Thread: why we shouldn't draft a pg(lebron related)

Hybrid View

Default why we shouldn't draft a pg(lebron related)

Why Knicks fans should be rooting for Cavs

April 20, 2009

The Toronto Raptors will offer Chris Bosh a contract extension this summer which gives them the option to trade the All-Star forward should Bosh decide to reject a new contract.
    You have to believe that the Cleveland Cavaliers will try the same with LeBron… although they have no plans of trading him if LeBron says no.
    If you are of the belief that LeBron James will be coming to New York next summer then by all means you should be pulling for the Cleveland Cavaliers to win their first-ever NBA title.
    The thinking is that LeBron would be more inclined to chase his dream of becoming the world’s first billion dollar athlete in New York if he were to leave behind a title with the Cavs. There are those who believe that LeBron wouldn’t want to split from his hometown without having raised a championship banner.
    If you are a Knicks fan, you’d like to see LeBron win this year and fall short next season, perhaps even a second-round elimination. That could put him in the right mindset to come to Madison Square Garden.
    I’ve always felt that LeBron would stay but when you talk to people close to him - business people - the majority of them believe he’ll be a Knick in two years. Of course, there are some people who also believe that Eddy Curry will be in shape next season.
    I have Cleveland reaching the NBA Finals but losing to the Lakers. I don’t see Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson losing for a second straight year. Kobe is still the best player on the planet and will have extra motivation assuming that LeBron is named MVP.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

now, while i like rubio's game, he isn't the end all be all of point guards.
    lebron james is practically magic incarnate on the court; he can be the point this team needs.for this upcoming season, plenty of guys can be signed as stop gaps.i see the cavs winning it all this year, cause he's just that good.
    now some of you may defer, but you can front all you want now, when you damn well now you'd love to have him on this team.

and if he doesn't come to nyc after next season, it won't be the end of the world.

i wouldn't be against trading that lotto pick to the trollblazers for rudy fernandez.
    if not,draft the player with the most upside.either way this team is going to the playoffs next year.(at least i think so)

So we shouldn't draft a PG, even if a surefire superstar is available (Rubio), because of the off-chance we might sign a SF next year?
    Last edited by JayJ44; Apr 21, 2009 at 20:36.

jesus.

when people who actually know about basketball compare lebron, they compare him to magic( a 6-9 pg) and to Oscar Robertson(a 6-5 pg).just because the guy is a 6-9 mack truck does not mean all he is capable of doing is sf things.he is a point forward.you have a problem with lebron running the point because TECHNICALLY he's a sf, but you call rubio a surefire superstar.smh.

lebron is a facilitator.just look at his team.clearly, they have two or three could be or would be all stars.like l.a. or boston. again, smh.

28 PPG 7 REB 7 AST.

as usual, **** needs to be explained to the know it alls on this site time and time again.

My point was that we shouldn't base our draft decisions on Lebron, just because he might come here. That's retarded. You draft the best player available.

Besides, you talk as if Lebron can only play the point. His finishing and scoring are his greatest strengths. Giving Lebron another ballhandler alllows him to play to his strengths. It doesn't make sense to have a scorer like Lebron to be your PG. Why do you think the Cavs have been so successful since Mo Williams came to the Cavs?

Originally Posted by JayJ44
    My point was that we shouldn't base our draft decisions on Lebron, just because he might come here. That's retarded. You draft the best player available.

Besides, you talk as if Lebron can only play the point. His finishing and scoring are his greatest strengths. Giving Lebron another ballhandler alllows him to play to his strengths. It doesn't make sense to have a scorer like Lebron to be your PG. Why do you think the Cavs have been so successful since Mo Williams came to the Cavs?

first of, bpa won't necessarily be a point guard.secondly, you make it seem like magic and oscar, never average more points than wat a pg is supposed to average(what ever the hell that is).in this offense he'll have plenty of opportunities to score.

lebron james at point would give the best points in the league nightmares.
    while they double team him, i can see gallinari and chandler tearing defenses to shreds.

and if he doesn't come we can always draft or sign someone.D'antoni made nash an mvp.he made bumass duhon decent for as long as he could, and he's at best a back up.

