S. Curry Receives High Praise and "Wows" Knicks Brass

Scribbles

Rotation player
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix1112866753jun10,0,5129169.story

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - Stephen Curry was leaving the gym Wednesday here at the MSG Training Center with the exhausted nets singed and the Knicks salivating after his predraft workout. Mike D'Antoni approached the Davidson star just before he reached the exit.

"We can't draft you," D'Antoni said.

A perplexed Curry, who has made it clear the Knicks would be his preferred destination, offered a quizzical, "Why?"

"Because," D'Antoni continued, " Allan Houston said he doesn't want to be the second-best shooter in Knicks history."

Curry has been anticipating this day since he declared for the NBA draft and seemed content with his performance in front of D'Antoni, Donnie Walsh and the rest of the Knicks staff, including, yes, Houston.

"It seems every time my name comes up, everybody says New York," Curry said. "I mean, who wouldn't want to play here?"

That is now for fate - and Walsh - to ultimately decide. The Knicks, who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday, have the eighth overall pick and there has been talk that some teams ahead of the Knicks - Washington (No. 5), Minnesota (No. 6) and even Oklahoma City (No. 2) - hold the 6-3 guard with the sniper's touch in high regard. There are other teams, such as the Bobcats (12th) and Trail Blazers (24th), who might look to trade up in order to get him.

"It's great for me to go as high as I can, but coming here would be equally as fun for me," Curry said. "I'm going into it with an open mind and not hoping for a team to pick me up, just making the best of whatever situation I come into. I'm just excited to see what happens."

As the Knicks attempt to set the table for a run at LeBron James in 2010, they need star-quality players like this. It helps that James and Curry are friends. Curry promised he would do his part in the recruiting process.

"I got him on the text message contact list," Curry said.

Other than the Knicks, Curry has worked out only for the Bobcats - his hometown team, where his father, former NBA player Dell Curry, works - and has a workout scheduled next week with the Wizards. If Curry shuts it down at this point, it would give a strong indication that the Knicks have all but guaranteed him the pick at No. 8, which has been speculated for the past month.

At yesterday's workout, Curry was joined in the six-man group by another highly-regarded prospect in Jrue Holiday. The UCLA freshman didn't sound confident in his performance - "Stupid turnovers, little things like that," he said.

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
I dunno about Curry, what I've seen of him ain't great but I guess he must be doing something special to impress them this much. Will be a very interesting preseason no doubt to see which of these rookies can really play.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
It doesn't matter. It sounds like teams ahead of the Knicks (e.g. Washington) will draft him. I just hope we don't give up something to trade up and get Curry. If we're going to trade up in the draft it better be for Rubio.

I keep repeating myself here and nobody seems to agree with me, but the best option is to trade the 8th pick + Eddy Curry for an expiring contract.

Is drafting Johnny Flynn (the next Earl Watson) really worth Eddy Curry f#@king up our 2010 plans?

GetRealistic

Starter
Eddy Curry will lose enough weight to be traded during the season.. Walsh and D'Antoni will be smart enough to feature Curry to the point where he seems like he can be productive and then we will trade him....

To a team thats competitve and already in a bad cap situation Curry's contract isn't that much of a killer and will take a chance on him.. Off the top of my head i'd say a team like Dallas or even San Antonio (the second people arrive there they turn it around) would take a chance on him...

No need to give up our only draft pick over the next two years when we don't have to.

I mean shit we got somebody to take Zach Randolphs awful contract.

ANU

Starter
i think he'll probably get drafted before the knicks pick.i just hope we end up with someone i'd like(holiday,rubio,derozan,flynn,curry)

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Larry Hughes and Quentin Richardson suck. If the Knicks get Stephen Curry, it would give them an upgrade at the shooting guard position. I think the Knicks should try to get Hasheem Thabeet, but Stephen Curry would also be a decent pick. It's better than getting another small forward.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Eddy Curry will lose enough weight to be traded during the season.. Walsh and D'Antoni will be smart enough to feature Curry to the point where he seems like he can be productive and then we will trade him....

To a team thats competitve and already in a bad cap situation Curry's contract isn't that much of a killer and will take a chance on him.. Off the top of my head i'd say a team like Dallas or even San Antonio (the second people arrive there they turn it around) would take a chance on him...

No need to give up our only draft pick over the next two years when we don't have to.

I mean shit we got somebody to take Zach Randolphs awful contract.

You're awfuly optimistic about Curry losing weight, getting significant minutes in D'Antoni's system and being traded outright for a contract that expires the same season.

