The Official Stephan Curry Thread

Toons

is the Bo$$
I suggest that we all do an official thread of our favorite rookie. Ill start with mine. Give reasons why u think the player should be drafted, what are the chances, and justify your fav. rookie, and possibly soon to be knick!

Who is Stephan (Steff-an) Curry

200803231600576549171-p2.jpeg

Biography

High school career

Curry attended Charlotte Christian School in Charlotte, North Carolina, and is the school's all-time leading scorer with over 1,700 points.

At Charlotte Christian School, Curry was named all-state, all-conference, and team MVP while he led his team to three conference titles and three state playoff appearances. He attended Middle School at Queensway Christian College in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada, leading his team to an undefeated season. He finished his senior season by shooting over 48% from three-point range. After receiving offers from Davidson College, Virginia Commonwealth, and Winthrop[7], Curry chose Davidson College, a school that had not won an NCAA Tournament game since 1969.

Collegiate career

Freshman season

Before Stephen Curry even played a college game, head coach Bob McKillop said at a Davidson Alumni event, "Wait till you see Steph Curry. He is something special." In his second ever collegiate game against the University of Michigan, Curry scored 32 points, dished out 4 assists, and grabbed 9 rebounds.

Curry led the Southern Conference in scoring, averaging 21.5 points per game and was second in the nation among freshmen in scoring, to Texas' Kevin Durant, who ended up being the 2nd pick in the 2007 NBA Draft. Curry's scoring ability helped the Wildcats to a 29-5 overall record and a Southern Conference regular season title.

On March 2, 2007, in the Southern Conference semi-finals, facing Furman University, Curry set the NCAA freshman season record for 3-point field goals with 113.

Curry eclipsed the school freshman scoring record with his 502nd point against University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on February 6, 2007.[10] On March 15, 2007, Davidson marched into the NCAA Tournament as a 13 seed set to play the University of Maryland. Even though Davidson lost 82-70, Curry was the leading scorer with 30 points and received a standing ovation when he fouled out.

Curry ended his freshman season with 730 total points, including 122 3-point field goals.

After the season ended, Curry was selected for the USA team that appeared at the 2007 FIBA U19 World Championships in Novi Sad, Serbia. Despite playing only 18 minutes per game, Curry averaged 9.4 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 2.2 assists while shooting 45% from the floor.

Curry was selected as Southern Conference Freshman of the Year, Tournament MVP, All-tournament team, All-freshman team, and first team All-SoCon. He was also named an honorable mention in Sports Illustrated's All-Mid-Major.

steph.curry.jpg

Sophomore season

Coming off of a stellar freshman season, Curry was eager to impress again. In this season, Davidson would play a tough non-conference schedule including the University of North Carolina, Duke, NC State, and UCLA. Despite being lightly regarded, these games against top-ranked opponents were very close, but unfortunately for Curry and the Wildcats, all losses. Curry shined in each game, though, scoring 24 against UNC, 20 against Duke, 29 against NC State, and 15 against UCLA. On February 13, 2008, Curry's 41 point game against UNC-Greensboro helped Davidson come back from a 20-point first half deficit to win.

Curry once again led the Southern Conference in scoring, averaging 25.5 points per game and ended up fifth in Division I in scoring, while adding 4.7 rebounds per game and 2.8 assists per game. His scoring and leadership abilities led the Wildcats to a 26?6 regular season record, and a 20?0 conference record. As a result, Davidson earned their third straight NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship Tournament bid in 2008, as a 10 seed.

On March 21, 2008, Davidson matched up with seventh seeded Gonzaga University. Despite Gonzaga being ahead by as many as 11 points early in the second half of this game, Curry scored 30 points in that half to push Davidson to their first NCAA Tournament win since 1969, 82?76. Curry ended up with 40 points, going 8-for-10 from 3-point range.on March 23, Davidson played second seeded Georgetown University in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Georgetown entered the game as a heavy favorite after an appearance in the Final Four in 2007 and holding a number eight national ranking. Curry was held to only five points in the first half of the game, and his team trailed by 17 points at that point. However, Curry scored 25 points in the second half to push Davidson to a stunning 74?70 win.

