View Poll Results: What should we do with David Lee?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Re-sign him

8 57.14%
  • Trade him

6 42.86%
  • Let him walk

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21 Reasons Not to Overpay David Lee

I never heard anything about him retiring. If it's true, I guess he's out of the question then lol.

Couldn't we sign him for a 1 year deal for the MLE, if he'd agree to it? That would be ideal. Having him on our team next year, and his contract expires before 2010.

There aren't gonna be a lot of options for him this off season. Only 3 teams have cap space (Detroit, Memphis, and Thunder), and most teams aren't willing to pay the luxury tax for a guy like him.

ive been sayin this for months, trade Lee and possibly even chandler while their value is high, esp. Lee

im thinkin maybe they could do Lee and Hughes for a solid C and backup PF for harrington, draft 6-5/6-6 SG and we're set for playoffs

Veteran

Wallace and Iverson are FA anyway, so the Knicks won't be able to get them.
    This offseason....if Dumars is not going to offer Rasheed Wallace a future in the Piston organization after he hang-up his sneakers....next season one of these NBA teams (playoff contenders) will sign Rasheed to come off the bench as one of their bigmen.

The Knicks would be wise to sign AI to a one year contract if they lose Nate to the FA market.
    AI & Duhon would make the right tandem with 3rd season SF-Chandler as STARTERS. Who knows....maybe AI could get Hughes to start playing defense and stop shooting the ball.
    Hopefully, the Knicks will draft one of the Big-Guards (Henderson or Terrence).

When the question comes to Lee and Robinson would accept 6-8 mil to play on a winning team..I kind of disagree. Lee and Robinson know there is a 2010+ plan and I think they genuinely mean it when they say they want to be here when it turns around. This doesn't mean they will take less to stay here, but I think their 1st choice would be NY. It doesn't matter anyway since the Knicks can match any offer another team makes to keep them.
    Lee & Nate want to be in playoffs NEXT-SEASON....Donnie Walsh 2010 Plan has the Knicks in the playoffs 2 or 3 seasons from now.
    Lee's agent made a wise move and was serious about it before the season when he put out to resign with the Knicks will cost $10M....the Knicks playoff future did not look good at the time, and Lee's agent want some playoff experience on Lee's resume.
    I'm sure Lee would be willing to sign a 2 year contract for $11M on a playoff team.

Ariza will probably get a similar contract to Shane Battier I assume.. 6,7 mil per year 4,5 years. I don't think the Knicks will touch any FA this offseason. I see this being a very slow off season for them other than the situations with Lee and Robinson.
    Yeah, I figure about the same amount for Ariza.
    But what about the Cavs, should they re-do Varegao contract after the strong performance he gave this season? how much?

I still say resign them both and then if they don't either in the 2010 plan, trade them in the 2009/2010 off season. I don't see the difference between trading them this off season or next. You could probably get some more out of both next off season anyway with so many teams losing key players to FA and looking for replacements.
    I would luv for the Knicks to resign both Lee & Nate....but if they are not going to start building a team that can play together this offseason then let those players go (FA) to a playoff team.

Superstar

good points kiya

I'm not buying into the idea that Lee and Nate won't resign because the knicks aren't in a win-now mode for next year. Most of the teams with cap room anyway to sign Lee or Nate aren't any more guaranteed to compete than the knicks are next year. Memphis, Oklahoma, Minnesota, New Jersey, Detroit..

I'm also not in agreement that Lee is going to demand 10+ mil this offseason. Yes, thats what his agent is saying it will take, but lets see how many teams in the NBA are willing to give him that much. Again with many teams uneasy to spend money this off season, I think Lee and Robinson will be very disappointed with the offers they receive.

In response to your last part of your post:

"I would luv for the Knicks to resign both Lee & Nate....but if they are not going to start building a team that can play together this offseason then let those players go (FA) to a playoff team."

I can't see them making too many moves anyway to get players that will be apart of the future in 2010+...if you resign Lee and Robinson, you either 1)have players that can contribute 2010+ or 2) have 2 trading chips to maybe package with expiring contracts Curry or Jefferies to get players you want to be apart of the future.

Sheed has publicly stated he wants 8 million a year or he is retiring...

Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    No ****!?

