Thread: Brandon Jenning's stock is falling plus more draft news

Hybrid View

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Default Brandon Jenning's stock is falling plus more draft news

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Note: According to his agent Bill McCandless, up to six NBA teams have offered Beaubois a promise in the second round…

I’m not as in tuned to the Euro game as much as I should be, which is another reason Givoney is such a tremendous asset.

So who is Rodrigue Beaubois? He’s a prospect, from what I’m hearing, who’s REALLY on the Knicks radar.

Alvino sends me a note about this dude Beaubois the other day, who is clearly one of the most athletic players in Europe, so I start to dig and have heard that Beaubois a player that they are really interested to see work. They are said to be extremely disappointed that Brandon Jennings, who Givoney says the Knicks wanted to see extensively, was a no show. Givoney has Beaubois currently as the 30th pick to the Cavs.
    DraftExpress wrote:
    There is a growing sense in NBA circles that Brandon Jennings may be making a mistake by passing up the Reebok Eurocamp in Treviso next week in favor of participating in private NBA workouts. Numerous teams in the lottery have pointed out to us that they do not feel comfortable with the amount of competitive five on five action they’ve seen Jennings partake in, and that they would have a difficult time selecting him based on the body of work he’s put together up until this point.

NBA teams were not allowed to scout Jennings in high school, and many saw their scouting trips to Italy this year come up empty as they only were able to see him play for a few minutes at a time, often at the shooting guard position.

With that in mind, teams like the New York Knicks decided to send out their entire staff to evaluate Jennings in Treviso this upcoming week, with their head coach Mike D’Antoni, General Manager Donnie Walsh, and Director of Player Personnel Misho Ostarcevic all making the trek to Italy, and all bound to be disappointed when they see that Jennings decided to pass on the opportunity to impress them. Jennings may have a difficult time being selected by teams like this solely off what he shows in the three on three portion of their private workout.

Should Jennings slip past Golden State at 7, he may be in for somewhat of a tumble on draft night, as players such as Jonny Flynn and Jrue Holiday appear to be the next point guards on most teams’ boards, and a franchise like Indiana could opt for a more experienced player such as Ty Lawson or Eric Maynor.
    I guess this is the fatality to the Brandon "Jenings" bandwagon after the metro victory.

After Jennings running away from the Europe camp...kinda shows his character and competitive especially since he made D'Antoni and crew waste a plan ticket to Italy for him.

Jennings has zero experience playing point guard in a professional league, so he's really a player out of position.
    Jennings doesn't have shooting range.
    Jenning's is turnover prone and tends to over dribble.

This can only mean (if Knicks are smart), he's off the Knicks big board and will probably fall to the late first round since teams don't really now what he's capable of doing in a professional setting.

IMO...Jennings hasn't proven ****, and should just pull his name out of the draft. Its best for him and the team who ever drafts him to improve his game and prove he can lead a professional team as their PG.

Sounds like a good recipe for a bust.

Yeah, hopefully we don't draft him. After averaging like 5 minutes a game the whole season, you'd think he'd relish at an opportunity to prove himself. Instead he blows it off.

He'll probably be a bust. It looks like he's hiding from the scouts or something.

very interesting thread, a shame he didnt go to college, hopefully other college recruits learn from his mistake of not going to college. basically the only reason this guy is a lottery pick is because of how highly praised he was in high school. i was very dissapointed with some of the game footage i saw of him in italy. but even though theres a lot of reason to be skeptical, i still believe he wont bust in the NBA. i think he'll be a late bloomer. i say it takes 3-4 years before he gets his sea legs under him, and becomes a 17-19 ppg with 5-7 assts.

Superstar

I don't think his draft stock is going to drop that much..6 of the 1st 7 picks are being made by western conference teams where 48 wins or so has proven to be the minimum amount a team has to win to gain respect. All of these bottom west teams I think have to go purely with the highest ceiling at positions needed when making their picks. On ceiling alone, if you've seen Jennings play is near the top of the list in this draft.

Of course he has arguably the best chance at being a bust, but these western conference teams can't pass up on the chance to draft a franchise PG.

