Brandon Jenning's stock is falling plus more draft news

metrocard

Legend
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2009/06/07/who-is-rodrigue-beaubois/

Note: According to his agent Bill McCandless, up to six NBA teams have offered Beaubois a promise in the second round?

I?m not as in tuned to the Euro game as much as I should be, which is another reason Givoney is such a tremendous asset.

So who is Rodrigue Beaubois? He?s a prospect, from what I?m hearing, who?s REALLY on the Knicks radar.

Alvino sends me a note about this dude Beaubois the other day, who is clearly one of the most athletic players in Europe, so I start to dig and have heard that Beaubois a player that they are really interested to see work. They are said to be extremely disappointed that Brandon Jennings, who Givoney says the Knicks wanted to see extensively, was a no show. Givoney has Beaubois currently as the 30th pick to the Cavs.
DraftExpress wrote:
There is a growing sense in NBA circles that Brandon Jennings may be making a mistake by passing up the Reebok Eurocamp in Treviso next week in favor of participating in private NBA workouts. Numerous teams in the lottery have pointed out to us that they do not feel comfortable with the amount of competitive five on five action they?ve seen Jennings partake in, and that they would have a difficult time selecting him based on the body of work he?s put together up until this point.

NBA teams were not allowed to scout Jennings in high school, and many saw their scouting trips to Italy this year come up empty as they only were able to see him play for a few minutes at a time, often at the shooting guard position.

With that in mind, teams like the New York Knicks decided to send out their entire staff to evaluate Jennings in Treviso this upcoming week, with their head coach Mike D?Antoni, General Manager Donnie Walsh, and Director of Player Personnel Misho Ostarcevic all making the trek to Italy, and all bound to be disappointed when they see that Jennings decided to pass on the opportunity to impress them. Jennings may have a difficult time being selected by teams like this solely off what he shows in the three on three portion of their private workout.

Should Jennings slip past Golden State at 7, he may be in for somewhat of a tumble on draft night, as players such as Jonny Flynn and Jrue Holiday appear to be the next point guards on most teams? boards, and a franchise like Indiana could opt for a more experienced player such as Ty Lawson or Eric Maynor.

I guess this is the fatality to the Brandon "Jenings" bandwagon after the metro victory.

After Jennings running away from the Europe camp...kinda shows his character and competitive especially since he made D'Antoni and crew waste a plan ticket to Italy for him.

Jennings has zero experience playing point guard in a professional league, so he's really a player out of position.
Jennings doesn't have shooting range.
Jenning's is turnover prone and tends to over dribble.

This can only mean (if Knicks are smart), he's off the Knicks big board and will probably fall to the late first round since teams don't really now what he's capable of doing in a professional setting.

IMO...Jennings hasn't proven shit, and should just pull his name out of the draft. Its best for him and the team who ever drafts him to improve his game and prove he can lead a professional team as their PG.

Sounds like a good recipe for a bust.

JayJ44

Starter
Yeah, hopefully we don't draft him. After averaging like 5 minutes a game the whole season, you'd think he'd relish at an opportunity to prove himself. Instead he blows it off. :td:

He'll probably be a bust. It looks like he's hiding from the scouts or something.

dpryde

Benchwarmer
very interesting thread, a shame he didnt go to college, hopefully other college recruits learn from his mistake of not going to college. basically the only reason this guy is a lottery pick is because of how highly praised he was in high school. i was very dissapointed with some of the game footage i saw of him in italy. but even though theres a lot of reason to be skeptical, i still believe he wont bust in the NBA. i think he'll be a late bloomer. i say it takes 3-4 years before he gets his sea legs under him, and becomes a 17-19 ppg with 5-7 assts.

dave2138

Rotation player
I don't think his draft stock is going to drop that much..6 of the 1st 7 picks are being made by western conference teams where 48 wins or so has proven to be the minimum amount a team has to win to gain respect. All of these bottom west teams I think have to go purely with the highest ceiling at positions needed when making their picks. On ceiling alone, if you've seen Jennings play is near the top of the list in this draft.

Of course he has arguably the best chance at being a bust, but these western conference teams can't pass up on the chance to draft a franchise PG.

I see Sacramento most likely making the pick, and if not them then Minnesota has to take him in my opinion.

metrocard

Legend
I don't think his draft stock is going to drop that much..6 of the 1st 7 picks are being made by western conference teams where 48 wins or so has proven to be the minimum amount a team has to win to gain respect. All of these bottom west teams I think have to go purely with the highest ceiling at positions needed when making their picks. On ceiling alone, if you've seen Jennings play is near the top of the list in this draft.

