The Cavs Loss: How Does it Affect Our Chances at The King

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I am pretty sure Lebron was already considering leaving Cleveland in the 4th quarter of the game.

Once he had time to clear his head and think about it, he is probably committed to Cleveland. However, I think this has helped our chances in getting him. I honestly do not think Cleveland can pull off a trade to get a Scotty Pippen for Lebron. Expiring contrats of old players going downhill do not equal the value of another star. The only thing Cleveland can get are players who are A) also old and going downhill B) injury prone and/or C) are not good team basketball players.

Clippers?

Baron Davis? He is good for half the season and maybe playoffs.

Camby? Not clutch in playoffs and I am waiting for him to break down again (I do like Camby).

Zach? 20, 10 at the expense of ball movement. Horrible defender. I can see Lebron and Mike Brown punching the guy.

Kaman? He has some hope, but still injury prone. He still is not a down low offensive force that Cleveland can use. Matter in fact I think Big Z can score better the Kaman right now.

Suns?

Shaq? Possibility. But with another year gone, is Shaq even half a Shaq? We already know he cannot play a full season of 30+ minute games. This was probably the year to get him in that trade.

Lebron must realize that he isn't getting that star, unless management can convince him the mo mo is that Pipen and they just need a solid presence down low. This is what makes teams like the Knicks an attractive option. They are young and under the cap and have the ability to find that complement before the King can arrive.

Maybe we can convince Cleveland to take Curry =). If not, if Walsh is desperate he can buy-out Curry's contract and be under the cap to sign two players.

Off-topic: I am not impressed with Lebron. It is completely foolish to say I do not want him on the Knicks, but I rather have a player play the game with the right attitude over winning. Lebron has some more growing up to do and needs to get his head on straight. The fame and millions makes his attitude look like a little boy because in the end, basketball is just a game. It is supposed to fun. It isn't a damn war.

Got to disagree with you on this one. 2010 is a big year in the NBA and lots of teams are trying to get under the cap. Expiring contracts are valuable come trade deadline. The Cavs have got their star. They have no reason to try so hard to get under the cap. As a team that's is a championship contender their objective has to be to improve right now. I'm sure they will land something with three expiring contracts and two more that expire on 2010. That's five tradable assets. We can debate which player could help Labron, but LJ coming to NY right now is a pipe dream.

This of course can change if we bring in some real talent. Say what you will about Amare but he alone can make us an instant playoff team

Last edited:

Blas

Benchwarmer
Got to disagree with you on this one. 2010 is a big year in the NBA and lots of teams are trying to get under the cap. Expiring contracts are valuable come trade deadline. The Cavs have got their star. They have no reason to try so hard to get under the cap. As a team that's is a championship contender their objective has to be to improve right now. I'm sure they will land something with three expiring contracts and two more that expire on 2010. That's five tradable assets. We can debate which player could help Labron, but LJ coming to NY right now is a pipe dream.

This of course can change if we bring in some real talent. Say what you will about Amare but he alone can make us an instant playoff team

I guess my only question is what team would trade their star for expiring contracts? My argument is that the Cavs cannot get a star with expiring contracts, because that is what they need, another star to complement Lebron. They cannot sign one on the off season, and I do not believe their current team has what it takes to win a championship.

Not saying it is impossible (IE Pau Gasol trade).

I have a feeling that if Donnie really wants Lebron, he would buyout Curry's contract in the end to have the cap space to sign Lebron and another star. That would make us attractive.

JayJ44

Starter
I guess my only question is what team would trade their star for expiring contracts? My argument is that the Cavs cannot get a star with expiring contracts, because that is what they need, another star to complement Lebron. They cannot sign one on the off season, and I do not believe their current team has what it takes to win a championship.

I have a feeling that if Donnie really wants Lebron, he would buyout Curry's contract in the end to have the cap space to sign Lebron and another star. That would make us attractive.

Bought out contracts still count against the cap, unfortunately.

ANU

Starter
if he's leaving cleveland, is for the garden.nobody cares about the nets.even when they where winning eastern conference championships the talk was about why the knicks suck.it doesn't matter that he and jay z are "friends".he knows it.

it's all about madison square garden.......

