Donnie says 'his career is on the line'...Donnies is posed a Q 'Lee is a more important player to the team [then Nate]..do you agree' and he basically said, 'not in the way you said it...but big men seem to be harder to come by in the league'...and that Donnie would like to sign both of them, but 'the number has to be right'...

he finished up asking Donnie 'would you feel you didn't accomplish something you needed to accomplish this off season if Duhon is your starting pg come season opener'...Donnie said 'if that were true...he's gotta have more playmakers around him' .. so with that seems like we'll be trading for a possible new pg, or at least some new talent that can create for themselves..

'are you open to moving up on draft night and trying to get up in to top 2 or 3 spots if you don't get it in the lottery' ... Donnie : 'yes. we'll explore everything.

DOnnie mentioned what he is focusing on and said that shot blocking and defense is what we need to improve on first, WHICH IS GREAT because we suck at defense and shot blocking.

Then he said that getting players that can create their own shot comes next and make other players better. Donnie wants a defensive team that has fluid passing and with a team like that we can easily make the playoffs if we make some moves or get one really good shooter and shotblocker.

donchris

AI comfortable... he wasn't in his prime in phila, i'm not sure about denver, but they saw fit to trade him, and i didn't see any smiles when he was coming off the bench with the pistons...

maybe he has mellowed???

A.I. actually played well in Denver. For a while there were talks that Anthony could have been traded due to his lack of effort on the defensive end. Of course this turned out not to be the case I believe because of the age difference between A.I. and Anthony. But 'if' Iverson were to come to NY he wouldn't ride the bench so that wouldn't be an issue. I don't think any team other then the Pistons would bench Iverson.

Kiyaman

Legend
A.I. actually played well in Denver. For a while there were talks that Anthony could have been traded due to his lack of effort on the defensive end. Of course this turned out not to be the case I believe because of the age difference between A.I. and Anthony. But 'if' Iverson were to come to NY he wouldn't ride the bench so that wouldn't be an issue. I don't think any team other then the Pistons would bench Iverson.

The Pistons is an embarrassement in the playoffs as a 8th seeded team.
Rasheed and Mcdyess is great role players to bring off the bench for 18 to 24 minutes a game....they are not 32 mpg starters anymore.

A.I. was wise to leave well enough alone in Detroit....the Pistons were Chuancy Billups Team the last 6 years.

Donnie is talk talk talk....if he pull another Danillo Gallinari out of his hat this offseason his 3 year contract maybe cut in half...

Bum Isiah won 39 games his first season and 33 wins his second season.
Donnie Walsh won 32 games his first season and this offseason will be the outcome of next season...

donchris

Rasheed and Mcdyess is great role players to bring off the bench for 18 to 24 minutes a game....they are not 32 mpg starters anymore.

A.I. was wise to leave well enough alone in Detroit....the Pistons were Chuancy Billups Team the last 6 years.

Donnie is talk talk talk....if he pull another Danillo Gallinari out of his hat this offseason his 3 year contract maybe cut in half...

Donnie Walsh won 32 games his first season and this offseason will be the outcome of next season...

We need to give Walsh some wiggle room. If you believe that Thomas set us back then you've got to allow the new guy some clean up time. Change doesn't happen over night. Walsh isn't responsible for anything prior to this season. His biggest move was trading Randolph/Crawford, two of our best players for planters peanuts and cap relief. Did anyone really expect us to be good after that. Take Kobe and Gasol off of the Lakers roster and see how far they get.

I'm grading starting now. I didn't think D'Antoni was the best coaching option for this team, but out of all available head coaches he probably was. That aside we should be grading Walsh on how he handles the Lee/Robinson situation. Does he resign both, keep one and package the other for even more cap relief, or does he trade one (Lee or Robinson) in a package for a shot blocker (Stoudemire or Bosh).

Cap relief is important and I doubt Walsh will make any moves to undermine the trades that have been made. After all, trading our two best was an equivalent to tanking the season. The 'wait next year' philosophy wont work. His next trades have to make the team better and we have to start winning more games in order for the changes to be viewed as successful.

