Rubio might fall to Knicks

JayJ44

Starter
Chad Ford has an update on the the draft and an interesting piece on the upcoming trade market.
First Ford wrote that there is a slight chance that Rubio can fall all the way to the Knicks at 8. According to Ford:
-Rubio does not want to play in Memphis
-OKC will likely pass on Rubio because of Russell Westbrook
-Sacramento likes Rubio, but they are not sold. Apparently Sacramento is growing to love Jonny Flynn and might even take him at 4.
-Rubio is apparently dodging Washington because his people feel like sharing a back-court with Gil Arenas will not work
-Minny appears to be leaning towards Curry or Evans
-Golden State can use Rubio, but they have a rocky relationship with Dan Fegan, Rubio?s agent.
-New York? the only problem here is the lost salary for dropping down to 8. But Rubio would be nuts not to be thrilled with playing here in NY. Whatever salary he would lose by slipping to 8, Rubio would make back in endorsements. No problem.
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2009/06/15/chad-fords-buzz-hawks-shopping-smith-rubio-falling/

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Rubio would be great for us, he's exactly what we need, he has superstar written all over him.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I seriously doubt Sacramento will pass on Rubio. But if we steal him at #8, I'll be going crazy. Dancing in the streets of Fort Fun, Colorado. He's the perfect PG for D'Antoni's system.

i think rubio would be a nice addition and will be great in a few yrs however i would rather have a curry or flynn cuz they are very athletic and can shoot!!!! or a holiday who is incredibly athletic strong big and can play 2 way ball
i feel like those guys will have more an immediate impact as well as have a high ceiling for developement

i do think rubio is special but i just think that he wont be a force or have an impact really until he matures and developes a little bit... unfortunately i think we need to make an impact sooner than later to lure future free agents wether they be lbj or anyone of star quality

i realize not many will agree but you need to realize i am not disagreeing that rubio is an amazing talent i just think they other guys have a chance to be stars as well and will have an impact right away
and for the record i will not be mad if we draft rubio

ANU

Starter
I seriously doubt Sacramento will pass on Rubio. But if we steal him at #8, I'll be going crazy. Dancing in the streets of Fort Fun, Colorado. He's the perfect PG for D'Antoni's system.
agreed......

if anything donnie should try to get the second pick before the draft, cause the grizz aint trading that pick if the clipps draft rubio.

i'd offer chandler and the 8th.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Rubio

Stephen Curry was beginning to grow on me, but now the "pundits" suggest he will not make it to the 8th spot. They also suggest that Jrue Holiday and and Jonny Flynn will not make it to the 8th pick. I do not think, however, that Rubio will slip to the 8th spot. We might get him, but we might have to trade up or trade with whomever takes him after the draft.

I do not have the slightest clue who the Knicks pick will be and I am not sure that whomever we pick will be the Knick rookie who plays in 2009-10. June 25th will be interesting.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Stephen Curry was beginning to grow on me, but now the "pundits" suggest he will not make it to the 8th spot. They also suggest that Jrue Holiday and and Jonny Flynn will not make it to the 8th pick. I do not think, however, that Rubio will slip to the 8th spot. We might get him, but we might have to trade up or trade with whomever takes him after the draft.

I do not have the slightest clue who the Knicks pick will be and I am not sure that whomever we pick will be the Knick rookie who plays in 2009-10. June 25th will be interesting.

This.

Im starting to hear Curry is Top 5, and that Sac or the Wiz are choosing him.

There IS a possibility, I hear Flynn's stock is going up higher than ever. Same can be said for Jrue Holiday.

New New York

Quiet Storm
No way that many teams pass on him! Only Way G-State passes is if both Curry and Rubio are still on the board and even then that is a stretch considering Curry made it clear he did not want to be drafted by them.

Sac. was rumored to have wanted Rubio so bad they wouldve taken him with the #1, so I doubt he slips past 4.

Now maybe we can trade Wilson and the number 8 for the #4 or even better (for us that is) if Donnie can buy another first rounder this year and we package it, a future second round pick and the number 8 for the number 4.

But Rubio falling the number 8 is about as likely as Lebron coming in 2010!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Here is a thought on how we get Rubio

We offer Cutino's contract and the number 8 to Sac for Kenny Thomas and cash and ofcourse the #4 saving Sac about 8 million dollars. Sac likely gets Jrue Holiday who is a player I hear they like along with 8 million in the bank.