Torp

Benchwarmer
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ehy4MDV7PKM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ehy4MDV7PKM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

check out this video. Starting from 5 minutes. The first time Lebron talked to reporters after bailling out on the media and not shaking anyone's hands, Lebron does the interview wearing a New York Yankees hat, lol... Lebron is so coming to New York. He's pissed at Cleveland and embarrassed at himself for losing. He wants a new start, and what better place than in New York.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

Remember the big open market of 2010 is right around the corner and teams are looking to get under the cap. I'm not saying that the Cavs will get an all-star, but they could get Ben Gordon or Jamal Crawford. They could get a better shot blocker to improve defensively. Hell, the Knicks traded off expiring contracts for years in a poor attempt to improve immediately. The difference is the Cavs are already good.

I think your idea of buying out Curry is on point. Although Dolan seems to be against paying players to leave. Reports indicate that Curry seems to be training well. Hopefully he can get to the point that we can trade him and get something back, expiring contract, picks or something.

KBlack25

Starter
I would agree with you if we just look at the incident of that night. What made it worse was his interview afterwards, about why he would not congratulate the magic.

He definitely was waiting around after the pistons and hawks series to be congratulated, but now that he lost he doesn't have to congratulate the winners?

I do understand what it means to be competitive, but I also understand there are better things in life to appreciate then letting it absorb me and abolish any of my values. Not to say I personally have not screwed up and let that competitive nature change my attitude into a poor one during and after games; however, in the end I always apologized.

I hope Lebron apologizes because he messed up, regardless of the excuses.

I don't disagree, I still think it was poor form for him. I'm just trying to figure out what happened.

To be honest it doesn't affect at all how much I'd like to see LeBron wearing the blue and orange, maybe he is a poor sport, but he is an elite talent the likes of which we haven't seen here in a long long time.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Bought out contracts still count against the cap, unfortunately.

You are right, I completely missed this.

If Donnie plays his cards right maybe he can get Curry to decline is option and we can resign him for a longer contract that is cheaper.

Or we could buyout Curry for less, wait a month, and resign him on another contract (less money per year), again he will get more money and it should help our cap.

Curry needs money that is no secret. If Donnie can give him more money over a longer period of time maybe Curry will bite. Heck I think his agent would approve of this, since he would make more money too.

I don't disagree, I still think it was poor form for him. I'm just trying to figure out what happened.

To be honest it doesn't affect at all how much I'd like to see LeBron wearing the blue and orange, maybe he is a poor sport, but he is an elite talent the likes of which we haven't seen here in a long long time.

To be on Lebron's side in all of this, it is ridiculous how much the media is blowing this up.

Remember the big open market of 2010 is right around the corner and teams are looking to get under the cap. I'm not saying that the Cavs will get an all-star, but they could get Ben Gordon or Jamal Crawford. They could get a better shot blocker to improve defensively. Hell, the Knicks traded off expiring contracts for years in a poor attempt to improve immediately. The difference is the Cavs are already good.

I think your idea of buying out Curry is on point. Although Dolan seems to be against paying players to leave. Reports indicate that Curry seems to be training well. Hopefully he can get to the point that we can trade him and get something back, expiring contract, picks or something.

If the Cav's can get Gordon, on paper I do not see how Lebron could ever leave Cleveland. That would be scary.

metrocard

Legend
This is why I wish the NBA had less teams...we do really need the T'Wolves, Nets, Grizzlies, Thunder, and Clippers?

Drop those teams.

Add Durant, Mayo, Gay, Conley, Gasol, Green, Westbrook, Love, Jefferson, Gordon, Camby, Kaman, Randolph, Davis, Thorton, Lopez, Carter, Harris to some other squads and the NBA will be much more competitive and won't have to worry about teams going backrupt.

F*ck these small cities.

California and Texas have too many teams.

NY only needs one team.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
check out this video. Starting from 5 minutes. The first time Lebron talked to reporters after bailling out on the media and not shaking anyone's hands, Lebron does the interview wearing a New York Yankees hat, lol... Lebron is so coming to New York. He's pissed at Cleveland and embarrassed at himself for losing. He wants a new start, and what better place than in New York.
\

Lol. i noticed the same thing, silent implications.

Lebron can grow up in the next year, who knows?

And he DID get fined 25 grand today for walking out on press.