Zach was traded (unbelievable, I admit) but he was producing quality numbers. He was also traded for players contracts that expired two seasons from when they were traded. The closer we get to this year's trade deadline, the more valuable the 2010 expiring contracts will be. Will Curry be that valuable before the trade deadline?

I'm just very doubtful all that can happen. Plus I have little faith in Curry. And I don't see anybody available at the 8th spot worth risking it all for.

smokes

Huge Member
You're awfuly optimistic about Curry losing weight, getting significant minutes in D'Antoni's system and being traded outright for a contract that expires the same season.

Zach was traded (unbelievable, I admit) but he was producing quality numbers. He was also traded for players contracts that expired two seasons from when they were traded. The closer we get to this year's trade deadline, the more valuable the 2010 expiring contracts will be. Will Curry be that valuable before the trade deadline?

I'm just very doubtful all that can happen. Plus I have little faith in Curry. And I don't see anybody available at the 8th spot worth risking it all for.

I don't see why they couldn't make it appear like Curry is on form, as everyone says, this system inflates statistics. If he drops a few pounds and gets 30+ minutes a game he could probably put up 20-10 if they feed him the ball enough. Just have to hope he doesn't suffer from Marbury syndrome after not playing for almost a year.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
It doesn't matter. It sounds like teams ahead of the Knicks (e.g. Washington) will draft him. I just hope we don't give up something to trade up and get Curry. If we're going to trade up in the draft it better be for Rubio.

I keep repeating myself here and nobody seems to agree with me, but the best option is to trade the 8th pick + Eddy Curry for an expiring contract.

Is drafting Johnny Flynn (the next Earl Watson) really worth Eddy Curry f#@king up our 2010 plans?

I don't think it is possible. I don't think any team can have back to back drafts without a draft pick. unless you mean trading the 8th and eddy for an expiring contract and a late first round pick(???)

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't see why they couldn't make it appear like Curry is on form, as everyone says, this system inflates statistics. If he drops a few pounds and gets 30+ minutes a game he could probably put up 20-10 if they feed him the ball enough. Just have to hope he doesn't suffer from Marbury syndrome after not playing for almost a year.

Curry...20-10??? Now that's being optimistic. Like you said, he hasn't played in a year. I really wonder how much playing time he'll get. Seems too risky to me. Just get rid of him now.

I don't think it is possible. I don't think any team can have back to back drafts without a draft pick. unless you mean trading the 8th and eddy for an expiring contract and a late first round pick(???)

Is that a rule? Just curious. Besides, I still think we can buy a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder.

Let's face it, this draft is not very good. Why make a pick just because we can? This team is full of bench players. There is nobody, I mean nobody, that will be a good NBA starter at the 8th spot. Why get another bench player when we have the chance to rid ourselves of Curry and start signing some real starters?

jpz17

Starter
very interesting article. I have to say I'm fine with getting him. If a guy as great as Houston says that he will be great. I have changed my mind now :D . lol

Don't go crazy, but I might rather have him than Rubio, just my opinion.

Houston knows his stuff

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Consecutive Draft Pick Trades

I believe the rule is that you may not trade two consecutive "future" first round draft picks. We will not have a 2010 first round pick. As a result, we could not trade our 2011 first round pick.

However, and though it appears hyper-technical, on draft night our first round pick at the 8 spot is no longer a "future" pick. As a result we can trade it even though we will not have a pick in 2010.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
I believe the rule is that you may not trade two consecutive "future" first round draft picks. We will not have a 2010 first round pick. As a result, we could not trade our 2011 first round pick.

However, and though it appears hyper-technical, on draft night our first round pick at the 8 spot is no longer a "future" pick. As a result we can trade it even though we will not have a pick in 2010.

We can not trade our first round pick this year without getting back a first round pick this year or the next.

