Gortat to Knicks?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
ORLANDO'S GORTAT ON KNICKS RADAR

By MARC BERMAN

LOS ANGELES -- Though the Knicks likely will take a combo-type guard in the June 25 NBA Draft, Knicks team president Donnie Walsh will eye a center with his $5 million mid-level exception during free agency, and Orlando's 7-foot backup Marcin Gortat is very high on his list, The Post has learned.

KNICKS BLOG

The Knicks had no interior defensive presence, and that's Gortat's strength. He also blocks shots and rebounds. (The Knicks were last in blocked shots the past two years).

The Polish big man originally was drafted by coach Mike D'Antoni's Suns in the second round of 2005, but they traded his rights. Gortat probably will not be re-signed because he plays a smallish role as Dwight Howard's backup and the Magic can't pay him accordingly.

Gortat said the Knicks could be an ideal spot. Gortat (four points, three rebounds) played 15 minutes last night as Magic coach Stan Van Gundy often used a twin-tower alignment to combat the Lakers' size.

Magic general manager Otis Smith can match any offer, but said he knows it will be a financial challenge to retain Gortat.

"He's got the best job in America, playing behind my best player, playing 8 to 10 minutes," Smith said. "He goes out and does his job and probably has the best work ethic of anyone in the locker room. Can he start for another team? Yeah he can.

"I'll just deal with it and the market will dictate where he goes," Smith added. "I would like to keep him on our team, but it depends if someone wants to make him a starter and figures out what's my breaking point. I'm sure teams will make a run for him."

Gortat averaged 12 minutes, scoring 3.8 points and 4.5 rebounds. Van Gundy, whose Magic team lost 101-96 in overtime and trails the best-of-seven series, 2-0, said he may play him more in The Finals to combat the Lakers' size advantage.

"I love New York, I can tell you that," Gortat said. "It was the first city I landed when I landed in the states five years ago. I love Coach D'Antoni and I know [Danilo] Gallinari from Europe."

I like the way he plays but I just don't know how well he'll fit in D'Antoni's system. Good defender and shot blocker, which the Knicks need. I'd still prefer to get Sean Williams though.

Ewing

Benchwarmer
Definitely a good player.
He has good numbers every time he gets on the floor, and I'm sure he'll get 10pts and 10reb a night in a team with lack of inside presence, say the Knicks.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
If we're going to lose David Lee, I definitely think that Gortat is an adequate replacement, especially if we can sign him for no more than the mid-level and possibly dump other contracts in other transactions this summer. In the few minutes that he does get to play he has shown that he can play post DEFENSE and box out, something that we lacked last season. He also has an OK jump shot, something that Lee doesn't really have.

ANU

Starter
a lee gortat frontline would be excellent.gortat is a tough guy, and lee can provide the post offense.

sealy23

Rookie
He is very underrated. What a compliment to Lee he would be, if Lee resigns.

But if Lee doesn't and they grab Bosh or Stoudemire in '10 that would make a pretty formidable front court and he would guard the better opposing big man, which I'm sure a scoring PF would greatly appreciate

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Gortat or Dalembert

Assuming that we are not able to trade up in the draft for Thabeet, the question is:

Gortat or Dalembert?

Gortat is apparently available for the right money, although the Knicks may get beat out by someone who has more cap room than the $5M exception.

Dalembert is also possible, although more expensive, and the Sixers may not want to deal with the Knicks.

dave2138

Rotation player
I don't consider him good enough to have to add to the payroll for past the 2010 off season..What has he proven this year? He's played good in the playoffs, but so did Jerome James. 5,6 mil is too much to give someone who hasn't proven he can be a consistent starter yet especially on this team that's main focus is to cut salary as much as possible.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Gortat? He's a limited version of Z. Ilgauskas.

We can do better with the MLE.

He's a good bench player but let's not blow money now....

Example: A couple of Celtics big men are gonna be FA this year. I wouldn't mind stealing Powe and putting him in our rotation...

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
I like Gortat, he's fundamentally sound and is in good shape. I don't know, however, if he's a capable of dominating, because he gets limited playing time. If we can get him for cheap, I say we sign him.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
good news but i doubt it'll happen

magic, esp. gundy speaks highly of him, but makes no sense as he doesn't get much playing time

imo the magic overall play harder and better with gortat out there...howard is so stiff in the post with absolutely 0 post moves

also dun forget about what happened last series-

nyk_nyk

All Star
Once I see a list of possible players we can seriously get for the MLE then I can make a proper assessment. However, Gortat is a 7 footer who plays defense. That's meds for the knicks.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
this would be a huge signing he's a perfect fit and theres room for improvement considering he's 25 ( i think)

JayJ44

Starter
He's obviously a skilled shot blocker, post defender, and rebounder. These would be great additions, but is Gortat able to play 30-35 minutes a night? That remains to be seen...

He fills a need though, so I would be in favor of signing him.