Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 95

Thread: 'Missing Link' in human evolution found

  1. #46
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    I have always wondered the Atheist, gnostic view on The Nephilim and how the arguements for Evolution always go back to finding fossils to prove their point. The same arguement can be used to argue for Christianity. Explain to me the Nephilim and the fossls of Giants and humongous people that did roam this earth... which is in the Bible:

    Genesis 6:4 "The Nephilim were on the earth in those days and also afterward when the sons of God(fallen angels) came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown."

    Before watching this video pay close attention to 0:40 and on..the pictures are amazing if you have not seen them already. There were Humongous people back then which makes the story of David and Golliath sound very realistic to someone with any faith.

    Because it's a hoax. Kind of makes you question the motives of religious people. Doesn't it?


    Giant Skeleton Hoax
    Category: Osteology
    Posted on: December 15, 2007 12:52 PM, by afarensis, FCD

    This is equal parts funny (that people were taken in by it) and sad (because it doesn't say much about scientific literacy). The hoax revolves around a picture of a giant skeleton. The picture was part of a photo manipulation contest but rapidly took on a life of its own. Here is the picture:



    According to the person who created the photo:

    IronKite started with an aerial photo of a mastodon excavation in Hyde Park, New York, in 2000. He then digitally superimposed a human skeleton over the beast's remains.
    The later addition of a digging man presented the biggest technical challenge.

    "If you look, he's holding a yellow-handled shovel, but there's nothing on the end," IronKite said.

    "Originally, the spade end was there. But [it] looked like it was occupying the exact same space as the skeleton's temple, making the whole thing look fake.

    "Now it looks like he's just holding a stick, and people don't notice. It's funny."

    IronKite also altered the color of the man's clothing to create a "uniform tie-in" with the white-shirted observer peering down from the wooden platform.


    What happened next is that a number of media outlets and internet sites reported the find as real. People from various religious backgrounds around the world believed it because it confirmed religious myths about giants in the past. As the National Geographic article puts it:

    David Mikkelson of Snopes.com said such hoaxes succeed when they seem to confirm something people are already inclined to believe, such as a prejudice, political viewpoint, or religious belief.
    A hoax also needs to be presented "in a framework that has the appearance of credibility," he said in an email.

    The "ancient giant" has both elements, according to Mikkelson.

    "It appeals to both a religious and a secular vision of the world as different and more fantastic than mere science would lead us to believe," he said.


    Because worm eating fungi and tool using chimps aren't fantastic enough...

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  2. #47
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Because it's a hoax. Kind of makes you question the motives of religious people. Doesn't it?
    your response makes sense because the shovel is clearly missing an end to it so it does look photoshoped. I still have seen pictures of fossils of giant humans in the past so i dont' doubt the Nephilim because of this picutre. I just thought that this skelton was soooo big that it would be interesting if it was a true picture.

  3. #48
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Oh come on it's obviously a hoax. Look what happens to humans any bigger than 7.6". Yao Ming for instance. Injuries galore & another season off. A bi-pedal structure isn't made to carry umpteen hundred kgs on 2 legs. And regardless, if we know the ins and outs of multiple species of dinosaurs from ANCIENT fossils, then how is the existence of these monoliths even possible? We'd know all about their existence even down to their diet. It'd be common knowledge and interest as well as a TV show.

    2000 years ago or so, anyone over 6.4" would have been massive, so Goliath was probably the earliest NBA 2 guard in history.

    One thing these nutters can't fabricate is the God they worship because it's already been done. Perhaps photoshop will bring out a new deity package?

  4. #49
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    Oh come on it's obviously a hoax. Look what happens to humans any bigger than 7.6". Yao Ming for instance. Injuries galore & another season off. A bi-pedal structure isn't made to carry umpteen hundred kgs on 2 legs. And regardless, if we know the ins and outs of multiple species of dinosaurs from ANCIENT fossils, then how is the existence of these monoliths even possible? We'd know all about their existence even down to their diet. It'd be common knowledge and interest as well as a TV show.

    2000 years ago or so, anyone over 6.4" would have been massive, so Goliath was probably the earliest NBA 2 guard in history.

    One thing these nutters can't fabricate is the God they worship because it's already been done. Perhaps photoshop will bring out a new deity package?
    Humans have inhabited this earth for thousands of years...there could have easily been a 8/9/10 foot person in some random place when exploration wasn't so frequent. We don't have recorded history of every Giant that has ever lived. A person like Goliath could have easily been true. Being that the Bible recorded it, I definitely believe it.

  5. #50
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    So you believe in talking bushes?

