Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rubio might fall to Knicks

Originally Posted by metrocard
    A skinny euro who won't contribute in 4 years?
    He was a 14 year old kid who contributed right away in one of the top leagues in the world, Rubio is the most NBA ready player in this draft...and the most professional, tested and advanced by far. His experience makes him the number pick alone. Don't worry about him not contributing.
    Agreed. The only thing I am worried about is his body failing him for playing professional basketball so early. He was injured a lot last season already.

I'd be very happy having rubio as our 8th pick. We wouldn't have to give up anything. It would also facilitate our draft process. We wouldn't have to make a mistake by choosing between players like curry or flynn, who do not seem to be great future ballers.

Rubio at #8 is a farfetched dream.

It would be absolutely highway robbery at that slot and the reward is much greater than the risk to draft Rubio at number 8.

That's a no brainer.

Superstar

Default Rubio

Rubio is not going to "fall" to the Knicks picking at the 8 spot. He might well go at the 2 spot, so trading up to 3, 4 or 5 will not guarantee his selection. And trading up to 4 or 5 would not even guarantee either Rubio or Curry.

Someone quite sensibly suggested that Memphis would be taking a great risk in picking Rubio at #2, because of his apparent disinterest in playing for Memphis and a resultant loss of leverage in trading his rights post draft.

If some other team, Minnesota, for example, trades for the pick, we are not likely to see Rubio at least until he becomes a free agent several years down the road. If Memphis keeps the pick and drafts Rubio, it is likely to offer his rights to the highest bidder. Once sign and trades for Lee and Nate become trade assets, we can be in the bidding. Who we pick at the 8 spot will be important.

If Memphis were to keep Rubio, i.e., they are able to sign him, then perhaps we can work a deal for Conley.

If Rubio is available at #3 and the Thunder take him, I think it less likely that we can make a trade. They have two expiring contracts in Watson and Atkins totalling, in combination, about $10M. Cutino's equivalent contract -- but 80% insured -- would save them about $8M. But they would also have to like what we get at #8.

If Rubio is still there at #4 for the Kings, as New NewYork suggested, we could absorb Kenny Thomas's expiring contract along with an 8th pick-- Holiday?-- that is attractive to Sacramento.

I do not see Rubio going past #4, but if he reaches #5 and Washington, I think we would have to give up.

In any event, Rubio needs the income from something like the 2 spot to help take care of his buy-out obligations.

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    In any event, Rubio needs the income from something like the 2 spot to help take care of his buy-out obligations.
    You make a lot of good points but this isn't really true, playing in NY = $$$.

Veteran

If Rubio falls to 8th and we draft him, I am taking Metro's advice and becoming a Bulls fan. Point blank. Wasting draft picks on overhyped Euro's projects 2 years in a row will be too much for me to stand. If Rubio does fall to us, its because GM's have recognized the spots on that leopard. Say it isn't so, NO RUBIO!!!!

Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    If Rubio falls to 8th and we draft him, I am taking Metro's advice and becoming a Bulls fan. Point blank. Wasting draft picks on overhyped Euro's projects 2 years in a row will be too much for me to stand. If Rubio does fall to us, its because GM's have recognized the spots on that leopard. Say it isn't so, NO RUBIO!!!!
    The funny thing is that there has been more busts from players who have been hyped in The States coming straight from highschool and the NCAA than the Euroleague!

The ratio of good players to busts is far better with the Euroleague than the any other pool players are being pulled from. Look any player drafted has bust potential, there isnt a sure shot, with that said Rubio is real and if by some miracle he is available at 8, then even his biggest doubters would have to say it is worth the "risk" of taken him there.

Again it is way too early to call Danillo a bust, if in the 2010-2011 season he is still playing at the same level then we can call him a bust.

For the record Garnett and Rasheed Wallace was once labled a bust, with Bryant "Big Country" Reeves labled the steal (because of his upsided) of the 1995 draft by the experts during the All Star break of the 1995-96 season....point being, give it time!
    Last edited by New New York; Jun 16, 2009 at 20:52.

The one problem with Rubio is that he can't shoot well and that's a pretty big part of what made Nash a success running D'Antoni's system. I'm sure he'll improve given that he's so young now, but don't be shocked if it takes awhile and he never shoots all that good even at his peak.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Rondo is one of the worst shooters in terms of guards in the NBA...he still manages to have success with his other abilities.

Jason Kidd was considered a poor shooter when he came into the league as well. And there hasn't been a PG coming into the draft with this kind of passing ability and IQ since Jason Kidd.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Rubio wont fall to eight, but the Knicks could trade Mobley's contract for the #2 pick. The Grizzlies are in need of cap space so it could work. Mobely's contract which 80% is paid by insurance and the #8 pick for the #2 pick to the Knicks.