Of course he has arguably the best chance at being a bust, but these western conference teams can't pass up on the chance to draft a franchise PG.

I see Sacramento most likely making the pick, and if not them then Minnesota has to take him in my opinion.

You think...but do you know?
Take time to read the article so you could realize how Jennings is running away from scouts and GM's and avoiding workouts.

Drafting for the highest ceiling most of the ends up being a fail. Jennings hasn't really improved much from HS...why would any smart GM draft a PG who's progressing at a very low pace...with no experience of running a professional offense?

Who have you seen Jennings play against? Dominating high school virgins?
Thats not competitive basketball at the highest level or even 2nd highest level, therefor that leaves Jennings unproven.

When could we come to the realization that all Jennings will ever be this point is an and1 baller. He needs to take Rafer Alston's route if he wants to succeed in the NBA.

dpryde hit it right on the nail. All Jennings stock is from his high school hype. People who were part of the hype would feel stupid to let go at this point.

If Jenning's work ethic was on point, he would be in college and probably a top 5 pick. Instead he decided to avoid challenge and expected to get big minutes in Europe. That was a complete failure since he was the SG off the bench who shot as bad as anyone at his position.

Again, explain to me underlying factors that makes Jenning's a franchise PG...I would love to really know and see what you insight you could provide the forum with besides youtube highlights.

And theres no way Sacramento or Golden State are drafting someone they never worked out...or got a chance to fully scout. Thats not how you scout and draft.

Most teams in the lottery don't even know much about Jennings expect he was an elite HS player.

Minnesota will take Tyreke Evans, someone who's built for the NBA, and has proven himself in college.

Tyreke was labeled as "Selfish", but made the transition from SG to PG at Memphis. He could come out of this draft as the best combo guard. A Foye/Evans back court makes more sense than Jennings/Foye. at 6"6 220 with cat-like ability...Evans would be the best prospect available for Minnesota.

Nothing in that post made a lot of sense, just a lot of thinking and not knowing.

draftexpress.com
nbadraft.net

go read up and catch up. Seriously.

dave2138

Rotation player
I like reading up on numerous mock drafts and scouting reports on mainly the potential lottery picks in the draft that the knicks would be interested in. There are reasons for Jennings being labeled a lock at a top 5 pick by most you really can't deny, just do your own research and you will see. The fact that all the hype is based on scouting reports from high school I agree, but I also agree with many that say the year in Europe really didn't hurt his stock. You have to look past the stats over there and see that he didn't embarrass himself as a 19 year old rookie who was mainly there to learn and get experience rather than show off.

I don't think he is all of a sudden going to be a mid-late round pick just because of a missed workout. It doesn't work that way..

Franchise PG is what you look for with a top 5 pick, and I don't know what you are talking about, but there is definitely that upside with Jennings and its easy to understand why a team would consider taking him at 4 or 6.

"Just a lot of thinking and not knowing"...

Every comment/opinion is based on what we "think"

Its a message board..people post saying what they think.. 4000+ posts and you would think you'd learn that by now. If you don't like what someone thinks, then say you think something different..don't say you know and other people don't know. That's not going to help your argument.

Like I said before, the western conference teams in the lottery, clippers, memphis, oklahoma, minnesota, golden state have to go with the highest upside players at positions they need. It makes sense to me..the reasoning for my opinion is clear since its so tough to compete in the west, why go with a safe pick rather than the highest upside pick. The question is who has the highest upside which is something we can only debate for now.

I like Tyreke Evans, but don't think it makes much sense with Minnesota to have 2 combo guards with him and Foye. To me, Jennings is the better fit for them.

Sacramento goes with best PG available too..We can pretend the knicks will trade for that pick, but its probably more likely that they don't and the draft order stays the way it is.

Point is no one should be surprised watching the draft to see Jennings picked 4 or 6. I agree that he is a high risk, high reward pick, but the "high reward" is what these bottom western conference teams should look at more than the high risk.

dave2138

Rotation player
comment on Rodrigue Beaubois

"6′1″ with a 6′10″ wingspan, 39″ vertical"

That's a pretty sick wingspan..interesting Rondo comparison 1 of the comments made. Definitely worth buying an early 2nd round pick possibly from Portland to get.

Blas

Benchwarmer
I am not a fan of Tyreke Evans. He has pretty much everything nailed down to the tee to be a great NBA player except for his ball movement. The guy does not like to give up the ball, it is pretty frustrating after watching games with this kid. Hopefully he can be taught out of it. Zach and Harrington haven't learned. There are also reports of his poor attitude, but I do not know how true that is.