  6. #51
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Did you ever think that maybe the bible is in poor taste. All those videos did was put pictures to the words of the bible. There are some pretty disgusting stories in the bible.
    No, those are real events involving real people. bad things happen to real people if you have not noticed in your lifetime. These things are in there for a reason. A reason you will never understand because when it comes to the Bible, you lack the basic ingredient for understanding, reason itself.




    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    So you agree then. The bible is an imperfect book written by imperfect people.

    And it's not that one is more detailed than the other. The genealogies are different.
    I don't argue whether the Bible is a perfect book or not. I just know it to be the word of God, and that's all that matters. What you're arguing, perfect or not is trivial.

    And we'll agree to disagree on the geneology. Pointless, because I'm a Bible student and you hate God's word. so no wonder you lack understanding.






    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    There are other imperfect books written by imperfect people that have prophesized the end of the world and have prophesized the increase of wars, tragedies, etc. The Koran being one of them. Why don't you follow the Koran? Because maybe you think that religion was made up by humans? I see, every single religion in the world is wrong except yours. Just like what every other religious person thinks. Makes sense.
    None of those other books have had prophecy come true. and the Koran is not a book itself of prophecy. so you should really get that fact straight. And I do not follow the Koran because it is not the inspired word of God. Not because humans made it up. Anything in the world not of God is certainly endorsed by the God of this world. This is why a true Christian would be no part of the world.

    And yes, any religion that is against Jehovah is wrong. It was that way back in the garden of Eden and it continues into our day. That is just the way it is Paco.





    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Gosh, you can't wait for the end of the world can you? You're very excited about it and the death of billions of people. That makes me sad. Like I've said before, it's not going to happen and when you are on your deathbed and it still hasn't happened, unfortunately only then maybe you will have realized that you've wasted your entire life and ruined your children's lives all on a falsehood.
    Actually, you're right, I can't wait! Because the promise that lies ahead is what the whole human race, religious or not hope for. true peace and happiness on earth and the human family being truly brought together in oneness! YES I CAN'T WAIT! I will not let you put a damper on what Jehovah deems as Good. It is his right as God and creator to determine how he wants things ran around here, and the way it is not, is certainly not it!

    As far as the death of billions of people, again, you clearly miss that Jehovah is granting all of these people an opportunity to keep their lives. That is why the good news must be preached in the entire inhabited earth... BEFORE THE END COMES!! That is a loving provision by God, that you are trying to turn into the opposite for whatever reason beknownst to yourself. The same way noah built the Ark for those in his day, Jehovah is allowing in a similar way today. BUT IT IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL TO TAKE ADVANTAGE. Jehovah will not make anyone worship him. But it is his right to give life only to those who choose to worship him. So in effect, the Billions of people that may die, will bring it on themselves. They don't have too.

    And lastly, pay attention. It's already happening. True worship on earth has been restored, the preaching work is being done on the grandest scale in human history, and the world is in a state of decay like no other time in history. How long will you be foolish enough to not take heed? Mathew 24 is happening pal, like it or not. The real sad thing is, when Jehovah does bring the end, he says everyone will have to know who he is. So when that time comes... everyone in denial will no longer be able to deny. That will sting. Could you imagine what those in Noah's day felt like when they laughed at Noah for building the Ark and then it finally rained? There are gonna be a lotta people wishing they took Jehovah a lot more serious.. And very soon.






    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Excuses, excuses. It's not that they don't mirror word for word, it's that they're different. For example with the ressurection, the time of day, how many people were there, if the tomb was blocked, if the tomb was empty, etc.

    If a prosecutor was trying to present his case with witnesses and none of them could get the time of day, how many people were there and other important details to agree with one another, the case would be thrown out on LACK OF EVIDENCE!!

    And again, then you agree the bible is an imperfect book written by imperfect people.
    You see it how you see it. It's the same with the prophetic word. You just don't wanna see the truth because you could care less. That is why you miss it.

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Let's see, an imperfect book written by imperfect people with prophecies no different than many other imperfect books written by imperfect people...and the stories in the book are impossible or have been disproven by scientific facts. It's quite obvious your desire to believe hinders your ability to use reason and logic. I only hope you will change before you have wasted your entire life and ruined your children's lives.
    You're lost. Because the Bible is the only book in history that prophetic word has proven true.

    How did the Christians in 70 ce survive the purge of Jerusalem? because they heeded Bible prophecy. How did the Jews know when to look for the Messiah? When he would appear? Bible prophecy. is the place where ancient Babylon inhabited yet? Is it a thriving world power anymore? No other book has accurate prophetic word. Only those with keen interest in God's word and workings does he reveal the truth too. So again, no small wonder why you're lost. You don't care.

    What scientific facts disprove that the Good news is being preached? What scientific facts disprove that the christians survived 70 ce by bible prophecy? Stop it with the science already, k? At some point, I would think a lightbulb would go off, and instead of replying so quickly you would ask yourself how did they know? Why is it that millions of people died in 70 ce because they did not heed jesus warning, yet the ones who did, lived?