Can you imagine the frenzy that is going to occur this time next year?

The media is going to have a ball.

The Knicks 2010 plans and their plan to at least lure someone to NY is going to depend on what occurs in the next few months.

Going to be interesting to say the least.

Originally Posted by ANU
    first of, bpa won't necessarily be a point guard.secondly, you make it seem like magic and oscar, never average more points than wat a pg is supposed to average(what ever the hell that is).in this offense he'll have plenty of opportunities to score.

lebron james at point would give the best points in the league nightmares.
    while they double team him, i can see gallinari and chandler tearing defenses to shreds.
    I know the best player available might not be a PG. But you're saying, even if a PG is the best player available, we shouldn't draft him because we might get Lebron. It's idiotic to pass up on incredible talent like Rubio, Lawson, or Jennings (for example) because a player we don't have yet can play that position.

Of course he'll have opportunities to score. But as a PG, his main job would be to distribute the ball. Once again, his main strength is scoring and finishing. It doesn't make sense to make him mainly a distributor, when he's best at scoring and finishing, and he should be concentrated on scoring and finishing.

Lebron gives any opponent nightmares, it doesn't matter the position. Are you saying SF's don't need to double Lebron? The best defensive players in the league can't play Lebron one-on-one.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

What he said

clean my bong? nah, i don't smoke.i'd actually like to reproduce someday.

lol at the love of mediocrity on this board, these are the same jerkoffs who where jizzing in their spiderman underwear for ty lawson when unc won the ncaa title.these are the same people who always complain about the guys this team passed on.like not doing enough for mayo.no, upside doesn't mean ****.
    the **** outta here.

if lebron does come here, where the **** is he gonna play if you have gallo and chandler? his handle is better than both.HIS VISION, IS BETTER THAN BOTH. but alas, agree with each other all you want.you dudes are all repressed and depressed.and every year is the same ****.
    some of you actually defended isaish thompson.
    oh boy.....
    LEBRON WOULD EASILY AVERAGE A TRIPLE DOUBLE IN THIS SYSTEM, EASILY.

continue.....................

Veteran

Originally Posted by ANU
    jesus.

when people who actually know about basketball compare lebron, they compare him to magic( a 6-9 pg) and to Oscar Robertson(a 6-5 pg).just because the guy is a 6-9 mack truck does not mean all he is capable of doing is sf things.he is a point forward.you have a problem with lebron running the point because TECHNICALLY he's a sf, but you call rubio a surefire superstar.smh.

lebron is a facilitator.just look at his team.clearly, they have two or three could be or would be all stars.like l.a. or boston. again, smh.

28 PPG 7 REB 7 AST.

as usual, **** needs to be explained to the know it alls on this site time and time again.
    No it dont. The Knicks are a...ssed-out with a losing 20 year President and a one dimensional coach. Look at our ex-G.M. President Ernie Grundfeld on the Washington Wizards with his 19 win season and all the posibilities he have this offseason into making the Wizards reach the Eastern Conference Finals in the 2009-10 season.

ANU....do u know anything about "Jordans" 6 NBA championships? and who was the PG of each of those championship rings?
    Jordan & Pippin was the best tandem of Point-Fowards ever in the history of the NBA. And having combo-guards Hodges & Paxon their first 3 championship and combo-guards Steve Kerr & Ron Harper in the next 3 championships was hard to figure out who really was the PG on the Bulls team in each series of the playoffs....the Phil Jackson Triangle vs varies of oponents in series changed in different rounds of the playoffs.

Lebron James has the closet thing to Jordan with combo-guards West & Mo in his rotation this season....signing FA Point-Foward Artest this offseason will guarantee Lebron James a 2009-10 Championship Ring.

Lebron could make Billions hooking up with D.Wade in Miami or Rookie D.Rose in Chicago...

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    No it dont. The Knicks are a...ssed-out with a losing 20 year President and a one dimensional coach. Look at our ex-G.M. President Ernie Grundfeld on the Washington Wizards with his 19 win season and all the posibilities he have this offseason into making the Wizards reach the Eastern Conference Finals in the 2009-10 season.