It's just been game one in the series but Detroit is done. I think they'll probably beat Chicago in 7 but there's no way they make it out of the second round. I would have kept Iverson and packaged Hamilton, but that's just me.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
Donnie is 'talk talk talk'?? wth you talkin bout? I don't think the knicks fans, or mgmt, could ask for anything more then what he's already done...yes if we had made the playsoffs (and been knocked out by cavs) it would have been sorta fun to see, but everyone knew we weren't going anywhere this yr...Donnie can't go on the court and shoot him self, and given the players we've got, and the contracts they have (and had), he's done a spectacular job given the terrible circumstances he came in with..clearing the space, and giving this team hope...hahah judging Donnie based off of who he picks in this draft is a joke...he's already done more to both the mentality of this franchise, and the reality of what it'll become next off season, to keep him around a lonnng time...can't think of anyone i'd rather want right now then Donnie to get the job done

I do agree that this next season is when we can start to judge him...but then again, we are way worse off, players skill wise, right now, then we were this time last season...still got the same scrub players...but it's Donnies job to fix that, so hopefully he'll make a few trades and get some players we want around for a long time this off season...juding him with the scrubs we have is hard, but this off season is important to change that...I don' think we'll be getting anyone big this off season, if we choose to trade Nate / Lee, hopefully we can get some good talent in return, rather then just good contracts...

As for Detroit, yea they are falling apart and will likely be trying to get a new look next yr, but i don't have any desire to get anyone on that team that theyd be selling...besides mayb Hamilton...Wallace is old and everyone else it too...we don't need any old players like them on this future team...

hopefully we can make some smart moves this off season, i don't think anything too big will be done, we may lean more in the direction of tryin to get rid of Curry packaging Lee/Nate type deal...or we may try to get some actual players in return for them...Donnie is saying that he'll look at anything /everything, but likely won't be signing any big contracts, unless they make sense...hopefully we can get someone we're happy about in return with Nate/Lee, to join Gallo, and Chandler, for the current likely future of the team..

Kiyaman

Legend
Here is just some small things that took place this season that the average NBA owners would have errupted....especially Mavs owner Cuban.

From a Financial bussinessman look at this past season Donnie Walsh wasted way over $50M dollars of the Knick organization money by this season performance from Marbury, Curry, Mobley, Malik, Jerome, Gallo, Roberson, and Balkman's buy out (DNP).
I thought trading two MLE contracts for Larry Hughes was an aw'ight move but it turned out to be a devastating disaster to this Knick team....When the Larry Hughes trade went down the Knicks record was 23-31 and the Chicago Bulls record was 23-30....getting rid of a Lockerroom & Practice Cancer-Player Larry Hughes off the Bulls roster had the Chicago Bulls team finish the season with a 41-41 season record....plus player to player trust in their new coach Del Negro.

Our coach Dantoni paid no attention to why the Bulls DNP Hughes the last 18 games before the trade or how putting Larry Hughes in the rotation threw a wrench into Nate & Duhon performance yet coach Dantoni put Larry Hughes in the starting lineup his 3rd Knick game giving Hughes 35 minutes of playingtime so the Knicks could go on their longest losing streak of the season (did someone mention TANKING for a lottery pick).

2009 Top 10 draft picks

Blake Griffin 6.10 PF Oklahoma Rough House Carlos Boozer
1) Ricky Rubio 6.4 PG Spain
2) Hasheem Thabeet 7.3 C U.Conn
3) Ed Davis 6.10 PF N.C. Freshmen
4) Greg Monroe 6.11 PF Georgetown multi-talented big
5) James Harden 6.4 SG Arizona Big time Scorer
6) Willie Warren 6.4 PG Oklahoma Freshmen
7) Al Faroug Aminu 6.8 SF Wake Forest
8) Jordan Hill 6.9 PF Arizona
9) Demar Derozan 6.6 SG USC athletic scorer
Ty Lawson 5.11 PG N.C. speedy point leader

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com

I agree. I find it funny how he says he wants to improve the team's shotblocking, but when Brook Lopez was available, he drafted the no defense Gallinari.