    That alone tells me there must be something to this Biblical prophecy. And I don't need to be a scientist to come to that logical conclusion.







    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Actually the human body is 60% water not "dust". But yes, the body is made of the same elements the earth is made of which are the same elements that form when stars explode. As Carl Sagan says, "we are made of star stuff". It makes perfect sense that the same elements that are abundant on earth are what make up every living thing on earth. We are no different than any other living thing on earth. Did God do the same for every living thing, or did he just go "presto chango rearrango...kablammo!!!" and suddenly every living thing appeared?



    Not a single part of evolution states that complex organisms just came together by blind chance. I've explained this to you several times. If you can't get it, then there is no point in me continuing to waste my time. Natural selection on genetic variation within populations over billions of years is the driving force of evolution. Look how much we have changed domestic animals over only a few centuries with artificial selection. Do you realize how long 3.5 billion years is? I think that is your main problem in understanding evolution. You can't comprehend billions. There aren't even a billion seconds in your lifetime.
    Questions left unanswered by evolution

    How could life come from something without life?

    Why do animals and plants reproduce ONLy according to their kinds?

    If Humans descend from inferior monkeys, why did not a single superior apeman survive?

    How can altruism be explained by the theory of the survival of the fittest?

    Does mankind have any real hope for the future?

    The floor now belongs to science. Thanks you.

  7. #52
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default


  8. #53
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Altruism doesn't exist....lol

  9. #54
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default seen the video.

    And it still didnt answer the last questions i had.

    probably because they dont have them.

    It been fun!

  10. #55
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    [B]Questions left unanswered by evolution

    How could life come from something without life?

    How does God come from nothing? He must have come to being from not being.

    Why do animals and plants reproduce ONLy according to their kinds?

    Because if they crossbred there would be too far of a genetic difference, something that would be unable to live.

    If Humans descend from inferior monkeys, why did not a single superior apeman survive?

    Humans didn't. They deviated from a common ancestor with modern primates.

    How can altruism be explained by the theory of the survival of the fittest?

    Altruism is nonexistent, its an illogical fallacy used by people to, guess what, gratify themselves, further supporting the fact that altruism is bogus.

    Does mankind have any real hope for the future?

    No. No meaning to life. You're worthless. You're as valuable as dirt. Live with it. We are not special. We are not unique. We are nothing.

  11. #56
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    And it still didnt answer the last questions i had.

    probably because they dont have them.

    It been fun!
    Why would evolution answer the question "Does mankind have any real hope for the future?"?

    That's a philosophical question and irrelevant to the topic.

    Evolution does explain altruism quite clearly. It is found in most complex dynamic population groups. It is seen frequently in chimpanzees and other higher primates as well as elephants and dolphins. Survival of the fittest does not always mean survival of the fittest individual.

    Can you answer this question? Why does the fossil record show a gradual change in life from the most simple organisms occurring 3.5 billion years ago to more complex lifeforms occurring more recently?

    As the video stated, this FACT alone (among mountains of other facts) completly disprove the creationist's theory. Life was not created all at once approximately 6,000 years ago. The bible is wrong here. If the bible is wrong about creation, how can it be right about the end of the world?

    There is so much evidence for evolution and ZERO evidence against it. As Jerry Coyne said, you are either preverse to not believe evolution is true, do not have enough information on the subject, or you are so blinded by your faith that you don't want to.

  12. #57
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    [b]Questions left unanswered by evolution

    How could life come from something without life?

    How does God come from nothing? He must have come to being from not being.

    Why do animals and plants reproduce ONLy according to their kinds?

    Because if they crossbred there would be too far of a genetic difference, something that would be unable to live.

    If Humans descend from inferior monkeys, why did not a single superior apeman survive?

    Humans didn't. They deviated from a common ancestor with modern primates.

    How can altruism be explained by the theory of the survival of the fittest?

    Altruism is nonexistent, its an illogical fallacy used by people to, guess what, gratify themselves, further supporting the fact that altruism is bogus.

    Does mankind have any real hope for the future?

    No. No meaning to life. You're worthless. You're as valuable as dirt. Live with it. We are not special. We are not unique. We are nothing.
    let's see...dirt...and the human mind....yea we are on the same level...please stop being so oblivious and dull. You look at the planets, stars, and how vast and massive this universe is and you really think it's nothing? Made from nothing??? Everything you use as
    "evidence" has been created by a guess! an educated guess!
    Put creationism in schools and you would see these ridiculous theories fly out the window. Creationism has no voice anymore and therefore it will always be looked at as nonsense unless someone really compares the two theories to which makes the most sense. Many have gone down the road of investigating creationism and in the end they believed in it.

