Knicks' Workout Schedule

JayJ44

Starter
Inside the Workouts

So we just got finished up with Ty Lawson, Johnny Flynn and Villanova’s Donte Cunningham and there are some interesting thoughts as the two held court in different parts of the media room.
Both players were extremely (as you’d imagine) complimentary of each other. Flynn admired Lawson’s quickness and strength and Lawson respected the heck out of Flynn’s edginess, which the Syracuse guard knows smaller players need to succeed.
“You have to play with an edge,” Flynn said with a smile that most definitely can light up the Garden. “As a smaller player if you don’t have that you can’t last.”
Flynn is hearing that he is in the top half of “point guards” to be taken in June, but more importantly both he and Lawson want to state their case that they are true point guards, not a two trying to learn the one like Davidson’s Stephen Curry. What makes a player think pass first, you ask? Well, as Flynn points out, getting beat up by the older kids.
“I learned to play the one as a little kid and you have to facilitate or the bigger guys kick you off the court,” Flynn joked. ” Where I’m from you have to learn how to pass first and then scoring completes your game. Then you get with a coach who can allow you to run their office and you go from there.”
Both Lawson and Flynn are very impressive and you can bet that Donnie Walsh will pinpoint exactly what the team needs. You’d still have to figure that Rubio, Jrue Holiday and Stephen Curry are on top of that list, but if all are gone and Walsh wants a real quarterback to drive Mike D’Antoni’s offense, you’d think that today’s workout will have a big part in who he selects should that situation present itself.
Interestingly, Chad Ford has Ty Lawson going 24th to the Blazers.
Tomorrow, Dionte Chrismas (Temple), B.J. Mullins (Ohio State), and Rashaad Singleton (Georgia) will join Gerald Henderson, Jrue Holiday and Stephen Curry.
Notes:
For all you Big East or, more specifically, Villanova fans, Cunningham is hearing interest from Miami, Detroit and San Antonio. Root for the latter, as he’d be a great, lanky, high IQ and active big man who could eventually see rotation minutes. Players like that excel on good teams. Heck, a young Malik Rose made a nice living out of that and Cunningham has a higher ceiling for me.
Lawson, officially put the comparisons to Ray Felton to bed…
Flynn on Lawson’s workout: “I didn’t know he was that athletic….he’s one of the fastest guys I’ve ever seen with the ball…”
Flynn on D’Antoni’s system: “Every basketball player’s type of offense. Most players grow up playing games where shots go up in 10 seconds and to have a coach…”
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2009/06/09/inside-the-workouts/

Jonny Flynn came in smiling, almost giddy to be wearing the colors of his favorite team.
"I grew up a die-hard Knicks fan, dating back to the Miami-New York series when they had people swinging from people’s legs and things like that," the Syracuse floor general said after his predraft workout with the Knicks Tuesday at the MSG Training Center. "It would mean a lot for me to stay home.”
Across the room was Ty Lawson sitting in a chair with an obvious chip on his shoulder and mentioned, by name, ESPN mock draftologist Chad Ford, among others who are not ranking him higher among the point guards in this draft. Ford has Lawson going No. 24 (Portland).
“People say I’m injury prone and too short," Lawson said. "I mean, we’re just going to see what happens on draft day and after the draft. I’ll prove everybody wrong.”
The two point guards were the headliners among six players (Dante Cunningham, Toney Douglas, Leo Lyons and Tywain McKee) the Knicks looked at on Tuesday. They will bring in six more Wednesday, led by another pair of point guards in Stephen Curry and Jrue Holiday. Temple's Dionte Christmas, Duke's Gerald Henderson and a pair of seven-footers in B.J. Mullens (Ohio State) and Rashaad Singleton (Georgia) will also be in the group.
Lawson and Flynn are the smallest players in the draft, according to the combine results, but they both are more of the old-school floor general types that someone like Donnie Walsh can appreciate. Flynn caught everyone's attention after his memorable performance in the six-overtime epic against UConn during the Big East Tournament at the Garden. Lawson led a loaded North Carolina squad to back-to-back Final Four appearances and this year's NCAA title.
And both have solid frames and are explosive enough to dunk. And, as Lawson said, “You can make up size with speed.”
http://blogs.trb.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2009/06/lawson_ill_prove_everybody_wro.html

Ty Lawson has become one of the most underrated players in this draft. He's top 10 material, I don't understand how he's projected to go in the 20's. If we draft him, I would be very happy.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
smh @ going for a pg, poor knick fans

i hope they put aside a week for sg's and big men tho, but lookin at it now very few are slightly impressive at most

this looks like a shitty draft tbh

JayJ44

Starter
smh @ going for a pg, poor knick fans

i hope they put aside a week for sg's and big men tho, but lookin at it now very few are slightly impressive at most

this looks like a shitty draft tbh

SMH @ people thinking Nate Robinson can be a starting PG on a good team. He's a chucker and a ball hog, with poor passing skills. Duhon is trash, so that leaves us with pretty much nothing at the PG position. Being that this one of the deepest drafts ever at PG, it's the perfect time to pick one up.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
SMH @ people thinking Nate Robinson can be a starting PG on a good team. He's a chucker and a ball hog, with poor passing skills. Duhon is trash, so that leaves us with pretty much nothing at the PG position. Being that this one of the deepest drafts ever at PG, it's the perfect time to pick one up.

agreed, i hear we're after the 2nd pick so we could grab rubio that would be huge. exactly the player we need, could become a steve nash in this system, we saw what nash did at the back end of his prime ( 2 mvps) and rbio has plenty of upside.