If Walsh is serious about improving the team, he needs to draft either Blake Griffin, Greg Monroe, or Hasheem Thabeet. If they're not available, by the time the Knicks are up for drafting, he needs to either trade up for one of those guys, or draft a solid shooting guard that can replace bum ass Quentin Snitchardson and Mickey Mouse Hughes.

Kiyaman

Legend
We need to give Walsh some wiggle room. If you believe that Thomas set us back then you've got to allow the new guy some clean up time. Change doesn't happen over night. Walsh isn't responsible for anything prior to this season. His biggest move was trading Randolph/Crawford, two of our best players for planters peanuts and cap relief. Did anyone really expect us to be good after that. Take Kobe and Gasol off of the Lakers roster and see how far they get.

I'm grading starting now. I didn't think D'Antoni was the best coaching option for this team, but out of all available head coaches he probably was. That aside we should be grading Walsh on how he handles the Lee/Robinson situation. Does he resign both, keep one and package the other for even more cap relief, or does he trade one (Lee or Robinson) in a package for a shot blocker (Stoudemire or Bosh).

Cap relief is important and I doubt Walsh will make any moves to undermine the trades that have been made. After all, trading our two best was an equivalent to tanking the season. The 'wait next year' philosophy wont work. His next trades have to make the team better and we have to start winning more games in order for the changes to be viewed as successful.

It's just been game one in the series but Detroit is done. I think they'll probably beat Chicago in 7 but there's no way they make it out of the second round. I would have kept Iverson and packaged Hamilton, but that's just me.

Donnie Walsh grading started when he hired a coach and drafted the best 6th player in the draft.
Coach Rick Carlisle showed to be the best fundamental offense/defense coach on the market.
PG/SG-Bayless, PG-Augustine, and C-Brook Lopez tournament performance showed to be the best 6th pick players in the draft.

The Detroit Pistons President Dumars traded the teams best player-coach-leader Chuancy Billups for cap room in the 2009 offseason with the hope of building his next dynasty through two offseasons.

donchris

Donnie Walsh grading started when he hired a coach and drafted the best 6th player in the draft.
Coach Rick Carlisle showed to be the best fundamental offense/defense coach on the market.
PG/SG-Bayless, PG-Augustine, and C-Brook Lopez tournament performance showed to be the best 6th pick players in the draft.

The Detroit Pistons President Dumars traded the teams best player-coach-leader Chuancy Billups for cap room in the 2009 offseason with the hope of building his next dynasty through two offseasons.

You're comparing a team that's rebuilding to an already established Dallas Mavericks. Not exactly an equal comparison. The only personnel changes the Mavs made were with the coaching staff and they still may not make it out of the first round. Sorry coach but I'm not following you on this one.

The example you've made only proves my point. Dumar didn't make the A.I. trade to build a dynasty. He did it to get under the cap. Have you seen Billups' contract? Everyone is trying to get under the cap by 2010 not just the Knicks. Showing financial restraint is a major change of direction form the past 5 years. Is your argument that Walsh drafted one mediocre player over another mediocre player? Again, unequal comparison. Brook wasn't injured and hasn't gone under the knife. You may be jumping the gun, just a little bit. Let's see what moves Walsh makes over the summer and how Galinari performs next season.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Who gives a **** about Brooke Lopez. Go and join netsonline.com if you think he's so ****ing marvelous. Support your team you whining panty wearers. I see his name in more threads than that of any Knick players.

Retards.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
yea seriously. i don't see much coming from lopez anyway...he has a quick affect on the team when he joins, but thats it...he aint go grow into one the best big men in the country... Gallo hasn't had the same immediate numbers, but his potential is much brighter then Lopez..

Donnie has more important stuff to worry about then last yrs draft, or this yrs for that matter...we'll pick who is best available at our likely 8th pick and move on letting Donnie work his magic building us a respectable team.

* might be time to change that header graphic from Chandler Nate to Gallo Chandler haha