Position: PF
    Born: 9/17/74????????? He's an old badger!!!!
    Height: 6-11 / 2,11
    Weight: 230

$8m is a massive call!!!!! He's a bit rotund at the moment as well, 230lbs my ass...

Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    IF HE WANT THAT MUCH AND REMAIN PUT ON THAT POSITION I PREDICT ANOTHER LATRELL SPREWELL. THE MOST HE WILL GET IS THE MLE AS HE IS 33 YO AND ALTHOUGH A GOOD DEFENSIVE PRESENCE AND GOOD SHOOTING WHEN HOT, HIS PRODUCTION HAS DECLINED AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO, AND ALSO HIS HOT HEAD MENTALITY DONT HELP.

i don't understand the bits about gallinari.that was utterly ridiculous. like his help defense wasn't at least decent.like he's not going to get better and stronger.

david's defense is trash.this team isn't winning anything without defense.play and simple.this ain't the greatest show on turf.

With news that the MSG group might be up for sale, i dont think dlee or nate will be signed. we could possibly loose 2 valuable players for nothing. Despite all the knocks on lee for his defense teams around the league would be willing to acqire him and give us some valuable pieces where he might be able to shine in his natural role.

Other people recognize DLee's inability to play Defense...I'm on a NBA forum now that I was invited to and guys from others teams(Celtics, TWolves, etc...) are noticing his lack of defense....Well atleast, some of them....Some think he is worth over 10 mil a year....

But the point I'm trying to make is that I think these other teams are knowing he isn't worth what he is asking so I think the Knicks MAY be able to offer about what he is really worth...around 7 mil...

Default Agree and Disagree

JayJ44 I agree, we can't pay david lee 18 mill, that's ridiculous. 9 mill is closer, but still expensive. That quote you start with the 21 reasons, has many flaws. David Lee shooting jumpers is a good thing. Granted I don't want to see him shooting 20 a game from outside, but he's improving his game. Yes it takes away from his fg %. But it expands his game, keeps his man more on him if he was clearing out for a post scorer.
    Secondly he doesn't mostly score on pick and rolls. He cuts and slashes to basket alot, is always in the right place to get the pass and easy bucket and he cleans up missed shots with put backs because he's offensive rebounding skills. His game isn't perfect but it is more balanced then you think.
    Third lee plays PF and Center. Lebron SF and maybe some time at PF, gallinari right now is to light to play PF so he plays SF, 19yo,he's bound to gain weight and can move to PF with his height. They can play gallinari SF, lebron PF, Lee C, for a small but fast breaking lineup. They can get a real center and have gallinari off the bench replacing either. I see no problem with those 3 mixing it up. Even chandler mixed in. Gallinari isn't ready to start anyway.
    It's right he has more to do with the 111wins then the countless losses. He's not a main piece, he's the glue that puts the peices together. He's the one who makes the superstars forget they missed a shot, by getting the O-Reb.
    Of course he's outmatched defensively, he's not a true center. I know I said we could play him at center with lebron, but it'd really depend on the match ups and preferably not all game. But he could def give some good minutes at center.
    Not a skilled passer? Well he's a big man, he's not going to pass like chris paul, but he's good for a big man, he can handle the ball decent, he's ampidextrous.
    D'antoni not mentioning Lee doesn't mean much. I think it has more to do with the situation, if the coach says he wants him, it drives up his price lee , builds hope of NY'ers that knicks will get him. If his price tag inflates to much the Knicks may have to pass on Lee. You know he has fans back and if the coaches also, it will be a bigger blow to morale of the fans and team if they don't sign.
    Resigning lee, is a great idea for the right price. 6-9mill tops. I'd love to get him for Q riches money or maybe Malik roses. or even better if we dumped curry's salary. I think he's worth having more then Harrington.
    Lee brings a lot of little things to table. He's a hustle player. Much like oakley was, except Oakley played with a shot blocking center W/ decent scoring guards, he was tougher but less athletic. But the hustle, effort and heart is there.

Keep Lee. David Lee is a guy that belongs to championship team. Dude hustles and plays hard.

Veteran

Originally Posted by jzero29
    . David Lee shooting jumpers is a good thing. Granted I don't want to see him shooting 20 a game from outside, but he's improving his game. .
    he can't hit a jumper from past 5ft... he is pitiful from the outside... i had a better outside shot then lee playing outside at at jhs 51 , years ago... and i sux'd...