The Cavs Loss: How Does it Affect Our Chances at The King

KBlack25

Starter
So, after the Cavs lost last night, LeBron got dressed and left the locker room without talking to the media.

It got me thinking, how does the loss affect the Knicks' chances at LeBron, bear with me...

Cavs management now has to make a move, a big one, somewhere. If James doesn't believe the Cavs are committed to winning, committed to getting more pieces (they should have moved Wally for someone big, and I am still dumbfounded that they didn't), maybe he leaves. Because at the end of the day it's about championships, period. Could he think maybe that the Cavs are more committed to having LeBron there than they are to winning? We may see this offseason. LeBron wants championship, could it be possible that LeBron could want out because he doesn't believe he can win in Cleveland with the way they run their team?

OR

Could LeBron feel like he HAS to win in Cleveland at this point? That he has something to prove? That leaving would cause him to be the most hated superstar in Cleveland? Something tells me maybe this guy wants to win a title in Cleveland, that without it his career isn't ELITE (even if it really may be)? Could be, I wonder what leaving the locker room could mean for his chances of staying?

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Nice thread.

Our chances have gotten better, that's for sure. I know that lebron has noticed how weak his supporting cast really is. If the cavs don't make a move to improve and the same thing happens next year (losing in the east finals or worse) then he will look to move to another team. Not the wisest move for him, though.

ANU

Starter
there's no doubt in my mind dude is tight at that front office.ferry better turn into a fairy and make some magic happen asap.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
going into the playoffs i thought it would be best to see the Cavs win the championship, as then he'd be more willing to leave having given them one.... but the more i think about it, getting knocked out in the fashion that they just did, and seeing James put up the numbers he did and still lose pretty handily, makes me think the outcome is def in our favor of him being more likely to leave...

As some article i read said, the bulls team Jordan was on won like 50 games without him when he went to play baseball..you take away James, and the cavs win 30...doesn't matter what you do during the regular season, how many games you win or anything...the cavs failed pretty badly at reaching their goal this yr, and James can't be happy with that...Mo Williams and West both played pretty poorly throughout the post season and once they ran into a quality team like the Magic they can't rest on James doing everything.... Cavs had the top player in the series, Magic had the next 3 or 4.... can't win like that... (i had no idea Magic were such a good team before these playoffs)..

Anyway, it all comes down to who they choose to get...seems logical for them to try and pursue a big man, as Varajo isn't good enough, and Ilgauskas is soo old...they need to ship off the old players, and get some new young ones if they want to keep LeBron...i'm thinking they need some major moves to keep him, a pretty big name player....as he knows that what he'll get in NY..

I used to think James needs to win a championship there before he leaves, but the way he reacted after this loss, and the way the series went in general, i wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs don't get him what he wants this off season that he'll leave....

as you said, the Cavs can't just focus on keeping LeBron there, he needs players around him; and that would keep him there...but looking at their lineup, and salarys, i don't know who theyd plan on brining in, other then a new big man

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look consider the fact that this kid is only 24 years old, he could resign with Clev. for five years and still be a Knick (or any other team) still in his prime. If his dream is to bring a championship to Clev. then naturally the notion of him being a Knick in 2010 just took a hit with the loss.

My opinion is that a championship wouldve kept him in Clev. I think he does want to win a number of Titles in his home town, but if he gets the feeling that the team is not championship worthy then he is going to bolt.

It is also my opinion that if he leaves Clev. it will be to join Jay and The Nets not the The Knicks. Dude clearly has a man crush on Jay Z and that is what is going to make the difference about what NY team (ill, that just sounds disgusting, I hate the idea of having another Pro Basketball team in NY) he chooses....if he even leaves Clev. at all, because I assure you Danny Ferry goes all out to add another player to help Lebron this offseason, not to mention they will be well under cap themselves in 2010 even with resigning Lebron, so whats to say they don't bring in Bosh or any other player available that year.

Bottom line it is still waaaayyyyy too early to be considering what will Lebron be doing in 2010. There is still this offseason as well as next year's trade deadline where Clev. can become better or any other team can become a suitor for Lebron.

metrocard

Legend
LeBron is acting like a little girl though...in order to be a complete athlete you have to show good sportsmanship and congratulate the winning team.

I really don't like LeBron, eventhough he's the most talented/gifted/physically superior and probably will be the best player of our era.