JayJ44

Starter
agreed, i hear we're after the 2nd pick so we could grab rubio that would be huge. exactly the player we need, could become a steve nash in this system, we saw what nash did at the back end of his prime ( 2 mvps) and rbio has plenty of upside.

If Donnie can get that done, we should build a statue of him in front of MSG. lol

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
yep! **** N8 & **** Duhon.

I like N8, but I couldn't stand him @ the 1 for a whole season. He's too wrapped up in his appeal to be a pass first player. His shot is NOT consistent enough to be a 2nd option scorer and a play maker as one.

His royal hanus Isiah Thomas, Tim Hardaway, N8 Archibald, CP3 even Magic are the only players I've ever seen be really successful at winning while dividing the play maker/2nd go to scorer.

N8 hasn't got that edge. He's a bench player plain and simple. I'm not hating on him though.

We do need a big, but who can we honestly say is worth drafting bar Thabeet as a starting 5 man? Someone we can at least realistically acquire.

Beats me!

Point guards;

Get 'em while they're hot.

the portable man

Benchwarmer

it aint deep if rubio is the only highly skilled one. if they cant pick him up, no point in draftin another pg when n8 is better and can do the same things upon request. nothin special bout the rest. its either rubio or pure shooter SG. lets hope they dont waste a good pick

Last edited:

the portable man

Benchwarmer
yep! **** N8 & **** Duhon.

I like N8, but I couldn't stand him @ the 1 for a whole season. He's too wrapped up in his appeal to be a pass first player. His shot is NOT consistent enough to be a 2nd option scorer and a play maker as one.

His royal hanus Isiah Thomas, Tim Hardaway, N8 Archibald, CP3 even Magic are the only players I've ever seen be really successful at winning while dividing the play maker/2nd go to scorer.

N8 hasn't got that edge. He's a bench player plain and simple. I'm not hating on him though.

We do need a big, but who can we honestly say is worth drafting bar Thabeet as a starting 5 man? Someone we can at least realistically acquire.

Beats me!

Point guards;

Get 'em while they're hot.

most u talk out of ur ass. i dont care if ur tellin it unbiasedly. u don't know if nate would be bad or good at pg for a whole season becuz he doesn't get that opportunity. and look what happened last season, the season b4, and season b4 that. failure to grant him that privilege and u won't see improvement. simply put he has yet to be given a chance and years have passed by.

on another note, like i said b4, u dont start duhon at pg when u have a better and quicker dribbler who can also put up points. this is just an example of professional sports ****ups. there is no doubt nate can pass, puttin up 4apg off the bench and easily bein able to do pick & roll and dish inside.

the many times duhon is not able to beat his man off the dribble, they rely on pick & rolls and off-ball screens. those obv wont always be available if theres good defense. in those situations u would have another option in nate who is pretty much unstoppable 1-on-1 for penetration plays like rafer alston or chris paul.

with that said, there is no one other than rubio worth gettin. rubio n nate as startin backcourt tho would be incredible. if that can happen, im immediately gettin a 20-gm tickets package. otherwise, no one else is ****in with nate i dont care what excuses u guys or pro coachin staff make. "oh he's too erratic" "not really a pg!"

the funniest thing about all this nonsense about ball hoggin and poor passin is that nate averages only 1.52 TO's per game :rofl: realize this and snap back into reality

all these posts make me wanna :barf:now

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
most u talk out of ur ass. i dont care if ur tellin it unbiasedly. u don't know if nate would be bad or good at pg for a whole season becuz he doesn't get that opportunity. and look what happened last season, the season b4, and season b4 that. failure to grant him that privilege and u won't see improvement. simply put he has yet to be given a chance and years have passed by.

on another note, like i said b4, u dont start duhon at pg when u have a better and quicker dribbler who can also put up points. this is just an example of professional sports ****ups. there is no doubt nate can pass, puttin up 4apg off the bench and easily bein able to do pick & roll and dish inside.

the many times duhon is not able to beat his man off the dribble, they rely on pick & rolls and off-ball screens. those obv wont always be available if theres good defense. in those situations u would have another option in nate who is pretty much unstoppable 1-on-1 for penetration plays like rafer alston or chris paul.

with that said, there is no one other than rubio worth gettin. rubio n nate as startin backcourt tho would be incredible. if that can happen, im immediately gettin a 20-gm tickets package. otherwise, no one else is ****in with nate i dont care what excuses u guys or pro coachin staff make. "oh he's too erratic" "not really a pg!"

the funniest thing about all this nonsense about ball hoggin and poor passin is that nate averages only 1.52 TO's per game :rofl: realize this and snap back into reality

I'm actually happy someone is being so optimistic about nate. Everybody's been bashing him most of the season.