On March 28, 2008, Curry led Davidson to another upset against third seeded Wisconsin. With NBA superstar LeBron James in attendance, Curry scored 33 points over his defender Michael Flowers, who was considered one of the best in the nation. Davidson easily won 73?56, advancing the school to the Elite 8 for the first time since 1969.[20] In this game, Curry joined Clyde Lovellette of Kansas, Jerry Chambers of Utah and Glenn Robinson of Purdue as the only players to go over 30 in their first four career NCAA tournament games.Curry also tied the single-season record for most three-pointers made in one season set by Darrin Fitzgerald of Butler University in 1986-87 with 158. He set the record in the next game against the Kansas Jayhawks with his 159th three-pointer of the season. Despite Curry's 25 points, Davidson fell to the top-seeded Jayhawks, (which would go on to win the tournament) 59-57 on March 30, 2008.

Curry was named to the Associated Press' All-America Second Team on March 31, 2008. He was also named the Most Outstanding Player of the Midwest Region of the 2008 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship Tournament, becoming the first player from a team not making the Final Four to do so since Juwan Howard of Michigan in 1994.
Curry was nominated for an ESPY in the Breakthrough Player of the Year category.

StephenCurry.h2.jpg

Junior season

Curry said he wants to develop as a point guard and be able to create his own shot to get ready for the NBA. On November 18, Curry scored a career-high 44 points in Davidson's 82-78 loss to Oklahoma. He extended a career-long streak by scoring at least 25 points for the seventh straight game. On November 21, Curry registered a career-high 13 assists, to go along with 30 points, in Davidson's 97-70 win over Winthrop, in Davidson's next game, Curry matched his career-high of 44 in a 72-67 win over North Carolina State.Scoring Davidson's final 10 points, he helped his team clinch the game in the last moments with a three-point shot from 30 feet, and two clinching free throws with 4.1 seconds remaining. He also had a team-high 3 steals. On December 20, Curry went cold in the John Wooden Tradition in Indianapolis. Going 5-for-26 field goals, including hitting only 2-of-12 threes, he finished with only 13 points against Purdue and its defense (led by Chris Kramer), resulting in the Wildcats' second loss of the season, a score of 76-58.[30]

On January 3, 2009, Curry surpassed the 2000-point mark for his career as he scored 21 points against Samford. He accomplished this feat in just his 83rd career game.

On January 7, 2009, Curry scored 29 points in a loss to Duke and became the second leading scorer in Davidson's history.

Curry became Davidson's all time leading scorer on February 28, 2009, surpassing previous record holder John Gerdy. Stephen Curry scored 34 points in a 99-56 win against Georgia Southern, giving Curry 2,488 points for his career.

2006-2007

Pts Rebs Asst Stl Blk fg% ft% ft%
21.5 4.6 2.8 1.8 0.2 .463 .408 .855

2007-2008

25.9 4.6 2.9 2.1 0.4 .483 .439 .894

2008-2009

28.6 4.4 5.6 2.5 0.2 .454 .387 .876

ncb_a_curry2_sq_300.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x9vmoQ5WABU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x9vmoQ5WABU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AKk095hDYig&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AKk095hDYig&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v7QsXUnq57U&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v7QsXUnq57U&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lnS79FwwvEo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lnS79FwwvEo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
IF all quality "BIGS" (C , PF) are off the board by the time we pick I would advise trading to acquire a BIG MAN from another team. Why...? Let's see Duhon, N8, Roberson, Marbury, Crawford, Hughes, Mobley, Nichols, Collins and even Chandler have all played as guards and what happened... WE FAILED!!!!!!! Another guard in the form of Steph Curry won't make any difference. Sh*t Nate avg. 17 points off the bench and Duhon was top 10 in assists (for a while) and we ended up 3rd WORST in opp. fg % and points allowed. Do you think Steph Curry can be better than either those two (not that they're super stars)? The answer is probably not. So why are we targeting ANOTHER guard? Once again if u can't draft a quality big then trade the pick for someone! Personally if I see another guard I might have to boycott the next season.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Red, I see where your coming from. I also want a quality big man. We also have trading pieces. He has read dantoni's book on 0.7 seconds or less, and has since modeled steve nash's game, and has raised his assist total in his last year. You must know that we are vacant at starting point guard, and n8, nor duhon can fill the void. It would be crazy to have elite shooters on the team again, gallinari and curry. We still have another year, and a trade deadline before 2010, so we can get a big before then.