Three of the NBA?s worst team, including the worst team at 16-59, are the least attended:
Sacramento Kings (16-59): 28 games under 75% capacity
Memphis Grizzlies (22-54): 26 games under 75%
Charlotte Bobcats (34-43): 22 games under 75%

Sac. had the worst attendance last year, and with no hope of being any better next season, meaning attendance stays down (even if they drafted Rubio) 8 million in cap covers the annual loss in tickets and merchandise this past season and the next two.

metrocard

Legend
*favorites this thread for those who doubted Rubio.

A skinny euro who won't contribute in 4 years?
He was a 14 year old kid who contributed right away in one of the top leagues in the world, Rubio is the most NBA ready player in this draft...and the most professional, tested and advanced by far. His experience makes him the number pick alone. Don't worry about him not contributing.

Ricky not being physically dominant hasn't stopped him since he was 14 and it won't stop him now.

I would be estatic if Rubio fell to us at 8.

Honestly, all the other PG's look profoundly retarded running an offense compared to Rubio...just on terms of court awareness, Ricky sees everything on offense and defense. No one else in this draft has that ability.

Who ever gets Rubio, that franchise will be the first to be a .500 +team before any other lottery team in this draft

BET ON IT.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
There's absolutely no chance is there?

Isn't Chad Ford just stirring the pot for name's sake?

I think it's 50/50 as to whether or not he even joins this years class.

$6m

That's a lot of coins he can save and enter next year.

Still, fingers crossed

dave2138

Rotation player
Wow, Memphis has to be the worst run franchise if they can't trade Rubio for a pick + something else. I think its obvious, Rubio has to go #2.. its just the question on what team trades up for him or if Memphis decides to pick him and trade Conley.

If memphis decide to miss out on the opportunity to trade or pick Rubio, then Sacramento gets to make that decision for #4.

Too many people put so much stock into where Rubio wants to play. In reality no one cares about what team Rubio plays for..the pressure will be on him to play for the team that drafts him.

pat

Starter
A skinny euro who won't contribute in 4 years?
He was a 14 year old kid who contributed right away in one of the top leagues in the world, Rubio is the most NBA ready player in this draft...and the most professional, tested and advanced by far. His experience makes him the number pick alone. Don't worry about him not contributing.

Agreed. The only thing I am worried about is his body failing him for playing professional basketball so early. He was injured a lot last season already.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I'd be very happy having rubio as our 8th pick. We wouldn't have to give up anything. It would also facilitate our draft process. We wouldn't have to make a mistake by choosing between players like curry or flynn, who do not seem to be great future ballers.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Rubio at #8 is a farfetched dream.

It would be absolutely highway robbery at that slot and the reward is much greater than the risk to draft Rubio at number 8.

That's a no brainer.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Rubio

Rubio is not going to "fall" to the Knicks picking at the 8 spot. He might well go at the 2 spot, so trading up to 3, 4 or 5 will not guarantee his selection. And trading up to 4 or 5 would not even guarantee either Rubio or Curry.

Someone quite sensibly suggested that Memphis would be taking a great risk in picking Rubio at #2, because of his apparent disinterest in playing for Memphis and a resultant loss of leverage in trading his rights post draft.

If some other team, Minnesota, for example, trades for the pick, we are not likely to see Rubio at least until he becomes a free agent several years down the road. If Memphis keeps the pick and drafts Rubio, it is likely to offer his rights to the highest bidder. Once sign and trades for Lee and Nate become trade assets, we can be in the bidding. Who we pick at the 8 spot will be important.

If Memphis were to keep Rubio, i.e., they are able to sign him, then perhaps we can work a deal for Conley.

If Rubio is available at #3 and the Thunder take him, I think it less likely that we can make a trade. They have two expiring contracts in Watson and Atkins totalling, in combination, about $10M. Cutino's equivalent contract -- but 80% insured -- would save them about $8M. But they would also have to like what we get at #8.

If Rubio is still there at #4 for the Kings, as New NewYork suggested, we could absorb Kenny Thomas's expiring contract along with an 8th pick-- Holiday?-- that is attractive to Sacramento.

I do not see Rubio going past #4, but if he reaches #5 and Washington, I think we would have to give up.

In any event, Rubio needs the income from something like the 2 spot to help take care of his buy-out obligations.