Countdown to the 2009 NBA Draft Lottery

sg8

Benchwarmer
the city needs playoffs and the knicks need brandon jennings...do we have a real shot in getting him???

ANU

Starter
john wall added nc central to his list of schools.he needs to say **** school and see if he's eligible for the nba draft.

dave2138

Rotation player
yes we do and it's really likely as well

Nah, the knicks have 0 shot at Brandon Jennings. He looks like a lock to be somewhere between #4 and 6. The knicks have I think a 10% chance to have a top 3 pick. Other than that they should be 8th, with a chance someone worse than us moves up and we move down to 9th.

Here are the knicks % for each pick

#1 2.8%
#2 3.3%
#3 3.9%
#4-7 0%
#8 72.4%
#9 16.8%
#10 0.8%

That would be insane if Jennings slipped to us, but I can't see him getting passed the Minnesota or Memphis picks at 5 and 6.

#8 pick should be interesting, as there are a lot of different type of players the knicks can go after. I am expecting 1 of Lawson, Evans or Derozan.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Nah, the knicks have 0 shot at Brandon Jennings. He looks like a lock to be somewhere between #4 and 6. The knicks have I think a 10% chance to have a top 3 pick. Other than that they should be 8th, with a chance someone worse than us moves up and we move down to 9th.

Here are the knicks % for each pick

#1 2.8%
#2 3.3%
#3 3.9%
#4-7 0%
#8 72.4%
#9 16.8%
#10 0.8%

That would be insane if Jennings slipped to us, but I can't see him getting passed the Minnesota or Memphis picks at 5 and 6.

#8 pick should be interesting, as there are a lot of different type of players the knicks can go after. I am expecting 1 of Lawson, Evans or Derozan.

I do think we have a chance at Jennings( I think 30% yes, 70% no). He is not going to be a top 3 pick. More like a 4-10 pick depending how teams will pick in the draft. If they pick based on his play in the last year he will be available at#8. Based on talent and potential he will be gone( most likely #3-6 pick). Based on teams needs he will go anywhere from #5 to #10.

I dont know what the draft order will be(most likely will stay the same as today) but let s take a look at each team ahead of us.

Sacramento
They need help at the point (and everywhere else except SG) but will not pass Griffin for sure. If they decide to go for a PG (highly unlikely) they will trade down to #2 and pick Rubio (not likely to pick him first). Chances they pick Jennings or trade down for him zero. Most likely pick Griffin

Washington
This is our best shoot to move up in the draft and get rubio. They dont need rubio (or jennings). This is arenas team as they broke the bank for him last year. Besides their weakest position is SG. Most likely they will trade down and pick up a ready to play SG( Harden, Evans). With a healthy Arenas and a ready to play SG they are a playoff team. Arenas, Harden, Butler, Jamison, Haywood(McGee?) = 2010 playoff. Chances they get Jennings zero. Most likely pick Rubio?

Clippers

They signed B Davis last year and will be hard for them to trade him (since hes injury prone). They will most likely to pick Thabet and trade Kaman. If they want to go with a PG swaping picks with Washington looks better. Chances they get Jennings 5%-10% ( just because you never know with the clippers). Most likely pick Thabeet.

Oklahoma

They already have their PG of the future in Westbrook. They will pick up either a SG ( Harden, DeRozan?) or a big man (Thabeet if available or Hill)
Chanches they pick Jennings almost zero. Most likely pick Jordan Hill.

Timberwolfs

This is the first team that will take a good look at Jennings with their #5 pick. They need help at 3 positions and PG is one of them. Teflair is a decent back up but not a starter and Foye is more of combo guard not a pure PG. It will be hard for them to pass harden but if they pick with their brain a pure PG is their choice. Since rubio will be gone Jennings will the best option for them but they have a history of bad moves in drafts so I'm not sure if they will pick him. Chances they pick Jennings 50%. Most likely pick Harden.

Memphis

Only position for them that need the most help is PG. Conley is a decent PG but will be more suited as a back up for them. The question is are they ready to pull the plug on Conley( he s only 21 years old) They will for sure improve at the point by drafting Jenning but might look at his production last year in Europe and decide to keep Conley at the point and pick a ready to play combo guard( Tyreke Evans). Chances they pick Jennings 70%. Most likely pick Jennings.

Warriors

If jennings is there for them they could pick him and move Monta Eliss at the SG but I dont think thats what they will do. I think they still see Monta as thier PG of the future and try to pick for potential (DeRozan?) talent (Evans?). Although is unlikely I wont be surprised if they go for Curry since he match up good with their style of play. Chances they pick up Jennings 40%. Most likely pick Tyreke Evans.

NEW YORK KNICKS

There is no secret we need our point guard of the future ( or a center but Thabeet will be gone by then and I dont really like him anyway) and after Rubio, Jennings is the next best thing as a pure PG. We will be lucky to get him at #8 but there is a chance that he will be on the board when we pick (like I said about 30%). If jenninigs is gone I think Tyreke should be our next option and then Lawson. DeRozan have a lot of potential but I dont think he s ready (yet) to be a starter in NBA. Also Curry can be a good fit in Dantogny ofense(I dont think will be the next jj) but the same like the Warriors #7-8 pick is a bit high for him. Chances we get Jenning 30%. Most likely pick Lawson.

PS. I think we actualy have a better chance to end up with rubio than jennings and here are few reasons.