  13. #58
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    let's see...dirt...and the human mind....yea we are on the same level...please stop being so oblivious and dull. You look at the planets, stars, and how vast and massive this universe is and you really think it's nothing? Made from nothing??? Everything you use as
    "evidence" has been created by a guess! an educated guess!
    Put creationism in schools and you would see these ridiculous theories fly out the window. Creationism has no voice anymore and therefore it will always be looked at as nonsense unless someone really compares the two theories to which makes the most sense. Many have gone down the road of investigating creationism and in the end they believed in it.
    No, actually when you compare the theory of evolution to intelligent desing theory, the ID theory looks like a joke. In fact, ID raises more questions than it answers. One (of many) examples is vestigial structures. Vestigial structures seem to suggest stupid design rather than intelligent. Evolution answers these questions. Creatioists just say "I don't know, God must have some purpose for it". Which quite frankly is a terrible way to go through life. Critical thinking is important, or else it just makes you a sheep.

    Viewing life at a glance from the surface and without any knowledge of biology, genetics, astronomy and archeaology, one might think that creationism makes sense. Hence why the book of genesis was written. People didn't have any knowledge of these subjects when it was written.

    ID has zero evidence to support it. Evolution has mountains (literally) of evidence to support it and zero evidence against it. This is why creationism is losing its voice. Because people are beginning to realize how ridiculous creationism is, when presented with the facts. The only people that believe in creationism are either uneducated or they don't want to believe because for some reason they need to feel special.


  14. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    No, actually when you compare the theory of evolution to intelligent desing theory, the ID theory looks like a joke. In fact, ID raises more questions than it answers. One (of many) examples is vestigial structures. Vestigial structures seem to suggest stupid design rather than intelligent. Evolution answers these questions. Creatioists just say "I don't know, God must have some purpose for it". Which quite frankly is a terrible way to go through life. Critical thinking is important, or else it just makes you a sheep.
    So because one does not have the exact answer for something means their way of life is terrible? So you must have ALL the answers, right?

    So are you a sheep since you follow others thoughts on evolution? Because you did not come up with the concept.

    Science is your God, and Evoltion just helps you explain why it is. We all serve SOMEBODY!


    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Viewing life at a glance from the surface and without any knowledge of biology, genetics, astronomy and archeaology, one might think that creationism makes sense. Hence why the book of genesis was written. People didn't have any knowledge of these subjects when it was written.
    Clearly you have the slightest Idea why any of the books in the Bible were made. But It's weird that you talk as if you do. The Bible is not a science book, but yet and still it has accurate scientific facts in it, long before, as you say, people had any knowledge of those subjects. How can this be, oh great mind of science? If the Bible writers had no knowledge, how could their facts be straight on any of these topics? The earth is a sphere that hangs on nothing, right? Oh yea.. He got that right because a man saw a shadow on the floor ..................... Lucky guess. How about King David speaking of embryo's in psalms? WHO KNEW! King David was a scientist! But you're right, the Bible was written when no one had knowledge of these things.



    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    ID has zero evidence to support it. Evolution has mountains (literally) of evidence to support it and zero evidence against it. This is why creationism is losing its voice. Because people are beginning to realize how ridiculous creationism is, when presented with the facts. The only people that believe in creationism are either uneducated or they don't want to believe because for some reason they need to feel special.
    Im still waiting for the scientific answer to why the uneducated people who listened to Jesus in 70 ce survived the purge of Jerusalem, but millions of others died. How could a book of fables to control the uneducated masses, save their lives? That makes no sense. So I hope the genius of science can answer that for me. Especially since the genius of science can tell us what happened billions of years ago, and into the future! This should be easy!


    And creationism is losing it's voice because the Father of the lie still rules. Not because the free world just became so intelligent and wise. I know you would like to believe as such, but quite simply, the bible foretold this exact time, and everything is happening just as it was written. But hey, You're smarter than us, who needs fables?

  15. #60
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Paul fails to interpret a basic point, taking things literally...

Similar Threads

  1. Explaining Evolution And Why GOD is NOT LIKELY
    By KnicksFan4Realz in forum Hangout
    Replies: 296
    Last Post: Jan 23, 2013, 16:16
  2. Debunking Ape man ancestor myth- WOW.
    By Knicks4lyfe in forum Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 03, 2009, 21:28
  3. Religulous
    By LJ4ptplay in forum Hangout
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2008, 14:10
  4. Our brain. What Evolution cannot account for!
    By Knicks4lyfe in forum Hangout
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: Jul 31, 2008, 14:20
  5. The Bible - Proof that Christianity is True
    By Paul1355 in forum Hangout
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: Jul 12, 2008, 18:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •