Rubio might fall to Knicks

jimkcchief88

All Star
If Rubio falls to 8th and we draft him, I am taking Metro's advice and becoming a Bulls fan. Point blank. Wasting draft picks on overhyped Euro's projects 2 years in a row will be too much for me to stand. If Rubio does fall to us, its because GM's have recognized the spots on that leopard. Say it isn't so, NO RUBIO!!!!

New New York

Quiet Storm
If Rubio falls to 8th and we draft him, I am taking Metro's advice and becoming a Bulls fan. Point blank. Wasting draft picks on overhyped Euro's projects 2 years in a row will be too much for me to stand. If Rubio does fall to us, its because GM's have recognized the spots on that leopard. Say it isn't so, NO RUBIO!!!!

The funny thing is that there has been more busts from players who have been hyped in The States coming straight from highschool and the NCAA than the Euroleague!

The ratio of good players to busts is far better with the Euroleague than the any other pool players are being pulled from. Look any player drafted has bust potential, there isnt a sure shot, with that said Rubio is real and if by some miracle he is available at 8, then even his biggest doubters would have to say it is worth the "risk" of taken him there.

Again it is way too early to call Danillo a bust, if in the 2010-2011 season he is still playing at the same level then we can call him a bust.

For the record Garnett and Rasheed Wallace was once labled a bust, with Bryant "Big Country" Reeves labled the steal (because of his upsided) of the 1995 draft by the experts during the All Star break of the 1995-96 season....point being, give it time!

Last edited:

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
The one problem with Rubio is that he can't shoot well and that's a pretty big part of what made Nash a success running D'Antoni's system. I'm sure he'll improve given that he's so young now, but don't be shocked if it takes awhile and he never shoots all that good even at his peak.

metrocard

Legend
Rondo is one of the worst shooters in terms of guards in the NBA...he still manages to have success with his other abilities.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Jason Kidd was considered a poor shooter when he came into the league as well. And there hasn't been a PG coming into the draft with this kind of passing ability and IQ since Jason Kidd.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Rubio wont fall to eight, but the Knicks could trade Mobley's contract for the #2 pick. The Grizzlies are in need of cap space so it could work. Mobely's contract which 80% is paid by insurance and the #8 pick for the #2 pick to the Knicks.

This of course would eliminate the Tmac trade but it's not like Tmac will contribute right away anyway. Then again, we could trade Curry and Huges for McGrady.

Side Note: Knicks need to get Marcin Gortat of the Orlando Magic. Give him mid level exemption or something. He's a good underrated center.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Rubio wont fall to eight, but the Knicks could trade Mobley's contract for the #2 pick. The Grizzlies are in need of cap space so it could work. Mobely's contract which 80% is paid by insurance and the #8 pick for the #2 pick to the Knicks.

Mobley's contract + the 8th pick for Darko and the #2 pick. That would save the Grizzlies even more money and would give us some shot-blocking in the paint.

Side note: I would sh*t my pants if Donnie could make that work. (I meant that in a good way).

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Rubio interview.

The kid is humble when he talk about other players (not like Jennings) but at the same time very smart on what it takes to be a good point guard (respect) and poised to face the NBA.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/2009/06/bee-exclusive-i.html

Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio was kind enough to spend some time with The Bee during his Sacramento visit, cramming the one-on-one interview in between his physical at the UC Davis Medical Center and his dinner with Kings officials downtown.
In a hotel chat that came with a few logistical and technical challenges, the below video comes with one disclaimer: our photographer, Hector Amezcua, was videotaping without my knowledge. That doesn't really matter until the midway point, where I fumble with my handheld video cam while not realizing until after the fact that I didn't need to be taping at all. It's a comical moment in an otherwise interesting eight minutes.
After coming from Spain just days ago and then from Los Angeles to Sacramento today, Rubio does not have any other visits scheduled on his trip. The next day could very well determine whether that remains the case, so it's a vital time for this high-profile prospect in that respect. We'll obviously weigh in on his visit and whether he's headed to Sacramento in tomorrow's paper (read story here). Also, there is a transcript of the interview below the video (just click on 'continue reading')

RICKY RUBIO
On why it was a priority to visit with the Kings...
"I came yesterday from Barcelona to LA, then today I take a flight to Sacramento to visit the team, the city, and all the GMs. We're going to see what they want about me, they're going to explain what they want.
On how he sees the Kings as a fit for him...
"It's a good team, they are very good players and young too. That's important, because I'm a young player and when I come to any team (in) NBA, I want to get friends, young friends to try to get with them and we will see."
On what the Olympic experience did to prove to himself he could compete in NBA...
"Olympic Game was one of the best championships that I've played before. I played against the best NBA players, and the best point guards, like Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd. I learned a lot to play against them. I watched all the games from the US, because I want to learn from these people. I think I proved a lot in this championship."
On his NBA goals...
"I come here to play and to play the minutes. I didn't come here to play in the NBA, and (be) done. No, I want to be a really good point guard here in the best league in the world, and I want to have minutes. So I have to find the team who wants me, who really wants me."
On whether his buyout will keep him playing this season in the NBA...
"That's hard, but my agents are working on that. It's a big buyout, but my agents are working on that. I have all confidence to resolve this problem. And then, if I come here, I want to play, so I know that I can play here because in the Olympic games, I feel like I'm ready to play."
Describing his game...
"A point guard, so that means I have to...put all the players in his position and what they have to do. That's hard when you are young, but I had a really good teacher in my first year, in (Spanish) ACB (League) was Elmer Bennett. He (taught) me a lot. He was like 35 years old, and he was like my dad on the court. He (taught) me a lot. My best thing is what play I have to do at the right time. And then I love to run, to defend and run. That's it."
On his leadership ability and the fact that Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie was impressed by that quality in his European scouting trip last month...
"That's great, no? That sounds great (regarding Petrie). I'm only 18 years old, but I'm in the court like big big man. If your teammates don't respect you, you can't be a point guard, so that's very important. When you are a leader, the point guard who leads your team, your team gets better."
On handling the target that will likely be on his back in the NBA...
"Of course. I like the (challenges)...I love to play, and when I have a game, I try to get better. And if he tries to beat me, I will be better. If everybody tries to compete against me, I will be better."
On the Kings roster...
"I don't know the names, but I looked at the rosters. I looked at age, when they were born. That's important that the team has young guys." - Sam Amick

Last edited:

lumbardar

Rookie
knicks draft news on ricky rubio

As an aside regarding Ricky Rubio, don't see the Knicks trading up for him. One Knick person told me three weeks ago. "We need to know more about him.'' That never happened. Rubio skipped the Italian draft camp and is not working out in the States. Dan Fegan, the cutthroat agent, is either a genius or losing his kid money by having him fall. Knicks would like to meet with him next week when he's in town.
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/knicks/archives/2009/06/derozan_and_don.html

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I want the Knicks to draft a center or shooting guard, but if they get Rubio, I won't be upset. It's better than drafting another expendable small forward.

metrocard

Legend
How many times have you seen a player show essentially zero handle in college become a slashing star who can weave through defenders in the paint in the NBA? This basically never happens.

Good luck on predicting DeRozan will be the first.

DeRozan's athleticism just like Holiday's overrated athleticism and Brandon Jennings are a waste and a big tease. Dude can't shoot a 3 for his life...what will he do in the D'Antoni offense? That boy better improve that range and handles if he wants to be a productive NBAer.

jimkcchief88

All Star
The funny thing is that there has been more busts from players who have been hyped in The States coming straight from highschool and the NCAA than the Euroleague!

The ratio of good players to busts is far better with the Euroleague than the any other pool players are being pulled from. Look any player drafted has bust potential, there isnt a sure shot, with that said Rubio is real and if by some miracle he is available at 8, then even his biggest doubters would have to say it is worth the "risk" of taken him there.

Again it is way too early to call Danillo a bust, if in the 2010-2011 season he is still playing at the same level then we can call him a bust.

For the record Garnett and Rasheed Wallace was once labled a bust, with Bryant "Big Country" Reeves labled the steal (because of his upsided) of the 1995 draft by the experts during the All Star break of the 1995-96 season....point being, give it time!

Thank you for the history lesson, Mr Obvious. Of course there are more NCAA busts in the NBA than Euroleager's. The NBA drafts more NCAA players than Euroleagers so the rate of failure is higher. That being said, point taken about giving it time. But as I have said about a million times, draftees will ALWAYS be compared to thier contemporaries. Sam Bowie is a bust because he was drafted over Micheal Jordan. If you compare Gallo to the rest of his draft class, at this point he is a bust. Now they always say it takes at least 2-3 years to properly grade a draft, but for now Gallo is a bust. My problem is that Gallo and Rubio as well are projects meaning not NBA ready either physically, mentally, or both. With high draft picks in the NBA, you want guys that can help you right away, unless you are drafting the next Dwight Howard or Jermain O'neal.