Red

TYPE-A
We could sign Nash, Sessions or trade someone for a PG but I feel a BIG is harder to acquire. I guess we're saying the same thing but I proritize a Big over a PG for quicker improvement. But all in all we need both plus more. My question is why Curry now? We weren't coveting him while he was playing it was all about Rubio. Now he is made to be our priority (by the media) when our issues were defesive and low post players. Why not address our glaring needs 1st then a guard? I mean we had good shooters and will add more in Gallo and Curry but the results will be the same with Curry, Chandler and Gallo in the back court b/c we didn't address the issue imo. Just saying do we expect to improve next season? Because if so how will Curry help that?

dre48ny

Rotation player
Reminds so much of our nemesis Reggie Miller. Moves well without the ball and can shoot it from anywhere.

Toons

is the Bo$$
We could sign Nash, Sessions or trade someone for a PG but I feel a BIG is harder to acquire. I guess we're saying the same thing but I proritize a Big over a PG for quicker improvement. But all in all we need both plus more. My question is why Curry now? We weren't coveting him while he was playing it was all about Rubio. Now he is made to be our priority (by the media) when our issues were defesive and low post players. Why not address our glaring needs 1st then a guard? I mean we had good shooters and will add more in Gallo and Curry but the results will be the same with Curry, Chandler and Gallo in the back court b/c we didn't address the issue imo. Just saying do we expect to improve next season? Because if so how will Curry help that?

All points taken. I dont think is that the madia is making us covet him, he falls between 6-10....and he's the best guard in 6-10 imo

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
IF all quality "BIGS" (C , PF) are off the board by the time we pick I would advise trading to acquire a BIG MAN from another team. Why...? Let's see Duhon, N8, Roberson, Marbury, Crawford, Hughes, Mobley, Nichols, Collins and even Chandler have all played as guards and what happened... WE FAILED!!!!!!! Another guard in the form of Steph Curry won't make any difference. Sh*t Nate avg. 17 points off the bench and Duhon was top 10 in assists (for a while) and we ended up 3rd WORST in opp. fg % and points allowed. Do you think Steph Curry can be better than either those two (not that they're super stars)? The answer is probably not. So why are we targeting ANOTHER guard? Once again if u can't draft a quality big then trade the pick for someone! Personally if I see another guard I might have to boycott the next season.

Most of the best players that will be in our reach (probably 8th pick) are going to be guards.

Even the 8th pick will be of more value than any big man that is currently available for trade in this league.

IMO, curry should not be an option for us because he is more of a combo guard. We need a guy that will either play strictly as a point guard or strictly play as a shooting guard. Most combo guards are bench players (ben gordon, nate, terry). What we need is a starter that will play his position well.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
we can trade for a big no problem we have expiring contracts coming up this season and they play good and could be difference makers on some team ( much like Rasheed was for the Pistons in 04). if we can draft Lawson or Rubio and trade for a T.Chandler we would be in great position for the future with the development of Chandler, Gallo, and our rookie this year

New New York

Quiet Storm
No offense to "Team Starbaury" or "Team White Castle" but this kid's name reeks of Bad Knick Karma and we should avoid him just off of that!

Sike....this is the player I have wanted since last month when I first read his scouting report. I like that he is an underclassman implying that he still has room to grow, but, he is a junior meaning he has some experience too.

I know the knock on him is that he can't defend, but I think Jrue Holiday (my second favorite PG in the draft) is the only PG in the draft known as a defender, so were not going to get a solid defender at this position in this years class anyways.

Look Dantoni's offense made Duhon into a B-list player in the league, and took an All Star in Nash and made him into a Mega Star, so I'm curious what he can do building a young player from ground up.

I think why I'm sold on this cat is that I wanted Augistine, Gordon or Bayless last year and not that Curry will be better than any of them, he is at least similar to all three. Plus drafting him could allow for us to execute a sign and trade for Nate.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
No Stephen Curry. Someone please make a Lawson Thread. He plays this thing called defense. He actually can steal the ball and run the fast break like a beast,

Toons

is the Bo$$
2.5 stals per game does not count for defense?

i gave you all of his stats so that you can make a fair assessment....
complete fail

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
2.5 stals per game does not count for defense?

i gave you all of his stats so that you can make a fair assessment....
complete fail

I meant he sticks to his defender as well. He's aggressive on the ball and we need that. Lawson plays the total package. And the opposing defense does not focus on lawson. Curry gets shutdown easily. If you just let him go, he;ll score in bunches, but what if that doesnt happen?

No curry, if he was a pure, SG, maybe, but i dont want a player like him. especiaslly if we resign nate. 2 PGs with SG minds.

Red

TYPE-A
All points taken. I dont think is that the madia is making us covet him, he falls between 6-10....and he's the best guard in 6-10 imo

So answer my question... exactly what impact will Curry have on our squad next yr? For example will our Defense be better? Our fg%? Our assist/turnover ratio? How exactly will Curry "Improve" us next yr?