But if it helps us bring him to NY...so be it. Just giving my opinion, I don't like the guy, but I'm not fight for him not to come to NYC...because we haven't had an all star or all nba'er in so long. It sucks going into the season with David Lee as your best player.

bfab99

Benchwarmer
increased by a lot. Let's go Lebron. One more year you'll be a Knick. Hasheem Thabeet, Chris Bosh, Lebron James, Rubio (or some other pgs in the draft), Wilson Chandler = DOMINATE.

New New York

Quiet Storm
saw LeBron interview after losing...guess what baseball teams hat he was wearing :peace: :smokin:

PE said it best....Don't, Don't, Don't Believe The Hype!

Look you don't think that he knew what he was doing by wearing a NY hat after a Cavs playoff elimination, he was creating a story.

Not to mention he said something to the affect of "New York being his favorite City, and Brooklyn is his favorite Borrough in the City!" take what you want from that or from the hat, but right now the dude is just flirting with NY like we have all flirted with that subpar chick we knew we could smash if we wanted.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
This loss doesn't change much. The Cavs need to make some changes and they have the expiring contracts to do it. Also, there are a bunch of players out there. The Clippers want to trade damn near their entire roster according to reports. This includes Marcus Camby, Barron Davis and Zach Randolph (not going to happen). Cavs can easily get Camby or Davis and immediately improve.

Keep in mind that all of the Cavs oldest players are in the final year of their contracts next season (Ben Wallace/Zydrunas Ilgauskas). Lots of teams would love to pick up those contracts to clear cap space.

Right now it's too early to tell, but, if Cavs make changes and get a super power team (on paper) and still don't get a ring, the game changes. It really all depends on how close they make it. If they make it to the finals next year Labron wont become a Knick. If Cavs get knocked out in the first or second round he's out.

Blas

Benchwarmer
I am pretty sure Lebron was already considering leaving Cleveland in the 4th quarter of the game.

Once he had time to clear his head and think about it, he is probably committed to Cleveland. However, I think this has helped our chances in getting him. I honestly do not think Cleveland can pull off a trade to get a Scotty Pippen for Lebron. Expiring contrats of old players going downhill do not equal the value of another star. The only thing Cleveland can get are players who are A) also old and going downhill B) injury prone and/or C) are not good team basketball players.

Clippers?

Baron Davis? He is good for half the season and maybe playoffs.

Camby? Not clutch in playoffs and I am waiting for him to break down again (I do like Camby).

Zach? 20, 10 at the expense of ball movement. Horrible defender. I can see Lebron and Mike Brown punching the guy.

Kaman? He has some hope, but still injury prone. He still is not a down low offensive force that Cleveland can use. Matter in fact I think Big Z can score better the Kaman right now.

Suns?

Shaq? Possibility. But with another year gone, is Shaq even half a Shaq? We already know he cannot play a full season of 30+ minute games. This was probably the year to get him in that trade.

Lebron must realize that he isn't getting that star, unless management can convince him the mo mo is that Pipen and they just need a solid presence down low. This is what makes teams like the Knicks an attractive option. They are young and under the cap and have the ability to find that complement before the King can arrive.

Maybe we can convince Cleveland to take Curry =). If not, if Walsh is desperate he can buy-out Curry's contract and be under the cap to sign two players.

Off-topic: I am not impressed with Lebron. It is completely foolish to say I do not want him on the Knicks, but I rather have a player play the game with the right attitude over winning. Lebron has some more growing up to do and needs to get his head on straight. The fame and millions makes his attitude look like a little boy because in the end, basketball is just a game. It is supposed to fun. It isn't a damn war.

Red

TYPE-A
While I don't agree with walking out and poor sportsmanship I'll chalk it up to immaturity and bitter disappointment. LBJ just learned a valuable lesson: Nothing is guaranteed, no matter how good the regular season goes. That said I believe he's all but gone. My theory is simple... he could taste a chapionship (so close) and he knows he wants to play in NY. This is a set back for him b/c he was totally convinced he would win this year. His lesson taught him MVP or not your supporting cast has to step up. If the leagues best reg. season team failed then the supporting cast from the Knicks in 2010 will actually have the same odds of succeeding/failure thus nullifyimg that comparison. The only other factors are his brand and career. He has learned/knows winning isn't gauranteed and thus only his stature during a brief time in his life is controllable thus FORCING him to become a Knick and play (win or fail) for one of the most storied franchises in the biggest city with the most famous arena. He only would of though about staying IF Clev. developed a "Power house" capable of winning multiple champ's which isn't the case (had they won he might belive different). So in conclusion a winner is never gauramteed but he mind as well fail on the biggest stage ever! Besides that he knows the Knicks are building and moving forward and his Cavs stand as much a chance in losing to us as any other team. LBJ will be a KNICK and if not it won't matter the Knick train is moving forward with or without him!

dre48ny

Rotation player
Cleveland has next year to win it all, if not my best bet is that he is gone. Of course let's wait and see how July 18 plays. On that date he can sign his extension.