JayJ44

Starter
Thank you for the history lesson, Mr Obvious. Of course there are more NCAA busts in the NBA than Euroleager's. The NBA drafts more NCAA players than Euroleagers so the rate of failure is higher. That being said, point taken about giving it time. But as I have said about a million times, draftees will ALWAYS be compared to thier contemporaries. Sam Bowie is a bust because he was drafted over Micheal Jordan. If you compare Gallo to the rest of his draft class, at this point he is a bust. Now they always say it takes at least 2-3 years to properly grade a draft, but for now Gallo is a bust. My problem is that Gallo and Rubio as well are projects meaning not NBA ready either physically, mentally, or both. With high draft picks in the NBA, you want guys that can help you right away, unless you are drafting the next Dwight Howard or Jermain O'neal.

There's a difference between being a project and having an injury. Gallo was one of the most NBA ready players in the 2008 draft. Unfortunately he got injured. Shit happens. He'll be back next year, hopefully at 100%.

Rubio is more NBA ready than most of the guys in the draft. He played at the highest level of competition outside the NBA. He was playing on one hand this past season, and still played well. His combination of court vision, passing, and defense make him the best PG in this draft. Why the bias against Euro players?

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
There's a difference between being a project and having an injury. Gallo was one of the most NBA ready players in the 2008 draft. Unfortunately he got injured. Shit happens. He'll be back next year, hopefully at 100%.

Rubio is more NBA ready than most of the guys in the draft. He played at the highest level of competition outside the NBA. He was playing on one hand this past season, and still played well. His combination of court vision, passing, and defense make him the best PG in this draft. Why the bias against Euro players?

Nicely said. Right on.

New New York

Quiet Storm

I actually didnt say rate, I said ratio. Ratio is a term used when making the comparison of two similar things (but not identical, usually one does out number the other, and you call me Mr. Obvious) in order to tell which is more precise,accurate,consistient, etc. Now, thank me for the English lesson!

Now back to Danillo....Why hasnt the league written off Greg Oden yet? Reason being is that the most people realize that he has not played up to par yet from being hurt. Being Hurt does not mean the kid can't play, or he is a "project". A project is player with raw talent, but does not know how to play the game, how does that apply to Danillo or Rubio?

Now compared to his contemporaries (and using your Danillo is a bust logic),Wilson Chanldler,Spencer Hawes,Jokiam Noah, Yi, Nick Young, are just a short list of players who Portland should've drafted over Oden because they all contributed more to their teams right away. More history for you...John Wallace,Frye,Balkman,and Collins all contributed to our team right away, and Frye contributed while Bynum was in The D-Leauge!

Look we are all upset about how Danillo's rookie season played out, but, to call him a bust is short-sighted

jimkcchief88

All Star

Because it sounds like to me he is a big fish in a small pond. Can we work off of the basic premise that the best basketball in the world is played in these here United States??? So if that's the case then how has he played against the best talent??? It is not that I have a bias against Euro players, but I don't think you can truly judge Euro-talent until it hits our shores. There is a reason why foreign born players haven't stormed the gates like Major League Baseball. Its because we have the best atheletes and best basketball coaches in the world. Of course any draft pick is risky, but drafting a guy that hasn't cut his teeth here in the States, and then expecting that same player to overcome the cultural and language barriers to dominate our league is a tall order. Sure there is are exceptions to every rule and Rubio might be one, but even so he will be a project. Unless I missed something and he led Spain to a gold while dropping a 50 spot on us, Rubio will be a project. Notice what the Knick's scout said about him above," We need to know more about him." Its not like he was playing at Syracuse or Duke or even in the US to begin with. So how do you scout the kid??? Pay a scout to follow Rubio around his Euroleague games in this current economic climate???

jimkcchief88

All Star
I actually didnt say rate, I said ratio. Ratio is a term used when making the comparison of two similar things (but not identical, usually one does out number the other, and you call me Mr. Obvious) in order to tell which is more precise,accurate,consistient, etc. Now, thank me for the English lesson!

Now back to Danillo....Why hasnt the league written off Greg Oden yet? Reason being is that the most people realize that he has not played up to par yet from being hurt. Being Hurt does not mean the kid can't play, or he is a "project". A project is player with raw talent, but does not know how to play the game, how does that apply to Danillo or Rubio?

Now compared to his contemporaries (and using your Danillo is a bust logic),Wilson Chanldler,Spencer Hawes,Jokiam Noah, Yi, Nick Young, are just a short list of players who Portland should've drafted over Oden because they all contributed more to their teams right away. More history for you...John Wallace,Frye,Balkman,and Collins all contributed to our team right away, and Frye contributed while Bynum was in The D-Leauge!

Look we are all upset about how Danillo's rookie season played out, but, to call him a bust is short-sighted

Thanks for the clarification. I get what you are saying. Oden is a project as well. Most high school big men that make the jump to the NBA are projects unless your name is Moses Malone. Project applies to Danillo and Rubio because raw talent aside, they are not used to the NBA style game and also the cultural and language differences that occompany playing here in the states. The league has not written off Oden because he has been on ESPN since high school, so there is a certain expectation of sucess that goes along with that. So Oden has gotten a pass, right or wrong.

metrocard

Legend
Thanks for the clarification. I get what you are saying. Oden is a project as well. Most high school big men that make the jump to the NBA are projects unless your name is Moses Malone. Project applies to Danillo and Rubio because raw talent aside, they are not used to the NBA style game and also the cultural and language differences that occompany playing here in the states. The league has not written off Oden because he has been on ESPN since high school, so there is a certain expectation of sucess that goes along with that. So Oden has gotten a pass, right or wrong.

The site's biggest moron speaks again.

Gallinari and Rubio are both proven.

Proven players aren't projects.

Darko and Nicolas Tskiiskivilli were projects.

Unproven Euros hyped by Chad Ford.

Rubio and Gallinari were hyped up before they lost their virginity..and were playing at a high level against elite competition.

NCAA is nothing compared to the Euroleague. (comparing teams, and level of competition).

NCAA may have a couple of talented players that get drafted in the lottery, but thats it. The rest of the roster are loaded with college kids, your very average to below average who don't really have the skill to play basketball for a living like the guys do in the Euroleague...majority of NCAA players go the whole 4 years to live other professions besides basketball.

You should know this already...but you're the site's biggest idiot so you will never know anything.

Jamal Crawford is still the NBA's biggest loser who nobody wants and Eddy Curry remains a BUST and is a PROJECT...

Oden is a ****ing pussy...the league has written him off? Who the **** is the league?

Your post are so stupid.
Go eat a homosexual cock and die of aids.

lumbardar

Rookie
Everyone in Sacramento was a little bummed out about the Ricky Rubio visit. Rubio flew into town on Tuesday, had dinner and interviews with the front office and even chatted with the media. However, he came down with a fever and sore throat Tuesday night and wasn't able to work out for the team Wednesday. He was so ill that he didn't even get a chance to sit down with the Maloof family, which owns the Kings.

He was going to try to make a go of it Thursday morning, but he woke up still not feeling well and ended up flying back to L.A.

At this point, Rubio's schedule is up in the air. He'll try to get well and then decide which teams to visit. Another visit with Sacramento is still possible.

One Kings source reiterated that the organization still has doubts about Rubio, and the visit did little to alleviate them. However, there is a split in the camps in Sacramento, with some pushing for Rubio or, if he's gone, Jrue Holiday. Others are pushing for Jonny Flynn and/or Tyreke Evans.

Plus, still more prospects are on their way to Sacramento for workouts. DeMar DeRozan will be in on Saturday. Stephen Curry and Evans will be in town Sunday. This will be the second visit for Evans, whose first visit wasn't terrific, as we reported.

Sources close to the situation continue to insist that, in the end, the most likely scenario is Rubio going to the Kings at No. 4 if he's still on the board. If he's gone, it sounds like Flynn has moved into second place.

However, the focus on Rubio in the coming days may shift to Oklahoma City. The Thunder continue to show strong interest in Rubio and are pushing for a meeting, physical and a review of Rubio's contract in Spain. If Rubio feels better and is up for the visit, that's where he'll head next.

I got this on espn insider on ricky rubio