Jennings is in over his head. This media hype has ruined him and his attitude. I do not every remember him being this arrogant coming out of high school. I think if he went to college he would have learned more and progressed. If a team drafts him, they will have to break him down a bit and build him up properly.

As far as Rodrigue Beaubois goes:

Just watching his highlight reel and not doing any other research I can only determine:

1) He loves shooting 3's. He is good at shooting 3's. He also has a nice jab step move when he his guarded by another player that I noticed he used a lot.
2) I saw no mid-range game. Just because he can shoot a three does not mean he can hit a mid-range jumper. If that is the case he is seriously just limited himself offensively.
3) He is an athletic freak. Plays big.
4) That video did not show me anything that allows me to think he can play point. Usually when you have a highlight video of a point guard you will get see his play making ability. That is strange.
5) He works great in the transition game, mostly because he is athletic.
6) I do not know how good his defense is. There was that nice shot block after fighting through the screen. It does not tell me enough.

metrocard

Legend
I like reading up on numerous mock drafts and scouting reports on mainly the potential lottery picks in the draft that the knicks would be interested in. .....

There are reasons for Jennings being labeled a lock at a top 5 pick ......

The fact that all the hype is based on scouting reports from high school .....

I also agree with many that say the year in Europe really didn't hurt his stock. ..........
You have to look past the stats .....

see that he didn't embarrass himself as a 19 year old rookie who was mainly there to learn and get experience rather than show off. ........

I don't think he is all of a sudden going to be a mid-late round pick just because of a missed workout...... It doesn't work that way.......

Franchise PG is what you look for with a top 5 pick, and I don't know what you are talking about, but there is definitely that upside with Jennings and its easy to understand why a team would consider taking him at 4 or 6. .........

Every comment/opinion is based on what we "think"...........

Its a message board..people post saying what they think...f you don't like what someone thinks, then say you think something different..don't say you know and other people don't know..... That's not going to help your argument..........

Like I said before, the western conference teams in the lottery, clippers, memphis, oklahoma, minnesota, golden state have to go with the highest upside players at positions they need. It makes sense to me..the reasoning for my opinion is clear since its so tough to compete in the west, why go with a safe pick rather than the highest upside pick.

Sacramento goes with best PG available too..We can pretend the knicks will trade for that pick, but its probably more likely that they don't and the draft order stays the way it is........

Point is no one should be surprised watching the draft to see Jennings picked 4 or 6.......

Well it doesn't show you read up on numberous mock drafts.

List the reasons why Jennings is labeled a top 5 pick on an outdated mock draft.

Maciej Lampe, Tiago Splitter, Martynas Andriuskevicius, and Nemanja Aleksandrov were projected top 5 picks. (check most draft site history for reference)

At the time they were Europe prospects who didn't get minutes, just like Jennings. Splitter now is the only guy in that list who's becoming one of the most elite Europe big men.

But you get my point.
You need to be confident and think for yourself.
Just because someone is mocked top 5, you believe the hype?
Do further research...don't stay ignorant or blind to the mockhype.

Who are the "most" that say a year in Europe doesn't hurt his stock?
Any smart GM would know Jennings is the most inexperienced player in this draft.

How can he make a transition to the NBA without having any experience in a professional league?
Telfair is a better passer than Jennings and had a tough time getting adjusted to the NBA after being traded 3 times already.

Jennings does not have experience playing PG in Europe either...he was used as a SG...obviously his team in Europe saw his skills best fit the SG position and his PG skills were really undeveloped in HS...he's not good at using the pick and roll which is why he can't play PG in Europe because the pick and roll is key over there. Knicks are a pick and roll team in the half court...why would we ever want Jennings? He can learn it, but why waste years on developing an unproven player when you could have a developed proven player in Lawson who's only 2-3 years older?

Nope, never look past the stats. The stats are the fats.
Your performance is an indicator that you learned.
His performance shows he didn't really improve.

Who says it doesn't work that way? Maybe it doesn't...but you really don't look credible at all when you don't post a source. Next time you post please provide a base for your argument...I get really lost reading your post...like where is this guy getting this stuff?

- Decision making
- Dominant ball-handler

- Efficiency
- Out of control
- Shot-selection

- Ability to fight through screens
- Activity level
- Commitment to playing defense
- Man to man defense

- Academic issues?
- Leadership skills
- Not ready to contribute immediately
- Not productive enough
- Average size
- Upper body strength

- Poor rebounder
- 3-point shooting percentages
- Ability to catch and shoot
- Low shooting percentages

That sure does sound like a franchise PG.

You're thinking too much.
When you're trying to make a point, you state what you know, not what you think.
When you're giving your opinion, thats when you state what you think.

You have an inability in differentiating between the two. I'm just trying to help you out with your problem here.