The only thing I can come up with is he can sustain energy longer than Duhon (who was over used and probably still will start) and probably will hit a better % from three pt range. But nothing else.

Red

TYPE-A
No offense to "Team Starbaury" or "Team White Castle" but this kid's name reeks of Bad Knick Karma and we should avoid him just off of that!

Sike....this is the player I have wanted since last month when I first read his scouting report. I like that he is an underclassman implying that he still has room to grow, but, he is a junior meaning he has some experience too.

I know the knock on him is that he can't defend, but I think Jrue Holiday (my second favorite PG in the draft) is the only PG in the draft known as a defender, so were not going to get a solid defender at this position in this years class anyways.

Look Dantoni's offense made Duhon into a B-list player in the league, and took an All Star in Nash and made him into a Mega Star, so I'm curious what he can do building a young player from ground up.

I think why I'm sold on this cat is that I wanted Augistine, Gordon or Bayless last year and not that Curry will be better than any of them, he is at least similar to all three. Plus drafting him could allow for us to execute a sign and trade for Nate.

Good point... will Curry be better than Augistine, Gordon or Bayless? If not then we are trying to make up for last years blunder imo when we could of got them or Lopez.

Off the subject... Did you photo-shop HellBoy's arm on your sig or what lol?

Toons

is the Bo$$
I meant he sticks to his defender as well. He's aggressive on the ball and we need that. Lawson plays the total package. And the opposing defense does not focus on lawson. Curry gets shutdown easily. If you just let him go, he;ll score in bunches, but what if that doesnt happen?

No curry, if he was a pure, SG, maybe, but i dont want a player like him. especiaslly if we resign nate. 2 PGs with SG minds.

shut down?? dud lead the ncaa is scoring. he had one shut down game, one historical game, the first time ever, that he scored zero points. He got doubled ALL game, and they won by 30. it was a game of 4 on 5. I wont say any more.

Last edited:

Toons

is the Bo$$
So answer my question... exactly what impact will Curry have on our squad next yr? For example will our Defense be better? Our fg%? Our assist/turnover ratio? How exactly will Curry "Improve" us next yr?

The only thing I can come up with is he can sustain energy longer than Duhon (who was over used and probably still will start) and probably will hit a better % from three pt range. But nothing else.

honestly Red, i like the fact that he knows how to win. Dantoni has brought 1 winner in danillo...we need go to guys, who wont shy away from the last shot. If curry plays for us, i can see us designing inside out plays for him an danillo to shoot the ball. Offense was not a real problem for us, as we bragged the most potent offense in the NBA earlier before duhon got burnt out. He is an unselfish player. He is a combo guard, but that was because the team he was on needed a combo guard. People talk about guards who can shoot as if its a bad thing. Combo guards make some of the best pg's in the league....baron, parker, chris paul is a combo guard as well as he averages over 20 ppg, devin harris....ummmmmmm jameer nelson, monte ellis, mo williams, eric gordon, andre miller, bibby, heck even the ROY is a combo guard...

skelos

Rookie
I love stephan currys game but he is not what the knicks need. If we are going to draft a guard it has to be a slasher that can get into the paint or a true sg not someone stuck between the 1 and the 2. he's to small to guard the 2 and not a true pg. I see him as a mo williams,bibby type of player. for those guys to be succesful they need someone else that can help facilitate the offense. bibby got johnson and williams got lebron. the knicks doesn't have a playmaker to play alongside curry now so drafting him will be risky.

Toons

is the Bo$$
smokes, i guess its cus i want to see chandler at the 2 spot permanently. 6'3 guard, a 6'6'' sg, gallo, a 6'10'' sf, lee at 6'10 and whoever else

Toons

is the Bo$$
D'Antoni Has Eye On Curry
Comment
May 21
New York Post

"With the Knicks locked in with the No. 8 pick, coach Mike D'Antoni weighed in yesterday on Davidson point guard Stephen Curry -- the front-runner to wear a blue-and-orange jersey. Reached in Mullens, W. Va., where he is spending the week in his home state doing speaking engagements, D'Antoni didn't sound disappointed the Knicks didn't get a higher spot in Tuesday's lottery. The Knicks want to add a guard with playmaking and shooting skills to their roster by June 25. Curry's new agent spoke to the Knicks yesterday as they attempted to arrange a workout in Westchester around June 5. "He's going to be a really good pro," D'Antoni told The Post.