I do hope nate gets re-signed. He has shown glimpses of being a pretty good point. But for him to quiet his critics he will have to show it for a full season. Hopefully he gets a shot at being our starting PG.

JayJ44

Starter
it aint deep if rubio is the only highly skilled one. if they cant pick him up, no point in draftin another pg when n8 is better and can do the same things upon request. nothin special bout the rest. its either rubio or pure shooter SG. lets hope they dont waste a good pick

Stephen Curry, Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Jonny Flynn, and Brandon Jennings are all far better than Nate. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Everyone knows Duhon is trash, you're stating the obvious and acting like your a prophet.

Nate's a nice bench player, nothing more. He shoots 43 percent from the field, and ranks 44th in the NBA in assist to turnover ratio. He is not a starting PG. He is a 5'9 combo guard, who cannot be trusted to be your main floor general and distributer. He cannot compare to any of the top PG's in this draft.

smokes

Huge Member
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...h_dantoni_divided_between_holiday_and_lawson/

looks like if the knicks stay put at 8 they're going to choose between Jrue, Ty, Curry, and Flynn not bad at all. i would'nt be mad

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi..._use_mobleys_contract_with_draft_night_trade/

and us getting the 2 pick is real likely we just gotta sweeten the deal a little, and hey rubio is worth it.

Ty and Flynn yeah I wouldn't be mad, not sold on Curry or Holiday though.

If the 2 pick comes through Donnie is gonna be a legend in 2009... This trade ain't just a pipedream it's so possible if we put the right pieces together. Problem is Memphis don't have much that matches up with our contracts. Milicic is the only guy with a contract that can match up to Lee, so scratching that we got very few pieces they might want.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Yea I agree, rubio in my opinion has to happen we need a player of his skill set and his caliber on this team we are a bunch of role players that start and over preform because of the system. Rubio would not only elevate those players preformances but would make chandler more dsangerous since he's better without the ball and he's perfect to set up gallo so he's a team player and makes those around him better which is what a superstar does.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
after reading the articles in the nypost

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06102009/sports/knicks/dan__knicks_not_locked_on_curry_yet_173503.htm

and

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06092009/sports/knicks/knicks_looking_at_flynn_173255.htm

the impression i got was the knicks are choosing from; Stephen Curry, Jonny Flynn, Jrue Holiday, and Ty Lawson with Tyreke Evans also remaining possibility.

i wouldn't be mad at all if we choose any of these players, i was aganist Curry early but after watching videos on hi and reading on his pros and cons he really wouldn't be a bad pick, and he has potential to be a great player as well cause he puts in the work.and thats a huge part of becoming great.

Stephen Curry is obviously the best shooter of the group and from what ive looked up on him his passing is just as good he has a high basketball iq and he can create his shot( something JJ Reddick never could do) as well as he could drive to the basket and finish with consistency. if he could get bigger ( which comes with time) theres no telling how good he couls be.

Jonny Flynn is the most athletic of the group and he reminds many of nate robinson with this athleticism but he is a born leader in the Billups mold, he has a great sense of the game, and can run a team well, he's a pass first passer and can set up the team and get them going as well as drive to the basket abd get to the line with high efficiency. but he would be a great fit for the knicks as well.

Ty Lawson is the most proven winner of the group comes from a great system in UNC and played well and has shown he can improve on his weaknesses year in and year out. he plays the game at a high pace( so do we) and he could take it inside or settle for the J. his defense is great as he had 8 steals in the championship game, he's a great passer and plays smart he too has what it takes to lead the team well. perhaps better then the others.

Jrue Holiday is the biggest question mark hes got the most bust potential and the most upside of them all, he's the most rounded player of them, he could shoot pass, drive anything. the most impressive thing he has is his defense-which we desperately need. his jumpshot needs work but so do alot of rookies, his drive is good and he has another gear to him that he could switch and play faster and more improved. he's smart bt just needs to get on the court to better polish his skills.

lastly Tyreke Evans is the most NBA ready of all of em( body wise at least) and his jumpshot is good but he just needs to learn when to shoot and when not to shoot, reminds me of a Joe Johnson with his jumpshot and the ability to run the point with efficiency as well as play the 2-guard and move well without the ball. but the player i see most in him is Gilbert Arenas he will likely end up being a PG although he should be a 2-guard. he'll take lots of shots and miss lots of shots but he'll make the big ones. if he could learn to control his shooting and be smarter with his shots, he could be a superstar in no time.

with that said i wouldn't mind any of them being picked by us as they all have potential and they all could not reach that potential, just depends on how bad they want it Curry has been the most impressive and is gaining interest from more teams, and he would be a perfect fit for us and i wouldnt worry at all with the PG skills he's shown.