''The "Seven Year Rule" allows teams to trade draft picks up to seven years into the future (for example, if this is the 2008-09 season, then a 2015 pick can be traded, but a 2016 pick cannot). It is common to "protect" picks depending on their position (e.g. "we keep it if it's in the lottery, otherwise you get it"). This helps to avoid a repeat of some unfortunate past trades, such as the trade between the Cavs and Lakers where LA received what turned out to be the first overall pick in the 1982 draft, with which they selected James Worthy. It is common for these protections to relax over several years. For example, a team might convey its own pick in the first draft in which such pick is not a "Protected Pick," where a Protected Pick is defined as picks 1-14 in 2008; 1-10 in 2009; 1-6 in 2010; and unprotected in 2011. If the team owns one of the protected picks in 2008, 2009 or 2010, then they keep it; otherwise it is conveyed to the other team. If they make it to 2011 without having conveyed a pick, then the other team gets their 2011 pick unconditionally.
Teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is known as the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades (such as the above-mentioned 1982 trade) that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a first round pick in consecutive future years.
The Stepien rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2005-06 season, then a team can trade its 2006 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2005 pick, since their 2005 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2006 and 2007 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.
These rules often combine to make trade terms very complicated. For example, if a team owes another team two future first round picks, and both picks are protected, then the first pick would be conveyed in the first draft in which it is not a Protected Pick (as described above), and the second pick would be conveyed in the "First Allowable Draft" (per the Stepien rule) or subsequent draft, in which that pick is not a Protected Pick. But since both picks must be conveyed within seven years, the protection on the first pick cannot last more than four years (i.e., the first pick must be conveyed by the fifth year).''

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q71

LJ4ptplay

Starter
^ OldTimer is right though. On draft night we will be able to trade our first round pick. It is no longer a future pick (2009 pick for the 2009/2010 season). When the clock starts for us to pick #8, we can trade it and Eddy Curry for an expiring contract.

JayJ44

Starter
Larry Hughes and Quentin Richardson suck. If the Knicks get Stephen Curry, it would give them an upgrade at the shooting guard position. I think the Knicks should try to get Hasheem Thabeet, but Stephen Curry would also be a decent pick. It's better than getting another small forward.

Stephen Curry can't play SG in the NBA, he would get raped. Way too small and weak. If he can't be a good enough passer/facilitator to play PG, he's a bench player a la Jannero Pargo.

I hope we don't draft Curry. I think he'll be an ok NBA player, but I think we can do better. I would prefer Ty Lawson, Tyreke Evans, or Jonny Flynn.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I would prefer Ty Lawson, Tyreke Evans, or Jonny Flynn.

From http://www.draftexpress.com/

Johnny Flynn
Best Case: Earl Watson
Worst Case: Omar Cook

No thanks...next...

Tyreke Evans
Best Case: Larry Hughes
Worst Case: Willie Green

No thanks...next...

Ty Lawson
Best Case: T.J. Ford
Worst Case: Jamaal Tinsley

No thanks...next...

Ty Lawson is the best out of the three but draftexpress has him drafted at #17 and nbadraft.net has him being selected at #25. Hardly worth the 8th pick.

Are any of these guys worth holding onto Eddy Curry?

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only

Interesting...now the Knicks will have another option to choose from. At the same time, Danutz' post on the issue goes back to what I was referring to. How you can't have back to back drafts without a draft pick. There are loopholes, though.

JayJ44

Starter
From http://www.draftexpress.com/

Johnny Flynn
Best Case: Earl Watson
Worst Case: Omar Cook

No thanks...next...

Tyreke Evans
Best Case: Larry Hughes
Worst Case: Willie Green

No thanks...next...

Ty Lawson
Best Case: T.J. Ford
Worst Case: Jamaal Tinsley

No thanks...next...

Ty Lawson is the best out of the three but draftexpress has him drafted at #17 and nbadraft.net has him being selected at #25. Hardly worth the 8th pick.

Are any of these guys worth holding onto Eddy Curry?

Why are you putting so much stock into the NBA comparisons at draftexpress? You should try reading the articles and watching games. They provide a lot more info.

We need more young talent. This will be our last lottery pick for awhile, since we don't have a 1st rounder next year. It's not wise to pass up on an opportunity to get cheap, young talent just to get rid of Curry. Undervaluing draft picks is one of the things that made Isiah such a bad GM.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Is that a rule? Just curious. Besides, I still think we can buy a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder.

Let's face it, this draft is not very good. Why make a pick just because we can? This team is full of bench players. There is nobody, I mean nobody, that will be a good NBA starter at the 8th spot. Why get another bench player when we have the chance to rid ourselves of Curry and start signing some real starters?

Yea, it is. There are many ways that the rule can favor us, though. The option of getting rid of curry, which you stated, is just another plus for our Knicks.

I disagree with your other statement. I think that there are many capable starters available at that 8th spot. Specially at the PG/SG position. A downside I see of not acquiring a player in this draft is that our team will be the exact same (or worse) as last years team. Most of the players available for us will be playmakers, there's no doubt. Guys like flynn, lawson, evans, holiday, derozan, and curry, will make this team better.