Its a message board...people say what they think, what they know, they post articles update the forum and people like you.

Because if you just stay with what you think...then you're gonna be ignorant for a while, especially with the display of ignorance your showing about the draft.
Its nothing to be mad about either.

..., you do that alot. Too many unfinished thoughts? Too much thinking?

How can you convince me to believe something if you don't know it?
Thats all I'm asking.

I post something I know, and then I post the source that I get my information from. How is that so wrong? Because it doesn't support your arguement?

I think you should show a little more maturity and just learn how to say "Wow, I didn't know that about him, thanks for the link...now I know".

Thats all I'm trying to do...but you're being way too hardheaded and immature to take in the education.

You repeated yourself about the Western Conference thing.

If a West Conference team is trying to compete.
Why would they take a player that would take longer to develop?
If you're trying to be competitive, you start right away...take the player that will help you get the W the most. That makes sense rather than drafting away like the Clippers.

Where is your source that Jennings will be picked 4th or 6th? Please show me something besides an outdated mock draft site.

And Randy Foye could be like Chauncey Billups with work.
Billups didn't average anything over 6-7 assist until he was 29. He was averaging the same amount Foye did for Minnesota.
Foye is like 25-26...

Evans played PG in college also...so Evans and Foye will feed off each other, and its better for Minnesota to have two passers on the perimeter, to drop it off to Love or Jefferson. All they need is a SF...a strong scoring with 3pt range to complete their young starting 5.

Evans is better than Jennings, and actually proved he was a better PG since he played PG in the NCAA and Jennings played SG in Europe. Evans is built for the NBA, at 6"6 220 lbs..while Jennings is 170 with no upper body strength and would be snapped in half trying to drive to the basket.

dave2138

Rotation player
We just have to end it at an agree to disagree topic.

I actually agree that he has the greatest chance of the lottery picks to be a bust, but like I said in my previous posts, his upside which has been talked about for the past 2 years will be the reason he should be a top 6 pick which is what we disagree on.

I mean we shouldn't really debate the upside he has..you can see from draftexpress or nbadraft.net, right above the weaknesses is his strengths. True PG, great athleticism, ability to create own shot as well as for others..talent alone he is right behind Rubio as the best pg available. Why should we argue that? You don't have to sell to me his weaknesses, I am aware of them..I'm speaking for what I think Sacramento and Minnesota should do and I think I explained the reason clear enough.

In the lottery you should go with best available at a position in need and in a conference where it is difficult to compete, you take more into affect who will be the better player with some more experience and not just for this season. Jennings is a perfect example of someone who's draft stock dropped only because of inexperience. Something Sacramento/Minnesota shouldn't penalize him for.

Anyway thanks for some respect you gave me in your response. Well, from you I take it as respect because you didn't call me a cracker or make fun of my religion. You are learning to communicate like a normal person! Very proud of you! Keep up the good work.

metrocard

Legend
His upisde is Tony Parker.
Do you know how special Tony Parker's situation was?

Parker was a proven Euro. Jennings isn't.
Parker has the luxury to play with Duncan and many great veterans, especially Avery Johnson.

In order for Jennings to reach his upside, the situation must be perfect for him.
The right coach.
Play with the right franchise player, but he'll never be a franchise player himself (Tony Parker isn't a franchise player, complimentary scorer)

Curry, Evans, Lawson, Maynor, Teague, and even Holiday all produced in their respective league. Meaning they have documentation they can produce. They're not going off HS hype...HS was a year or two ago for them. We're in 2009. What Jennings has shown from 2008-2009 doesn't even make him a 2nd round pick.

If Jennings had won some respect in his league and they were some good reports from Italy, I would on Jennings side. The more elite PG's in the NBA, the better. I don't see Jennings being one of them because he has no experience being a PG. High School doesn't count like I said. His resume stinks.

Are you still butt hurt from the other thread? That was last week...focus on getting your draft game up to date. Word of advice. I know I'm an asshole...don't rub it in.

What do you think about Jennings running away from scouts? If you were Min or Sac would you take a prospect who doesn't want to showcase his abilities? What does that tell you about his character?

You didn't answer the rest of my questions, but I'll just take it as you agreeing.

metrocard

Legend
comment on Rodrigue Beaubois

"6′1″ with a 6′10″ wingspan, 39″ vertical"

That's a pretty sick wingspan..interesting Rondo comparison 1 of the comments made. Definitely worth buying an early 2nd round pick possibly from Portland to get.

and...?
Can he run an offense?

If we're going to draft a PG with the 8...and we already got inked with Sergio Rodriguez, they won't be any room for Beaubois.