1. his agent is Dan Fegan
2. although he said he will play for whomever will draft him( but will like NY or LA) I just dont see him giving up most of his first 2 years sallary for his buyout to play for a small market team. Also I dont see washington paying 5+mill sallary (2 pick ) for someone that they dont need right the away and will probably never play for them in the future.
3. He could have come in the 2010 draft and still be the #1 or 2 pick and a smaller buyout but decided to come out this year.( Coincedence that NY dont have a 2010 pick and LA wont pick in the lottery?) There are more reasons but that it could be a whole new thread.

As a conclusion this is not how the draft will play out and I dont consider myelf an expert or anything. Is just my opinion.

sg8

Benchwarmer
i'm not sure,but i have the feeling that jennings will be a better fit for the new york knicks than rubio or anyone else...i mean he kinda reminds me of walt frazier with his throwback style and flashy game and i think he will be ready for the knicks immediately because of his european experience and for the city of new york because of his overall style...any opinions??

dre48ny

Rotation player
Yeah man, excited about this one cause it's packed with talent. We should be able to get a baller for a long time to come. Time is flying!!!

Paul1355

All Star
Here's the top choices

With Danillo Gallinari coming back 100%, we should not get a PF unless he can play the 5 spot well and has a good enough physical game to play it. I liked Greg Monroe and Earl Clark but if we have a choice, we should go for a SG, C, or PG.

Point guards: Jennings is still a question mark because of his skinney built and because our last draft pick was a Euro league player.
John Wall, if he enters this draft, should be looked at by the Knicks.
Ty Lawson should come after Jennings and Wall

If Donnie wants a big man: Of course with absolutely no big men we should resign Wilcox to one year and somehow get BJ Mullens being that Thabeet will be gone already.

And we need a guard that can take over games....Nate might be gone and i like Hughes as a starter so having a guy like Demar DeRozen, who has HUGE upside and freakish athletic ability would be amazing on the Knicks and make a name for himself quickly. Guaranteed if DeRozen is picked that he would be our starting SG in his second year and making a strong impact.

We need to fill in the weak spots....Center is the #1 problem we have....getting another PG or SG to back up Hughes or Duhon is the #2 priority so look for Donnie to target those areas. Also the fact that Duhon and Hughes might be gone after 2010 due to their contracts expiring.

Donnie might draft the PG or SG of our future.

sg8

Benchwarmer
so if u had to choose between Wall and Jennings for our next great pg,who would you pick?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2009/mockdraft

lottery.jpg

closest i got^

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
after Griffin and Rubio the players i would be happy if the knicks got are:

Ty Lawson, PG- gym rat and he's NBA ready wants to better, and will develop into a Deron Williams type PG.

Brandon Jennings, PG- Tony Parker mold pg with cat like quickness and sick handles, has a good jumpshot already just needs to get a more NBA ready body and have more intensity defensively he has the makings of a great perimeter defender. he's gonna be a superstar

Jrue Holiday, PG- Russell Westbrook of this draft he does everything and has huge upside could become a Billups type pg, a great leader who does a little bit of everything.

Tyreke Evan, PG/SG- Joe Johnson tyoe player who could handle the pg role and has an nba ready body and could produce immediately. just needs to work on shot selection and improve consistency

DeMar DeRozan, SG- sick athlete and is nba ready and has a good jumpshot already just needs to be more aggressive and take advantage of his size and body( no homo) he has the makings of becoming as sick player in the NBA

all these players are likely picks so with either one of those i will be happy.

we trade for a C preferably Chandler and our team will look good going into next season.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Ty Lawson is only 5'9 and should never be compare to Deron Williams. Some here think that Lawson will be such a high pick when he is not. I just don't see it happening and the Knicks are not getting him. If they do I'll be shocked if our team considers him a lottery pick. He is Top 20 but not a Top 10. This is my observation of his which doesn't mean much, but one should wonder how such a small point guard would fair with the physicality of the league.

metrocard

Legend
Ty Lawson is only 5'9 and should never be compare to Deron Williams. Some here think that Lawson will be such a high pick when he is not. I just don't see it happening and the Knicks are not getting him. If they do I'll be shocked if our team considers him a lottery pick. He is Top 20 but not a Top 10. This is my observation of his which doesn't mean much, but one should wonder how such a small point guard would fair with the physicality of the league.

If Ty Lawson is 5"9, then Deron Williams is 6".

Lawson is 5"11-6"
Williams is 6"2-6"3

Lawson is top 10 quality and ready to produce unlike guys like Jennings, DeRozan and others.
Do your research.

JayJ44

Starter
Lawson is 6'0, and height is overrated anyway. He's around the same height as CP3, and he does fine for himself.

Lawson is the fastest dude in this draft, excellent defense, good passer, excellent slasher, good shooter, and he's a winner. What else could you want from your PG? He would be perfect for this system too. He's the 2nd best PG in this draft, after Rubio.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
The shot that Lawson he gets off in college will get blocked in the next level. I see him as TJ Ford type point guard and he has alot of potential. But some think he will be a superstar type point guard at 5'9 and I just don't see it. We are already getting abused inside, do you guys want to soft in the perimeter too. His arms are so small compare to a guy who I truly hate Rondo (huge hands and arms at 6'9).

I want somebody to be a pest at the backcourt, who reaches and swipes at guards all game long versus really good guards. Derrick Rose and Rondo are in that class. Lawson will get post up all day long and I really question some decision that some here will do if they were our general manager. Ouch...