I see Sacramento most likely making the pick, and if not them then Minnesota has to take him in my opinion.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by dave2138
    I don't think his draft stock is going to drop that much..6 of the 1st 7 picks are being made by western conference teams where 48 wins or so has proven to be the minimum amount a team has to win to gain respect. All of these bottom west teams I think have to go purely with the highest ceiling at positions needed when making their picks. On ceiling alone, if you've seen Jennings play is near the top of the list in this draft.

Of course he has arguably the best chance at being a bust, but these western conference teams can't pass up on the chance to draft a franchise PG.

I see Sacramento most likely making the pick, and if not them then Minnesota has to take him in my opinion.
    You think...but do you know?
    Take time to read the article so you could realize how Jennings is running away from scouts and GM's and avoiding workouts.

Drafting for the highest ceiling most of the ends up being a fail. Jennings hasn't really improved much from HS...why would any smart GM draft a PG who's progressing at a very low pace...with no experience of running a professional offense?

Who have you seen Jennings play against? Dominating high school virgins?
    Thats not competitive basketball at the highest level or even 2nd highest level, therefor that leaves Jennings unproven.

When could we come to the realization that all Jennings will ever be this point is an and1 baller. He needs to take Rafer Alston's route if he wants to succeed in the NBA.

dpryde hit it right on the nail. All Jennings stock is from his high school hype. People who were part of the hype would feel stupid to let go at this point.

If Jenning's work ethic was on point, he would be in college and probably a top 5 pick. Instead he decided to avoid challenge and expected to get big minutes in Europe. That was a complete failure since he was the SG off the bench who shot as bad as anyone at his position.

Again, explain to me underlying factors that makes Jenning's a franchise PG...I would love to really know and see what you insight you could provide the forum with besides youtube highlights.

And theres no way Sacramento or Golden State are drafting someone they never worked out...or got a chance to fully scout. Thats not how you scout and draft.

Most teams in the lottery don't even know much about Jennings expect he was an elite HS player.

Minnesota will take Tyreke Evans, someone who's built for the NBA, and has proven himself in college.

Tyreke was labeled as "Selfish", but made the transition from SG to PG at Memphis. He could come out of this draft as the best combo guard. A Foye/Evans back court makes more sense than Jennings/Foye. at 6"6 220 with cat-like ability...Evans would be the best prospect available for Minnesota.

Nothing in that post made a lot of sense, just a lot of thinking and not knowing.

draftexpress.com
    nbadraft.net

go read up and catch up. Seriously.

Superstar

I like reading up on numerous mock drafts and scouting reports on mainly the potential lottery picks in the draft that the knicks would be interested in. There are reasons for Jennings being labeled a lock at a top 5 pick by most you really can't deny, just do your own research and you will see. The fact that all the hype is based on scouting reports from high school I agree, but I also agree with many that say the year in Europe really didn't hurt his stock. You have to look past the stats over there and see that he didn't embarrass himself as a 19 year old rookie who was mainly there to learn and get experience rather than show off.

I don't think he is all of a sudden going to be a mid-late round pick just because of a missed workout. It doesn't work that way..

Franchise PG is what you look for with a top 5 pick, and I don't know what you are talking about, but there is definitely that upside with Jennings and its easy to understand why a team would consider taking him at 4 or 6.

"Just a lot of thinking and not knowing"...

Every comment/opinion is based on what we "think"

Its a message board..people post saying what they think.. 4000+ posts and you would think you'd learn that by now. If you don't like what someone thinks, then say you think something different..don't say you know and other people don't know. That's not going to help your argument.

Like I said before, the western conference teams in the lottery, clippers, memphis, oklahoma, minnesota, golden state have to go with the highest upside players at positions they need. It makes sense to me..the reasoning for my opinion is clear since its so tough to compete in the west, why go with a safe pick rather than the highest upside pick. The question is who has the highest upside which is something we can only debate for now.

I like Tyreke Evans, but don't think it makes much sense with Minnesota to have 2 combo guards with him and Foye. To me, Jennings is the better fit for them.

Sacramento goes with best PG available too..We can pretend the knicks will trade for that pick, but its probably more likely that they don't and the draft order stays the way it is.

Point is no one should be surprised watching the draft to see Jennings picked 4 or 6. I agree that he is a high risk, high reward pick, but the "high reward" is what these bottom western conference teams should look at more than the high risk.