This of course would eliminate the Tmac trade but it's not like Tmac will contribute right away anyway. Then again, we could trade Curry and Huges for McGrady.

Side Note: Knicks need to get Marcin Gortat of the Orlando Magic. Give him mid level exemption or something. He's a good underrated center.

Originally Posted by donchris
    Rubio wont fall to eight, but the Knicks could trade Mobley's contract for the #2 pick. The Grizzlies are in need of cap space so it could work. Mobely's contract which 80% is paid by insurance and the #8 pick for the #2 pick to the Knicks.
    Mobley's contract + the 8th pick for Darko and the #2 pick. That would save the Grizzlies even more money and would give us some shot-blocking in the paint.

Side note: I would sh*t my pants if Donnie could make that work. (I meant that in a good way).

Rubio interview.

The kid is humble when he talk about other players (not like Jennings) but at the same time very smart on what it takes to be a good point guard (respect) and poised to face the NBA.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Spanish point guard [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]was kind enough to spend some time with The Bee during his [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] visit, cramming the one-on-one interview in between his physical at the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and his dinner with Kings officials downtown.
    In a hotel chat that came with a few logistical and technical challenges, the below video comes with one disclaimer: our photographer, Hector Amezcua, was videotaping without my knowledge. That doesn't really matter until the midway point, where I fumble with my handheld video cam while not realizing until after the fact that I didn't need to be taping at all. It's a comical moment in an otherwise interesting eight minutes.
    After coming from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] just days ago and then from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] today, Rubio does not have any other visits scheduled on his trip. The next day could very well determine whether that remains the case, so it's a vital time for this high-profile prospect in that respect. We'll obviously weigh in on his visit and whether he's headed to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in tomorrow's paper (read story [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]). Also, there is a transcript of the interview below the video (just click on 'continue reading')

RICKY RUBIO
    On why it was a priority to visit with the Kings...
    "I came yesterday from Barcelona to LA, then today I take a flight to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to visit the team, the city, and all the GMs. We're going to see what they want about me, they're going to explain what they want.
    On how he sees the Kings as a fit for him...
    "It's a good team, they are very good players and young too. That's important, because I'm a young player and when I come to any team (in) [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] I want to get friends, young friends to try to get with them and we will see."
    On what the Olympic experience did to prove to himself he could compete in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]..
    "Olympic Game was one of the best championships that I've played before. I played against the best [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] players, and the best point guards, like Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd. I learned a lot to play against them. I watched all the games from the US, because I want to learn from these people. I think I proved a lot in this championship."
    On his [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] goals...
    "I come here to play and to play the minutes. I didn't come here to play in the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and (be) done. No, I want to be a really good point guard here in the best league in the world, and I want to have minutes. So I have to find the team who wants me, who really wants me."
    On whether his buyout will keep him playing this season in the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]..
    "That's hard, but my agents are working on that. It's a big buyout, but my agents are working on that. I have all confidence to resolve this problem. And then, if I come here, I want to play, so I know that I can play here because in the Olympic games, I feel like I'm ready to play."
    Describing his game...
    "A point guard, so that means I have to...put all the players in his position and what they have to do. That's hard when you are young, but I had a really good teacher in my first year, in (Spanish) ACB (League) was Elmer Bennett. He (taught) me a lot. He was like 35 years old, and he was like my dad on the court. He (taught) me a lot. My best thing is what play I have to do at the right time. And then I love to run, to defend and run. That's it."
    On his leadership ability and the fact that Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie was impressed by that quality in his European scouting trip last month...
    "That's great, no? That sounds great (regarding Petrie). I'm only 18 years old, but I'm in the court like big big man. If your teammates don't respect you, you can't be a point guard, so that's very important. When you are a leader, the point guard who leads your team, your team gets better."
    On handling the target that will likely be on his back in the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]..
    "Of course. I like the (challenges)...I love to play, and when I have a game, I try to get better. And if he tries to beat me, I will be better. If everybody tries to compete against me, I will be better."
    On the Kings roster...
    "I don't know the names, but I looked at the rosters. I looked at age, when they were born. That's important that the team has young guys." - Sam Amick
    Last edited by DANUTZ39; Jun 17, 2009 at 11:29.

Default knicks draft news on ricky rubio

As an aside regarding Ricky Rubio, don't see the Knicks trading up for him. One Knick person told me three weeks ago. "We need to know more about him.'' That never happened. Rubio skipped the Italian draft camp and is not working out in the States. Dan Fegan, the cutthroat agent, is either a genius or losing his kid money by having him fall. Knicks would like to meet with him next week when he's in town.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

KnicksonLIN.com

I want the Knicks to draft a center or shooting guard, but if they get Rubio, I won't be upset. It's better than drafting another expendable small forward.