Big Moves Are in the Making

Toons

is the Bo$$
LOS ANGELES -- Though the Knicks likely will take a combo-type guard in the June 25 NBA Draft, Knicks team president Donnie Walsh will eye a center with his $5 million mid-level exception during free agency, and Orlando's 7-foot backup Marcin Gortat is very high on his list, The Post has learned.

KNICKS BLOG

The Knicks had no interior defensive presence, and that's Gortat's strength. He also blocks shots and rebounds. (The Knicks were last in blocked shots the past two years).

The Polish big man originally was drafted by coach Mike D'Antoni's Suns in the second round of 2005, but they traded his rights. Gortat probably will not be re-signed because he plays a smallish role as Dwight Howard's backup and the Magic can't pay him accordingly.

Gortat said the Knicks could be an ideal spot. Gortat (four points, three rebounds) played 15 minutes last night as Magic coach Stan Van Gundy often used a twin-tower alignment to combat the Lakers' size.

Magic general manager Otis Smith can match any offer, but said he knows it will be a financial challenge to retain Gortat.

"I'll just deal with it and the market will dictate where he goes," Smith added. "I would like to keep him on our team, but it depends if someone wants to make him a starter and figures out what's my breaking point. I'm sure teams will make a run for him."

"I love New York, I can tell you that," Gortat said. "It was the first city I landed when I landed in the states five years ago. I love Coach D'Antoni and I know [Danilo] Gallinari from Europe."

ABC's Mark Jackson still has coaching on his radar. The commentator recently hired an agent -- CAA -- to help his search. Jackson did not get any interviews during this offseason.

"I look forward to making that guy who has the courage to pull the trigger, I'm looking forward to making him look awfully good," Jackson said

Gortat, curry, jackson....possibly 3 big additions to the knicks

I like gortat, he's a gritty player who can block shots. and we all know that i favor curry at the 6th pick and it looks like he''ll be here in ny if he's still available.

curry
chandler
gallinari
harrington
Gortat

trade q for a late first round pick, and package lee and jefferies for darko, conley and a second rounder or cash. If curry comes back in shape, trade him by all-star break for camby who will find it hard to get minutes from randolph, kaman and their draft pick.

stephan curry/duhon
chandler/nate
gallinari/ harrington
lee/darko
gortat/curry

this way we remain competitive, have a crazy shooting team, gortat and lee on da boards...darko and gortat blocking shots...and we get rid of eddy curry and jefferies and q-brick and save moeny for 2010

metrocard

Legend
Lawson would be a better fit for this team.

Gortat is interesting tho.

He's very foul prone, but in 36 minutes per, he averages

4.5 offensive rebounds
8.5 defensive rebounds
13.1 total rebounds
2.3 blocks
5.0 fouls
11.2 points.

Thats actually really good productive for a back up center.
If he comes at a cheap price, its a good move.
Hopefully its not a Jerome James type move...and we get him for cheap.

Definately better than Lee if we get those numbers and finally a shot blocker who's 7 feet.

GetRealistic

Starter
I got excited when i saw the title Big Moves are in the making.

I agree with Metro that Gortat would be a good signing if it was at a reasonable price. i don't want to overpay the guy though.. He'd be an ideal backup bigman on a good team, so if we were able to sign him at a reasonable price i'd sign off on it easily.

It should be an interesting few weeks after the finals are completed.

Toons

is the Bo$$
lawson or curry will do well in this system

gortat wont ask for much, he already said he loves new york, the jerome james situation is kinda similar, but i had gortat on my fantasy roster in a deep league for some blocks n shit. I would sign him to a long term deal....12 mil 4 years

Scribbles

Rotation player
LOS ANGELES -- Though the Knicks likely will take a combo-type guard in the June 25 NBA Draft, Knicks team president Donnie Walsh will eye a center with his $5 million mid-level exception during free agency, and Orlando's 7-foot backup Marcin Gortat is very high on his list, The Post has learned.

KNICKS BLOG

The Knicks had no interior defensive presence, and that's Gortat's strength. He also blocks shots and rebounds. (The Knicks were last in blocked shots the past two years).

The Polish big man originally was drafted by coach Mike D'Antoni's Suns in the second round of 2005, but they traded his rights. Gortat probably will not be re-signed because he plays a smallish role as Dwight Howard's backup and the Magic can't pay him accordingly.

Gortat said the Knicks could be an ideal spot. Gortat (four points, three rebounds) played 15 minutes last night as Magic coach Stan Van Gundy often used a twin-tower alignment to combat the Lakers' size.

Magic general manager Otis Smith can match any offer, but said he knows it will be a financial challenge to retain Gortat.

"I'll just deal with it and the market will dictate where he goes," Smith added. "I would like to keep him on our team, but it depends if someone wants to make him a starter and figures out what's my breaking point. I'm sure teams will make a run for him."

"I love New York, I can tell you that," Gortat said. "It was the first city I landed when I landed in the states five years ago. I love Coach D'Antoni and I know [Danilo] Gallinari from Europe."

ABC's Mark Jackson still has coaching on his radar. The commentator recently hired an agent -- CAA -- to help his search. Jackson did not get any interviews during this offseason.

"I look forward to making that guy who has the courage to pull the trigger, I'm looking forward to making him look awfully good," Jackson said

Gortat, curry, jackson....possibly 3 big additions to the knicks

I like gortat, he's a gritty player who can block shots. and we all know that i favor curry at the 6th pick and it looks like he''ll be here in ny if he's still available.

curry
chandler
gallinari
harrington
Gortat

trade q for a late first round pick, and package lee and jefferies for darko, conley and a second rounder or cash. If curry comes back in shape, trade him by all-star break for camby who will find it hard to get minutes from randolph, kaman and their draft pick.

stephan curry/duhon
chandler/nate
gallinari/ harrington
lee/darko
gortat/curry

this way we remain competitive, have a crazy shooting team, gortat and lee on da boards...darko and gortat blocking shots...and we get rid of eddy curry and jefferies and q-brick and save moeny for 2010

Huh? How'd you have Lee in your rotation when you already sent him and Jeffries packing for Darko.....

GM FAIL.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
BTW......

Mike D?Antoni?s New York Knicks apparently taking a strong liking to senior Jack McClinton, to the point that they could try to buy a pick in the late first round to ensure they land his services.

anyone know who this guy is?
<!--
-->