Cavs are gonna make a major move this offseason, they have no choice. Shaq and Camby should be their targets. I can also see them go after Ariza or Dlee if we don't sign him. Varejao is opting out.

jimkcchief88

All Star
LeBron is acting like a little girl though...in order to be a complete athlete you have to show good sportsmanship and congratulate the winning team.

I really don't like LeBron, eventhough he's the most talented/gifted/physically superior and probably will be the best player of our era.

But if it helps us bring him to NY...so be it. Just giving my opinion, I don't like the guy, but I'm not fight for him not to come to NYC...because we haven't had an all star or all nba'er in so long. It sucks going into the season with David Lee as your best player.

Mark it down on your calender because I agree with Metro 100% on this one. I could forgive Lebron for walking off the court after the game, thats been done before. But when Lebron finally did an interview, he embarrassed himself. How can you not congradulate your opponent, win or lose??? You are supposed to learn that in little league. This means Lebron is a petulant child and who knows if we need another one of those. Lebron was never one of my favorites, but I was warming up to him before this. He said "I am not going to congradulate my opponent after beating me up, it doesn't make any sense." Hello, this is basketball, not boxing. And boxers do congradulate each other after beating each other up, literally. Lebron needs to stop sipping all that King Kool-aid and get real and realize he is just being a bad sport. He is that guy in the gym that has all the talent, but nobody wants because they are impossible to deal with. Again like school on Saturday, no class.

KBlack25

Starter
I hear what people are saying about him being a crybaby or whatever, a poor sport but I look at it from a different perspective. I don't think anyone can appreciate, as just a fan, how much these guys (especially LeBron) care about winning. I just think LeBron is so competitive and holds himself to such a high standard that it's not "How did that team beat us?" to LeBron. Rather, to him it's "How did I **** up? Why am I not the best?"

My guess is he probably feels a bit disheartened. He worked so hard this season (rumor is he changed his work ethic to a harder one this season after seeing Kobe prepare for the Olympics). He worked his balls off and it wasn't good enough, and the fact is while it may be nice to see a guy say "Hats off to the Magic, they beat us," it just doesn't come that easy to LeBron. It's not that he merely wants to win, it's that he is so competitive that he HAS to win, or else he has failed.

I just think the competitive nature of a guy like LeBron or Kobe is hard for us as just fans to truly sypathize with. I do agree though, it would have been nice to be a bit more sportsman-like, but I just think the way LeBron feels now is something we truly can't comprehend. His competitive nature just runs that deep.

Blas

Benchwarmer
I hear what people are saying about him being a crybaby or whatever, a poor sport but I look at it from a different perspective. I don't think anyone can appreciate, as just a fan, how much these guys (especially LeBron) care about winning. I just think LeBron is so competitive and holds himself to such a high standard that it's not "How did that team beat us?" to LeBron. Rather, to him it's "How did I **** up? Why am I not the best?"

My guess is he probably feels a bit disheartened. He worked so hard this season (rumor is he changed his work ethic to a harder one this season after seeing Kobe prepare for the Olympics). He worked his balls off and it wasn't good enough, and the fact is while it may be nice to see a guy say "Hats off to the Magic, they beat us," it just doesn't come that easy to LeBron. It's not that he merely wants to win, it's that he is so competitive that he HAS to win, or else he has failed.

I just think the competitive nature of a guy like LeBron or Kobe is hard for us as just fans to truly sypathize with. I do agree though, it would have been nice to be a bit more sportsman-like, but I just think the way LeBron feels now is something we truly can't comprehend. His competitive nature just runs that deep.

I would agree with you if we just look at the incident of that night. What made it worse was his interview afterwards, about why he would not congratulate the magic.

He definitely was waiting around after the pistons and hawks series to be congratulated, but now that he lost he doesn't have to congratulate the winners?

I do understand what it means to be competitive, but I also understand there are better things in life to appreciate then letting it absorb me and abolish any of my values. Not to say I personally have not screwed up and let that competitive nature change my attitude into a poor one during and after games; however, in the end I always apologized.

I hope Lebron apologizes because he messed up, regardless of the excuses.