ANU....do u know anything about "Jordans" 6 NBA championships? and who was the PG of each of those championship rings?
    Jordan & Pippin was the best tandem of Point-Fowards ever in the history of the NBA. And having combo-guards Hodges & Paxon their first 3 championship and combo-guards Steve Kerr & Ron Harper in the next 3 championships was hard to figure out who really was the PG on the Bulls team in each series of the playoffs....the Phil Jackson Triangle vs varies of oponents in series changed in different rounds of the playoffs.

Lebron James has the closet thing to Jordan with combo-guards West & Mo in his rotation this season....signing FA Point-Foward Artest this offseason will guarantee Lebron James a 2009-10 Championship Ring.

Lebron could make Billions hooking up with D.Wade in Miami or Rookie D.Rose in Chicago...
    MAYBE SO kiyaman, but bringing a chip to new york would be different.he knows that.which is why he can't stop gushing about it(pause for the children) everytime he's here. he counts down the months to his free agency.this franchise has been irrelevant for almost 10 years, and it's still one of the most popular.

considering this coach's offense, wouldn't a longer lineup(pause for the children again) of james fernandez chandler gallinari with a camby, or a wallace, or a tyson chandler be better defensively?

of course,he could easily resign with the cavs.I'm just saying, we shouldn't draft a pg because we need one, when they're might be a couple of players with a higher upside at another position.plenty could be had thru free agency, or late in the draft
    (buying a pick). at 8, it's a reach to me.
    now if we get a top 2 pick you pick rubio.that's a given.giving up the house for him is foolish.
    Last edited by ANU; Apr 22, 2009 at 11:04.

it's all moot point. we ain't getting Rubio. we have a better chance landing the obvious better player James anyway, so tbh, i don't care.

Originally Posted by ANU
    jesus.

28 PPG 7 REB 7 AST.

1) People who know basketball dont compare lebron with magic or oscar YET They merely say that when everything its said and done and his career its over he could be there or better( he is that good).

2) Although lebron played some Pg in high school he is a SF in nba but I agree with you that he is a great facilitor. Beside that how you asume lebron wants to play Pg IF HE EVER COMES HERE. He did not showed that desire in cleveland and is not like D'antogny will or can say you play PG for my team or DNP

3) As for the stats that you show to prove he s a natural PG in the nba save it.

Magic Jonhson (recognized PG not assumed) 19.5 PPG, 7.2 RPG, and 11.2APG

Oscar Robertson (same as above) 25.7PPG, 7.5 RPG, 9.5 APG

Lebron James (SF with good passing skills and vision) 27.5PPG, 7RPG, 6.7APG

Larry Bird (Combo forward with the same skills) 24.3PPG, 10RPG, 6.3APG

I dont think anyone thought Larry Bird was a PG in Magic or Oscar mold.

So i think we should draft (or at least try) Rubio or the best availble PG or SG
    and lets worry about what possition lebron plays IF HE EVER COMES HERE(I hope so ) for 2010.

Thumbs down Clean your bong.

at 8 boards a game, keeping Lebron on the perimeter as a defender is not a bright move. Passing's his best facet, but being the main distributor isn't gonna work.

He'll have the ball enough as it is and is better on the wing than in the middle (without the ball) on a break. In a high pace offense he'd be better to receive a pass in a 7 second system than just dribble for 6 and jack a shot.

As is now with the Cavs, a shooting point man is our best call. If Lebron were to come here, having a good passing/shooting pg, Gallo at the 3 or 2 and or Lebron at the 3 or 2 would give you passing class throughout the back-court and around the perimeter.

Lebron at the 1 is possible, but at 250-260lbs he should be breaking ribs in the lane and bowling over screens on set plays along the baseline more than fairying about with a sub 200lb point guard on defense.

Don't even bother bringing Magic Johnson in as a retort. That's old news.

Lebron at the point is a very questionable call & as to whether he plays for us or not? I'll go with a 30% - 70% chance.

Draft a good point guard while you have the chance Donnie.